Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #61
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

i think 160-180 would have been good. i have been up that way n the roads i went on werent all that wide and some not all that smooth and stable (in a bus at 100km).... dunno if we went on any of the highways mentioned... think about it, u comin over a rise at 180 n u got a road train doin 100 n u pull out to go round n theres somthin there (i know its unlikely) u aint got alota time to stop.... but like i said 160-180 would have been more appropriate...
wallet less 2 cents

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #62
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
She has gone on record and said that any future CLP government will scrap the 130 and re introduce the good old (//). She prefers a 110 zone being introduced into proven black spots. Usually a few k's around places like Aileron and ti tree and the likes. This is where the accidents are focussed, booze and indiginous mixed areas. I think that this is reasonable, I already slow down around these area's because of drunk drivers.

There is still a candle on the horizon.
That does seem fair, to introduce the limits to areas which require them, but for the long roads between one town and another a few 100km's up the road have the current system. As long as people are educated as to how to be sensible about how fast they are travelling, some of the people wouldnt think about other factors like tyre speed ratings etc. If this 130km limit comes in forever though, it will be interesting to look into the future to see crash data from people falling asleep at the wheel.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #63
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
That does seem fair, to introduce the limits to areas which require them, but for the long roads between one town and another a few 100km's up the road have the current system. As long as people are educated as to how to be sensible about how fast they are travelling, some of the people wouldnt think about other factors like tyre speed ratings etc. If this 130km limit comes in forever though, it will be interesting to look into the future to see crash data from people falling asleep at the wheel.
Very true, but the only stats that we will see from the government will be to make things look like it was speed and only speed again. But the way I see it, I can still sit at 140. Even if I get pinged, its only a $100 fine. But it is the demerit points that really suck. As far as tyre ratings go, I dont think that has been an issue before, but it is an interesting point. I work with a guy that has a factory standard BA XT. He always cruises at 160. I wonder what his tyres are rated for??
Old 03-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #64
rodderz

I spose the other thing is whether or not the police force will have the budget to enforce the limits across the state with so many long roads and highways

Unless the government learns a lot from Vic and lobs up speed camera's all over the place, then they'll certainly have a budget. Their only problem will be how long the cameras will still be upright
Old 03-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #65
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I spose the other thing is whether or not the police force will have the budget to enforce the limits across the state with so many long roads and highways

Unless the government learns a lot from Vic and lobs up speed camera's all over the place, then they'll certainly have a budget. Their only problem will be how long the cameras will still be upright

Clare has already eluded to the fact that red light and speed camera's will provide enough revenue to maintain two police groups based in Alice Springs and Katherine I cant wait to see what happens to the first stationary speed camera set up on a remote road. Half a stick of jelly should do it. And there lots of people out here with the products and the knowledge to make it happen. :gren:
Old 03-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #66
rodderz

I'll be waiting to see the footage on YouTube!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #67
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
I'll be waiting to see the footage on YouTube!
Actually, my boy is a talented Archer. He could put a hunting barb through the lense no problem at all, just wear gloves and wipe the arrow down with alchohol. Doesn't make any loud sounds either. Should be fun.....
Old 03-11-2006, 02:26 AM   #68
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only just tuned into this thread. Sorry to hear the news for you NT people. The stupid thing is 130kph on an open road is a meaningless figure. Are they trying to save lives in a crash? Anything over 80 or 90 (or far less in a head-on with another vehicle) and you're going to be dead anyway. So if its 100, 110, 130, 160 or 180 it isn't going to make any difference. It will effect stopping distances or maintaining control but the delimit allowed people to use their own judgement. Speed limit conditioning may well increase accidents as people doze off mesmerised or try to keep driving up to the limit when circumstances dictate they shouldn't.

Btw re the post above on how cars fare in the heat/speed. Wheels magazine did a good piece a while ago on how good Australian cars were compared to the imports. They referred to I think a Honda or Nissan where the A/C simply shuts down at 160kph or less leaving you to stew. Maybe these manufacturers got in the ear of the NT govt? Nah - that's a conspiracy theory!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #69
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see a lot of backlash from this sort of stuff.. hmm.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:16 AM   #70
fmc351
let it burn

Given the wide open spaces, dont be surprised to see the radar being a fair distance away and a crew waiting for radio confirmation, youll be pulled over before you even get to the radar. Reckon they cant given current practices and technology, keep watching.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #71
FLYXR6
Silvester

Default No More Unlimited Speed In N.t.

Just read in the paper that from jan 2007, there will be a posted speed limit of 110km in the N.T. highways. :

There goes our own little free drag strip and high speed testing facility in Australia. :

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #72
FLYXR6
Silvester

Unlimited speeds in NT axed
Friday Nov 3 06:40 AEDT
For drivers on Northern Territory roads, the days of hitting the accelerator and forgetting the speedometer are over.

Clare Martin's Labor government announced it would introduce a 110kph speed limit on all open roads, following the release of damning statistics by an expert taskforce.

The NT is the only place in Australia, and one of the few places left in the world, which has no speed limits and no demerit points, introduced in most Australian states in 1969.

But now the territory will toe the line.

Along with speed limits, the government will introduce a demerit system, heftier fines, a gradual roll-out of red light cameras and a greater police presence.

"We've taken the tough decisions needed to reduce the number of people killed," Ms Martin told reporters in Darwin, citing figures released to the public two weeks ago.

A road safety taskforce found three times as many people were killed on NT roads than elsewhere in Australia, per capita, with one person dying and nine seriously injured every week.

It also found 48 per cent of fatal crashes in NT were alcohol-related, and a study of eleven Darwin intersections during one month last year showed that 2,613 cars ran red lights in a single day.

While the government said it had adopted all 21 of the report's recommendations, there is one concession.

