Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you wear rubber or latex gloves when working on the car?
Yes. 34 19.65%
No. 139 80.35%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #61
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where's the "lolz" option on the poll?

Haha, but seriously. I'd only do it if my car was clean all over, and didn't want to get grubby hands where they shouldn't be.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #62
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

For those chemically minded, is that hydrofuric(sic) acid like pickling paste that is used to clean stainless steel?
Old 21-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #63
james22
With da Warlords

nah, burning hot engine oil down the inside of your hands hurts alot less, when theres no glove to melt / hold the burning hot oil there lol

P.S - Don;t ask...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #64
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
nah, burning hot engine oil down the inside of your hands hurts alot less, when theres no glove to melt / hold the burning hot oil there lol

P.S - Don;t ask...
Too late, what did you do?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #65
james22
With da Warlords

First ever oil change in my trusty (eg ziptied) EA Falcon.

Anyway I proceeded to warm the car up before changing the oil to help it drain (read thrashed the **** out of it). Then put it on the stands at home and put my trusty latex gloves on.

Within 3 mins of the engine being turned off I had my 19mm spanner on the sump plug loosening it up preparing to drop the oil, when the sump plug dropped off as it does.

To my utter surprise (DOH), a 100*C sump plug and 0.3mm latex gloves don't mix really well. The sump plug, melted the latex glove and put a big hole in the palm of the gloves, which then proceeded to fill up with excruciating, painfully hot 20w-50 engine oil within a matter of micro seconds. I tell you know, I have never gotten out from under a car so *-*-*-*** quick in my life lol. :

And there it is, Jamie's most moronic and nearly painful accident i ever had. The only time I go near latex now is with a condom. Actually there was this other time, but its a bit gory to go into details here. Lets just say condoms and candle wax don't mix too well either : :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #66
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
First ever oil change in my trusty (eg ziptied) EA Falcon.

Anyway I proceeded to warm the car up before changing the oil to help it drain (read thrashed the **** out of it). Then put it on the stands at home and put my trusty latex gloves on.

Within 3 mins of the engine being turned off I had my 19mm spanner on the sump plug loosening it up preparing to drop the oil, when the sump plug dropped off as it does.

To my utter surprise (DOH), a 100*C sump plug and 0.3mm latex gloves don't mix really well. The sump plug, melted the latex glove and put a big hole in the palm of the gloves, which then proceeded to fill up with excruciating, painfully hot 20w-50 engine oil within a matter of micro seconds. I tell you know, I have never gotten out from under a car so *-*-*-*** quick in my life lol. :

And there it is, Jamie's most moronic and nearly painful accident i ever had. The only time I go near latex now is with a condom. Actually there was this other time, but its a bit gory to go into details here. Lets just say condoms and candle wax don't mix too well either : :
Ahh k, I really don't want to hear about that other mishap. Best you stay away from latex full srop.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #67
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Mate, that's not the fault of the gloves... I've never been badly burnt by oil when doing a change... I once even dropped the filter into the hot oil and still didn't burn my self (I moved like bloody lightning getting out from under the car that day).
Old 21-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #68
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone do cool oil changes?!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #69
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not on the car...at work ALL THE TIME most the solvents we use on the aircraft are either defatting agents, carsonegens (however you spell it) or detremental to the health of your skin or body.

i have on my car when i was fibre glassing because i didn't want to be picking little fibres out of my hands for hours

Rhyso
rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #70
efI_Fairmont

Yeah I wear them while working on the cars. My job is white collar so I can't go to work with oily fingers or that inevitable grime that accumulates under the fingernails. I don't like the feel of them, however, so I wear a pair of mechanics gloves over them. That way, they're not going to melt if they touch anything hot, etc. And, this way it doesn't matter how dirty the mechanics gloves get.

And just to prove I am obsessed with keeping grease free - I wear overalls too.

Flame away....
efI_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #71
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I was on Australian Ford Forums but quite clearly this is some sort of softcock Euro forum, I can understand if your a dentist or surgeon but seriously its not going to kill you to get abit of grease on your hands. Harden the *.* up
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I tend to use gloves now for things like sikaflex and fishoil

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #73
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No i dont, i would love to but when wearing gloves i can never get a good grip on bolts nuts and tool etc.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #74
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

I always wear gloves while working on my 'cars'

Peace.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #75
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

I wear gloves most days as I am a spray painter and I also wear at home when working on my own cars .Nothing worse than getting paint or grease on your hands only to get on a customers or your own cars interior by accident .Quicker and easier to pull gloves of when clean hands are needed than run of and scrub and wash hands ever 5 seconds .
I am wearing them right now Lol
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #76
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony xa
Quicker and easier to pull gloves of when clean hands are needed than run of and scrub and wash hands ever 5 seconds .
I am wearing them right now Lol
Your keyboard must be real dirty! I suppose with the internet these days, you never know when you'll have to slip the glove off hey!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #77
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah. And I wear a hardhat, facemask, googles, hard-toed boots, crotch protector and knee and elbow pads too. I got the ideas from www.mancans.com.au

Last edited by Bill_R; 01-09-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #78
burnz
VFII SS UTE

"NO" you can feel inperfection better with out them
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #79
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Well I had my latex (poofter) gloves on today when doing some engine work on one of my cars.

When I finished I took them off and my hands were spotless.

Went out for dinner tonight (Fathers Day) and didn't have to hide my filthy ingrained grease stained hands under the table.

Being well presented and having clean hands at social occasions is more important to me than worrying about looking like a poof when I work on my car.

Each to their own I guess.

(My apologies to any gay people I may have inadvertantly offended with my "poof" reference - no offence intended)
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #80
Tiges
Keeping Wombats Dead

I wear gloves when I can. Being a detailer, chemicals do take a toll on the skin

2003 BA XR6 Turbo-White
210.4rwkw(stock)

Tiges is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post