Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

People will push back. I expected that to start from about today, not sure it is happening in Sydney yet - didn’t see enough diversity in my travels to gauge.

I do love the fact of every day on the roads being Sunday.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Elderly, sick & vulnerable isolate, and the rest allowed to go back to work, enjoy their lives, pay their bills, kids go back to school
Isn't that the UK model which brought them to where they are now?
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

I was speaking to my 10 year old yesterday over some app thing and was asking about how he is currently schooled etc. He didnt have too many good answers, but he got his cousin in on the chat so i asked her. She is in year 8 and tells me they log in, the teacher sees that. So i asked isnt it stupid easy to open a new tab and cheat. She told me if they open a new tab the teacher gets notified and can get up them. Now my kids school sent out an email with guidelines as to when to log in and out. If not adhered to the parents get called. Yeah its the parents responsibility to enforce it now, and deadbeats probably wont. But it appears to atleast be a system. I asked my ex neice (i guess thats the term as im not with her aunty) is she finding it hard to stay motivated not having a teacher up front keeping her on track. I asked my son the same. They both like school so neither have an issue doing the right thing. And both are sort of lucky as my kids nana is stay at home, and his cousins mum is a teacher doing the other end of remote learning so in the same room cracking the whip. So that makes me feel a tad better that there wont be a generation of unintelligent people.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Car meet in Brisbane on the COVID-19 ****list

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...rally/12123486

Quote:
State disaster coordinator deputy commissioner Steve Gollschewski said officers saw appalling behaviour.

"We saw at least 150 vehicles on our estimation gathered in that area and everyone was breaching the social-distancing rules that we have in this state," Mr Gollschewski said.
Good work guys
Old 06-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is good to see that the very people we are all doing this for are practicing social distancing....

5 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Surely that picture is Spain or Italy, though? Way too monocultural looking for Australia.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Surely that picture is Spain or Italy, though? Way too monocultural looking for Australia.
nah their the ones that got off the ruby princess
pic was as they were waiting for the first bus to arrive

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
nah their the ones that got off the ruby princess
Careful, our resident Professor, Tassie f100, would probably get worked up enough to post about your bad grammar there.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Careful, our resident Professor, Tassie f100, would probably get worked up enough to post about your bad grammar there.
at my age i dont have a granma no more good or bad

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p54atc.html
Old 07-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Pappa Boris Johnson is in intensive care:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52192604

If he dies, China has a lot to answer for as they've effectively killed a leader of a foreign nation.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pappa Boris Johnson is in intensive care:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52192604

If he dies, China has a lot to answer for as they've effectively killed a leader of a foreign nation.
Even if he dies there might be some outrage, but not much more. This will blow over eventually, and most will head out and resume buying Chinese junk, why because they can't help themselves. China just does not care, read a report a couple of days ago about wet markets reopening, so if this virus came from there we are still open to something similar in the future, basically history repeating..
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...n-t-a-solution
Next time say you are looking for a cat back, look beyond the shiny S/S and cheap and spend a few more dollars on something made local, not only sounds better but your keeping jobs and money at home.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #13
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

7 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I note the ABC has further delved into the current Swedish MO.

The author notes a mortality rate exceeding that of Australia.

Link: https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-...roach/12118422
Old 07-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
peaterj
Donating Member

Adelaide man hoards 5400 toilet rolls.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...19667aa071ca82

Hope he gets stuck with them.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaterj View Post
Adelaide man hoards 5400 toilet rolls.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...19667aa071ca82

Hope he gets stuck with them.
He's definitely on a roll...

Cops won't charge him with anything because it'd just get bogged down with paperwork ...
Old 07-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

Was speaking to a bloke today and he was telling me about how one of the girls who got let go from the coffee shop is an overseas uni student. Everyday at the end of trade she comes into work. So she has been bumming of a friend for free accomodation and comes in because her old boss lets her take some of the unsold food just to survive as she has no income or prospects at the moment. So its sad, but good on george for trying to help. He cannot justify keeping his doors open for much longer either, but atleast is able to apply for government assistance.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #18
MercuryT
Banned

Went to supermarket today and complete lack of social distancing etc just frightening.

I can now best understand Gov't frustration as i've only used my small local store in my Suburb 90% of time but now in Supermarket it was just so silly.

Tassie is going well apparently but the stupidity just ridiculous. One (massive) bloke cuddling partner coughed on me and laughed......(to her credit she gave it to him)

I actually didn't know what to.

