Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #61
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Driver Blamed for Hitting Cows on Road at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I appreciate a black cow is harder to see but those cams only pick them up with about 15-20 meters. if I only had that sort of vision I wouldn't be very comfortable driving at night on country roads.

I also appreciate in a truck you may not be able to pull up in time, and swerving would be a poor option.
but In a car it shouldn't be a problem.
If the cow is 60 meters off you still have no chance of stopping.
Old 25-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #62
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that sounds typical, I wouldn't be comfortable driving on a country road unless I could see the length of a rugby pitch.
my point is those cheap cameras cant do that without night vision.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #63
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I appreciate a black cow is harder to see but those cams only pick them up with about 15-20 meters. if I only had that sort of vision I wouldn't be very comfortable driving at night on country roads.

I also appreciate in a truck you may not be able to pull up in time, and swerving would be a poor option.
Oh, I probably could have pulled up, had I seen them!

The car and caravan that was not far behind us was only doing about 80kmh (as they do ) and he managed to get one.

When you come across a non reflective black Cow an night you'll see what I mean.
Herefords are a little easier to see, the white bits stand out
Old 25-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #64
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think what most people are missing is that the driver was not driving to the prevailing conditions, these conditions include his capability, visibility, vehicle stopping ability, weather, road conditions, road surface, etc etc.

I live not far from where this took place and have travelled that road many times, I do a lot of night driving, and consequently I have decent Light Force driving lights, that allow me plenty of visibility, when I need to dip my driving lights, I also use quality Narva Bulbs in my head lights (Narva Intense) I generally slow right down when there is oncoming cars as my visibility is reduced.

Driving to conditions involves a lot of factors.

Who knows why the cows were there and who is at fault for them being there. blaming the poor farmer is jumping the gun IMO, as he would not want his cows hit by cars, who is to say the gate was left open, may be someone opened it, may be someone drove through the farmers fence allowing them to escape, who knows. Proving in a Court of law the farmer is at fault would not be an easy task.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #65
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Actually despite what the "professional" road safety experts say about "never swerve.. You must brake and brace for impact of wildlife ahead", I actually owe my life to swerving and accelerating instead. Picked up a new GT 335 from far North Queensland and had to return to work by Monday in Sydney. Was doing some ungodly pace down a remote dead straight, past midnight, and a big black wombat the size of one lane was on the road. Being it coloured black, did not see it until 100 metres , high beams on. Split second decision to gamble with fate rather than take the expert advice, swung the steering hard to the right, then left, around Mr Wombat, tyres screaming. Everything went slow motion and saw both fence lines while looking straight ahead from the driver's seat a few times as car went sideways in both directions. Fought and worked that steering as best I could, pinned the accelerator a few times to regain forward momentum and somehow managed to stay on the tarmac, exit speed was still above 100kph. Completely missed the wombat, and continued down that road in one piece and grateful to be alive. Thinking back, perhaps the Bosch DSC system had a lot to do with my survival, as I could feel the rears automatically braking individually as I worked that steering left and right about 12 times to regain control. Maybe it was due to my learned experience in younger years of pushing the limits of my old EL down dirt roads, practicing losing control and regaining it through steering and accelerator modulation. Another possibility is divine intervention, or if your time is not up, it's not up. That night still leaves a lot of confusion in my mind.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 25-11-2015 at 08:05 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #66
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Yes that sounds typical, I wouldn't be comfortable driving on a country road unless I could see the length of a rugby pitch.
my point is those cheap cameras cant do that without night vision.
You sound like you have never driven a country road at night.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #67
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Actually despite what the "professional" road safety experts say about "never swerve.. You must brake and brace for impact of wildlife ahead", I actually owe my life to swerving and accelerating instead. Picked up a new GT 335 from far North Queensland and had to return to work by Monday in Sydney. Was doing some ungodly pace down a remote dead straight, past midnight, and a big black wombat the size of one lane was on the road. Being it coloured black, did not see it until 100 metres , high beams on. Split second decision to gamble with fate rather than take the expert advice, swung the steering hard to the right, then left, around Mr Wombat, tyres screaming. Everything went slow motion and saw both fence lines while looking straight ahead from the driver's seat a few times as car went sideways in both directions. Fought and worked that steering as best I could, pinned the accelerator a few times to regain forward momentum and somehow managed to stay on the tarmac, exit speed was still above 100kph. Completely missed the wombat, and continued down that road in one piece and grateful to be alive. Thinking back, perhaps the Bosch DSC system had a lot to do with my survival, as I could feel the rears automatically braking individually as I worked that steering left and right about 12 times to regain control. Maybe it was due to my learned experience in younger years of pushing the limits of my old EL down dirt roads, practicing losing control and regaining it through steering and accelerator modulation. Another possibility is divine intervention, or if your time is not up, it's not up. That night still leaves a lot of confusion in my mind.
Being in a modern GT, probably helped, as these cars handle really well for a big family bus.

