Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #91
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I thought todays race was a ripper. I laugh at the thought of replacing it with showroom cars...yawn.

XR8 road car

XR8 V8 Supercar

Audi A4 road car

Audi A4 DTM

GT-R Road car

GT-R Super GT

I think that the V8 supercars maintain resemblence compared to other catagories.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 11-10-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #92
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
I have watched every lap of every Bathurst since 1976 (excpet for ads etc)
Some track side, most on tv.

ITs funny the amount of people who cry for the olden days, when there was more passing etc. most of them are too young (Ok not all!) and are going by some 10 minute highlight reel they have seen. Summarise modern Bathursts into a 10 minute reel and it would be even better.

BAck then there was generally ony 3 or 4 cars really capable of winning most years. Msot years you knew who would win in September! There were prob only 10 cars in "V8" class and half of htem were dungers. 1977 Moff/bond had won all but one race all year. holden werent in it. Come bathurst it was only a question of how much by. 1978-81 the opposite applied. Ford couldnt win a chook raffle.

I did like the variety of cars and drivers, but the amount of cheating, post race appeals and exlusions. Brocks last win was awarded something like 4 weeks after the race!

Also cant help but laugh at teh amount of people who said "Its boring, i only watched a bit" ... Um if youdidnt watch it, how do you know if it was boring. FOr gods sake its an enduro nota 2 lap demo derby.I wonder if you ever read a book with chapters? Things unfold.

THat dice for 3rd this afternoon on last lap was classic.

I dont get passionate about it any more. ITs jstu aprofessional sport with purpose built "sillhoutte" cars. but its a fun waay to waste a day or two.

IF you want cars clsoer to production, you want classes and variety. GET ut to bathurst mid Feb. Vote with your feet and your wallet. Dont slump at your pc and whine.

I will see youthere!
Very well said as well.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #93
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
12 hour is competitive motor racing, it really only appeals to motor racing enthusiasts, people who race or follow amateur and/or professional motor racing at different levels and there are not very many of them really.

Like Polo, IPSC, Netball, Triathalon, or any of the other hundreds if not thousands of sports played, only the true enthusiasts have more than a passing interest.

Volleyball, boring...... but stick the competitors in tiny costumes and put it on the beach.... BEACH VOLLEYBALL....a MUST SEE... who cares about the game.

V8SC is a television mini series, it is entertainment for the masses.

was gonna say competitive pistol shooting til i re-read your post tony.

i dont think there was one spectator up at the Nats in Darwin aside from one girl i dragged along, relatives, or other shooters from the range that werent shooting.

and that was supposed to be in the Arafura Games. go figure!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #94
baxi

been to the track every year since 1992 except this year..always found it entertaning on track & camping...i think the restriction limits on the cars these days make it more competitive...

though i hate it when it rains..."most times".. the best car does not always win..
baxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #95
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Not sure if many of you are familiar with FIA GT3, but this might be a way for V8SC to please some people that are asking for the cars to resemble something you can actually buy at the dealer and attract new manufacturers to the series. We already have a series in Australia like this, it could be a good base to start on maybe?

Basically FIA GT3 is aimed more at people who wish to race on a lower budget. The manufacturers provide the cars to customers fully prepared and ready for racing. But the teams can fiddle around with them but they are all limited in what they can actually alter from production specs. The cars are then hit with certain power restrictions or weight restrictions to keep it all even.

At the moment these cars and manufacturers participate in Europe:

* Ascari KZ1-R
* Aston Martin DBRS9
* Audi R8 LMS
* BMW Alpina B6 GT3
* Chevrolet Corvette Z06.R
* Dodge Viper Competition Coupe
* Ferrari 430 Scuderia GT3
* Ford GT GT3
* Ford Mustang FR500GT3
* Jaguar XKR GT3
* Lamborghini Gallardo GT3
* Morgan Aero SuperSport GT3
* Porsche 997 GT3 Cup S

A lot of variety and not a bad list of names as far as I am concerned.

Ford and Holden could then bring out homogulation models with the aim of competing against the european cars. Imagine an GT3 spec GT or F6 roadcar.

Would that appease the people who don't like the current format?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #96
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've pretty much come to the conclusion that the current formula works very well given the amount of people who watch it and go to the actual race, but It works so well, it makes it boring.

I'd like to see factory cars on the track, factory from the dealership and have all makes/models running to see how they compare against each other, example have multiple "classes" in the same race, then their times are compared against each other in their class, for example Hyundai i30, Ford Focus etc are "small car" class, but they're still on the track with Falcon, Commodore, 300C etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #97
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Not sure if many of you are familiar with FIA GT3, but this might be a way for V8SC to please some people that are asking for the cars to resemble something you can actually buy at the dealer and attract new manufacturers to the series. We already have a series in Australia like this, it could be a good base to start on maybe?

Basically FIA GT3 is aimed more at people who wish to race on a lower budget. The manufacturers provide the cars to customers fully prepared and ready for racing. But the teams can fiddle around with them but they are all limited in what they can actually alter from production specs. The cars are then hit with certain power restrictions or weight restrictions to keep it all even.

* Ascari KZ1-R
* Aston Martin DBRS9
* Audi R8 LMS
* BMW Alpina B6 GT3
* Ford GT GT3
* Ford Mustang FR500GT3
* Jaguar XKR GT3
* Porsche 997 GT3 Cup S

Ford and Holden could then bring out homogulation models with the aim of competing against the european cars. Imagine an GT3 spec GT or F6 roadcar.

That would certainly intrest me....but i have no doubt you are about to receive a few replies why Ford and Holden would NOT consider it.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #98
4117kev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the overtaking is neither here nor there, but it would be nice if they at least raced with the same engine that you can purchase the car with.

Make it the true manufacturers race that it use to be regardless of where the engines come from, this would also give more r&d for the after market products.
4117kev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #99
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO

* Ascari KZ1-R
* Aston Martin DBRS9
* Audi R8 LMS
* BMW Alpina B6 GT3
* Ford GT GT3
* Ford Mustang FR500GT3
* Jaguar XKR GT3
* Porsche 997 GT3 Cup S

Are any of them 4 door family cars? What sales would ford and holden achive with a 150 grand + sedan with no rear seat?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #100
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmore
If this race is boring then Im Bronwyn Bishop.Safety car,you beauty.
Parts I saw weren't particularly interesting, lots of blocking but if you wanted to get past someone, you punted them.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #101
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Trouble these days the cars are far too fast..
If they used std engines ?? I think that MAY not favour Ford ??
The Gen lll engine can be made to BIG capacity...
Atleast in Fords case .. The V8 engines can be built using the Boss 8.2W block..
Ford cylinder heads..
TMK the G.M engine is a speedway motor ?? They originally didn't have provision for engine mounts...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #102
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I think the original poster is about 15 years too late ! ! ITs been boring for ages......
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #103
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know about Bathurst being boring. IMO this was the most nail biting 1000 in atleast 10 years, and infact this is the only Bathurst that I've bothered to watch the entire race, and not in parts.

I just can't get into production racing. I think watching stock SSs/GTSs vs XR8s/GTs around the mountain for 6+ hours would be far more boring than the current formula. It worked well back in the old days, because that's all we were used to seeing. Returning the formula IMO back to a production based formula would be a huge step back.

Anyway even the GT race that was on yesterday with the Porsches, Aston Martins, etc I found underwhelming.

I like it the way it is.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #104
BLDNUT01

to me the race was still exciting even with holden winning but i,d have to say next season doesn,t hold much promise for us ford fans with not that many fords competing
Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #105
500SEC

V8 supercars in October? Boring as hell.

I'll be making my third trip to Bathurst in February. It's Australian motorsport's best-kept secret.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #106
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The race was a cracker, but the finish lacked somewhat.
With the top six doing equal lap times for the last 20 odd laps it was always gonna be a sprint finish with the only overtaking via a shunt.

I'd much rather see a big V8 being hunted by a 4wd turbo.

I know Grp A had its knockers, and rightly so when Gibbo's Nissan team had a gazillion dollar budget, but what about a similar multi category race but run slightly differently.

Consider this
The race is open to any manufacturer
Each vehicle entered is to submit an average lap time and a breakout time(say 5sec quicker than ave time) based on its characteristics ie. an F6 will lap quicker than a N/A XR6.
The total expected race time (lap time x 161) is then compared to all other vehicles in the race and a start time or lap is derived.
So Joe bloggs driving an XR6 (Lets say the slowest expected total race time) sets off on his 1000k race at 10am followed x laps later by the F6.
The F6 will pass the XR many times over his 161 laps until somewhere near the end the two find themselves in a cat and mouse for the line providing the hunt down finish we all want.
If the car beats its breakout lap time, it gets a drive through.

Any thoughts?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #107
PALE ALE

The worst thing about Bathurst, is channel 7 interupting the adverts with the car race!
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #108
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I thought todays race was a ripper. I laugh at the thought of replacing it with showroom cars...yawn.

XR8 road car

XR8 V8 Supercar

Audi A4 road car

Audi A4 DTM

GT-R Road car

GT-R Super GT

I think that the V8 supercars maintain resemblence compared to other catagories.
If you actually read the rest of the thread you'd realise that's not what production car racing is. And why is it so important for them to resemble road cars anyway when they have no commonality.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #109
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Are any of them 4 door family cars? What sales would ford and holden achive with a 150 grand + sedan with no rear seat?
Once again a naiive comment. There is more to gain than just selling $150 000+ homologation cars for a profit. If the tech developed for racing trickles down to the standard production cars then it can actually improve performance/handling/safety/whatever, which is likely to improve sales and competitiveness and perhaps improve the prospects of owning an Australian rear wheel drive. Maybe it's time to downsize slightly anyway.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #110
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFairlaneAU
I'm so bored with the V8's as well.. Bring back production car racing again... The only thing close that come to this is the UTES..
But that is controlled as well to try and make them equal..and low budget.

I enjoyed watching Bathurst, and will continue to do so. Like many have said if you want to watch Production car racing there are races held during the year. If their is a big interest then the media will pick it up.

But V8SC is getting changed in the next couple of years so will have to see what happens.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #111
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Bathurst was on?

I'd rather watch 25 Great Wall V240's circuit:-)
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #112
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Just a quick one

Back in 1984 I think it was they had the Brocks and Johnsons racing factory cars there was also production cars racing all in together
any way the TV commentator pointed out a production VK 308 factory standard car and as it went down Con rod straight it got blown away by a CDT (Country dealer team) Gemini
it just showed the difference between production and factory teams
also the first Armstrong 500 this was prior to Bathurst being the premier event
any way it was won by a Vauxhall Velox as Vauxhall is part of GM its a wonder the red team hasnt crowed about that
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #113
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE
The worst thing about Bathurst, is channel 7 interupting the adverts with the car race!
Tell me about it.
I think as of next year they'll rename it the:
"Channel 7 1000 Ads Extravaganza - with an annoying little bit of cars too"

Quote: