Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #61
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

really..
when you push for power (both torque and Kw)
stuff breaks
doesnt matter when or how
if its pushed beyond what its built for then its going to be destroyed

turbo ..n/a..nitrous..supercharged... some guy with a lead foot and a deep pocket for tyres....
all are going to break SOMTHING

hell the BTR transmission dies just by looking at it in stock form
Old 21-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #62
stiddy
Banned

And I agree stuff breaks, hell ive broken a Z spec gearbox with a shade under 140rwkw and 410nm of torque (Autotech's Dyno).
I dont even want to think about the amount of $$$ gone into tyres over the last years ive had the car, at 350-400 each that I replace every 3 months.. hmm expensive..
Ive had the diff go, ive had a gearbox go, thats about it..

IM saying a force fed car will break things ALOT easier and sooner than what a N/A car will. Torque is what kills a driveline, not the HP or KW your making.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #63
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Actually, I have no argument with what you have said at all. If someone were to try and hit a stock driveline with a 200hp shot of Nitros or cram a massively worked 351 into car that had a stock I6 in it I'd be inclined to say that something is going to break in one hell of a hurry.
The phrase "You cannot make big power and quick ET's with cheap mods without putting the entire driveline at an unacceptable risk factor (it will break at some stage)." is probably an overall more accruate coverall, no argument.

The thing with turbo's is that there is a lot of people doing them and not too many that are upgrading the driveline at the same time. Not to many are doing it with V8's or Nitros at this stage. The only reason I have said turbo is because thats what this thread is about... its not an attack at turbo's at all.

You're kidding right? Look at what mods I've already done.... I could very easily have done a snort turbo kit by now. The reason I havent is I would have the same issue as everyone else.. heaps of potential power and no driveline to put it through.

Will I go turbo route? Who knows... nothing is carved in stone.

Yeah, its ok, I do understand. I guess its different for us up here in QLD, we dont have to worry to much about enginering, and insurance doesnt come into play as its easy to get with the car enginered. At leat you do have (most of) the driveline to put the power through now.

And Stiddy, I believe what you are saying is correct, the torque will kill the auto quick smart.
Old 21-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #64
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Term 'power'.. means different things to different people too
some think its Kw some people is torque.. so yeah
Old 21-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #65
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
duffman, you've missed my questions twice now ...

here it is again ...

just a quick question.. you say the engine died due to bad blowby .. is that the only reason?

im looking at buying a turbo AU atm, but this thread kind of scares me.. can't you stop the engine pressurizing by installing the catch can in a different way?

what could have been done to stop this happening?
Sorry I missed your question. At first we thought it was the turbo so we removed that and turned out it was due to be replaced anyway. Got it home and it still had the same oil problem. Ill give you a definate answer once the engine is been rebuilt as then ill know exactly what went wrong. The other problem I had was it was blowing manifold gaskets so the manifold will get getting all machined up as well.

To stop what happened to my engine (if it turns out to be blow by) is probably not much. I mean you buy a turbo for one reason to put the foot into it everynow and then and if you dont what was the point. I didn't thrash my car or do burnouts and it still happened. Nothing worse then having a good turbo on an engine you know if you put your foot down it will blow.

Id be weary if you are going to buy a AU with a turbo on it as they are most likley selling it as they are having issues. I could be wrong its just hard to tell they could do a patchy job on a fix only for it to be your problem 6 months later.

Day 3

Quotes have come back and the engine will be going down tommorrow and hope to have it back next week. Its getting a full proper rebuild with the lot so the engine alone should be able to give good power even without the turbo. It will have to be run in for a good 3000-5000km on about 6psi before it gets boosted back up. Ill posts some costs when I get them but the bottom part alone is roughyl $1700
Old 21-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #66
stiddy
Banned

Thats a cheap bottom end.. The conrods I want for my build are close to that mark!!
whats getting done, parts? brands?

Having your motor at that stage, I would recommend a stud girdle.
Old 21-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #67
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
hell ive broken a Z spec gearbox .$$$ gone into tyres over the last years ive had the car, at 350-400 each that I replace every 3 months
If ya mind me asking whats a Z SPEC gearbox and also what motor was in your car when you broke it was it a turbo one?.....and maybe you should start buying cheaper tyres LOL
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #68
justa6
justa6

keep at it duffman. yeah you will break stuff, and it probably will end up being over 10grand. but gee it's fun doing it
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #69
justa6
justa6

also duffman, i've got a jmm stage 2 turbo cam and springs. it's all i've had in it so i can't compare with anything else but it makes plent of power.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
If ya mind me asking whats a Z SPEC gearbox and also what motor was in your car when you broke it was it a turbo one?.....and maybe you should start buying cheaper tyres LOL
lol nah it was n/a with a little under 140rwkw/410nm.. (autotech dyno)
I dont want cheap tyres, its great steping off at 4000rpm and launching with no spin what so ever.. and other times.. well thats fun to lol..
Im looking forward to some boost through my thing.. and it will be done properly.. few other things before then though.. arms recovering from rubbing the ol' girl back.
Old 22-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #71
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
lol nah it was n/a with a little under 140rwkw/410nm.. (autotech dyno)
Thats alot 410nm that more than a BA (383nm i think).....as for g-box you were talking about Z-SPEC what is that....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #72
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
the Term 'power'.. means different things to different people too
some think its Kw some people is torque.. so yeah
Torque is a measure of force. Force provides acceleration - simple high school physics.