By the way I do lots and lots of night time remote country road driving and swerve almost daily to avoid wildlife, and that is driving a HiLux 4x4, you just need to know the capabilities of your vehicle.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #68
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

The above is pretty true in my car I have done some pretty aggressive swerves at times to miss rabbits and other small wildlife that would make a mess of my car. However in the ranger with a a lift kit over 2" and 33" tyres I wouldn't be so keen.
Old 25-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #69
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't swerve for small animals, sorry but cats, foxes, rabbits or similar do not get swerved for in my 4x4 (just not worth the risk to me), they don't cause any harm to my vehicle, kangaroos, emu's pigs is another story. Small Kangaroos generally don't get swerved for either, never had one cause damage yet.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #70
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Some interesting posts here for sure...way i see it the cocky has an obligation to keep his stock behind a fence,if as someone suggested the guys cows are clever and removed the latch then whilst i applaud there efforts in order to go for a wander joe public out driving cant be held responsible...be it out in the country or in town someones livestock/pets etc are there responsibility period.
Old 25-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #71
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

So who's responsible if you hit a roo ?
Who's. Responsible when Magpies attack ?
So if there's black ice on road ?
You looking for the local dealer ? Lol
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #72
99AUXR
Brad

Last edited by 99AUXR; 25-11-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Thread waste of time, too many experts.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #73
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't swerve full stop. Would rather pay for an excess than a funeral.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #74
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
So who's responsible if you hit a roo ?
Who's. Responsible when Magpies attack ?
So if there's black ice on road ?
You looking for the local dealer ? Lol
Never come across a farmer that has/owns roos or Magpies so just like black ice would put it down to **** happens eh...born n breed on a sheep station in Nth Canterbury NZ and can say without doubt if a motorist had the misfortune to hit stock off our property that were on a public road then the stupidity or not of the motorist wouldnt come into it fact is the livestock should be behind a fence.Long since moved away from the farm but the same applies in town ie if my Border Collie gets run over out in the street as ****ed of as i would be its a long shot to go blaming the guy driving the car.
Old 25-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #75
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I don't swerve full stop. Would rather pay for an excess than a funeral.
If you are headed for a 300kg wombat, now what?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 11:50 PM   #76
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Never come across a farmer that has/owns roos or Magpies so just like black ice would put it down to **** happens eh...born n breed on a sheep station in Nth Canterbury NZ and can say without doubt if a motorist had the misfortune to hit stock off our property that were on a public road then the stupidity or not of the motorist wouldnt come into it fact is the livestock should be behind a fence.Long since moved away from the farm but the same applies in town ie if my Border Collie gets run over out in the street as ****ed of as i would be its a long shot to go blaming the guy driving the car.
It's an even longer shot to blame the owner of the animal when they have taken all precautions, so if some kids let your border collie out without your knowledge you would be happy to take the blame??

I certainly would not be.

Especially if the motorist was travelling at excess speed to the prevailing conditions at the time and ignored warnings given by other drivers??

