Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #91
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best value V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
E39 LS3. There was one here advertised not long ago, was VERY tempted. Manual too. Around $20k if I recall correctly.

Did some research, whilst its a popular swap, there are a lot of pitfalls that the youtubers don't tell you about. In the end, wasn't brave enough to take the punt.
Always keep an eye out for old mercs and BMWs, especially if can tow from a regional area as they were popular nationwide for those in the regions that were cashed up during the good times.
Lots of bargains, lot of owners that can't afford to pay their mech as they bought them for status symbols and can't DIY and it's a simple fix (with old ones).
E39 is a bit too new, a bit too many "modern problems" for me, but there's a lot of older ones that would suit saving and engine swapping if you want a crate v8.
Even if you don't want to risk it you could probably flip it to someone who will and make some money. Need a tow rig, trailer and willing to drive to rural areas, plus be checking fb enthusiast groups.

I can't do it myself, but I jumped on one bmw because the design and looks sure are unique and worth saving. Not the e39 though, looks like a cross between mits front and toyota rear.

E: If anyone is a fan of the e30, I think the e46 is going to be the next craze. Personally I'd get a 320i wagon and put a m54b30 in it, but any of them with a v8 would be sweet too.

Last edited by oldel; 25-09-2021 at 11:08 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #92
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yes or BA G220 if we're talking sports models. You get one more valve per cylinder

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7425567/?Cr=0
At that price, I wonder if they'd straight swap my BA Fairmont 3V with 251,000km...?🤔
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 12:05 AM   #93
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ba-bf base model XT falcon with 3v 5.4 hover under 8k
fairmont BF mk2 with ZF6 speed can get up to 10k.... pre covid tax

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 01:10 AM   #94
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Speaking of cheap ****boxes with 8 cylinders

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-7372420/?Cr=2

Everyone needs to do the Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge thing once in their lives I reckon (and only once).

Its even got a winch so your local independent auto repairer can drag it into the workshop without needing to grab the guys next door to help push it in after it comes in from the tow truck.

"No major issues to speak of"

And no I am not talking of any fellow forum members....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #95
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks like there are some V8s that haven't really been hit by the covid tax.

I like the resurrection of this Commodore: https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/s...re-on-the-road
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #96
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
It looks like there are some V8s that haven't really been hit by the covid tax.

I like the resurrection of this Commodore: https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/s...re-on-the-road
That makes me want to get on my brothers **** about getting his 82 vh back on the road. Its been in his car hold for 20 years. Its a factory 253 slx, no rust bar around the boot seal (they all do that) 107,000 genuine kays. I know this as it was my highschool girlfriends mums car that she bought new. Its got a snapped rocker arm but my brother has the parts in a box for that, the trimatic is bad, again he has a replacement traumatic. The main reason its still sitting is lack of motorvation and my brothers had a few legnthy driving bans in the past 20 years....
It cost a measly 1 grand when he bought it which at the time was probably too much.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #97
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s probably worth more as-is, then you might think.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #98
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
That’s probably worth more as-is, then you might think.
Its actually the 3rd steel bumper commodore my brother has owned. The 1st probably would be worth a fair chunk these days. It was semi bastardised since day one. My uncle bought it new in 83, but modified it back in the 80s. So not too dissimilar to say buying an hsv new and modifying it. So it was a vh brock. My uncle didnt like the interior so swapped it out for the sl/e blue velour. Didnt like the spoiler, so swapped it out for a vc ss spoiler. Later didnt like the steering wheel so swapped it for the momo out of a vk ss. Put vl calais 15s on it and bilsteins to lower it. But that was the 80s, no ****s given about originality.
But my brother wrote that off.
The next was an odd vc. Odd by the way it was some special edition. It had a vynal roof and on the c pillars badges that looked similar to that of a caprice, but instead of the sheild within the reath it was a C. That car was a 202, really good condition exept moisture under the vynal top rusted out the roof. The interior was then gutted and put in the 253 vh as it was mint. The vh, even with only 107 on it, the interior was worn and faded. So warn light blue piped seats were out, red ones in. New carpet too. So its bastardised but still semi genuine.
I dont reckon my brother will ever sell that vh. He has the bits to get the original motor going to eventually get it blue slipped, but also has a black 304 for it. The 304 has had all the efi business removed, edlebrock intake manifold, rejetted rochester 660cfm 4 barrel carb, roller rockers and a mild cam. Its a proven motor, ive driven it. It was in an lh torana that my brother went halves with a mate because his mate wanted the car, my brother wanted the motor. It went goodly. So a vh isnt a heavy vehicle, i doubt it will run 12.4 as it did in the lh as that thing had some money thrown at suspension etc, but should still be reasonable for street duties.
Old 26-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #99
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, would be worth a bit right now
But is it a six or a 253?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #100
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post

E: If anyone is a fan of the e30, I think the e46 is going to be the next craze. Personally I'd get a 320i wagon and put a m54b30 in it, but any of them with a v8 would be sweet too.
Have missed the boat on E36s too. Unsure what the market is like in Oz, but here manual E36 328i are now going over $15k. 5 years ago guys were picking these up for under $5k and skidding them to death.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #101
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Agreed, would be worth a bit right now
But is it a six or a 253?
The current vh is a factory matching numbers 253, the ex vc was a 202.
Old 26-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #102
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The next was an odd vc. Odd by the way it was some special edition. It had a vynal roof

I've read where if Holden had cars Hail damaged in a holding Yard somewhere. a new; Boot lid, Bonnet a vinyl Roof & the Words Limited Edition was their "rectification Process"....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #103
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've read where if Holden had cars Hail damaged in a holding Yard somewhere. a new; Boot lid, Bonnet a vinyl Roof & the Words Limited Edition was their "rectification Process"....
Maybe. There was nothing really special about it bar the vynal roof and the badges on the c pillar. Other then that it was a vc commodore.
Old 26-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #104
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This was commonplace in Sydney during the various hailstorms we had in the late 1970s. Not GM-H but at dealerships.

The largest I remember was Capitol Motors (a huge Nissan dealer) nearly got wiped out. I heard that he was self-insured & 100s of cars were damaged.

There were heaps of lo-km 200Bs & other models with vinyl roofs on the Sydney used car market for years after.

The vinyl roof & 'Limited Edition' badging was another cheesy aftermarket thing in the 70s & 80s also. Not necessarily due to any hail damage though.

Dr Terry.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #105
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Vinyl roof has to be the worst trend I've seen in automotive history - must have been one of those things where you had to be there
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #106
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Vinyl roof has to be the worst trend I've seen in automotive history - must have been one of those things where you had to be there
Fun days.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #107
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
What a joke honesty is!... when there's an easy dollar to be made, about 10 years ago they were selling Qld and Vic flood damaged write-offs in Sydney and elsewhere, even Pickles got caught up in it!

My nephew was in Sydney looking for a newish Toyota Pajero I think it was, he phoned me about this near new one $43 grand, bloody cheap he said, but, he said Uncle Billy why would it look like its been masked around the door handles and badges?.. of course I knew why?...so I said its a private buyer selling for his Aunty or a female friend?.... he said his female cousin, I said when are you going back, he sad In morning, I said phone me on speaker phone, he did, I asked if I was talking to the seller, this dude said yes, I said I got a mate in the RTA to check the VIN, he said oh, I said my nephew is a good hard working lad, and, I don't like c..t's like you, when we're you going to tell him?....my nephew cuts in, tell me what Uncle Billy, and I said tell you it's a write-off through hail damage?...

My nephew is 6'2" and damn big, and he said are you kidding me, I said no mate, I knew yesterday, I knew it had been repainted when you said it looked masked up!
When we finished talking I heard the Pajero take off at great speed, the lad said he dident hang around long, I said he may of thought you were going to "crack" him, lol, he said no, but I was going to ask him for $50 bucks for fuel for running around!

Bloody cheats and scammers, but I passed details to RTA mate, and he was a used car dealer and he said they paid him visits to his yard on Parramatta Rd every week for 3 months to keep him honest!