Last edited by MercuryT; 07-04-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post

Tassie is going well apparently but the stupidity just ridiculous. One (massive) bloke cuddling partner coughed on me and laughed......(to her credit she gave it to him)

I actually didn't know what to.

People have been charged for doing that. I'm pretty sure everyone who has been charged has been free of the virus, but it's the intent.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Uni is a different ball game all together, kids are savvy and old enough by that point. Really >yr6 is not to much bother but its all time.

But trying to get a kindy, yr 3 and 5 all working at the same time on different topics and levels is not cool...oh and while I am WFH.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To you Victorians, what's it like living under the rule of Chairman Dan? I'm gathering he's ****ed after the High Court gave the Victorian Courts the middle finger and acquitted Cardinal Pell. As revenge, Victorian Chairman Dan Andrews has flagged that any future ‘stage four’ measures could shut down existing industries — such as racing and construction — even as he announced that up to a million Victorian schoolchildren will not attend schools for at least the next term. Fining a bunch of blokes for playing back yard cricket, but allowing a muslim wedding to take place which clearly contravened social distancing laws. Dan is the ultimate virtue signaller and hypocrite.
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Not to mention he shut down an entire logging/sawmill operation without even as much as a simple consultation. Dictatorial attitude may well be his undoing, some voters have long memories, unfortunately most labor voters are blind to their own bureaucratic imprisonment.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Not to mention he shut down an entire logging/sawmill operation without even as much as a simple consultation. Dictatorial attitude may well be his undoing, some voters have long memories, unfortunately most labor voters are blind to their own bureaucratic imprisonment.
Got to pander to those irrelevant greens. Holy hell has there ever been a more utterly worthless political party than them

As for the home schooling, with both me and the fiancee working not sure how this is going to work. Would have to send my son to school. Even if we could keep him home, there's no way he could sit in front of a laptop all day doing school work. Must be a hell of a lot of kids in the same boat. Might be ok for older kids, but primary school kids are a different story.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Too many people here in the PRV need to be told by government what to do, when and how to live.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #25
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I guess you are fortunate that you have 2 incomes,maybe get yourself stood down and collect the $750 week and live easily on the fiancees income
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well I guess you are fortunate that you have 2 incomes,maybe get yourself stood down and collect the $750 week and live easily on the fiancees income
Would be the other way round. Missus has had her work cut back a bit already.

My work hasn't changed at all.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ford/...-07/82335.html

Face shields developed by Ford Australia begin prototype testing ahead of rollout

7 Apr 2020

By ROBBIE WALLIS

AFTER turning its design and manufacturing expertise to help combat the COVID-19 virus currently gripping the world, Ford Australia has developed the first prototypes of a face shield designed to assist frontline medical personnel.

Developed at Ford’s National Parts Distribution Centre in Broadmeadows, Victoria, the new shields are currently in the testing stage, with prototypes having already been delivered to several local hospitals for user trials.

The design for the face shields were developed in-house by Ford Australia’s design team, while working with a number of suppliers to source the materials.

Ford says it will be able to continue working at full capacity on its regular projects while making the face shields, and still intends to meet all milestones and deadlines originally set before the pandemic took hold.

The masks are not the same as the fabric surgical masks worn tightly around the mouth and nose and secured around the ears, but are rather a splashguard-type visor consisting of a clear plastic screen, foam padding for the forehead and a strap that fits around the head.

Speaking to GoAuto last month, Ford Australia president and CEO Kay Hart said Ford had been in discussion with the government on a range of initiatives that the Blue Oval brand could do to support the fight against COVID-19.

“We have been in contact with the government here and we’re actively working on how we could support them in all of their efforts in potentially a range of different ways,” she said.

“We have an amazing team of engineers, designers, innovators … a great amount of ‘brainpower’ here to support the cause in Australia.

“We could have a role to play from an innovation standpoint, engineering standpoint, manufacturing, assembly, we just have a great deal of skillset here with our Australian-based team, and also access to some great knowledge from around the world and from our point it’s a matter of sharing that knowledge that we’ve been able to get from our colleagues in the US and the UK.”

Ford Australia has also introduced a range of measures over the past week, including offering its 2nd Car program to frontline healthcare workers, who can access a Ford vehicle free of charge for a period of up to four weeks.

It has also revised its protocols for servicing vehicles, by allowing customers to have their car picked up and dropped off by Ford employees instead of going to and from a dealership.

Furthermore, when the car is dropped off following a service, Ford employees will also sanitise the car by disinfecting all touchpoints.

More details on the distribution and creation of the manufactured face masks are expected to come to light in around a week’s time.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #27
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Ford says it will be able to continue working at full capacity on its regular projects while making the face shields, and still intends to meet all milestones and deadlines originally set before the pandemic took hold.
So, are these being made in Australia? I didn't realise Ford had any manufacturing capabilities left? Or is this just a small-scale production, ie similar to what might be used for prototyping vehicles?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 10-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #28
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Would be the other way round. Missus has had her work cut back a bit already.

My work hasn't changed at all.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/ford/...-07/82335.html

Face shields developed by Ford Australia begin prototype testing ahead of rollout

7 Apr 2020

By ROBBIE WALLIS

AFTER turning its design and manufacturing expertise to help combat the COVID-19 virus currently gripping the world, Ford Australia has developed the first prototypes of a face shield designed to assist frontline medical personnel.

Developed at Ford’s National Parts Distribution Centre in Broadmeadows, Victoria, the new shields are currently in the testing stage, with prototypes having already been delivered to several local hospitals for user trials.

The design for the face shields were developed in-house by Ford Australia’s design team, while working with a number of suppliers to source the materials.

The masks are not the same as the fabric surgical masks worn tightly around the mouth and nose and secured around the ears, but are rather a splashguard-type visor consisting of a clear plastic screen, foam padding for the forehead and a strap that fits around the head.

Speaking to GoAuto last month, Ford Australia president and CEO Kay Hart said Ford had been in discussion with the government on a range of initiatives that the Blue Oval brand could do to support the fight against COVID-19.

“We have been in contact with the government here and we’re actively working on how we could support them in all of their efforts in potentially a range of different ways,” she said.

“We have an amazing team of engineers, designers, innovators … a great amount of ‘brainpower’ here to support the cause in Australia.

“We could have a role to play from an innovation standpoint, engineering standpoint, manufacturing, assembly, we just have a great deal of skillset here with our Australian-based team, and also access to some great knowledge from around the world and from our point it’s a matter of sharing that knowledge that we’ve been able to get from our colleagues in the US and the UK.”

Ford Australia has also introduced a range of measures over the past week, including offering its 2nd Car program to frontline healthcare workers, who can access a Ford vehicle free of charge for a period of up to four weeks.

It has also revised its protocols for servicing vehicles, by allowing customers to have their car picked up and dropped off by Ford employees instead of going to and from a dealership.

Furthermore, when the car is dropped off following a service, Ford employees will also sanitise the car by disinfecting all touchpoints.

More details on the distribution and creation of the manufactured face masks are expected to come to light in around a week’s time.
Brilliant stuff guys ..
Old 10-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #29
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So yesterday was our last day of work until a week from Monday with Easter and RDO's .

Our canteen was shut so again we decided to again head into town (about two minutes away) to our bakery at lunch time to get one of Evelyn's scrumptious pasties for lunch . Evelyn is our local Filipino baker...she is amazing and really struggling with downturn of biz as are many other businesses all over Oz no doubt . A lot of us school staff have decided to buy our lunch as much as possible in town .

Anyhow.. Cops all over the place . The local constabulary were out in force and at least two out of towners I saw also as they were parked near the Post Office .. St Marys is a necessary junction that people must pass through to head to the upper East Coast either via St. Marys Pass or Elephant Pass so Tasmania Police were ready for many trying to sneak through to shacks and holiday homes earlier than usual . There was an old bloke in the bakery telling Evelyn that he'd been pulled over about a half hour before . He said they were really nice to deal with.

Another stop spot for traffic was Avoca in our region for the same reasons . The old bloke mentioned the cop said that when they weren't satisfied with an explanation , particularly with vehicles towing trailers , boats etc that look a bit suss it was automatic to turn them around and head them back from where they came . Later in the arvo one of the teachers mentioned she was told the same thing .

Channel 7 News Tasmania last night lead story was Tasmania Police blitz on people trying to get to shacks etc and visits to occupied shacks was 'very likely' by the long arm of the law . I guess it'll be like this everywhere .

So be it .

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-04-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #30
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just wondering if someone much cleverer than me (and there's plenty) will do a spoof of this ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r73p95I-eE if in many weeks time we're still in a major travel movement lockdown .

I reckon a dub relating to coronavirus might be quite funny .
Closed Thread