Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #91
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I happen to like the sound of my "vacuum cleaner".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34718&q=winton
I wish my vacuum cleaner sounded like my clevo, i might clean more often....
Old 25-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #92
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

hey GAMMAGIRL can i join the illustrious 300 RWKW club or is it only for clevo s

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #93
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey phil, you might have to show these guys what your all cast iron "wheezer' can do _2:
gammaboy's sig sums up yours quite nicely when you put yours in top gear, and give it a little rev and lay tracks the length of a 1/4 mile!! :sm_headba
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #94
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i read somewhere that clevelands came about because the windsor plants just could not keep up supply of engines , i like em both, would have either but the current one is the boss that would be my choice these days, but i always thought clevos were a bit nicer to work on ,just my 2c
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #95
GRNKPR

Clevos must have been good as they lasted 2 years in the us as Australians sometimes we take a little longer to comprehend

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 25-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #96
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
Clevos must have been good as they lasted 2 years in the us as Australians sometimes we take a little longer to comprehend

The US is just tight with pollution laws. They are also big GMC supporters. They didn't want to get whooped. Hence why the cleveland was banned from so many motorsports in the US. They just went too fast.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #97
GRNKPR

my daddy always said never listen to a CLEVOHEAD as they are as braindead as the rest of em AMEN

Old 25-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #98
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clevelands were in production in the USA for 4 years and the 335 Series was in production for 14 years.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #99
jcxr
Tribal Elder

hey Phil, who is your daddy? Ha Ha. Tried to find you at geelong last weekend. cheers john.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #100
Group C

Only area I can think of that a Clev is better than a Win is the heads.
Early stuff we're talking here.
Hence why Ford used the Windsor block (that has a better oiling layout, revs better, is more compact and lighter), with Cleveland heads (that breathe like no tomorrow) to create the original BOSS 302 engine.

I've had both Windsor and Cleveland powered cars in the past.
Personally, the Clevelands just felt more like a tow car engine, and the Windsors had more of a 'race' engine feel.
The thought of a small, revvy 302 in a small engine bay is VERY nice :Up_to_som ...

And as said earlier, the yanks knew better than a Clev years ago.
Also, I think the old Windsor has proven itself by now, as the last 3 V8 Supercar championships will show...
Group C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #101
all4ford
XW 351

IMO i find the clevo to sound tough but rough! I prefer the sound of a windsor with a decent set of pipes. As far as technical reasoning goes, I'll stay out of it, cos i know f**k all compared to some of the knowledgable guys on here. :
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #102
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
hey Phil, who is your daddy? Ha Ha. Tried to find you at geelong last weekend. cheers john.
the man that was on top of mummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was there near the stage had the xr race car and the 67 american sports coupe next to it and will be at FPV tomorrow in the origanal plant near the rotary club food stall

Old 25-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #103
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group C
Also, I think the old Windsor has proven itself by now, as the last 3 V8 Supercar championships will show...
They aren't Windsors.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #104
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
They aren't Windsors.

the what are they

i know they are an svo block but WINDSOR sized and components

Old 25-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #105
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
my daddy always said never listen to a CLEVOHEAD as they are as braindead as the rest of em AMEN
They must be, they pay a lot more for thier GT's than Windsor blokes. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #106
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

ford motorsport A4 block as used in v8sc is actually based on the windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 02:19 AM   #107
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I'm not entering the arguement but have a question, besides my favourite older blocks are 1. Flathead, 2. Y-Block, 3. FE series.

I've been told that the old NASCAR blocks were based on the Aussie Clevo until Ford brought out the special blocks they use now. Was supposed to have something to do with tougher blocks because of our hotter conditions.
Is this true? And what's the current block based on?

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 02:31 AM   #108
Gammaboy

Quote:
hey GAMMAGIRL can i join the illustrious 300 RWKW club or is it only for clevo s
Depends if that pussy little wheezer of yours can make the numbers...
Old 26-02-2006, 04:49 AM   #109
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
I can't understand why in Australia we thought/think the Cleveland is a better engine then the Windsor. I guess its the same way people today think that the 5.4 Boss is a better engine then the Supercharged 4.6 in the SVT Cobra.

Compared to the Windsor V8, the Cleveland has absolutely no aftermarket support. Basically, using completley off-the-shelf parts, you can make a 2500 - 3000hp Windsor V8 race engine. There's an entire drag racing class dedicated to the Windsor V8... NMRA (National Mustang Racing Association) Pro 5.0. Bunch of 2000hp+ 6sec Windsor cars (with one or two guys using mod motors). The NMRA Pro 5.0 record is 6.671 @ 207.36mph (331.776km/h). The Record Can be seen here

Performance Ford Magazine Volume 4 Edition 7 has a 6sec Clevo powered EB Falcon drag car...McSweeney Racing's EB. It's, to my knowledge, the fastest Cleveland powered car in the world. It ran a best time of 6.89 @ 192mph (307.2km/h) in Top Doorslammer form. It currently runs in BB/AP trim.. with a best time of 6.923 @ 203.16mph (325.056km/h).

