Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #61
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VIC hoon laws more severe

It can also establish a new niche market.
Cheap cars for sale so they can be used especially to be caught in for their third offence. Then the old bomb gets confiscated, and they keep their decent ride.
Not saying I condone it, but it is an avenue that they have open to them.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #62
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
My car was sitting in an industrial estate with no fuel one night where a few cars were actually doing burnouts.
Oh come on, how stupid do you think people are?

I was innocently sitting in my modified car late at night in an industrial estate having intelligent conversation with my friends about current affairs when these rag-a-muffins turned up and ruined everything!

Yeah right. Now I'm not saying you were necessarily doing the burnouts, but don't insult our intelligence.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #63
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'm not. At no point did I suggest it didn't look suspect, but the facts are the facts. My car was one of about two dozen at the location at the time.
Old 27-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've only had interactions with cops three times, first time was highway patrol blocking off the main street and brethoing everyone who went through, second time was when I stacked my Focus, third time was yesterday with a drugs/booze bus setup.

I've had no issues with police, but a workmate has, he's got a highly modified Commodore and they pull him over all the time, he gets defects for things like too low or too big wheels.

Then again, I've been driving a WS Fiesta and now an LV Focus, so well, who would bother with me? I don't think I'd be an easy target for a defect unless they wanted to try and get me on my spotlights, which they can't because I made sure they're legal. But I was crapping my pants if they heard the turbo whoosh my Focus makes, thinking I was driving an illegal car (its diesel though).
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #65
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a mate with a lifted landcruiser, big mud tyres, roof cage, it was massive. He never got hassled by the cops once.
He sold it and bought an xr8, got nice wheels on it, legal not massive, and got a custom exhaust. He then started getting hassled by the cops all the time because he had a slightly modified performance car.
They pick on people with slightly modified cars and go out of their way to try and fine them.
With this new law they will be doing what they can to confiscate as many cars as possible.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #66
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450
Parfrey please do not call car enthusiasts hoons They are two very different types of people. I'm with Sudszy it seems the only ones complaining are those with something to fear from the new laws i.e the ones likely to commit the offences . Well do the crime do the time and if it happens to be someone elses car then maybe people will start thinking before they hand over their keys .
I want my children and grandchildren to be able to drive on roads free of idiots, and if it takes laws like this, so be it. Some of you however do not.
GT450
GT450, we should all fear the new laws especially the guys who put there heart and soul in there cars.I must agree i don't get hassled much but there is that odd occasion when you want to go out for a drive on a Saturday night for a pizza.This is when even a law abiding citizen like myself gets hassled because i am driving a modified car on a Sat night.If you end up with a police officer who just can't comprehend your only going out for a feed you will get hassled and i am sure they will label you as a hoon and it will end up being a very costly pizza.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #67
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I had a mate with a lifted landcruiser, big mud tyres, roof cage, it was massive. He never got hassled by the cops once.
He sold it and bought an xr8, got nice wheels on it, legal not massive, and got a custom exhaust. He then started getting hassled by the cops all the time because he had a slightly modified performance car.
They pick on people with slightly modified cars and go out of their way to try and fine them.
With this new law they will be doing what they can to confiscate as many cars as possible.
Same as me mate, i have a Hilux with big wheels lift kit and the likes,don't get hassled.Take out one of the modded cars for a drive and it's like your a marked man.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I wonder what people's reactions will be when the law makers ban modified cars and they can impound your car if they think your car has been illegally modified just to make sure.
Old 27-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #69
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I wonder what people's reactions will be when the law makers ban modified cars and they can impound your car if they think your car has been illegally modified just to make sure.
that is a ridiculous post - slightly overboard

if people (including myself) do not want attention when driving, we should all drive camry's
it is okay to perve on the girl who gets our attention or try and chat her up, even when she doesn't want the attention. but if a copper gives us attention, by doing his job, that is just wrong isn't it
there are such hypocrytes on this site

if it is so big a hassle, instead of complaining on a forum do something about it - oh . . . i forgot that is just too hard. bending over is much easier - of course we don't call it bending over because we are complaining on a forum. that will get the message accross
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
that is a ridiculous post - slightly overboard
You seriously think that its not possible?

We have a country that is pushing for a Carbon tax, I remember a while back when they were trying to push for an engineering cert for simple mods.

Whats to say that you will need an emission cert to do an exhaust mod?