Four main highways - the Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria - will have limits of 130kph.

"I believe this is sensible and workable," Ms Martin said.

"We do have long roads to travel in the territory and we must do it safely ... (but) open ended speed limits for the territory will end."

The CLP tried to introduce a 130kph speed limit and demerit points a decade ago but were forced to drop the plan because of widespread public opposition.

It was now time to "create a safer territory", Ms Martin said, as she avoided questions about a potential political fall-out.

"I can't accept a situation where one territorian dies every week on our road," she said.

"What we want in the territory is a safe culture on the road and we don't have that ... and I won't make any apologies."

Punters aren't happy.

Talkback radio was flooded with calls from irate drivers, who see unlimited speed restrictions as the hallmark of a relaxed life in the Top End.

"Bureaucrats imported from draconian southern states are trying to destroy the Northern Territory's unique lifestyle and heritage," protest group No Speed Limits says on its website.

Opposition leader Jodeen Carney said she would scrap the changes if elected.

"Broad measures like introducing a speed limit and demerit points for traffic offences fails to deal with the root causes of road fatalities in the Territory," she said.

Speed limits will be introduced in January. The demerit system will be introduced mid-way through 2007.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #73
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Any signposted limit in the order 140, 150 - 180km/h is pointless, either will lead to "speed limit conditoning". Speed derestriction, if applied to NT's safest "lengths of road" is a safer option over higher 'absolutes' suggested.

Yes, the other roads off to the side should have a (rural) default, since those roads in the majority geographical area are not up to standard and one cannot typically do 100km/h in relative safety in any case.

(//) - DIVORCES TRAFFIC.

(130) - MARRIES IT. (Tailgating, leading to human behavioural errors).

Its funny, but to those outside NT, stuck with 100 and 110km/h maximums, 130km/h would seem like heaven, and in some respects would indeed be appropriate for certain freeway category roads between heavily trafficked urban areas, ONCE median barriers are in place.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #74
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

And now the deaths from Car-->Animal will increase.

Anyone who's driven on an NT road around dusk will understand. It's far safer to let the speed creep up to ensure you're off the road before the 'locals' take it over, we almost hit a camel the last time we were up!

And that's not even mentioning fatigue from the slower speed over the same distance.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #75
FLYXR6
Silvester

yeah i've been on that road a few times and it would be a killer to have to travel at 110km/h. The journey is long enough without making it longer!!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #76
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keepleft its good to see the sanctity of marriage upheld in at least one sector of society. Too little of it nowadays I say!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #77
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I guess all Northern Terriory police will be transferred to highway patrol and no real crime will be solved and everyones attention will be turned to hoon drivers. Crime rates will go down because the cops are to busy pulling people over for speeding to write reports like every other state.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #78
bencat

Blah, has nothing to do with safety, running red lights and driving pi$$ed are a completely unrelated issue to speed, what it does mean though is that sppeding tickets will now fund the extra police needed to pursue the drunk drivers, the red light cameras are self funding and very proffitable..

Getting the drunk drivers off the road is priority 1, let the red light cameras pay for that :P

I ride a motorcycle and have done since I was 13, and let me tell you the Aussie gvt dosen't give a damn about safety, those low slung wire barracades they put in everywhere instead of armco shred riders and passengers, suffice to say the europeans and americans have banned there use because of that..
bencat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #79
VZSS250

The Labor party has demonstrated that it will sink to any low to please the vocal minority. Meanwhile, the silent majority, who desperately need to travel through the territory in a reasonable time, must suffer for eternity because of Labor's stupidity.

We have seen what labor Governments can do in NSW and Victoria, where speed cameras and speeding fines issued have skyrocketed. For all those Labor party supporters out there I HOPE YOUR HAPPY.
VZSS250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #80
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencat
I ride a motorcycle and have done since I was 13, and let me tell you the Aussie gvt dosen't give a damn about safety, those low slung wire barracades they put in everywhere instead of armco shred riders and passengers, suffice to say the europeans and americans have banned there use because of that..
those bread slicers (or cheese cutters) are a disgrace. They've erected them on The M4 near Penrith to "reduce damage to cars". :
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #81
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYXR6
It also found 48 per cent of fatal crashes in NT were alcohol-related, and a study of eleven Darwin intersections during one month last year showed that 2,613 cars ran red lights in a single day.
And speed limits will fix this how?!?
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #82
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
And speed limits will fix this how?!?
oh i know that answer by putting more money into Gov't pocket and waste it on something useless which we dont need

Is that correct? :P
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #83
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Have spoken to a few mates up that way... Not real impressed with this move at all.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #84
FLYXR6
Silvester

sounds about right to me

Old 03-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #85
Dezza
Parts bin special

Ridiculous. They can't catch all the drink drivers so they put all their attention on speed. Speed doesn't kill, lack of attention kills

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #86
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i drive up to albury and back once per week - that gets pretty boring and tiring as well at 110km/h. Granted it's only 3 hours one way, but it'd still be heaven at 130km/h ;p
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #87
spoonage
Long Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencat
Blah, has nothing to do with safety, running red lights and driving pi$$ed are a completely unrelated issue to speed, what it does mean though is that sppeding tickets will now fund the extra police needed to pursue the drunk drivers, the red light cameras are self funding and very proffitable..
Simon Cowell pays more tax then the UK makes from infringements in a single year. It's not revenue raising.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #88
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Just curious, isnt 130km/h fast enough?? What speeds do average NT people do in their Futura's and Acclaims?? 150-160?? I have trouble believing that.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #89
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Between 140-160 most times.
Answer on the first page of the thread! :P

Cheers
Old 03-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #90
tabletennisman

damn. It takes long enough to travel around NT doing 150km/h! Oh well, hopefully the new speed limits will reduce fatalities on NT roads.
tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post