Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #61
kezzer

Thanks for all the criticism and advice guys.

I am taking it on board, and yes I don't claim to be a genius, but I need to start somewhere and the net is a good tool to use.

I was a bit unrealistic with the 9 seconds it seems haha. That is fair enough, I'll aim for an 11 sec car that's street drivable.
I don't have a mortgage, family etc so i've got a lot of money to throw around, so don't talk about commonsense, try telling that to anyone who loves or does up cars or has any sort of hobby. People spend big bucks flying around the world, it makes them happy so why not, this makes me happy, all relative.

And I don't want a V8 or an already turbo'ed car.

I'll be making my decision in the next few weeks. Would love to wait for the new falcodore's, that 409nm from the barra sounds awesome. Not to mention the 225kw from the alloy.

Cheers for the help.
Old 18-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #62
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
Just to throw a spanner in the works. I have seen Aurions do high 14's off the showroom floor. Even wheels mag got a 14.8 out of one when they compared it to commie and falcon (falcon did a low 15).

A stock aurion is a competent performer. But a bit like a chrylser centura (OH GOD! A CORNER! BUT I WANTED TO ACCELERATE AND STEER! OH GOD, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!)
Yes they are fast cars, just a shame they are fwd as I would have been interested in driving one.
Old 18-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #63
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Thanks for all the criticism and advice guys.

I am taking it on board, and yes I don't claim to be a genius, but I need to start somewhere and the net is a good tool to use.

I was a bit unrealistic with the 9 seconds it seems haha. That is fair enough, I'll aim for an 11 sec car that's street drivable.
I don't have a mortgage, family etc so i've got a lot of money to throw around, so don't talk about commonsense, try telling that to anyone who loves or does up cars or has any sort of hobby. People spend big bucks flying around the world, it makes them happy so why not, this makes me happy, all relative.

And I don't want a V8 or an already turbo'ed car.

I'll be making my decision in the next few weeks. Would love to wait for the new falcodore's, that 409nm from the barra sounds awesome. Not to mention the 225kw from the alloy.

Cheers for the help.
On that note, if you have the cash why waste it on doing up a car? why not invest it, like in property etc to set yourself up for the future, whilst houses are still within someones grasp and we have first homebuyers grants. you will be kicking yourself you diddnt buy a house earlier when you will have to some how find $500,000+ for a first house and land is scarece 50kms within the city. And all you have to show for your money spent is an old falcon or commodore which is only worth a fraction of what you spent on it.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #64
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
On that note, if you have the cash why waste it on doing up a car? why not invest it, like in property etc to set yourself up for the future, whilst houses are still within someones grasp and we have first homebuyers grants. you will be kicking yourself you diddnt buy a house earlier when you will have to some how find $500,000+ for a first house and land is scarece 50kms within the city. And all you have to show for your money spent is an old falcon or commodore which is only worth a fraction of what you spent on it.
You sound like a parent!!! _
If he has the cash - it's his to spend. Sounds like you are starting to see some light kezza. 11s are very quick for a street car. More than enough in the wet especially.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 18-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #65
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

Ok, now thats a more realistic goal. 11's is a very do-able time with the setup your atempting to set up. I would still be leaning towards the Ford. Have you considered buying an older commy or falcon?? I've seen turbo VS Commodores run mid 11's with a single turbo setup. You would be looking at a lot cheaper initial purchase price and more than likely cheaper modification costs. Also the car would weigh 300KG lighter, and with a small engine weight is allways going to be your enemy.
Old 19-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #66
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
I see what you are saying, and it is true. I already partly own a house in the SE suburbs. So that's why i'm wasting my money on cars lol.

I might look into 2nd hand falcodore's. Don't like many of the old holdens and fords, anything from the VY-VE and BA-FG are really the only ones I like. Not including the old muscle cars!

Just out of interest what would be a realistic budget for a 9 second 6?
Old 19-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #67
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
I see what you are saying, and it is true. I already partly own a house in the SE suburbs. So that's why i'm wasting my money on cars lol.

I might look into 2nd hand falcodore's. Don't like many of the old holdens and fords, anything from the VY-VE and BA-FG are really the only ones I like. Not including the old muscle cars!

Where are you located? I am in QLD and looking to sell my BA xr6. Might be a good start for your project.

Nick
Old 19-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
kezzer

Victoria mate, so sorta along drive, lol, wouldn't get another BA unfortunately, I still like them though. Theres a few 2nd hand VE's, FG's and BF's on the market.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #69
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

at a guess 30k on motor ,20k transmission and other drivetrain components ,6k wheels and tyres and god knows how much for testing emission ,engineering and generally making it legal possibly another 20k .
so around 70k i would think but be prepared for alot to go wrong.
Also most strips once you are faster then 10 seconds ban you till you come back with roll cage and parachute.

If 9 seconds is your goal you are choosing very hard and expensive cars to achieve that time with.
Also probly want to get your self another car because that one is gonna be off the road for probly the best part of a year .
Good luck let us know when you break 13 seconds.

Last edited by snappy84; 19-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 19-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #70
boris

Unhappy

might be waiting a while for holdens di 225kw v6, cause haven't they just dropped the power on the new model to save fuel. 175kw is the new output, same as 2004.
Old 19-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #71
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also holden have not comfirmed DI yet . Or even when the new model is to be expected
Old 19-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #72
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Also holden have not comfirmed DI yet . Or even when the new model is to be expected

You would expect to see something in 2010. I'll bet it would be around the launch of the territory.....the hatchback with a new facelift?
Old 19-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #73
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For affordable 9 seconds cars , wow there a sentence you dont see often .
I would be thinking
A clubman with some forced induction
f6 -xr6 turbo
rx7
supra -2jz - only motor that would not need to be rebuilt i can think of
pulsar gti-r
There is a few more than dont need a different engine transplant
even those will cost you 30k +
Old 19-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #74
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You would expect to see something in 2010. I'll bet it would be around the launch of the territory.....the hatchback with a new facelift?
you would expect but with gm position at the moment you never know could be longer .
Old 19-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #75
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1sGPwVSrU
Old 19-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #76
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
might be waiting a while for holdens di 225kw v6, cause haven't they just dropped the power on the new model to save fuel. 175kw is the new output, same as 2004.
Where did you hear that? I know for a fact the sv6's still have the same 195kw engine.

And the VF's will have the DI alloytec, I know it hasn't been confirmed, but they would be mad not doing it, the 2010 camaros have them.

If they didn't I would stop being a fence sitter and turn to the blue side. If holden aren't prepared to give ford a good run for its money in the 6's they will lose alot of potential buyers.
Old 19-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Where did you hear that? I know for a fact the sv6's still have the same 195kw engine.

And the VF's will have the DI alloytec, I know it hasn't been confirmed, but they would be mad not doing it, the 2010 camaros have them.

If they didn't I would stop being a fence sitter and turn to the blue side. If holden aren't prepared to give ford a good run for its money in the 6's they will lose alot of potential buyers.

The lower model alloytec only has 175kw and 325nM. Reduced recently when they did their fuel economy improvements.....Like when the allowtec went Euro 3 with the VZ.

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Co...specifications
Old 19-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #78
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
at a guess 30k on motor ,20k transmission and other drivetrain components ,6k wheels and tyres and god knows how much for testing emission ,engineering and generally making it legal possibly another 20k .
so around 70k i would think but be prepared for alot to go wrong.
Also most strips once you are faster then 10 seconds ban you till you come back with roll cage and parachute.

If 9 seconds is your goal you are choosing very hard and expensive cars to achieve that time with.
Also probly want to get your self another car because that one is gonna be off the road for probly the best part of a year .
Good luck let us know when you break 13 seconds.
Fair enough mate, I see what your saying. I was a bit stupid in looking at 9 sec 6.

haha just a random thought, has anyone put a ford engine in a commodore before? Like the looks of the VE over the FG, but everyone on here seems to think the barra has the better motor. Could be interesting lol.

The alloytecs can be stroked for 4.0-4.2 litres from the horses mouth.

Would love to see one in the flesh.
Old 19-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #79
kezzer

Quote:
The lower model alloytec only has 175kw and 325nM. Reduced recently when they did their fuel economy improvements.....Like when the allowtec went Euro 3 with the VZ.

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/Co...specifications
ahh the gross omegas lol. Hate those cars, I guess if you're just buying a car for the safety and fuel efficiency why not.

Or go buy a camry lol
Old 19-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #80
kezzer

You would think holden would just give the commdores a OTR or similiar, instead of downsizing the engine make it breathe abit better.
Old 19-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #81
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

There is a thread with the DI in the Comaro with vids on the rival site.
Old 19-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #82
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
ahh the gross omegas lol. Hate those cars, I guess if you're just buying a car for the safety and fuel efficiency why not.

Or go buy a camry lol

You wouldn't buy a Commodore for fuel economy when its the worst of the big 3. (10.6 for the 4 speed omega, 9.9 for the Falcon I6 with 6 speed and Toyota Aurion...the Camry also runs a 9.9)
Old 19-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #83
kezzer

Quote:
You wouldn't buy a Commodore for fuel economy when its the worst of the big 3. (10.6 for the 4 speed omega, 9.9 for the Falcon I6 with 6 speed and Toyota Aurion...the Camry also runs a 9.9)
Yeh I know, pretty bad, on another site a guy got his VE 6 car down to 4.6l/100km at 100km an hour, with just an OTR CAI and mufflers.

I've looked in the engine bay of a VE before and the air intake is a piece of , does wonders if you swap that out.
Old 19-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #84
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fair enough mate, I see what your saying. I was a bit stupid in looking at 9 sec 6.

haha just a random thought, has anyone put a ford engine in a commodore before? Like the looks of the VE over the FG, but everyone on here seems to think the barra has the better motor. Could be interesting lol.

The alloytecs can be stroked for 4.0-4.2 litres from the horses mouth.

Would love to see one in the flesh.

You could put a ford motor in a holden if thats what you wanted to do .
But it would be a lot of cost for a little gain.
Old 19-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #85
fordboy1981

it sounds like you've made up your mind and you just want us to agree with you...
Old 19-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #86
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A commo v6 that revs to 10K? i really find that hard to believe, most rotarys wont go much past 9,500!
Old 19-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #87
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Yeh I know, pretty bad, on another site a guy got his VE 6 car down to 4.6l/100km at 100km an hour, with just an OTR CAI and mufflers.

I've looked in the engine bay of a VE before and the air intake is a piece of , does wonders if you swap that out.

Remember thas value is at constant speed on the freeway. I've had my FG XR6 down to mid 5s on the Freeway @120km/hr to between newcatsle and sydney and it's stock as a rock. I don't go around boasting about it, when combined with city driving i'm getting 11's.
Old 19-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #88
Paddyboy

Why the hell would you put the fords engine in the commodore, thats just stupid! Do you honestly think before you talk? I think you're just talking through your *** with this whole topic! First of all you blurt out you want a street car that does 9's thats affordable and on a tight budget, then you ask questions that dont make sense and lead us to believe you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to cars, then you change you're mind to an 11 second streeter which is a bloody quick car in the hands of someone who clearly doesnt have experience in driving cars with that much power (which is a scary thought if you're going straight for 11's from driving a stock ba) now you say you want a ford engine in the a commodore body? how old are you? are you taking the mickey out of us?
Go suggest that to the blokes on street commodores forums and see what they say. haha
Old 19-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #89
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy
Why the hell would you put the fords engine in the commodore, thats just stupid! Do you honestly think before you talk? I think you're just talking through your *** with this whole topic! First of all you blurt out you want a street car that does 9's thats affordable and on a tight budget, then you ask questions that dont make sense and lead us to believe you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to cars, then you change you're mind to an 11 second streeter which is a bloody quick car in the hands of someone who clearly doesnt have experience in driving cars with that much power (which is a scary thought if you're going straight for 11's from driving a stock ba) now you say you want a ford engine in the a commodore body? how old are you? are you taking the mickey out of us?
Go suggest that to the blokes on street commodores forums and see what they say. haha
bahahaha

Are you a year 10 drop-out?? :

Where, and please tell me, did I say I was going to put a barra in a commodore??? Do YOU think before you type this up lol?? I said it would be interesting, didn't say I was going to do it. :

Also there are plenty of people driving high powered cars with NO idea how the internals work. :the_finge

Anyway, getting back to people that actually want to help.

5's at 120km/hour is bloody good stock. Whats the best you've got for 100km/hour? And yes I know it's at a constant speed.

Good to know there are a lot of people willing to give advice on these forums and not act like w*nk*s

Cheers.
Old 19-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #90
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
A commo v6 that revs to 10K? i really find that hard to believe, most rotarys wont go much past 9,500!
It's been done, pm me for further details. Remember this is with different cams and a manifold replacement. The alloytec has 6bolt mains with forged steel crank and forged steel rods, forged aluminum bolts. Revs to 9000rpm safely with just different cams.

Oh and guys, im guying for a test drive in a FG this friday! The guy is upgrading to a V8, Ill let you know how it goes!
Closed Thread