Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #61
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The $500,000-valued Phase III GT-HO Falcon was passed in at auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
It seems to me that there are 2 types of people in this world, those that own a GTHO and those that dont. Those that own one will obviously hope that their car appreciates in value and those that dont all say that they are over priced. Simple as that.
You are missing the biggest portion of people, the 99.999999999999999999999999998% of the world population who could not give a hoot, or don't even know what a GTHO is and would not know what it was worth if they tripped over one in the car park. How many people in Europe/Asia/India/America/South America etc etc do you think would lust after a XY GT HO, I bet none would even know what it was or that it existed. I mean even 99% of the Australian Population would have no idea or cared in the slightest.

Personally I been a car enthusiast for many decades and really I don't care about GTHO's or even a GT. Not really interested in them, and I generally walk past the rows of XW/XY GT's at car shows as I find them quite boring, same with Cobra's, its a matter of seen one seen them all for me.

Stuff like the unrestored 6 cylinder XY Farm ute at last years QLD All Ford Day caught my attention and I snapped a heap of photos of it, or the mint stock standard XB Station wagon got my close inspection.

Not everyone wants a GTHO, not everyone wants a GT or even a Ford or any classic vehicle for that matter.

Just because I love my XB's does not mean the rest of the world wants one or even cares that they exist

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 07-05-2016 at 03:05 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #62
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are usually not interested in things they cant afford, it's human nature.

Race Homologation cars are expensive, people with deep pockets own them. Most people cant afford them, so most people arn't interested.

Lack of interest from the majority of the world does not seem to have an adverse impact on value.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #63
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
You are missing the biggest portion of people, the 99.999999999999999999999999998% of the world population who could not give a hoot, or don't even know what a GTHO is and would not know what it was worth if they tripped over one in the car park. How many people in Europe/Asia/India/America/South America etc etc do you think would lust after a XY GT HO, I bet none would even know what it was or that it existed. I mean even 99% of the Australian Population would have no idea or cared in the slightest.

Personally I been a car enthusiast for many decades and really I don't care about GTHO's or even a GT. Not really interested in them, and I generally walk past the rows of XW/XY GT's at car shows as I find them quite boring, same with Cobra's, its a matter of seen one seen them all for me.

Stuff like the unrestored 6 cylinder XY Farm ute at last years QLD All Ford Day caught my attention and I snapped a heap of photos of it, or the mint stock standard XB Station wagon got my close inspection.

Not everyone wants a GTHO, not everyone wants a GT or even a Ford or any classic vehicle for that matter.

Just because I love my XB's does not mean the rest of the world wants one or even cares that they exist
Mate, last year for father's day, my brother took my grandpa and myself to eastern creek for the muscle car masters. My brother and I had a look around at a few cars, group n was interesting, yet grandpa was somewhat disinterested in most of them (he is 89 mind you), but he liked a few minis (grandma had a mini in the day) but wasn't impressed by the amount of race mods done to them. Then there was a barn find, a 48 215 race car. Original sign writing, body, motor and all the rest, mind you in less then average shape, the only thing the current owner had done was make the thing run. It made my grandpa's day having a yarn talking to the bloke and sharing stories. To him a car like that is worth more then anything later because it was what he aspired to own in his mid 20's but was out of reach. It changed my perspective alot
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #64
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
People are usually not interested in things they cant afford, it's human nature.

Race Homologation cars are expensive, people with deep pockets own them. Most people cant afford them, so most people arn't interested.

Lack of interest from the majority of the world does not seem to have an adverse impact on value.
Not really relevant, I can't afford a lot of things that I am interested in, and there are plenty of things I can afford and I am totally not interested.

So a Datsun 120Y fanatic (yes they do exist) might snuggest that the reason you are not interested in his prised collection of rare NOS 120Y parts and vehicles is because in his mind he believes you can't afford them.

So the only reason you are not interested in Holden's is because you can't afford one??

As mentioned before most people would not even know what they were, and even if they cared enough to listen to your explanation they would just shake their head in wonderment and walk away.

