Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #61
Hawkeye84

Default Re: Hot hatch for 5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
yeah looks interesting but parts for french cars have me a bit put off
Of all the french brands, Renault's are pretty solid
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #62
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
So hard to find anymore ... especially a KF.
If i see any ... they have been destroyed.
Yeah - alot of people didnt keep them factory standard...
Saw one on carsales - it needs work to bring it back

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4684964/?Cr=0
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #63
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Import Mirage with a MIVEC ... yes.
Australian delivered Mirage ... no (my wife had one when we first met .... i could run faster than it)

I did have a Satria XLi at the time with a 4G92 DOHC MIVEC that I had swapped in .... that was good fun.
Proton Satria GTi (tuned by Lotus) were an absolute gem - very underrated.
The engineer for that was a ex Subaru engineer.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #64
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a 98/99 Hyundai Excel with a 4G63 conversion
but seriously i wanted a hatch and the XR4 was at the top of the list but being a 2 door i started looking at Focus' but after driving them i bought an FG Falcon
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #65
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Anyone thought of a B16A swapped 1992 EG Civic? Thought nothing of those cars until my Russian primary school teacher back in 1999 took me for a spin in his JDM converted 1992 5 Speed Civic. The thing screamed like a banshee all the way to 9000rpm, and pulled some serious lateral G's as he flew straight through a roundabout without braking. It cornered like it was on rails and accelerated with much gusto. They still look relatively modern. The mid to late 90s models lost the plot and look dog ugly in comparison .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #66
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Proton Satria GTi (tuned by Lotus) were an absolute gem - very underrated.
The engineer for that was a ex Subaru engineer.
Very ironic that an ex Subaru engineer would be tweaking a recycled Mitsubishi Lancer. Would be like an FPV engineer tinkering on a new vehicle based on the underpinnings of a VN Commodore.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #67
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Very ironic that an ex Subaru engineer would be tweaking a recycled Mitsubishi Lancer. Would be like an FPV engineer tinkering on a new vehicle based on the underpinnings of a VN Commodore.
I suppose it's all up to how much they are getting paid. Now whilst the satria gti got good reviews and handled good with the lotus input whatever whatever, it just made me think. Now that doesn't happen very often, but to the op, something that's good out of the box will get tired will lose interest faster if there is not as much aftermarket support. From here on in I can't make any suggestions but something with available upgrades and cheap enough handling and go faster bits that won't cost an arm and a leg would possibly make the experience greater. PB here, Chuck on something, PB there. Get my drift.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 12:41 AM   #68
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
He was an engineer at Proton, then moved to Subaru Australia (where he worked on loads of iconic models) and now currently at another car brand.

Ill leave it at that!
Old 14-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #69
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again,
A car from the 90s certainly wouldn't be ready for years of trouble free use without major spending. Imagine all the oil leaks and broken parts... Not a 5k project by the time it hits the road with reliable 140kW+.

I think the proposal earlier in this thread for a Renault Clio R.S could be one of the few true hot hatches within the budget, and it comes with the track performance already built into it. No mods needed.

Another car that would be robust, safe, and great car for the value could be Saab 9-3 Turbo from 2001 - 2005. Some of the Aero or Viggen models are high performance cars, and they are within the 5k budget.

In 2004 I was driving rental cars for over 6 months, while waiting for a company car from my employer. One of the rental cars I had was a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with 2-litre engine.
You can probably have two Elantra in your driveway for less than the budget, and it would be a simple car to maintain, but I'm not sure if I would be seen in one.
The Hyundai goes fast in a straight line but handles very average, and would be very unsafe compared with same year Saab 9-3.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #70
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy1 no offence but how does a hyundai elantra even qualify as a hot hatch

I thought they were family cars
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #71
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is 93 Pulsar GTIR with accident damage for 3 grand on carsales.

These were nicknamed Baby Godzilla at the time even with 4WD they had trouble getting off the mark in a straight line.

If the damage isn't too bad it would be a great track car. but its probably a write off currently
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #72
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Its not like it's possible to even find a decent starion or cordia that's not been written off, and having been in a Mitsubishi before I don't rate them at all, but a 92 gsr Lancer may be something to look at. (Dunno the price but dont hate me) the import Toyota starlet GT turbos go ok.

I seriously I would not buy a Mitsubishi under most circumstances but a Sigma GSR is different, I have driven a manual non GSR Sigma and it's a fun car to drive.

But funny thing is since this thread came up I bought a (hot?) hatch yesterday after seeing it on a Facebook Buy and Sell site. Just bought it to run to work in, it's a 97 model, 1.3 twin overhead cam 5 speed manual, that's all I will say for now.

Cost me $900 to buy and $110 to insure

Best thing is it runs as new, drives as new it's our new 'beater' so I can leave the XB Ute at home for week end duties and the occasional run to work on a nice day.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #73
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I seriously I would not buy a Mitsubishi under most circumstances but a Sigma GSR is different, I have driven a manual non GSR Sigma and it's a fun car to drive.

But funny thing is since this thread came up I bought a (hot?) hatch yesterday after seeing it on a Facebook Buy and Sell site. Just bought it to run to work in, it's a 97 model, 1.3 twin overhead cam 5 speed manual, that's all I will say for now.

Cost me $900 to buy and $110 to insure

Best thing is it runs as new, drives as new it's our new 'beater' so I can leave the XB Ute at home for week end duties and the occasional run to work on a nice day.
I drove a Mitsubishi for 6 years. It was horrible and possibly the worst 6 years of my life. But being a work car there was nothing I could do about it. I don't get Mitsubishi people, surely the most breakdowns or failures to start aren't a badge of honor. To be fair it was an 09 l300 van, things like evolutions surely are built better.I'm still intregued as to what the op ends up purchasing.
Old 18-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #74
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTI-R. They don't deserve to be forgotten as they have been... Parts are pretty easy between SR20 bits and Pulsar bits.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #75
nstg8a

Quote:
I drove a Mitsubishi for 6 years. It was horrible and possibly the worst 6 years of my life. But being a work car there was nothing I could do about it. I don't get Mitsubishi people, surely the most breakdowns or failures to start aren't a badge of honor. To be fair it was an 09 l300 van, things like evolutions surely are built better.I'm still intregued as to what the op ends up purchasing.
Australians got ripped in general with the decent jap stuff, and mitsu stuff probably the worst hit of the lot.
Jdm mitsis were so much better put together than what was sold here, plus better optioned and better models available elsewhere.

When I had my first starion turbo a good mate had an awd cordia turbo, man that thing was like looking into the future to see what performance cars were gonna be all about.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #76
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm seriously considering an n14sss with the sr20det plenty of engineered one's around that I have seen. I also got offered an original sigma turbo but need's engine work. Would of loved to buy it and stick a 4g63 turbo in it but would be more than I can afford
I have secretly been a sigma fanboy since the late 90's mu mate had a gsr think it was. And I helped change a gearbox in another really clean gsr that was around yr2000 so they
were still plentiful then.

Update on the thread the car has been put on the back burner for now, as I'm laid up in the hospital waiting to get my bowel out due to my ongoing crohn's disease but will definitely have something by the summer. The plan was to get something now clean it up over winter do the mod's that I could afford and hit the mountain roads for a blast but for now at least I will get to save some more money being stuck here.
Old 19-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #77
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would not consider this a hot hatch but it does go well, and it's like driving a Go Cart, especially around the windy 12km road we have leading up to our property....

https://youtu.be/HC8_JOH-GiY

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 19-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #78
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just because you don't like Mitsubishi,s doesn't mean they are any better or worse than any other make.You canned the Mitsi then got a Ranger,now you spend your time canning it.Maybe the way you try to drive has a lot of bearing on the reliabilty rather than the vehicle
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #79
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
L300 van is basically the same thing they were selling in the 80s. It's not comparable to the rest of the Mitsubishi range
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #80
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if the man does not like Mitsubishi and has formed his own opinion based on personal experience he is allowed to express that opinion, I don't like Mitsubishi myself and think they are poor quality vehicles, in a similar experienceI would never buy anything Samsung, also from personal experience, happy to buy Sony even if it costs more, as I have never taken a Sony appliance to the tip, I have taken plenty of Samsung ones, some did not even work out of the box, utter rubbish and poor quality control IMO.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 20-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are right,everyone is entitled to an opinion.You though seem a bit confused in that you say you would never buy anything Samsung,then in the next line tell us you have taken plenty of Samsung products to the tip ????
Old 20-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #82
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I forgot all about the starlet gt I always liked them
Old 20-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #83
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You are right,everyone is entitled to an opinion.You though seem a bit confused in that you say you would never buy anything Samsung,then in the next line tell us you have taken plenty of Samsung products to the tip ????
Wow, people are so simple these days, does everything need to be spoon fed??