Power is a measure of work done and is calculated as torque times revs divided by a constant. Same meaning no matter how many people you have.

The difference can be difficult to conceptualise, especially as torque is a rotational force rather than linear. Think of the difference between hitting a nail once with a hammer (applying force) as against driving the nail all the way in (doing work - applying force 1 or more times until the desired result is achieved)

Gearing (torque multiplication) muddies the water too. AutoSpeed had an article some weeks ago on Power v's Torque which showed that:
  • torque provides accceleration
  • gearing can compensate for lack of torque in an engine that is powerful through being high-revving
  • gearing cannot compensate for lack of power in an engine that is torquey but low-revving
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #73
LiL_Macka
("(O.o)") Fear the EL!!!

It all depends how you do it casper, you do all the work yourself you should have a good system capable of 230rwkw for around 5000... Depends on what you know you and who you know...
Old 22-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #74
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
Thats alot 410nm that more than a BA (383nm i think).....as for g-box you were talking about Z-SPEC what is that....
Well its been on the dyno twice in 2 years, and reeled off the same numbers almost down to the decimal.
Z-spec is a beefed up T5..
Old 23-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #75
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Basically I do not believe a powerful, reliable and trouble free turbo setup on an AU I6 is going to be possible for under $15K minimum unless you have already modified the drivetrain beforehand. (By powerful I mean minimum 250-280rwkw and low 12 ET's for it to even be close to worth the effort)
Depends how far you want to go. I'd be happy to go no further than CAPA's Powerdyne kit. Assume a stock non-VCT I6 does around 100-110rwkw. The same car with this kit would be good for what? 160-170rwkw? Say a 60% improvement. At $6,000 that's $100 per 1%.

Starting with the same stock I6 you shoot for 250rwkw, spending $15,000 to do it properly as per Casper's list. You get 150% more power. Guess what, still $100 per 1%.

So on BFYB there's nothing in it. You can probably argue that the cost of the CAPA option should include strengthening the tranny. I'd argue that if you don't thrash it all the time the tranny would last pretty well. If you drive under 3000rpm 90% of the time then 90% of the time boost never goes over 4.8PSI. In my case the tranny has 315,000km up and will need replacement eventually. The extra cost of a strengthened box is not much over a reco'd standard spec.

So I reckon you get what you pay for, and on BFYB the CAPA kit doesn't look like such a rip-off after all.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #76
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm now facing the dilemna of supercharger vs turbocharger....the main thing holding me back with supercharger.. is no real room to gain more power... but with turbo.. you can just increase boost.. (for all the Mr. Negatives out there.. assuming the driveline has been strengthened)

but i guess i'm not looking to keep the car for a great length of time.. so the supercharger might be a better option considering prices etc...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #77
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
i'm now facing the dilemna of supercharger vs turbocharger....the main thing holding me back with supercharger.. is no real room to gain more power... but with turbo.. you can just increase boost.. (for all the Mr. Negatives out there.. assuming the driveline has been strengthened)

but i guess i'm not looking to keep the car for a great length of time.. so the supercharger might be a better option considering prices etc...
you can change the pulley size on the supercharger to increase boost..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #78
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Any updates Duffman?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #79
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Is where it is at now. At the moment the engine and manifold are off being machined/put back together hopefully should have some more interesting news soon
Old 01-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #80
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Not much of an update on the rebuild topic (ill post a big post about it later) but I am thinking of putting on some 19" bf tyhpoon wheels and adding a bf typhoon front bar to replace the te50 one. The main thing I am worried about with the bar is that it may not flow with the car and will just look odd. I hate the vs commos you see with vy body kits that just look stupid so hopefully it wont turn out like that. Ill get the front bar painted up so it looks like the one on the typhoon r-spec.

So if anyone is interested in some furys or a t3 front bar let me know.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #81
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got pics of the front bar?.. or are there some at the beginning of this thread?..heh

actually just checked... and nevermind.. i'm going to leave the stock bars on.
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #82
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let us know what you want for the front bar
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #83
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

duffman, just out of interest, have you found out what caused the engine to pressureize yet?

the AU im looking at has everything.. full wolf 3d, injectors, cooler, fuel pump, etc..

standard engines shouldn't just die like yours did unless there was something wrong with it, right?

please let me know ASAP what happened to yours so i can re-assess the purchase of the turbo..

cheers
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi

Last edited by shuresm58; 13-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #84
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Well I was a bit lazy and didnt keep the thread up to date but here are some pics:

The manifold also got machined as it had a tendency to blow gaskets

All I have to do now is put it all back in and its on the road! The engine has been fully rebuilt with compression lowered etc so it should go good
Old 21-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #85
AUI99
Banned

How many rwkw are u looking to get ounce u have finished???
AUI99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #86
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome......