Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #61
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyxe
4.9 EF Futura, that would have to be one of the dumbest most simplisitic arrogant views i have ever heard of in my life, i completely agree with XWGS351, the way that young kids talk, albeit it young teens or even younger is appauling. i just wanna slap some people when they try to be something they are not. why not be Australian and embrace our culture, be Australian, buy a V8 and eat steak
Why thankyou. However i think the true nature of arrogance comes to head when people:

- impose their moral judgements upon others. i.e. "i am right" i.e. this thread
- assume that i care what they think about my own opinions

This is just another thread *whinge whinge whinge* about the influence of American culture upon our own. Because of the way this guy heard some teenagers talking in subway? And you've the nerve to suggest my views are simplistic?

Im so glad the irony isnt lost on everyone.

Quote:
"To want to live in a little bubble, and not have influence on and from any other place is the exact thing a lot of Aussies accuse Yanks of being guilty of."
Australia becoming a state of the US?? Ive been hearing that one since i was 5 years old.... must say i never grow tired of hearing it either.

The very fact that so many people speak up in a thread like this is testamont to the pride we have in our identity (however each individual interprets this identity). And here is my point. Dont tell me what being australian is all about. Dont you dare.

Dont sit here and tell me what's australian and what's not. Dont sit here and tell me how a "real" australian talks. Dont tell me how to spell something as petty as a*se. Dont tell me what configuration my engine needs to be and dont tell me what cuts of meat a "real" australian should eat.

The prodcuts that one should purchase in order to "be australian" must surely be the most amusing part of this thread. Where do the aussie manufacturers get their V8 engines? Where is the final destination for profits generated? Its about as australian as asian made blundstones.

Or, is it australian to cherry pick the aspects of american culture which we find favourable?

Perhaps the true nature of australian culture comes from imaginary fears of foreign influence and nuerotic pettiness about "how things should be" ??? Or maybe... just maybe... to be a real aussie, you simply need to be a hypocrite?
Old 19-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #62
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Why thankyou. However i think the true nature of arrogance comes to head when people:

- impose their moral judgements upon others. i.e. "i am right" i.e. this thread
- assume that i care what they think about my own opinions

This is just another thread *whinge whinge whinge* about the influence of American culture upon our own. Because of the way this guy heard some teenagers talking in subway? And you've the nerve to suggest my views are simplistic?

Im so glad the irony isnt lost on everyone.

Australia becoming a state of the US?? Ive been hearing that one since i was 5 years old.... must say i never grow tired of hearing it either.

The very fact that so many people speak up in a thread like this is testamont to the pride we have in our identity (however each individual interprets this identity). And here is my point. Dont tell me what being australian is all about. Dont you dare.

Dont sit here and tell me what's australian and what's not. Dont sit here and tell me how a "real" australian talks. Dont tell me how to spell something as petty as a*se. Dont tell me what configuration my engine needs to be and dont tell me what cuts of meat a "real" australian should eat.

The prodcuts that one should purchase in order to "be australian" must surely be the most amusing part of this thread. Where do the aussie manufacturers get their V8 engines? Where is the final destination for profits generated? Its about as australian as asian made blundstones.

Or, is it australian to cherry pick the aspects of american culture which we find favourable?

Perhaps the true nature of australian culture comes from imaginary fears of foreign influence and nuerotic pettiness about "how things should be" ??? Or maybe... just maybe... to be a real aussie, you simply need to be a hypocrite?
LOL 4.9.You and lumpy should compare notes..and get a more balanced reply between you....
Old 19-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #63
Lumpen Proletariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
AAAhh lumpy (just waiting for you to elucidate) Mate if you cant ascertain what an aussie is by living here and enjoying the best land on earth I feel for you..
Just for you mate...

It is my opinion, supported by historic fact that the ONLY true Australian Culture that has ever existed in the wide, brown land we have shot, poisoned or otherwise assimilated out of existence.

What exists now is a base of White Anglo Saxon Protestantism, with smatherings of people escaping persecution whether from War, such as the displaced people after WWII who became 'New Australians' or by politics, like the German settlers in the Barossa in the 1860's. Added to that there are deep rooted religious schisims, starting with the Irish Catholics in the 1830's and continuing and progressing all the way through to the Muslim's of today.

To top it all off, there were those who sought their fortune, typically through gold, much to the behest of the landed gentry, not only were these people WASPs, for the first time there were Chinese (some brought over as slaves) and Afghans.

However, rather than intergrate, all of these cultures kept some individuality and refused to totally surrender and form the curious amalgam I referred to previously. No doubt this situation was exacerbated by early colonial politics and manouverings, right back to the original dissection of all the best grazing land in New South Wales, when only 29 men, from 4 families owned all of it and would stop at nothing to keep it.

