Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #61
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beware Mario's Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
Ahhh the internet... serious business !

If I started a thread for every shop I had grief with you blokes would need to quit ya day jobs to find time to read them all...

It's happened, move on ..... so on and so forth

Peace out ..x...
Yes you are correct, and no one starts a thread for every single thing, but when it creates a danger to your property and the life of people around you I think it is a serious enough matter to bring to peoples attention.

I doubt someone would be too happy if they wore the way ward tyre/rim, or if a pedestrian/child/motorist/pet etc was killed or the tyre rim ended up in someones living room because of this, or if your 150K GT ended up in a ditch upside down because someone decided to save $5 on a wheel bearing, it's a rediculous situation that should be addressed.

There is a difference between getting a pack of stale chips or bad service at the chinese take away and someone putting peoples lifes at risk

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #62
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
How do you know the bearing failed because it was cheap Chinese ****? Could have been an adjustment issue, could have been an installation issue.

Not too keen to see a manufacturer being slagged off like this for a bearing failure 16 months after sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Going off recent articles in carsguide (I know, I know), things seems to have not changed one bit with Jeep. Apparently a lot of Jeep dealers are scathing of the lack of support they get from head office, not to mention the ridiculous waiting times to get parts bought in. Seems very little has changed.
Agree. As soon as I read 'checked and adjusted' that was a big red flag right there. Most people just do them up too tight and it kills 'em no matter who made it or where.
Old 27-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #63
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I'm still trying to get my head around the claim these bearing failed suddenly at highway speed with no prior indication. ie they were perfect until this trip, then one failed and all others were about to fail. How did they pass a inspection recently and now are unservicable?

What was the failure mode of the bearings. You stated the others were about to fail. What from? and do you have some pics of them?

And why didn't you detect this with your pre trip inspection? How did they just fail so dramatically with no warning ie loose/tight, heat, shimmy when driving?

I just don't get it.
Old 27-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #64
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Agree. As soon as I read 'checked and adjusted' that was a big red flag right there. Most people just do them up too tight and it kills 'em no matter who made it or where.
Been installing wheel bearings and servicing cars/trailers/bikes for over 30 years, never had a wheel bearing fail ever. So there may be an issue with your red flag.

Some people seem to miss the fact that my other trailer which has done possibly over 100.000km's and has been serviced, and maintained by myself for 18 years is fine, and it runs large 4x4 wheels and gets used off road and carried heavy loads, no wheels seem to be falling off or bearings wearing out. My cars also run around on bearings serviced and adjusted by me, with no issues or ecessive wear, however all these vehicles use quality brand name bearings.

Strange a trailer that has travelled around 1500km loaded lightly on highways and was purchased brand new less that two years ago has lost a wheel, and upon pulling the remaining three bearing sets (all non branded marked 'Made in China') are all showing excessive wear and and are pretty much about to completely collapse. This is where my finely tuned red flag comes on.

Your red flag might be due for serving and needs a bit of a service and a tune.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #65
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm still trying to get my head around the claim these bearing failed suddenly at highway speed with no prior indication. ie they were perfect until this trip, then one failed and all others were about to fail. How did they pass a inspection recently and now are unservicable?

What was the failure mode of the bearings. You stated the others were about to fail. What from? and do you have some pics of them?

And why didn't you detect this with your pre trip inspection? How did they just fail so dramatically with no warning ie loose/tight, heat, shimmy when driving?

I just don't get it.
I don't get it either, but I am guessing because they are crap quality bearings, 150km into a 650km trip. Don't have photos but can get some but photos do not show anything, you can feel the bearing cage showing excessive movement compared to a good bearing.

That was probably the point when they were going out the door, the trailer was recenlty regoed and inspected and passed, and yes they did check excessive movement when they did the rego inspection, trailer had done around 800km since rego, 500km of which was completely empty, not counting the 150km before the wheel fell off.

At the time the trailer was loaded with an XA rolling shell.

Not that hard to tell when they are no good once you pull them out.

But I am guessing it must be my fault, nothing to do with substandard materials used, every other of my vehicles seems to be fine but still my fault I know I should probably pull up and repack the bearings every 50km on the side of the road, I guess if they still failed I should do it every 25km, or may the it's becaused the quality Timkin grease I use is not compatible with Chinese bearings

Imagine buying a new car and after 3000km the wheel falls off and Ford claims it's your fault as you did not repack the bearings every three months, it's a rediciolous situation that should never happen, these parts are dangerous and should not be able to be sold here, it's 2015, nearly 2016, bearings last hundreds of thousands of KM's, and should not be failing after 3000km no matter what.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 27-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #66
Harrison

Maybe Mario usually caters to the 'trailer as garden ornament' customers ?

There's a lot of them around here...
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #67
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
But I am guessing it must be my fault, nothing to do with substandard materials used, every other of my vehicles seems to be fine but still my fault I know I should probably pull up and repack the bearings every 50km on the side of the road, I guess if they still failed I should do it every 25km, or may the it's becaused the quality Timkin grease I use is not compatible with Chinese bearings
The thing is before you go trying to destroy someone's reputation you need to be very sure of your facts and especially not to embellish on what has happened.

I just checked the NSW transport site and under towing guides they recommend a check of bearings, brakes before every trip.

I used to tow horse floats and checked wheels and brakes just about every trip. I'd also check hub temps by feel whenever I stopped somewhere.

I am not saying the bearings are good. I am not saying they are bad. I am saying that there can be other reasons for failure. I am saying as the owner you have your part to play in checking things prior to departure and also when travelling. I am sure they didn't just fail without some prior symptom.

You say you service your own bearings, why didn't you pick this up?
Old 27-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #68
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thing is before you go trying to destroy someone's reputation you need to be very sure of your facts and especially not to embellish on what has happened.

I just checked the NSW transport site and under towing guides they recommend a check of bearings, brakes before every trip.

I used to tow horse floats and checked wheels and brakes just about every trip. I'd also check hub temps by feel whenever I stopped somewhere.

I am not saying the bearings are good. I am not saying they are bad. I am saying that there can be other reasons for failure. I am saying as the owner you have your part to play in checking things prior to departure and also when travelling. I am sure they didn't just fail without some prior symptom.

You say you service your own bearings, why didn't you pick this up?
Well I.m with Gs Coupe on this one.Maybe you are pedantic enough to pull the hubs off to check brakes and bearings before every trip.I certainly don't have that much spare time and neither I should check every time.We had a car carrying trailer which spent a fair bit of time out on hire copping all the abuse that some clowns were capable of dishing out.Probably had 2 sets of bearings in 30 years.I'm not so sure you can buy other than Chinese bearings easily,The Yanks probably use import bearings with their branding on them
Old 27-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #69
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well I.m with Gs Coupe on this one.Maybe you are pedantic enough to pull the hubs off to check brakes and bearings before every trip.I certainly don't have that much spare time and neither I should check every time.We had a car carrying trailer which spent a fair bit of time out on hire copping all the abuse that some clowns were capable of dishing out.Probably had 2 sets of bearings in 30 years.I'm not so sure you can buy other than Chinese bearings easily,The Yanks probably use import bearings with their branding on them
I didn't say to pull them off and repack them before every trip. I would check them for looseness fore leaving, even if that was a quick shake. I checked the brakes every single trip. I check the hub temps often.

And sure as hell when I serviced the hubs I'd clean the bearings and inspect.

If this thread was a general warning about the dangers of generic bearings then I'd have no issue with it. But it's not. It's payback at a manufacturer for not honouring an warranty that had expired. And when you go down that road you better be squeeky clean and make sure you've done everything you're supposed to.

I am surprised that a blatant slagging off thread has been allowed to continue on here actually. I have a real issue with this.

In the end no proof can be supplied that the original manufacturer was at fault. The proof is that generic bearings were used. The owner is now responsible for the maintenance of the trailer and he should have noticed the generic bearings were an issue during the annual servicing.
Old 27-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #70
superyob
Banned

They would have to be extremely poor quality bearings for this to happen. Even with a moderate amount of under servicing, for all 4 bearings to be on their way out would lead me to think that there are a lot of trailers out there ready to turn their wheels into missiles. Did the axle hub retaining nut come off as well or did the bearing disintegrate to the point whereby the hub assembly bypassed the nut and flew off???
Old 27-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #71
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:

I just don't get it.
Preload incorrect for bearing type?
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 27-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #72
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Yes you are correct, and no one starts a thread for every single thing, but when it creates a danger to your property and the life of people around you I think it is a serious enough matter to bring to peoples attention.

Thanks

I doubt someone would be too happy if they wore the way ward tyre/rim, or if a pedestrian/child/motorist/pet etc was killed or the tyre rim ended up in someones living room because of this, or if your 150K GT ended up in a ditch upside down because someone decided to save $5 on a wheel bearing, it's a rediculous situation that should be addressed.

Starting a thread on AFF fixes this immediate problem HOW exactly ?

There is a difference between getting a pack of stale chips or bad service at the chinese take away and someone putting peoples lifes at risk
Hmmm well lets see i have had tailshaft fall out / wheels fall off / transmission grenade / oil lines blow off at considerable damage to my own vehicle and others property...

Did i log onto every message board and make defamoritory thread's about the issues when they happened ?

NO

A public forum isn't the place believe it or not , especially if it can bring liabilty charges against the forum in a defamation suit but then being as educated and well off as you appear and love to brag about you should already be well aware of this ??

For what it's worth i will never do business with those workshops again forum sponsors or not , but i also wont spruke their name out loud for fear of retribution.

There is always 3 x sides to a story

The truth the facts and the grey area in the middle.

Best of luck , i am surprised this thread publicly slandering Mario's Trailers has remained this visible for so long ...
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #73
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I don't get it either, but I am guessing because they are crap quality bearings,
No use guessing, you must be 100% factual that the bearings were inferior, there is many reasons why bearings can fail prematurely, I'm not saying they were not inferior but you must prove it beyond doubt & seek professional advise.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #74
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Must of been a Mario's trailer.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #75
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

3000ks wheel falls off because of bearing failure. They are the real facts here, just say he did a 3000k trip straight from when he bought it. I suppose it's still his fault? It sounds like he paid the right money and it wasn't a cheap trailer so you'd expect to get more then that for it. Not to mention he had to fix numerous other problems with said trailer. I don't care if he didn't check it at all with in that 3000k, it just shouldn't of happened period.

Last edited by XBROO; 27-11-2015 at 03:21 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #76
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
Must of been a Mario's trailer.
Well done. I suppose this has made the OPs wish come true.

You are now slagging off the manufacturer with a video totally unrelated.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #77
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:

Lighten up ya old prude, it was a joke..It's Friday....
Old 27-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #78
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ma...d-painted.html
Seems you're not the only one who's had trouble with their "customer relations team".

Looking at Mario's web-site, they give options for upgrading to better wheels and / or new tyres (vs second hand which is their standard). Maybe they should highlight the possibility of upgrading to serviceable bearings.
Could be a bad batch, and they've never had problems before, but it pays to look after the customer, esp. in teh age of instant communication.
Now everybody play nice and stay safe over the weekend...check those bearings, I know I will be, now!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
Old 27-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #79
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that you Mario??

It certainly is unrelated, and was illustrating the danger of wheel-loss from a vehicle.
Small boat trailer wheels are the biggest offenders, due to abuse (going into the drink whilst still hot) and naturally running hotter due to the small rolling diameter.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
Old 27-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #80
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
3000ks wheel falls off because of bearing failure. They are the real facts here, just say he did a 3000k trip straight from when he bought it. I suppose it's still his fault? It sound like he paid the right money and it wasn't a cheap trailer so you'd expect to get more then that for it. Not to mention he had to fix numerous other problems with said trailer. I don't care if he didn't check it at all with in that 3000k, it just should of happened period.
You don't know the wheel fell off because of a manufacturing issue. This is implied.

It was 16 months old and they failed. After it's yearly service and inspection. The bad bearings would have been obvious then as it had done next to no KM after that.

What did they guy who cleaned and serviced the bearings say? Did he say they were good. Or did he say they were cheap chinese rubbish and needed to be replaced. They could then have been taken back under warranty.

The person who did the service and inspection obviously didn't do his job.Let's get him next.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #81
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Still Chris 3000k is f'all shouldn't of needed checking. But I can relate to what you're saying when they were serviced. I'm not sure if Micheal ment he serviced them himself or did he take it back to Mario's.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #82
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Still Chris 3000k is f'all shouldn't of needed checking. But I can relate to what you're saying when they were serviced. I'm not sure if Micheal ment he serviced them himself or did he take it back to Mario's.
Yes, understood. It is very low KM for a failure.

I just take exception to trying to extract revenge in this way on a forum. I don't think it's the done thing.
Old 27-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #83
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:

I just take exception to trying to extract revenge in this way on a forum. I don't think it's the done thing.
Yeah I suppose it's not something I would do, but I guess he just wanted to vent his disappointment.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #84
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been installing wheel bearings and servicing cars/trailers/bikes for over 30 years, never had a wheel bearing fail ever. So there may be an issue with your red flag.

Some people seem to miss the fact that my other trailer which has done possibly over 100.000km's and has been serviced, and maintained by myself for 18 years is fine, and it runs large 4x4 wheels and gets used off road and carried heavy loads, no wheels seem to be falling off or bearings wearing out. My cars also run around on bearings serviced and adjusted by me, with no issues or ecessive wear, however all these vehicles use quality brand name bearings.

Strange a trailer that has travelled around 1500km loaded lightly on highways and was purchased brand new less that two years ago has lost a wheel, and upon pulling the remaining three bearing sets (all non branded marked 'Made in China') are all showing excessive wear and and are pretty much about to completely collapse. This is where my finely tuned red flag comes on.

Your red flag might be due for serving and needs a bit of a service and a tune.
Red flag stands. You might know what your doing and that makes quite a difference, no make that a big difference
Old 27-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #85
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ma...d-painted.html
Seems you're not the only one who's had trouble with their "customer relations team".

Looking at Mario's web-site, they give options for upgrading to better wheels and / or new tyres (vs second hand which is their standard). Maybe they should highlight the possibility of upgrading to serviceable bearings.
Could be a bad batch, and they've never had problems before, but it pays to look after the customer, esp. in teh age of instant communication.
Now everybody play nice and stay safe over the weekend...check those bearings, I know I will be, now!!
Repco sell Chinese bearings. They stand behind 'em and my store has had zero comebacks (mates the manager).
Old 27-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #86
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We are not trying to EXACT REVENGE, we are here to share information with fellow forum members, I wish someone had shared this information with me, to have avoided the situation I ended up in, like I have said over and over I would have been more than happy to pay for quality bearings when I bought my brand new car trailer which I already upgraded to brand new tyres and wheels as I did not like the idea of second hand ones that come as standard. So a few more $$ for bearings would not have been an issue.

I am guessing the nay sayers would rather not have a heads up about issues people have had with suppliers of parts, engines and other vehicle related parts. The way I see it the forum is here to share information and assist each other, others obviously feel different and would rather others get caught out the same as they did. Well I am not like that, if I find something good I will let people know, if I find something bad I will also let people know, if I get great service I am the first to praise any business, but I am just has happy to share my bad service experiences.

Those that are screaming defamation obviously have no idea what defamation actually is. Here to do people another favour I will post up a simple definition, I have assisted you further by underlining and bolding the important word:

DEFAMATION LEGAL DEFINITION - Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held.

To avoid this I have not posted anything that is not 100% factual, true and correct, I have the photos of the damage caused, I have the worn out bearings, the receipts and all communication with Mario's trailers.

I don't think I have to defend my actions after purchasing a brand spanking new car trailer, for the best part of $5K and a wheel falls off after around 3000km of light use, if anyone thinks it is not reasonable to expect the bearings to last a LOT longer than that then they have a problem IMO or you just have really low expectations.

If I had bought a second hand trailer I would change all bearings as soon as I brought it home, it's just what I do, just like I fully service and check any vehicle I buy before taking it out and putting it into daily use. This is a brand new trailer, and is not acceptable by any standards.

The End.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #87
XG_Falcon

A lot of "Holier Than Thou" sentiments are being thrown around but I'm going to go against the grain and side with the OP. The trailer had traveled less than 4000kms and the wheel fell off...
I have owned a cheap Chinese 6x4 trailer for the last five years - clocked up tens of thousands of kms dragging it all over the country and unless I'm mistaken, none of the wheels have fallen off.

I'm also something of a rebel... I don't check my bearings every single day either.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #88
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't know the wheel fell off because of a manufacturing issue. This is implied.

It was 16 months old and they failed. After it's yearly service and inspection. The bad bearings would have been obvious then as it had done next to no KM after that.

What did they guy who cleaned and serviced the bearings say? Did he say they were good. Or did he say they were cheap chinese rubbish and needed to be replaced. They could then have been taken back under warranty.

The person who did the service and inspection obviously didn't do his job.Let's get him next.
Unless the bearings were removed from the hub and axle, washed thoroughly in a solvent and inspected under magnification then you can't really tell what condition they are in and what their service life might be, without this it's just hope and pray.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #89
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be just as simple as a missing cotter pin after service. Don't laugh I've seen it several times.
Old 27-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #90
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Chinese, no name bearing are not to be trusted. Not because they are inferior but the lack of quality control. They are just as good as US or Japan bearings it's just that the odd crook one gets through manufacturing.

It a bit tough to blame the trailer builder given that no name bearings are used by many builders. If you knew about Chinese bearings you should have check when you took delivery.

And comparing single axle to a bogie trailer is apples and oranges. The forces on the bearings on a bogie trailer are substantially greater than a single axle.