IT wasn't long ago that a skid would get you a fine and 3 points. Now you get impounded for a month (not that I'm condoning skids on a public road).
Old 27-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #71
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I've got a XR8, Lowered with Tint and a custom exhaust, never once been hassled, driven through many booze stop's and never once been asked to pull aside, oh I also have a clean driving history so if I ever do get pulled over I suspect that would go in my favour once they do a license check.
Like I have said before, if you drive responsibly then you have nothing to worry about, it's only those that want to be a hoon that have something to worry about, cause they know it will eventually catch up with them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #72
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You seriously think that its not possible?
they need to be careful with how they go from now on. if they ban modified cars, there are many people out of a job. they will also most likely get a class action against them from everyone who used to have an expensive car, but now has a statue in their garage. for sure some more modern cars can be brought back to standard, but once a car gets over a certain age, it becomes much harder and almost impossible to bring back to standard. i would imagine the cost of bringing the cars back to standard would also be part of the class action

it is like speed cameras. they can only go so far with them, because obviously they do not want us to slow down. if we did - no more revenue. they have a very fine line and although they may be dumb enough to overstep it slightly, i am unsure that they will go too far, because they are not smart enough to run the state/country without these taxes
Old 27-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #73
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
they need to be careful with how they go from now on. if they ban modified cars, there are many people out of a job
yes those people would be out of a job, but what would people do with the money they would have spent on car mods? flush it down the toilet?, it would get spent somewhere else, creating jobs somewhere else.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #74
ray38l

The sad part is that people have become so used to over controlling governments that seem to be able to do whatever they want that they actually believe that this is a good idea that will work.
The idea is flawed which is obvious because if it worked they wouldn't have had to make the penalties harsher.
But with enough people like sudszy around its sure to win votes, which after all is what its all about.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #75
gtxb67

you would think that if someone was on your ignore list, then they would have the common decency to not quote your posts too, wouldn't you. but then why is the gentleman in question on my ignore list - that is right, no common decency at all, just on a one man crusade to patrol this forum so we can all be safe from ourselves

it is flattering though that a person would think that high of me, they would log out, copy my post, log back in, quote someone else's post, paste mine over the top of theirs and then replace their user name with mine. it is only the absolute dribble that followed this procedure, that i find distasteful
Old 28-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #76
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the new laws are good in the aspect of increasing punishments for those whom cannot follow the road rules of speeding, burnouts and other life threatening activities on our roads.

The only issue I have with current VIC laws, are the passenger restrictions, it's so frustrating for P platers like me who just love to drive and help people out with giving lifts etc.
I have a slightly modified car, but I haven't received any attention for it as I drive responsibly. Although I wouldn't bring it up with an officer, as I have an incredible amount of respect for them and their jobs, I think they should be more concerned for the dumped VS commodore wagons on bald stockies at the back, rather than my clean EB Falcon.

My mate owned an EL Sedan, was bought for $4000 with 140,000 on the clock, incredibly clean and treated like a god from the previous owner.
He thrashed the crap out of it, had the engine rebuilt 20000km later, chucked an exhaust/extractors on it, always sped at around 180 on the freeways and 100 wherever else. The only reason he got caught was a speed camera caught him doing 130 in an 80 zone. He got a letter with the fine, and a court summons, lost his license for a year and that was it.

He kept driving, but not careful either, he still drove like before.
Eventually one night he was caught driving on his suspended license, with alcohol in his system (Mind you he lost his license 3 months into his Red P's so he drove around without displaying them) had his car left there and was sent home with another court summons eventually.
All they did was fine him $500 and an extra month on his suspension.

Now back on his license, (I reckon he was BS'ing) but he told me he put a BA Xr6 motor into it and got caught for an illegally modified car about 3 weeks later. So his parents took the car off him, are returning it to standard and selling it.