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #108
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
What a joke honesty is!... when there's an easy dollar to be made, about 10 years ago they were selling Qld and Vic flood damaged write-offs in Sydney and elsewhere, even Pickles got caught up in it!

My nephew was in Sydney looking for a newish Toyota Pajero I think it was, he phoned me about this near new one $43 grand, bloody cheap he said, but, he said Uncle Billy why would it look like its been masked around the door handles and badges?.. of course I knew why?...so I said its a private buyer selling for his Aunty or a female friend?.... he said his female cousin, I said when are you going back, he sad In morning, I said phone me on speaker phone, he did, I asked if I was talking to the seller, this dude said yes, I said I got a mate in the RTA to check the VIN, he said oh, I said my nephew is a good hard working lad, and, I don't like c..t's like you, when we're you going to tell him?....my nephew cuts in, tell me what Uncle Billy, and I said tell you it's a write-off through hail damage?...

My nephew is 6'2" and damn big, and he said are you kidding me, I said no mate, I knew yesterday, I knew it had been repainted when you said it looked masked up!
When we finished talking I heard the Pajero take off at great speed, the lad said he dident hang around long, I said he may of thought you were going to "crack" him, lol, he said no, but I was going to ask him for $50 bucks for fuel for running around!

Bloody cheats and scammers, but I passed details to RTA mate, and he was a used car dealer and he said they paid him visits to his yard on Parramatta Rd every week for 3 months to keep him honest!

Cheers Billy
You mentioned to magic words.....Parramatta Rd

2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #109
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Maybe. There was nothing really special about it bar the vynal roof and the badges on the c pillar. Other then that it was a vc commodore.
Commodore Royale, most likely.

And that unrestored beige XY GT with the gator skin vinyl roof is frankly 11/10 on the cool scale.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

And that unrestored beige XY GT with the gator skin vinyl roof is frankly 11/10 on the cool scale.
I thought that was a Vauxall Royale or NZ

Old 26-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #111
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You mentioned to magic words.....Parramatta Rd
And you mentioned the un-magic word "to"........

Cheers Billio
Old 26-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #112
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Cheers Billio
Billy, does that mean the un magic word is "to" or does that mean the un magic word as well.

Old 26-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #113
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

I don't think Commodore Royales had a vinyl roof. Royales were introduced to get rid of the 4cyl Commodores.

Side note;

A neighbour of my Dad's place (where I grew up) died last week. Guess what he had hidden away in his garage.

Commodore Royale.

I used to see him driving it regularly when I was growing up. He parked it up in his garage about 20 years ago. Apparently it is still in very good condition.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #114
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I don't think Commodore Royales had a vinyl roof. Royales were introduced to get rid of the 4cyl Commodores.

Side note;

A neighbour of my Dad's place (where I grew up) died last week. Guess what he had hidden away in his garage.

Commodore Royale.

I used to see him driving it regularly when I was growing up. He parked it up in his garage about 20 years ago. Apparently it is still in very good condition.
Turbo conversion on one of those old shartfire Commodores could be fun?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #115
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Cheers Billio
PG2, Billy's making fun of my spelling. Just thought I would mention it to the grammar n***. sorry CB.

3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #116
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Side note;

Commodore Royale.

There's an interesting Korean export one, vinyl roof

Old 26-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #117
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Billy, does that mean the un magic word is "to" or does that mean the un magic word as well.
Not sure, just remember one of the MODS getting burred up with the next poster who used "to" instead of "too" or instead of "two".......

If he sees it you in deep sh.t, ......

Cheers Billio
Old 26-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #118
hayseed

Quote:

Commodore Royale.

It'd be worth a Quid or two, Too.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #119
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is only $3000.00.
I am not sure if he is paying someone $3k to come and take it, or if you have to pay 3k to take it.
Either way it is a cheap V8

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6830925/?Cr=1
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2021, 10:30 PM   #120
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i just wanted to post to add the word also

so is it as well , to or also

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post