Re read my post it's very clear and easy to understand, take your time and use a dictionary if you have to.

Alternatively get someone to explain it to you.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 20-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #84
Kicking back

Quote:
I forgot all about the starlet gt I always liked them
5g for a GT starlet would be a hard ask to find. They are nice and small and turbo. Parts may be no as common over here. You mentioned previously something with an sr20. The spares/second hand/ aftermarket market would make it easier for parts as they were actually sold here.
As for other statements by others, I've only had 1 Mitsubishi and it was an l300. Like a blast from 1986 in an 09 model. I'm certain the build quality of anything these days that wasn't 18 grand new on the road would beat the l300. And work copped a fine from the epa for the ranger I'm in, but that got fixed a few weeks back and all the non obvious prior little faults went also so its better then when I got it with 46 thousand on it. I do still like my fairmont and the wifes g6, but they aren't constantly loaded or do nearly the kays per year of my work ute and the prior van so obviously they don't suffer the wear and tear.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #85
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Wow, people are so simple these days, does everything need to be spoon fed??

Re read my post it's very clear and easy to understand, take your time and use a dictionary if you have to.

Alternatively get someone to explain it to you.
Well do you or don't you buy Samsung.For what its worth Sony phones have their problems just like every other manufacturer
Old 21-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #86
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone have any experience with n15 triple sss pulsar there's a few that are going for the 3k mark and from what I know aren't a bad little car I rang around the local nissan wreckers and there seems to be a few with air intakes, exhaust, aftermarket suspension bit's for nearly nothing so modding doesn't seem to be a problem a mate of a mate had a turbo one way back when they were new.
I've also found some wrx hatches for a reasonable price or over 5k but people willing to negotiate. I had a 99 wrx when it was 5 years old and a gt forester brilliant cars only the gearbox is like glass in them.
Old 21-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #87
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with n15 triple sss pulsar there's a few that are going for the 3k mark and from what I know aren't a bad little car I rang around the local nissan wreckers and there seems to be a few with air intakes, exhaust, aftermarket suspension bit's for nearly nothing so modding doesn't seem to be a problem a mate of a mate had a turbo one way back when they were new.
I've also found some wrx hatches for a reasonable price or over 5k but people willing to negotiate. I had a 99 wrx when it was 5 years old and a gt forester brilliant cars only the gearbox is like glass in them.
A lot of the Turbo hatches & sedans of that era had less than adequate gearbox's.
that's one of the reasons I bought a Celica GT4 they had a good box. but they are a heavier car so less fun than a lighter car with less KW.

Go drive a 1600cc twin cam Civic of that era yes down on KW but much more fun to drive they sound good too.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #88
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can stetch the $$ an Audi A3 with a 1.8T is great.

I had one offered to me for 10K and thought meh as i needed a cheap car at the time., expecting to on sell it in 3 or for months...I kept it for 3 years and loved the car, was quick frugal, handle well and looked great.

Would buy again in a heartbeat. Considering S3 but they are a little more an $5K...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #89
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4796285/?Cr=0

Pretty hard to beat for the money IMHO. Plenty of go with the 5cyl turbo volvo motor, 6 speed manual...even has the optioned heated leather seats.

Kms are up there...but hey - not a bad run around with plenty of aftermarket support / mods available. I know the LS models had a couple of issues, but nothing that can't be fixed with some TLC!
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #90
Kicking back

There's a couple of Nissan nx's going cheap on carsales but it's a shame the one with 143k on it is an auto. It's on there for under 4k, but in wa though. Sr20, 2 doors. Can't be too bad for a track hack. There is only 1 manual that's done monster kays buts cheap.