Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #61
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cut down tree's to save lives

armco barriers are as dangerous to motorcyclists as trees are to cars, I wonder if the MAC would want them all pulled out as well?
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #62
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
And what price do you put on a life...? Is someone on $200,000 a year more important than someone on $45,000 a year.
Irrelevant what they earn, who they are unless they are santa and what they do, unless its deliver presents to me at christmas.
The cost to society to save them from themselves is what's important. And we cant afford it, never could never will.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #63
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Some of out most beautiful road as so because of the trees. The tourist dollars aside I would hate to loose these. E.g.:

The Karri lined Northcliffe - Shannon and Northcliffe - Pemberton Roads (where I grew up)

Parts of the Great Ocean Road in Victoria:

Lyell Highway in Tassie; nothing like driving under those snow covered gums. The drive through the snow from Lake Pedder to Strahan was a highlight of my holiday in Tassie a few years ago.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #64
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

And just put "tree lined road" into a Google image search to see how the rest of the world celebrates and promotes its tree lined road. We have very few in comparison; perhaps that the problem; too many of us are used to driving in red bulldust in the outback.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #65
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And look at the low road death rate countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate and note that the low death rate Scandinavian countries have snow, ice and many more tree lined roads albeit their trees are softer than ours.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #66
Itsme
Experienced Member

Problem here in Australia there is lot of people who are in a hurry speeding to their deaths!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Some of out most beautiful road as so because of the trees. The tourist dollars aside I would hate to loose these. E.g.:

The Karri lined Northcliffe - Shannon and Northcliffe - Pemberton Roads (where I grew up)

Parts of the Great Ocean Road in Victoria:

Lyell Highway in Tassie; nothing like driving under those snow covered gums. The drive through the snow from Lake Pedder to Strahan was a highlight of my holiday in Tassie a few years ago.

serious, look at the examples you've given.

The first one has around the 5mtr clearance im talking about.

The second one has a similar clearing.

And the third one doesn't look like somewhere you'd be flying along doing 100k's.

Compare that to
This...
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...CDwQMyg0MDQ4ZA

This
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...d=0CC0QMygRMBE

This...
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...d=0CGcQMyhBMEE

And just so you know where im coming from, this...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...eGx_lt6V0lxLYv

And they are just from Google, If I could be bothered taking a drive up there some of the trees in 80-100 zones are lifting the edge of the bitumen with their trunks they are literally growing out of the road.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #68
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Trees and any other immovable object shouldn't be anywhere near the road.

The photos above are fine though, they're not close at all.
Just near my joint there's trees which are perhaps not even 300mm from the road (no shoulder), and there's plenty more examples.
That's just plain dumb to have a tree that close to the road as it leaves absolutely no room for error, and we all make errors from time to time.

I'd reckon at least 2-3m is pretty sensible, depending on the speed limit of course.

Some seem to think that accidents will still happen if the trees are removed. Yes of course they will, however these type of accidents will be reduced, and any accident reduction is a good thing...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #69
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you hit a tree, bad luck. Drive better.
Sick of this life padding so many whingers want.

Dont cut any down. Put speed limits up next to them. Drive sensibly, no probs.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #70
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont think it would be a bad thing to carefully pick some of the more dangerous trees that actually intrude onto the emergency lane/gravel area,

some of these secondary roads are way over due for widening anyway with the traffic load, so a bit of tree clearing would not be a bad thing in some areas.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 11:42 PM   #71
1TUFFUTE
Banned

This whole thing seems a tad silly as before too long well have ALL roads resembling racetracks with gravel traps and all trees and other things gone. It's true. They'll make this change and then it'll progress onto something else, slowly snowballing into oblivion.

It sucks about deaths but cutting millions of trees down seems the wrong path. Maybe more gaurd rails in the dangerous zones??
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #72
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
serious, look at the examples you've given.

The first one has around the 5mtr clearance im talking about.

The second one has a similar clearing.

And the third one doesn't look like somewhere you'd be flying along doing 100k's.