So I guess, if there is an Australian culture, which I sincerely doubt, it would have to be characterised by death, destruction, discrimination, greed and the lust for power at anyones expense, even your own citizens. Which unfortunately now sounds all to much like the culture of the United States, doesn't it?

Sincerely,
Brendan

PS - Lest you think I am a recent citizen here, my family goes back to those original German settlers of the Barossa, in the 1860's.

PPS - I wholeheartedly agree that Australia is becoming Americanised, that is not my argument. However it is this continual reference to become a patriot and hold hands over our hearts and pledge allegience to this false Culture that boils my blood, even this in itself is an Americanisation.

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #64
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
LOL 4.9.You and lumpy should compare notes..and get a more balanced reply between you....
Lol.

Prob fair to say my comments are extreme for the sake of making a point... a valid one IMO....
Old 19-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #65
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
Just for you mate...

It is my opinion, supported by historic fact that the ONLY true Australian Culture that has ever existed in the wide, brown land we have shot, poisoned or otherwise assimilated out of existence.

What exists now is a base of White Anglo Saxon Protestantism, with smatherings of people escaping persecution whether from War, such as the displaced people after WWII who became 'New Australians' or by politics, like the German settlers in the Barossa in the 1860's. Added to that there are deep rooted religious schisims, starting with the Irish Catholics in the 1830's and continuing and progressing all the way through to the Muslim's of today.

To top it all off, there were those who sought their fortune, typically through gold, much to the behest of the landed gentry, not only were these people WASPs, for the first time there were Chinese (some brought over as slaves) and Afghans.

However, rather than intergrate, all of these cultures kept some individuality and refused to totally surrender and form the curious amalgam I referred to previously. No doubt this situation was exacerbated by early colonial politics and manouverings, right back to the original dissection of all the best grazing land in New South Wales, when only 29 men, from 4 families owned all of it and would stop at nothing to keep it.

So I guess, if there is an Australian culture, which I sincerely doubt, it would have to be characterised by death, destruction, discrimination, greed and the lust for power at anyones expense, even your own citizens. Which unfortunately now sounds all to much like the culture of the United States, doesn't it?

Sincerely,
Brendan

PS - Lest you think I am a recent citizen here, my family goes back to those original German settlers of the Barossa, in the 1860's.

PPS - I wholeheartedly agree that Australia is becoming Americanised, that is not my argument. However it is this continual reference to become a patriot and hold hands over our hearts and pledge allegience to this false Culture that boils my blood, even this in itself is an Americanisation.
GOD.. What a horrible country..Would'nt live anywhere use thankyou...
Old 19-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #66
LUXO_8
windsor user

from my context he wasnt bagging the country.....
just saying that "australian" isnt all that australian anymore
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #67
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Lol.

Prob fair to say my comments are extreme for the sake of making a point... a valid one IMO....
Yes thats fine, and i'm not saying you dont have the freedom to say what you like..Just taking the p1ss..
Old 19-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #68
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Just taking the p1ss..
Good form. I know i dont take myself very seriously. It's a good way to be.

Is it australian??? lol
Old 19-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #69
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Just taking the p1ss..
Do you want fries with that?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #70
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Do you want fries with that?
LOL.Negative I don't eat fries..Chips for me..
Old 19-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #71
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
LOL.Negative I don't eat fries..Chips for me..
Cedar or Pine?

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 19-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #72
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Good form. I know i dont take myself very seriously. It's a good way to be.

Is it australian??? lol
I take the P1ss out of myself all the time..LOL. And yes I think it's australian..
Old 19-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #73
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Theres no need to be afraid folks, our western culture absorbs what it sees on TV, so he with the biggest Media Empire wins! And at the moment, the largest crud factory to pump the mind filth into us currently is FOX! And its run by an australian. So have no fear, we are Amerstralian and proud!!

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 19-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #74
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Cedar or Pine?
Eucalypt'us...
Old 19-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #75
gozza

Quote:
, we are Amerstralian and proud!!

one of my canadian mates calls himself a canastralian
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #76
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
one of my canadian mates calls himself a canastralian
thats great, my ex is canadian, guess what I call her??

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 19-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #77
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Went to the local video store the other day to register as a new user. The young woman behind the counter explained that the DVDs were arranged in alphabetical order from 'A at this end' to 'Zee at that end'. I asked her if she was American, knowing that she wasn't. Turns out she is studying Primary Education at Canberra Uni. God help her students when she teaches then not to say 'Zed'.
Old 19-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #78
gozza

Quote:
thats great, my ex is canadian, guess what I call her??

i could make a list :
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #79
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Man that bogan site is a treasure trove of laughs. :
If you want to have a laugh and read what the average bogan thinks of the VE, go here:
http://www.bogan.com.au/forum/index....64d&topic=41.0

Quote: