Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #61
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Opinions on Chinese manufacturing.

Hahaha, my boys will be up for buying their own tools soon, that will add sales for those manufacturers who have built great tools for me!

And besides, the money I've saved not having to renew on those tools bought me welders, hand tools, snowboard lessons; went toward cars, a house etc etc etc

The economy still increased from my human action within it, the manufacturers of my tools still got their profit from my purchases.
Old 30-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #62
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Hahaha, my boys will be up for buying their own tools soon, that will add sales for those manufacturers who have built great tools for me!

And besides, the money I've saved not having to renew on those tools bought me welders, hand tools, snowboard lessons; went toward cars, a house etc etc etc

The economy still increased from my human action within it, the manufacturers of my tools still got their profit from my purchases.
Hand tools or electric tools?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mix of both I'd assume. Depending on their requirements.

It gets really interesting now as with 3D printing we can modify things such as electric tool housings and adapt for different purposes, but that's getting off topic.
Old 30-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #64
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A mix of both I'd assume. Depending on their requirements.

It gets really interesting now as with 3D printing we can modify things such as electric tool housings and adapt for different purposes, but that's getting off topic.
Off topic too but I just spent 3 mths researching which brand hand tools eg sockets, spanners/wrenches etc. to standardise on. Huge task which was a surprise. Things we do in retirement eh?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #65
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Problem is making stuff which lasts will shoot you as a manufacturer in the foot too.

You've got all these products that are very old, you haven't bought new ones.

Need people spending money to keep going.
Know what you're saying B D
My TV packed it in and as per usual, I did some pretty thorough research into new ones before I purchased a replacement. What surprised me was the incredulous looks I got from salespeople when I said my old one (Japanese manufactured) lasted 8.5 years. Oh no they said - around 4.5 is the norm.
I don't know if this is planned obsolescence or poor build quality or because my old one was plasma and my new one is LCD - LED with triple overhead sparkplugs. But it drove me to buy extended warranty. HHHMMMM
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #66
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Where ever I can I always try to buy New Zealand made products, everyone has to support local manufacturers of goods before they are all gone
if we all did this like we should our industries wouldn't fail and our country would be in good shape but everyone is looking for the cheap way out these days.

I own a small business and work in another one chinese made stuff be it good quality or crap is no good for our economy we are all competing with that and failing
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #67
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've always tried to buy Aus made products, but what do you do when the company moves their manufacturing offshore ?.

I'm not sure that it's the public not buying local that caused the move offshore. It's the cost of making it here (Wages, Taxes etc) and the bean counters wanting the cheapest option.
Old 31-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #68
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Name one good thing that has come out of china which is better than something out of japan or anywhere else in the world. lol
Their insatiable lust for our raw materials, and hopefully for our
quality services and products in the future!
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #69
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD Ute View Post
Their insatiable lust for our raw materials, and hopefully for our
quality services and products in the future!

Know what you are saying LTDUte. A happy Australian manufacturing story, we fitted our first ever wood heater this year and the South Australian built Nectre is absolutely fantastic, finish and function, clean burning is really wonderful. Again, it should be working well in-situ in 20 years time.

That insatiable demand is being sated currently, though.
Old 31-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #70
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Know what you are saying LTDUte. A happy Australian manufacturing story, we fitted our first ever wood heater this year and the South Australian built Nectre is absolutely fantastic, finish and function, clean burning is really wonderful. Again, it should be working well in-situ in 20 years time.

That insatiable demand is being sated currently, though.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, good product, people will always
pay for quality anywhere in the world.
We have excellent products, produce and services we export globally and
this is what we need to encourage as well as domestic consumption.
They must however compete in the marketplace.

I have no problem with local or overseas product as long as I get what I pay for
and that goes for anything I buy for the car, the house or myself.
I purchase according to quality and price irrespective of where it is made or sold.

A wise friend once told me regarding modern global manufacturing

"You see that German CNC machine over there? It doesn't care where
it lives or what language the operator speaks, just feed it good material
and it will give you the goods out the other end"

Last edited by LTD Ute; 31-08-2015 at 05:25 PM.
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #71
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I've always tried to buy Aus made products, but what do you do when the company moves their manufacturing offshore ?.

I'm not sure that it's the public not buying local that caused the move offshore. It's the cost of making it here (Wages, Taxes etc) and the bean counters wanting the cheapest option.
i think the same Gaso, but part of the problem here also i think is the cost to live, people in the lower paid jobs who are just trying to pay the bills suddenly find themselves faced with paying for a 450 dollar made here item or a 200 dollar chinese item , it is not hard to guess which way they will go.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #72
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just noticed you said you'd purchase a "Chinese made bike" instead of a "Japanese made one"...

Have a close look at the country of origin on your build plates...practically all "Japanese bikes" are made in China or Thailand or somewhere. Even a lot of unexpected bikes like some Harleys and other big makes are made in places like India.

Same as amusing things like people saying they'd "never buy Chinese-made car parts and accessories"...

To those people I'd say "In that case just don't look too close at the "Made In" part on the side of the box of the Aussie-flag-covered, dinki-di car, you-beaut car parts you just bought...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #73
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

At the end of the day if you want your country to make things you need to buy what we make, I sell around 8 or so Australian made Century batteries a week, I do have another two competitors in stock, but I push Century on my customers.

A 57EF to start an E series/AU/B series goes for $130.32, its not that expensive for an Australian made product and its good, we've never had a warranty return for them.

If Century moves its Australian manufacturing facility overseas then I'm going to start moving its competitors, at the moment they're only there in case we run out of Century.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #74
snowcone

We could afford to manufacture a great range of parts and equipment in this country if we didn't have the plethoria of OH&S do gooders slowing down the process in every manner possible.
By the time someone in Australia has conceived a safe work policy and risk analysis of a project, the Chinese have already finished the job.

You can't afford to produce anything if you have to pay for unproductive employees spreading paperwork form here to eternity if all you want to do is get on with the job and make widgets.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #75
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
We could afford to manufacture a great range of parts and equipment in this country if we didn't have the plethoria of OH&S do gooders slowing down the process in every manner possible.
By the time someone in Australia has conceived a safe work policy and risk analysis of a project, the Chinese have already finished the job.

You can't afford to produce anything if you have to pay for unproductive employees spreading paperwork form here to eternity if all you want to do is get on with the job and make widgets.
Your totally spot on with all that.

So many Aussie company's that has spelt the death bells with all that madness.

If I had to quote under such madness, the cost would all rise that far that no one would give one the work.

A mate who worked for rail road mob most of his life, that's closing down was a WPHS dude, was pointing out to me, you better do this and that I said it does not work like that in my game boy, you have been living a job off with the pixies too long, I my job it's you work 100% or you get the **** on the spot and our trade would never employ anyone who worked for the government or unions ever, as that lot are always lazy dopy good for nothing no hopers who are like a pox, you have to hold their hand every where because they can't think for themselves.
Not to be nasty but that's what governments and unions want and push for, because anyone who can think for themselves is classed as a threat too the grubs.

The illegal immigrants have played hell with my industry, it's not really their fault but it's the criminal low life dogs who put them on, that destroy the whole industry, as it destroys apprenticeships for the future and quality standards of workman ship and the good tradesman just have to walk away if they can, because they have to drop there standards to compete with all the cunning dogs we have about now.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post