Compare that to
This...
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...CDwQMyg0MDQ4ZA

This
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...d=0CC0QMygRMBE

This...
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...d=0CGcQMyhBMEE

And just so you know where im coming from, this...
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...eGx_lt6V0lxLYv

And they are just from Google, If I could be bothered taking a drive up there some of the trees in 80-100 zones are lifting the edge of the bitumen with their trunks they are literally growing out of the road.

That first picture is the types of roads I was thinking of too. But where do you draw the line on removing them? I occasionally drive on roads that look like that for 200kms odd with the occasional gap of 100m to a few kms that has no trees next to the road.
In the 200kms I am thinking of there would have to be thousands of trees within 5 metres of the road. It would be a massively impractical job to clear this 200kms let alone roads all over the country.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #73
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

When I grew up in the 50's the Northcliffe - Pemberton Road which was then the main road out of town liked a lot like this with heavy log truck traffic that assumed right of way; it was actually safer to drive at night despite the big grey roos as you could see the lights of the oncoming cars shining on the trees ahead.:

in better parts like this:

We drove accordingly. Yes; people ran into trees but it was mainly city slicker not paying attention. The other risk was in storms and bushfires when Karri could fall across the road; again you drove accordingly or not at all if you could avoid it during fires and storms. I actually miss those old roads although I recognise a two black top is much safer.

Last edited by aussiblue; 05-03-2015 at 12:16 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #74
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^You certainly wouldnt fall asleep on those roads...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #75
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
A suggestion has been made by the MAC to cut down dangerous trees along roadsides in SA to reduce fatalities.
I remember posing this same question when those 6 youngsters in the XR8? ploughed into that tree in Victoria a number of years ago.

Thoughts.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1227245474651
Looking at what's been bought up in this thread so far.....I don't think whoever it was that proposed this in the first place thought before they spoke
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #76
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Problem here in Australia there is lot of people who are in a hurry speeding to their deaths!
Out of all the countries I have driven in, this one is by far the slowest.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2015, 11:29 PM   #77
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nanny state of affairs
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 AM   #78
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When I grew up in the 50's the Northcliffe - Pemberton Road which was then the main road out of town liked a lot like this with heavy log truck traffic that assumed right of way; it was actually safer to drive at night despite the big grey roos as you could see the lights of the oncoming cars shining on the trees ahead.:

We drove accordingly. Yes; people ran into trees but it was mainly city slicker not paying attention. The other risk was in storms and bushfires when Karri could fall across the road; again you drove accordingly or not at all if you could avoid it during fires and storms. I actually miss those old roads although I recognise a two black top is much safer.
these are not roads i would bother cutting trees down, if dudes are foolish enough to tool around or not be wide awake running these sort of roads , they get no sympathy from this bloke.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #79
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Today in the UK http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shes-tree.html and http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-31787600Tragic and http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...tragic-5295701 Tragic but you would have to think if the car didn't hit that tree there were other trees and hard objects to hit and it was seemingly speed related. The tree is also fairly well off the road

Last edited by aussiblue; 09-03-2015 at 01:13 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

That looks very similar to Cherokee where one of my mates lives:

Mind you the speed limit on those dirt roads is 100km/h, there is one corner going up there which catches first timers by surprise, its off camber and sharper than it looks and if you go into it too hot you end up sideways.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #81
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Today in the UK http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shes-tree.html and http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-31787600Tragic and http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...tragic-5295701 Tragic but you would have to think if the car didn't hit that tree there were other trees and hard objects to hit and it was seemingly speed related. The tree is also fairly well off the road
Or not, perhaps without those trees there, they would have slid into the shed in the back ground, or stopped before it.

We will never know for sure...

What we do know is that lives have been lost and the tree was involved.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #82
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or not, perhaps without those trees there, they would have slid into the shed in the back ground, or stopped before it.

We will never know for sure...

What we do know is that lives have been lost and the tree was involved.
A car was also involved, and a driver presumably. Perhaps we start cutting down cars and removing drivers to somewhere near 5 meters from the road. I guarantee no more trees will jump out at the cars then.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #83
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if people stayed in there lanes and chillax a bit there wouldn't be a problem
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #84
4stanger