He now wants to buy some Audi turbo, bloody idiot x_x

Just goes to show that even the true hoons got slaps on the wrist previously.
I really hope they follow through with these laws.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #77
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxctive
The only issue I have with current VIC laws, are the passenger restrictions, it's so frustrating for P platers like me who just love to drive and help people out with giving lifts etc.
Why do you have an issue with it, do you understand why it is in place? do you want the law changed?, and how would you suggest changing it?
Old 28-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #78
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My issue with it is that I could be fined for helping friends out in a responsible, safe manner.
The law is in place to restrict in-experienced people from carrying a full load of people in their cars and not understanding how differently the car handles and risking all of their lives. After the obvious trend of 5+ people dieing in one car etc.
I would like the law changed to not even have that law at all.
Or rather possibly restrict it to the people who HAVE been convicted of driving with excessive speed or doing burnouts etc.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #79
ray38l

Quote:
My mate owned an EL Sedan, was bought for $4000 with 140,000 on the clock, incredibly clean and treated like a god from the previous owner.
He thrashed the crap out of it, had the engine rebuilt 20000km later, chucked an exhaust/extractors on it, always sped at around 180 on the freeways and 100 wherever else. The only reason he got caught was a speed camera caught him doing 130 in an 80 zone. He got a letter with the fine, and a court summons, lost his license for a year and that was it.

He kept driving, but not careful either, he still drove like before.
Eventually one night he was caught driving on his suspended license, with alcohol in his system (Mind you he lost his license 3 months into his Red P's so he drove around without displaying them) had his car left there and was sent home with another court summons eventually.
All they did was fine him $500 and an extra month on his suspension.

Now back on his license, (I reckon he was BS'ing) but he told me he put a BA Xr6 motor into it and got caught for an illegally modified car about 3 weeks later. So his parents took the car off him, are returning it to standard and selling it.

He now wants to buy some Audi turbo, bloody idiot x_x

Just goes to show that even the true hoons got slaps on the wrist previously.
I really hope they follow through with these laws.
you're example of your stupid mate shows exactly why the new punishment won't work. He obviously has no respect for the law and would either buy another car or find another car to drive. So what would it achieve? Nothing.
But it looks good in the paper for people who seem to hate anyone who still has a bit of life left in them.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #80
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
My issue with it is that I could be fined for helping friends out in a responsible, safe manner.
The law is in place to restrict in-experienced people from carrying a full load of people in their cars and not understanding how differently the car handles and risking all of their lives. After the obvious trend of 5+ people dieing in one car etc.
I would like the law changed to not even have that law at all.
Or rather possibly restrict it to the people who HAVE been convicted of driving with excessive speed or doing burnouts etc.
It appears you dont really understand why the law is there(sudszy and another sermon ), its not really about that the difference in handling when the car is has a couple of people in it, though yes it makes a difference

Its about how the driver responds/behaves when they have passengers, especially passengers of their own age.....peer pressure etc, and the one you mention of wiping out 5+ people with one mistake.

but given even the reasons you understand, why are you opposed to those reasons if it reduces loss of life?

Im sure every young person out there feels they are responsible and should be exempt from the laws, but can you see the big picture?

Last edited by sudszy; 28-05-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #81
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
It appears you dont really understand why the law is there(sudszy and another sermon ), its not really about that the difference in handling when the car is has a couple of people in it, though yes it makes a difference

Its about how the driver responds/behaves when they have passengers, especially passengers of their own age.....peer pressure etc, and the one you mention of wiping out 5+ people with one mistake.

but given even the reasons you understand, why are you opposed to those reasons if it reduces loss of life?

Im sure every young person out there feels they are responsible and should be exempt from the laws, but can you see the big picture?
That is pure garbage. If it is about the drivers actions then the hoon offence should refer to that alone, not the fact they have more people in the car.

At least reading your posts gives me an idea of how the boring, beige, yawnmasters who sit around trying to save everyone from themselves think.

Seriously Sudzy, would you want to live in your world?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #82
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:

Because it doesn't reduce loss of life...if someone wants to do it badly enough, they will, regardless of what bans are imposed.

In the last twenty four hours in Qld, 6 people have died (that I know of)...3 in one car (4 people travelling), 2 in another and 1 in another car that was carrying 4 people. None of them were P platers, in fact all of them over 25.

This lingering idealism to ban P platers from having more than one passenger to stop carnage is one that bewilders me on a regular basis (mostly because of the above statistics). Sure, peer pressure is a massive part, but at the end of the day, accidents still happen, even if you are being responsible behind the wheel, and regardless of your age. I've previously supported the ban, but now I'm not so sure...

I understand the concept, but I personally believe it's a flawed concept...bravado comes at all ages, so does peer pressure, although by almost 30 you would hope that skill and ambition aren't confused.

On the change to the severity of the 'hoon laws', I think it will provide some insight to those who decide to 'give it a bit', it may make them rethink if they have to walk for a month, or rely on other people to help them out to get to jobs, etc. But for a dedicated hoon - I don't think it will make much difference.

In the size of a city like Melbourne, it's easy to fade into the crowd of people, I'm sure there are more than a few who drive around with no licence already. So the police might get a few cars off the street, and if the deed is bad enough cancel someone's licence - but I wouldn't for a second think that the 'dedicated hoon' won't just drive anyway...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #83
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand with peer pressure, but what if your friend group aren't tossers that want to risk their lives?

When I overload, it's usually my partner, and some of her friends that need a lift.
Otherwise it's my work colleagues and friends out to grab lunch, and if I get fined for being a good person, I believe that to be utter rubbish. The only affect on my driving they have is making it an enjoyable experience.

It's the people like the bozo yesterday that was tailgating me in the rain and nearly rear-ended me not once but TWICE and my mate that lost his license and kept driving that should not be welcome on the roads.
Old 28-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #84
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back when me and my friends were on red P's we went through several police breath testing setups on the road whilst being overloaded. (different drivers each time). Anywho the police didn't care or even bring it up. I'm fairly confident many police think it's stupid also.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #85
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Because it doesn't reduce loss of life...if someone wants to do it badly enough, they will, regardless of what bans are imposed.

In the last twenty four hours in Qld, 6 people have died (that I know of)...3 in one car (4 people travelling), 2 in another and 1 in another car that was carrying 4 people. None of them were P platers, in fact all of them over 25.

somehow 3 people dying in a car not being driven by a p plater translates to the law pertaining to p platers and passengers is having no effect.

Perhaps since you are unequivocal in your belief that is has no effect that you can supply some numbers to back it up......no, all hot air for the sake of picking an argument.
Old 28-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #86
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
you're example of your stupid mate shows exactly why the new punishment won't work. He obviously has no respect for the law and would either buy another car or find another car to drive. So what would it achieve? Nothing.
But it looks good in the paper for people who seem to hate anyone who still has a bit of life left in them.
I don't understand this attitude. Because the punishment won't work to stop the activity, we shouldn't have any punishment? We'll, we have much more severe punishments for rape and murder - but those things still happen.... bugger, it must be the punsihments fault - lets scrap it all together!

The majority of time on these forums when someone posts a news article over in the general chat section where some low-life scumbag has gotten off a serious offence with only a few years in her majesty's custody we all cry foul that the law is an *** and that magistrates have no balls. Yet when it comes to road safety and road law - we want to scrap all punishment because "it wont work anyway". HUH? Someone explain that to me.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #87
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
I understand with peer pressure, but what if your friend group aren't tossers that want to risk their lives?

When I overload, it's usually my partner, and some of her friends that need a lift.
But do you see the bigger picture which extends a little further than you, with the law in place, less "innocent" passengers may stay out of casualty wards and morgues as a result.
Old 28-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #88
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Why do you have an issue with it, do you understand why it is in place? do you want the law changed?, and how would you suggest changing it?
Harold Scrubby is that you?????

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #89
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You are being punished for something you have not even done yet!!!!

If someone is going to give into peer pressure and do 180 in the rain, they are not going to be obeying the passenger law anyway. Those idiots will do it no matter what the law says.

NSW only has P1 passenger restrictions at night time.
In other states is the restrictions 24/7???

A few times on my Red p's I took of the p plates and drove my mates home at 2am.
It was either that, or ring up multiple people at 2am, get them out of bed and get them to drive fatigued to come and pick up my mates.
I drove sensibley, no speeding, no attracting attention.
Didn't put anyone life in danger. No harm done, its a stupid rule.

That law hasn't affected me for years, but its still a stupid law
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #90
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
I don't understand this attitude. Because the punishment won't work to stop the activity, we shouldn't have any punishment? We'll, we have much more severe punishments for rape and murder - but those things still happen.... bugger, it must be the punsihments fault - lets scrap it all together!

The majority of time on these forums when someone posts a news article over in the general chat section where some low-life scumbag has gotten off a serious offence with only a few years in her majesty's custody we all cry foul that the law is an *** and that magistrates have no balls. Yet when it comes to road safety and road law - we want to scrap all punishment because "it wont work anyway". HUH? Someone explain that to me.
i agree there should be a price to pay for doing the wrong thing. However the current way isn't working.
Treat it with an automatic court appearance with a minimum time of home detention or something along those lines. The current way isn't working so its time they sit down and work out another way of dealing with the problem.