Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a feeling that the Euro IV deadline is a "get through" period and the 6-speed auto
is just to keep Commodore in sight. Pretty sure VF is September/October and if that's so
I'd expect Ford to bundle Falcon and Territory sheet metal changes together to maximise efficiency
reducing factory down time and pointing to a body change early in 2011 to Coincide with Ecoboost I-4.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #62
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Spot on. My own case, 7/'08 G6ET, 21,000km, fully optioned, on 3 year finance terms where currently my payout is now lower then a good trade-in price so simply put I'm ready to buy in the next few months. But the next new G6ET is no different from what I've read so far, except for it's higher list price...so why should I roll-over into another? Now a G8E announcement would have me EFT a deposit to a dealer vehicle unseen.

What do you think you will do now?

At face value it looks a little lop sided. Thinking back to the Euro 3 update, which was denoted by the model change to BF, it would have been regarded as a pretty strong update for Ford and not much more than a cosmetic update for FPV.

Euro 4 comes along and Ford don’t appear to even market it with a "2" while the lion share of the FPV range is set to celebrate an entirely new engine, which in the past has nearly been enough to switch model signatures alone.

So come next year with the designated model change we will see FPV do essentially nothing and Ford bring out the model changes. Me, personally, I would have liked Ford to build on the momentum that FG has gained in market share retention and that includes recognition that in our upper models there needs to be an injection of technology and feature sets.

Perhaps the Falcon is a victim of its uncertain future and this prevents progress in ways that would see investment returned in what would be regarded as the traditional cycle.

Like I said I would have thought and preferred that the 50th year be treated differently especially if they have expenditure and direction set for 2011. Bringing some of that stuff forward to cover the significance of this year would have been desirable for me.

Like you, I know 4 current FG owners thinking this update would be a reason to trade up. Their reaction hasn’t been great. If we believe that there is truly a lack of conquest sales in this blue v red stuff, on face value its hard to completely accept.

One's perspective on this subject will be largely dependent on where you are in your own personal cycle. People that have just stepped into FG will be thinking next year is fine by me, where others that stepped into the product initially will be ready to make a move and like me probably scratching their head thinking what to do.

There have been some interesting perspectives on this subject from premium manufacturers throughout the GFC.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 08-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #63
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know if it is just me, but does it really matter if it is called FG of FG series II?? Do poeple really think having the name series II is going to get all these sales that other wise what be lost without the name? How dumb do you take the Australian buying public for?

How much changes did we really get in AU, BA & BF from series I to II?? I'd say about the same we are getting this time with the FG, just without the name of series II!! And I'm yet to see anywhere saying it won't be called series II..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #64
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
What do you think you will do now?

At face value it looks a little lop sided. Thinking back to the Euro 3 update, which was denoted by the model change to BF, it would have been regarded as a pretty strong update for Ford and not much more than a cosmetic update for FPV.

Euro 4 comes along and Ford don’t appear to even market it with a "2" while the lion share of the FPV range is set to celebrate an entirely new engine, which in the past has nearly been enough to switch model signatures alone.

So come next year with the designated model change we will see FPV do essentially nothing and Ford bring out the model changes. Me, personally, I would have liked Ford to build on the momentum that FG has gained in market share retention and that includes recognition that in our upper models there needs to be an injection of technology and feature sets.

Perhaps the Falcon is a victim of its uncertain future and this prevents progress in ways that would see investment returned in what would be regarded as the traditional cycle.

Like I said I would have thought and preferred that the 50th year be treated differently especially if they have expenditure and direction set for 2011. Bringing some of that stuff forward to cover the significance of this year would have been desirable for me.

Like you, I know 4 current FG owners thinking this update would be a reason to trade up. Their reaction hasn’t been great. If we believe that there is truly a lack of conquest sales in this blue v red stuff, on face value its hard to completely accept.

One's perspective on this subject will be largely dependent on where you are in your own personal cycle. People that have just stepped into FG will be thinking next year is fine by me, where others that stepped into the product initially will be ready to make a move and like me probably scratching their head thinking what to do.

There have been some interesting perspectives on this subject from premium manufacturers throughout the GFC.
Thanks for your insight. As to what I do, same head scratching. My repayments won't really change if I roll over so it's really a product led incentive to do so considering our G6ET is a low kay vehicle and will remain so. If I wait to the end of the finance terms I have more equity come trade in as the final payment is $16K in July '11. And I would be staggered if a mint, low kay G6ET is worth less then that by next year, lol.

I could only consider a Calais V V8 but having owned Ford's best it isn't on the same podium level while no Euro can offer the size and performance without costing a great deal more.

Mind you when I bought my '08 G6ET I was really going to buy a Terry and then "found out" there would be no major upgrade until 2010, meaning after 3 years ownership I would have had a 7 year old vehicle in a design sense...and now that has been extended....

..gunna have a red raw head from all that head scratching.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #65
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Don't know if it is just me, but does it really matter if it is called FG of FG series II?? Do poeple really think having the name series II is going to get all these sales that other wise what be lost without the name? How dumb do you take the Australian buying public for?

How much changes did we really get in AU, BA & BF from series I to II?? I'd say about the same we are getting this time with the FG, just without the name of series II!! And I'm yet to see anywhere saying it won't be called series II..

It’s just you.

Time and time again it’s been shown and proven that if you don’t give consumers a distinction, that something has changed, either visually via cosmetics or claims via a badge- that something is new or improved, the task of getting that message across is substantially harder.

Times that by 10 if the subject has anything to do with Ford because there just doesn't seem to be the same appreciation as there is for other products that are either the same or worse.

Besides, why would they change the name when there is nothing really changing? No one is upset that it is or isn't a series 2.

Ford don’t want to be using terminally like that for no good reason. Ford have good reason to continue on with what they have announced. Euro 4 is a necessary distraction in the model cycle rather than an opportunity to address short comings and make visual cues designed to get people’s attention.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #66
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
It’s just you.

Time and time again it’s been shown and proven that if you don’t give consumers a distinction, that something has changed, either visually via cosmetics or claims via a badge- that something is new or improved, the task of getting that message across is substantially harder.

Times that by 10 if the subject has anything to do with Ford because there just doesn't seem to be the same appreciation as there is for other products that are either the same or worse.

Besides, why would they change the name when there is nothing really changing? No one is upset that it is or isn't a series 2.

Ford don’t want to be using terminally like that for no good reason. Ford have good reason to continue on with what they have announced. Euro 4 is a necessary distraction in the model cycle rather than an opportunity to address short comings and make visual cues designed to get people’s attention.

I should also point out that as nothing has really changed there is no issue with name asfaic
Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The way I see it is that Ford could have created gods gift to the automobile and still everyone hates it and thinks its crap because "Its a Ford". Its all about perception, Holden's marketing division could sell ice to Eskimos. The uninformed public, "mr average joe" hates Ford. I'd go as far as saying most hate Australian cars all together, go into the automotive section on Whirlpool, the Australian Broadband Forums, they all prefer Japanese/Euro cars to Australian.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #68
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What an awsome move from Ford, the ZF 6speed is the best box in any car available here apart from maybe some Beemers and Mercs, and what an ever better idea making it in collum form for the ute!, i really cant understand why Holden sells more commodores when the Falcon is so much better!?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
What an awsome move from Ford, the ZF 6speed is the best box in any car available here apart from maybe some Beemers and Mercs, and what an ever better idea making it in collum form for the ute!, i really cant understand why Holden sells more commodores when the Falcon is so much better!?
Fleet sales and a shortfall of production. I don't think Ford are even really going after fleet sales, as they can't build enough as it is for the public sales which are way more profitable. They have probably priced themselves out of the fleet market.

Holden on the other hand are probably slashing fleet prices to get them out the door.

Production will increase, there are more production Saturdays coming up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
No rest, no fishing and no beer....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I agree completely with this, Ford thinking they can get by with a couple of 50th Anniversary Limited Editions is crazy.
Special Vehicle packs do quite well, SR (both Terri and Falcon), ES and the LE sold well. Even FPV had good runs with the GT40 and Cobras.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #72
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
go into the automotive section on Whirlpool, the Australian Broadband Forums, they all prefer Japanese/Euro cars to Australian.
Without being racist.... Asians love Toyotas....
Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard XR50 used on another forum, does anyone have a clue if this is a model?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #74
fordv8!

great product line up when the new V8s here it will be awesome!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #75
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Fleet sales and a shortfall of production. I don't think Ford are even really going after fleet sales, as they can't build enough as it is for the public sales which are way more profitable. They have probably priced themselves out of the fleet market.

Holden on the other hand are probably slashing fleet prices to get them out the door.

Yes, Burela said last week that production was increasing from 278 to 290 vehicles per day. Which is about ~4.5% increase. Add in those Saturdays and if you did 1 per month, then that is another ~5% increase based on a 20 working day month.

April, even with the 2 Saturdays that are planned, will only re-coup the lost public holidays. Still, Burela is talking up the factory increasing output by 15% this year. BTW it is currently on track.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #76
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well if VF is due around September and the Coyote V8 powered XR8 is due around then I wonder if that is meant to counter that. Because that V8 will surely create some hype for Ford.

As for the ZF being standard across the board I think that is terrific. I would think that a Euro4 badge at the least should be added.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #77
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Well if VF is due around September and the Coyote V8 powered XR8 is due around then I wonder if that is meant to counter that. Because that V8 will surely create some hype for Ford.

As for the ZF being standard across the board I think that is terrific. I would think that a Euro4 badge at the least should be added.
I beleive that Holden are about to drop the price, or atleast bring out discounts on the SS in the coming months. I guess to counter the coyote somewhat.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #78
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

iam sorry !! i am going to do a little negative to this it is fantastic that ford to doing the 6 speed auto across the range ! However by doing this it makes the XR6 N/A seem worth less really most people will option out the auto over the manual ! and the XT now will be comming out with the 6 speed as standard and you pay 40,290 right. Now with the xr6 it is 42 990 + 1000 for the 6 speed auto so that makes it 43,990 why on earth would you want to spend the extra 1000 for the 6 speed auto when the XT has it as standard ! really the only thing special in the xr6 is the body kit and a few other little things and suspension so really why would you bother buying the xr6 when the Xt is nearly $3500 cheaper and it proberly goes just as good !!

I would always would buy a XR6 over a XT !! but it just seems odd to me about the pricing ! they should brings back the GOOD OLD TICKFORD days when there was a actual difference between the base model and the XR6 now days they seemed to follow in holden foot steps when the base model looks the same as the sporty model !! Ford go back to the good old tickford days and do something different to the Xr6 models to take that base model edge back off them !!

Last edited by ieatsports_cars; 08-04-2010 at 11:18 PM.
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
iam sorry !! i am going to do a little negative to this it is fantastic that ford to doing the 6 speed auto across the range ! However by doing this it makes the XR6 N/A seem worth less really most people will option out the auto over the manual ! and the XT now will be comming out with the 6 speed as standard and you pay 40,290 right. Now with the xr6 it is 42 990 + 1000 for the 6 speed auto so that makes it 43,990 why on earth would you want to spend the extra 1000 for the 6 speed auto when the XT has it as standard ! really the only thing special in the xr6 is the body kit and a few other little things and suspension so really why would you bother buying the xr6 when the Xt is nearly $3500 cheaper and it proberly goes just as good !!

I would always would buy a XR6 over a XT !! but it just seems odd to me about the pricing ! they should brings back the GOOD OLD TICKFORD days when there was a actual difference between the base model and the XR6 now days they seemed to follow in holden foot steps when the base model looks the same as the sporty model !! Ford go back to the good old tickford days and do something different to the Xr6 models to take that base model edge back off them !!
Aren't they $37,990 drive away for the XR6s?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #80
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

not according to the pricing on the first page of this thread
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
iam sorry !! i am going to do a little negative to this it is fantastic that ford to doing the 6 speed auto across the range ! However by doing this it makes the XR6 N/A seem worth less really most people will option out the auto over the manual ! and the XT now will be comming out with the 6 speed as standard and you pay 40,290 right. Now with the xr6 it is 42 990 + 1000 for the 6 speed auto so that makes it 43,990 why on earth would you want to spend the extra 1000 for the 6 speed auto when the XT has it as standard !
Actually, that is a glitch that I noticed, the XT gets ZF and $600 increase but
XR6 gets $100 increase and + $1000 for ZF, why is that?

XR6 should be $600 increase with ZF standard and manual as $500 delete option.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #82
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

that is exactly right !
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #83
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have it confused, that is Manufacture List price not drive away price
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #84
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

ohh ok ! but still with drive away it still makes the XR6 worthless compared to the XT according to those prices
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #85
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe its a typo?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #86
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your right, it doesn't make sense to have it std on XT but $1k option on XR6 considering its the same box.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #87
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
BA - 2002 to 2004
BA2 - 2004 - 2005
BF - 2005 - 2006
BF2 - 2006 - 2008

don't see many three years there

HUH it appears to be exactly 3 years between models. ba 02-05 and bf 05- 08
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #88
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Your right, it doesn't make sense to have it std on XT but $1k option on XR6 considering its the same box.

im sure it comes down to the tweaks and calibrations to other parts relating to the box in each model id say. these upgrades still have to be paid for and each model will have diff amounts off work to be done hence diff prices
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #89
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
ohh ok ! but still with drive away it still makes the XR6 worthless compared to the XT according to those prices

XR will trounce the XT, XT doesn't sell even with a 6 speed auto, people will get the XR6.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #90
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
But is that a deal breaker for buyers?
Obviously not as most people are happy with the usual lights.

HID/Projector lights are great but don't forget that the FG suffered some heavy cost cuts to get
it over the line and we're only now getting features that should have been standard at release.
It doesn't need to be a deal breaker, it's about Ford finally moving into the 21st century and offering standard features that can match the competition. Holden, Toyota, Nissan and Honda all have this feature, and I can tell you that FG was supposed to have it as well since all the concept drawings had HID lights (which looked very nice indeed). I'm sick of accountants running every aspect the company. In this day and age, something as simple as HID lights should be standard atleast on higher models like G series. Holden is a local manufacturer with a relatively small output volume just like Ford, yet they've been able to do it since 2002 - Ford needs to get with the program, atleast offer these kinds of things as options.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post