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #77
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
You sound like you have never driven a country road at night.
This.....
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #78
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

Cars go through fences and break them. I remember some years ago there was a fatal when someone opened a gate and a Horse got out and was hit by a Car. Killed the passenger. As a driver you have to look for hazards, and when stock is grazing on the verge or being moved there normally are signs out to warn drivers. There are always other factors involved compared to what is reported, and if you travel at night there is a greater chance to hit animals.
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #79
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
If you are headed for a 300kg wombat, now what?
More likely to hit a unicorn.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #80
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
More likely to hit a unicorn.
Take a midnight drive around Armidale NSW.

Wild dogs and collisions with cars are the biggest killer of Wombats.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 02:42 AM   #81
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering the largest wombat in captivity is 38kg, I'm more than a little skeptical of the existence of one that's 300kg.
Old 26-11-2015, 02:44 AM   #82
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Considering the largest wombat in captivity is 38kg, I'm more than a little skeptical of the existence of one that's 300kg.
10 wombats out for a midnight stroll.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #83
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

I thought it may have been one of these he meant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diprotodon
Old 26-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #84
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

This is always going to be a tough one, if you're from the country you'll blame the car. If you're from the city you'll blame farmer. Me I don't drive out in the country at night if I can help it. Leave it for the trucks and travel in daylight hours.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #85
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

You have to Sus out what is around. I am always cautious driving at night. One of the roads I often travel I go between 40 and 60. Yes that slow. My trip takes an hour longer, but I know I will make it home with an undamaged Car. No traffic so I dont hold anyone up. A hot summer day is about the only time there is little risk of hitting stock or wildlife.
Old 26-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #86
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our neighbour is a policeman. He told me one night they were doing 110 down a country road in a Landcruiser with lights and siren going to an emergency and a wombat appears in front of them. They could do anything but he said it was like hitting a large boulder but they stayed on the road!

Isn't there a thread here somewhere about buying second hand police vehicles?
Old 26-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #87
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
This is always going to be a tough one, if you're from the country you'll blame the car. If you're from the city you'll blame farmer. Me I don't drive out in the country at night if I can help it. Leave it for the trucks and travel in daylight hours.
This is 100% correct as most people living in the city have no idea on the hazards involved in country driving especially at night, it's a completely different ball game.

Most accidents out here are caused by city drivers or back packers, and it's usually stuff where country folk will say WTF, how did they manage to ignore all the warning signs etc and end up having this accident. Pretty much like the footage posted in the OP, where there was an obvious hazard ahead and plenty of warning was given and old moron just kept on motoring along without slowing up.

If that car was flashing it's lights like that at me at night I would be down to 40-50km/hr in a flash till I worked out what the problem was.

But I have done over 5500km since the first of this months (yes I run a vehicle dairy for tax purposes), all country roads in the same area where this happened and about 3000km would have been night time driving.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 26-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #88
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
(yes I run a vehicle dairy for tax purposes)
Do you get much milk from the vehicle
Old 26-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #89
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
This is 100% correct as most people living in the city have no idea on the hazards involved in country driving especially at night, it's a completely different ball game.

Most accidents out here are caused by city drivers or back packers, and it's usually stuff where country folk will say WTF, how did they manage to ignore all the warning signs etc and end up having this accident. Pretty much like the footage posted in the OP, where there was an obvious hazard ahead and plenty of warning was given and old moron just kept on motoring along without slowing up.

If that car was flashing it's lights like that at me at night I would be down to 40-50km/hr in a flash till I worked out what the problem was.

But I have done over 5500km since the first of this months (yes I run a vehicle dairy for tax purposes), all country roads in the same area where this happened and about 3000km would have been night time driving.
Yes that's because you are an experience country/rural driver, same can be said about country folk driving into the big smoke. I guess it comes down to what you're use to and the hazards that naturally come where you live. Me I live semi rural so I do a bit of both, but mostly city as that's where my job takes me.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #90
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Headlights on trucks are crap. Fully loaded, full tilt at night. You would have no chance to stop. Seen a cow about one hundred meters out. Was right at the start of a single lane bridge. With 2 meter batters on the side of the road. 50 tonne gross, had no chance. The cow stepped off just before impact. Phew. I have missed a few big reds though. My trick is, if you spot one roo on the side, slow down as they usually cross in packs. We have cameras. And I have actually scored awards for great night time animal avoidance!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post