Now.. the Cleveland can be made EFI, just as the Windsor. The Windsor is an older engine then the Cleveland, so there is no reason that the Cleveland could not pass new EPA laws, especially if Ford wanted it to. The Cleveland was only ever featured in Falcon GT's as a performance engine. To my knowledge, most US cars either had a Windsor, a Big Block or a "Boss" engine.

For your average street car, it doesn't really matter if you're running a Cleveland or a Windsor. They'll both perform admirabley. However, once you're heading into the realm of extreme power and speed, I wouldn't touch a Cleveland. It would cost you twice that of a Windsor for the same result.
The McSweeney's have gone 6.59 @ 213mph also remember its only a little clevo at only 324 cubes making close to 2000hp....

Oh and I like Windsors and clevo's :P

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #110
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

First let me say I have owned a 289 windsor, a 1993 EFI windsor, and I am lucky to still own one of the australian built 351 clevelands that made its way into the XD.

I Think they are all good.

I was however told once that Windsors are essentially a truck engine.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #111
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

After market supply is more for windsor ???? well lets see let take the number of CRANE cams for each motor as an example

HYDRAULIC CAMS = Windsor = 3, Cleavland = 6
MECHANICAL CAMS = Windsor = 4 Cleavland = 7
HYDRAULIC ROLLER = Windsor = 4 Cleavland = 0

Simple maths show that there is a ИИИИ load more aftermarket stuff for Cleavlands than Windsor in Australia. Who gives a ИИИИ about the USA, we don't live there and neither does our cars.
Its simple - the 5ltr from the EB on don't rev, mine ran out at 4500 and thats with some porting on the heads. On the other hand the cleavland in my xa revs way past 6000 with only heads ported. The stroker 378 is in a league of its own, it goes past the 8000 on the GT tacko.
At the end of the day, it comes down to personal taste. As far as I am concerned as long as its a FORD and not a holden then who gives a flying ИИИИ.
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #112
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The McSweeny's used a fontana block i beleive, that was about 318 cubes. Now they use their own block i think? They make all their own rods and stuff too. All good if you got a ship load of money.
Old 26-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #113
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Depends if that pussy little wheezer of yours can make the numbers...

it already has and with its next freshen up itll have more

know all about pussies dont you as you are sitting on yours : : :

Old 26-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #114
Gammaboy

Quote:
it already has and with its next freshen up itll have more

know all about pussies dont you as you are sitting on yours : : :
Nope, you've got it all wrong. I'm sitting on a chair. I don't even own a cat.
Old 26-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #115
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
I've been told that the old NASCAR blocks were based on the Aussie Clevo until Ford brought out the special blocks they use now. Was supposed to have something to do with tougher blocks because of our hotter conditions.
Is this true? And what's the current block based on?
Does anyone have an answer for this? I honestly don't know and would love to know what's what. Because whatever it is, to sit on the revs they did/do all day is pretty impressive.

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 26-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #116
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Does anyone have an answer for this? I honestly don't know and would love to know what's what. Because whatever it is, to sit on the revs they did/do all day is pretty impressive.
The real answer is:
They are both good engines and the sky is the limit as far as mod's go, with the right money spent either engine will kick major ***, respective owners are passionate about what they have, that's why there will always be debate.
we all love our Ford V8's.

The cleveland has a huge following due to it's Bathurst success and the fact it was in the Legendary GT HO Phase 3.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 27-02-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #117
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The real answer is:
They are both good engines and the sky is the limit as far as mod's go, with the right money spent either engine will kick major ***, respective owners are passionate about what they have, that's why there will always be debate.
we all love our Ford V8's.

The cleveland has a huge following due to it's Bathurst success and the fact it was in the Legendary GT HO Phase 3.
Agreed, just curious, that's all.

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 27-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #118
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby123
The McSweeney's have gone 6.59 @ 213mph also remember its only a little clevo at only 324 cubes making close to 2000hp....

Oh and I like Windsors and clevo's :P
That was an old post. This is a very old thread.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #119
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
This is a very old thread.
Possibly older than you Steffo.
Old 27-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #120
LeMans

The early Windsors were perceived to be less reliable than the Clevos. (I say "perceived" because the Ford GT40 won the LeMans 24Hr race twice with a Windsor 302 (1968, 1969) which is far more demanding than any other circuit race, even Bathurst).

So when Ford Australia wanted more HP in the 70s they had to go more cubes (because that’s how you did it in those days) and the lighter Windsor was dropped for the reliability of the heavier Clevo.

Fast-forward to 2006. Comparing the two engines today is a totally different game. You want 600hp 7500 rpm and reliably out of a 302 Windsor? You got it! We have the technology and know-how. It might not be cheap, but in the end you will have one of the best capacity-per-weight pushrod engines ever built by anyone anywhere.

Just my view of the world :yeees:
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post