So saying people are not interested because they can't afford them is just BS, if I could afford 10 Phase 3's I would not buy one, I would probably buy a mint XB GT and XB GT Coupe and an XD ESP and may be a EL GT all of which I am interested in even though I can't really afford them at this stage as funds are going to a more worthy cause at the moment.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

This user likes this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #65
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really relevant, I can't afford a lot of things that I am interested in, and there are plenty of things I can afford and I am totally not interested.

So a Datsun 120Y fanatic (yes they do exist) might snuggest that the reason you are not interested in his prised collection of rare NOS 120Y parts and vehicles is because in his mind he believes you can't afford them.

So the only reason you are not interested in Holden's is because you can't afford one??

As mentioned before most people would not even know what they were, and even if they cared enough to listen to your explanation they would just shake their head in wonderment and walk away.

So saying people are not interested because they can't afford them is just BS, if I could afford 10 Phase 3's I would not buy one, I would probably buy a mint XB GT and XB GT Coupe and an XD ESP and may be a EL GT all of which I am interested in even though I can't really afford them at this stage as funds are going to a more worthy cause at the moment.
What is you point? Read the post you quoted, note i said usually, that means its a generalisation it does not apply to everyone. Secondly where do i say that if you can afford you need to like it, that a pretty damn stupid comment to draw from my post.

I can tell when you are getting ready to argue as you start posting ***** that has no point and start to go in circles, what do Datsuns have to do with anything? First you tell everyone that you regret not buying a phase 3, then three post later you have no interest in phase 3s.

Still trying to work out why a 28 year old guy with 25 grand cash in the bank (a years average salary no less) is asking his dad to approve buying a GTHO?
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #66
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread but when a 120Y is being mentioned it's time to call a spade a spade..

No HO will ever be as desirable as a genuine 1975 Datsun 120Y GTR

For Sale: http://www.boostcruising.com/car-sal...-for-Sale.html

Last edited by Express; 14-02-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #67
lgpking22

The people who liked the gtho are dying off once there gone nobody will really want it anymore. Nobody my age or under would have even heard of it.
lgpking22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #68
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgpking22 View Post
The people who liked the gtho are dying off once there gone nobody will really want it anymore. Nobody my age or under would have even heard of it.
You're IQ matches your post count. Stop being a sheep.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #69
lgpking22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
You're IQ matches your post count. Stop being a sheep.
Not wanting a gtho makes me a sheep? i thought on a forum like this wanting one would make me the sheep go figure not even ford people want them there you go take that comeback up your iq insult
Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #70
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I disagree about kids not being interested in old cars, plenty of young blokes take a second look when l drive my Xb and my daughter who's 14 would shoot me if l sold it. She's already laying claim to it, as for datto 120y's had two of them tuff little buggers, mine was burnt orange/auto and had a huge manga sticker on the bonnet.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #71
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nobody my age or under would have even heard of it.
sheep.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #72
lgpking22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
sheep.

cool story bro
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #73
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I wasn't going to get involved in this thread but when a 120Y is being mentioned it's time to call a spade a spade..

No HO will ever be as desirable as a genuine 1975 Datsun 120Y GTR

For Sale: http://www.boostcruising.com/car-sal...-for-Sale.html

Nah, it's not original - too many mods
Old 07-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #74
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
...too many mods
Apart from the GTR badge everything else appears to be original.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #75
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , I began a thread about a week ago on what we consider the most desired classic Falcon prior to the XD...I haven't done an actual count but a pretty solid number of responses feature the GT/GTHO XY..That said a real desire exists for XP, XR GT , XW GT, XA and XB..not too far behind..I'd NEVER be able to have one in a pink fit but a GTHO is my most desired Falcon ..I'd be happy to have a ride in one..that'd do me..The monetary value of the car is one thing..but I honestly doubt that they'll be totally forgotten..I do agree with the comments that no-one else knows about it outside Australia but that could be said for ALL Falcons , certainly since 1970..and it'd be awesome if a proper HO turned up in America , on loan to show the two door Yank 'muscle cars' what a real muscle car is..They have no idea that a genuine GT can also have four doors. what the hell has doors got to do with it anyway ?..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #76
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all , I began a thread about a week ago on what we consider the most desired classic Falcon prior to the XD...I haven't done an actual count but a pretty solid number of responses feature the GT/GTHO XY..That said a real desire exists for XP, XR GT , XW GT, XA and XB..not too far behind..I'd NEVER be able to have one in a pink fit but a GTHO is my most desired Falcon ..I'd be happy to have a ride in one..that'd do me..The monetary value of the car is one thing..but I honestly doubt that they'll be totally forgotten..I do agree with the comments that no-one else knows about it outside Australia but that could be said for ALL Falcons , certainly since 1970..and it'd be awesome if a proper HO turned up in America , on loan to show the two door Yank 'muscle cars' what a real muscle car is..They have no idea that a genuine GT can also have four doors. what the hell has doors got to do with it anyway ?..Cheers Rod..
There were a few of these getting around the Cairns area when I worked for Ford in the early 70's.
The most memorable aspect about them as far as I'm concerned is the huge shove in the back you get as you go down a gear.
Apart from that I can't understand the attraction of them.

As for paying 1/2 million, I'd be sussing out a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang before a HO.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #77
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

a little off topic, but relevant to the fact that cars are only desirable if people want them.
I bought my xb coupe, as a project off a young bloke.
his uncle had started it years ago, but never go to it. he died. then the young bloke inherited it, and didn't like fords so wanted to 'get rid of it to buy a 'common door'.
got it for next to nothing...
only worth what someone is willing to pay.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #78
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I grew up with them, watched them winning Bathurst and just how bloody tough a 4v Clevo sounds. I just love em, can't afford one though.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #79
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
My two boy’s (which are 4yr’s and 6 months old) will be learning all about the mighty muscle car era and the King of them all being the GTHO, I will take them to show’s and let them see and appreciate what Australia had on offer back in the day, and you know what... they will respect and acknowledge Australia’s heritage when it comes to things like this.
It doesn’t mean they have to thrive over them but they will know all about them and I have no doubt in my mind that they will aspire to own one if not a GTHO but at least a GT.
I also have my original XW tucked away in the shed that every time I go up there to relax in my man cave, my 4 yr old always wants to follow and ask about the XW.

So thats a pretty naive and arrogant statement you have made in that nobody your age or under will have heard of them, as I have poster’s plastered all over the shed that my young one always ask’s about.

He also get’s disappointed when we drive our Mazda every day for daily duties when he want’s nothing more but to be driving around in the XR8 instead, so at 4 year’s old he seem’s to have more respect for what he know’s about vehicles then someone as yourself does.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #80
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
..and it'd be awesome if a proper HO turned up in America , on loan to show the two door Yank 'muscle cars' what a real muscle car is..They have no idea that a genuine GT can also have four doors. what the hell has doors got to do with it anyway ?..Cheers Rod..
If you're American, everything. Remember, they invented the muscle car so they get to set the terms of reference.

Real muscle only has 2 doors IMO.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #81
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
First you tell everyone that you regret not buying a phase 3, then three post later you have no interest in phase 3s.
Because peoples interests change in 25 years, plus it would have been a much better return than the Mazda 323 from a financial view point.

Quote:
Still trying to work out why a 28 year old guy with 25 grand cash in the bank (a years average salary no less) is asking his dad to approve buying a GTHO?
Was a lot more than 28 grand at the time. Due to respect for my elders and listening to what they had to say, as a result I bought a house instead, and two others since.

Building the fourth now.

How is being nearly 50 and still paying rent working for you

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 08-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #82
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
If you're American, everything. Remember, they invented the muscle car so they get to set the terms of reference.

Real muscle only has 2 doors IMO.
So you're saying a GTHO is a limp muscle?

It's Australian Muscle where our definition is different.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #83
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
A std ford escort sold for 1 million dollars, it was pope john pauls
I wonder if it was shipped to Ireland for use in club rallying

I don't think the interest in the Falcon GT's will ever stop, most enthusiasts/ owners will have kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews that will all know about dads, granddads or uncles 'special old car'
As for potential future owners, I'm not giving up hope, I'd like to think I could be one, when we retire in twenty five years or so, downsize the house and realistically my little fleet of cars, I'd definitely be looking for one. For me it'd be the ultimate tribute to my years of being a car guy.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #84
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
There were a few of these getting around the Cairns area when I worked for Ford in the early 70's.
The most memorable aspect about them as far as I'm concerned is the huge shove in the back you get as you go down a gear.
Apart from that I can't understand the attraction of them.

As for paying 1/2 million, I'd be sussing out a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang before a HO.
so why is it ok to shell out 500k for a boss but not for a phase 3?
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #85
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because peoples interests change in 25 years, plus it would have been a much better return than the Mazda 323 from a financial view point.

Was a lot more than 28 grand at the time. Due to respect for my elders and listening to what they had to say, as a result I bought a house instead, and two others since.

Building the fourth now.

How is being nearly 50 and still paying rent working for you
so IF you were in a position to spend 500k on a phase 3 because you missed out on one when you were younger (being cashed up etc) would you buy one now? OR would you be worried about what it might sell for? the point im trying to make is its great you have respect for your elders and its great you've got a reasonable real estate portfolio, people looking at phase 3s NOW are generally enthusiasts NOT CONCERNED WITH A RETURN ON THEIR INVESTMENT BECAUSE THEY LOVE THE CAR! many speculators got burnt during the boom, and good luck to the sellers.if you prefer real estate great at a guess the people buying muscle cars of any type for a six figure sum aren't concerned with a resale for profit.....they get their profits or returns from their investments. to them a phase3 Bathurst Monaro e49 etc isn't an investment. your real estate is and you need to be careful not to over capitalise as the ATO wont reimburse you for a capital loss they will lick their lips when you have a capital gain.....selling a car is TAX FREE
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #86
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
so why is it ok to shell out 500k for a boss but not for a phase 3?
One of my friends who is into collecting once told me, if you are going to shell out good coin on a collectable car make sure it has international appeal, therefore you'll have a much bigger chance of being able to recoup your outlay.

If you are just buying for your own fun it doesn't matter what you buy as it's for your own enjoyment.

If you want to enjoy driving it anywhere, anytime, a replica is the safest option.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2016, 04:56 PM   #87
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Building the fourth now.
HAHAHAHAHA Enlighten me....

Counting dog houses.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #88
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
So you're saying a GTHO is a limp muscle?

It's Australian Muscle where our definition is different.
Not at all. I'm saying its not a muscle car by global definitions - it's a sports sedan. Nothing limp about a P3.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #89
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a factory spec race car, it will always be the king of that era of cars. The rules of racing back in 71 have ensure that it will alway be worth big cash.

IMO don't let the price bubble fool you that was a blip in the value but that has since been corrected and it will just steadily move on now, like all thinks muscle cars you can see prices across the board steadily moving up and GTHOs will always be at the pointy end.

The car has since sold according to the Shannon's website, I'm betting for more than $500K.

Also remember colour has big influence on value, an Electric Blue P3 will be worth bucket load more than a white one.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #90
lgpking22

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
My two boy’s (which are 4yr’s and 6 months old) will be learning all about the mighty muscle car era and the King of them all being the GTHO, I will take them to show’s and let them see and appreciate what Australia had on offer back in the day, and you know what... they will respect and acknowledge Australia’s heritage when it comes to things like this.
It doesn’t mean they have to thrive over them but they will know all about them and I have no doubt in my mind that they will aspire to own one if not a GTHO but at least a GT.
I also have my original XW tucked away in the shed that every time I go up there to relax in my man cave, my 4 yr old always wants to follow and ask about the XW.

So thats a pretty naive and arrogant statement you have made in that nobody your age or under will have heard of them, as I have poster’s plastered all over the shed that my young one always ask’s about.

He also get’s disappointed when we drive our Mazda every day for daily duties when he want’s nothing more but to be driving around in the XR8 instead, so at 4 year’s old he seem’s to have more respect for what he know’s about vehicles then someone as yourself does.
nothing naive or arrogant about it its just my opinion most people 30 or under have no clue or care about these cars the bathurst heritage is long since dead even v8 super cars is dying in the ****. With the death of local made fords even those will start to fade as they will become just another car maker.