Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #91
prydey
Rob

surely johnson just have to tee off now. he's shown that he's got his eye in and bollinger and co. won't be able to support for too long.

no point trying to hang around till stumps in these sort of conditions. have a hit out, or get out and then try to utilise the same conditions before stumps.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #92
g220ba
FGX XR8

well johnson did well for the situation, now bollinger and siddle have to have a go and get Australia bowling tonight.
Pakistan cold be a couple down tonight if Aus get a chance.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #93
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
well johnson did well for the situation, now bollinger and siddle have to have a go and get Australia bowling tonight.
Pakistan cold be a couple down tonight if Aus get a chance.

agree totally. i don't see the point in trying to eke out another 10 or so runs when the conditions tomorrow could be vastly different. swing the bat and have a crack at them while its still a bit gloomy.

on a side note, whats the forecast in sydney for the next 4 days.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #94
g220ba
FGX XR8

increasing sunshine, so tonights the best possible chance.

Channel 9 are an absolute disgrace going to news when Austraalia come out to bowl. What a joke
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #95
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
they need to get rid of the appeal system
Agree 110% here, no if's or but's or discusion, it needs to go....

I did'nt agree with the third umpire when it first arrived, but i can understand the umpire wanting a second opinion now that we have TV cameras everywhere....

It makes a mockery of traditional umpiring, and makes the umpires look like fools....

Howlers, Hawkeye etc etc, what a load of c**p...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #96
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Channel 9 are an absolute disgrace going to news when Austraalia come out to bowl. What a joke

yep, watching australia play test cricket only happens once a year during our summer and yet they still can't move the news from 6pm timeslot. i've never been able to understand it.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #97
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Agree 110% here, no if's or but's or discusion, it needs to go....

I did'nt agree with the third umpire when it first arrived, but i can understand the umpire wanting a second opinion now that we have TV cameras everywhere....

It makes a mockery of traditional umpiring, and makes the umpires look like fools....

Howlers, Hawkeye etc etc, what a load of c**p...

sorry, but times change, and sometimes you have to move with the times, like it or not.

there is a lot more scrutiny on the game these days as well as a lot more betting.

i don't think you'll find an umpire anywhere in the world that thinks using the 3rd umpire for run outs is a bad thing. the next step now is trying to get rid of the 'howler' or blatantly bad call. the inside edge lbw is the main one where umpires often don't here the double noise.

i understand that for all the bad decisions a batsman might receive there is an equal number of lucky decions as well, but that doesn't make it right or wrong.

i don't agree with it at the moment, but like all things, it will improve with time.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #98
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
increasing sunshine, so tonights the best possible chance.

Move to Perth. It's still on tv here :
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #99
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Move to Perth. It's still on tv here :
Don't rub it in or anything.

Looks like Pakistan have been offered the light at 0/14.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #100
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Gee, it makes ya laugh, No word of the dodgy decidions from the appeals system when Australia were in front during the first test, but now its got to go.
Not surprising as the decisions went for Australia and against Pakistan the whole game.
Infact when i brought up the blatantly wrong call with Watsons LBW appeal from that test i was criticised for it.

And i must agree with the poor commentry form, all during the 1st test they went on about Pontings great declerations and the superior batting on the first day which set up the win.
First over this morning and Tubby says he never judges a test from the events of the first day...
Then they went on to blame the conditions yesterday for Australias poor batting...who was it that won the toss and electede to bat?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #101
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

BLOODY CHANNEL 9

One over left and one wicket to go and they decide to go to the news. FFS they are poor.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #102
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
BLOODY CHANNEL 9

One over left and one wicket to go and they decide to go to the news. FFS they are poor.
Yeah i know i said it yesterday. We have at most 30 days of test cricket a year, yes it delays other programs but they don't really have much good on this time of year anyway.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #103
nstg8a

you didnt miss much
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #104
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yeah i know i said it yesterday. We have at most 30 days of test cricket a year, yes it delays other programs but they don't really have much good on this time of year anyway.

unreal isn't it. surely they can run bulletins for a week before hand warning that news will be at 6:30pm so that all the old fuddy duds who like to turn their tv on at 6pm won't get upset.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #105
HTCURRY

i wouldnt read too much into this test one way or the other...its Pakistan. On their day they are lights out freaking awesome, and then the very same team is capable of losing to a team full of schoolboys.

Its the duality of Pakisatani cricket.

We have to remember back when Steve Waugh was captain, and Australia went on that record setting 16 straight test wins streak, Pakistan had australia on the racks, and was 1 wicket away from leveling the series(gilly made sure it didnt happen), instead they lost 3-0....

Lets see if this current team can take advantage of the dominant position they are in...200+ lead, even if australia were to get 400 in the 2nd dig, pakistan would be chasing 200 to win from day 4 second session at the latest.

So everything is in their favour at this point...but can they hold their nerve? Past history says, they will conjure up a way to lose this match in the end...hehehe

Having said all that...man oh man...has australian cricket taken a few steps back or what? I suppose its to be expected, so many inexperienced players...but its like no one is afraid of the aussie aura anymore.
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #106
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
Having said all that...man oh man...has australian cricket taken a few steps back or what? I suppose its to be expected, so many inexperienced players...but its like no one is afraid of the aussie aura anymore.
there is no aussie aura. you have to earn that and this is a young side. unfortunately they have the reputation of the teams that have gone before to live up to.

you can't lose martyn, langer, mcgrath, warne, gilly, hayden etc and not have it have some sort of impact.

we are ranked 3rd (back to 4th if we lose) and i think thats a pretty fair assessment.

the way england are going at the moment, next ashes won't be a walkover.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #107
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

A good start by Watson & Hughes. A decent opening partnership and who knows what may happen, still a lot of time left in this test.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #108
prydey
Rob

i don't want to put the mocka's on them but we are chipping away. its only day 3. we could be in front by 50 or so by stumps and providing we still have a couple of wickets in the shed, we could set them an awkward little target.

big chance for hauritz to become a hero if it all pans out that way.

edit-just beaten to the punch by RG. they'll lose a wicket for sure now with 2 of us opening our mouths like that
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #109
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i don't want to put the mocka's on them but we are chipping away. its only day 3. we could be in front by 50 or so by stumps and providing we still have a couple of wickets in the shed, we could set them an awkward little target.

big chance for hauritz to become a hero if it all pans out that way.
LOL @ posting about the same thing at the same time

EDIT: Right you are, the umps are checking the ball. What's the bet a new ball will bring things undone?
EDIT EDIT: No new ball just a replacement one. Still with both of us posting......

Last edited by RG; 05-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #110
prydey
Rob

hmm hughes pushes at one that balloons out but not taken and then akmal giving watson a life by not even attempting to hit the wickets after taking the throw at the stumps.

maybe we dodged a bullet
Old 05-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #111
g220ba
FGX XR8

It was a good first session for Australia but we're still far from a good postion. It appears to now be a pretty good batting wicket for how long we don't yet.

Pakistan should really have batted a lot better, there were way to many wickets to stupid shots. Watson should never have been able to take 2 catches at deep point it's just stupid batting for the ball to be skied out there on day 2.

For me Australia are looking the better team and i'm standing by my 3-0 prediction.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #112
g220ba
FGX XR8

Also for any team not necessarily just cricket but any team going through a rebuilding phase and to still be in the top 3 or 4 in the world is pretty impressive in my opinion. The current team are just starting to hit their straps and i'm tipping within the next 18 months will be back to no.1.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #113
Paxton
Cobblers!

Biting my nails for Watson. I want to hear him get his Tonne.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #114
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Another failure by Ponting. A great catch but he really needed to go out there and have a captains knock.

Go Watto!

Edit: Not again. That's the test I reckon.

Last edited by RG; 05-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #115
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I blame you RG :-)
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #116
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I blame you RG :-)
I blame me too!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #117
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

And another Fail by Clarke. Great to see the captain and Captain in waiting standing up when their team needs them....
Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #118
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well we've at least made it through to stumps. Hussey is doing what Hussey does, he really is brilliant when he wants to be.....he is also a VERY lucky man. Siddle looks like he wants to hang around for a while too so who knows, things could go all our way tomorrow and we may even post a lead that is somewhat defensible. Anything under mid 100's I would think is too low, 150 is a nice figure to aim for.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #119
g220ba
FGX XR8

Yeah Pakistan really have bowled well this test. Australia up against but anythings still possible although only 1 result really probable at this stage. A 150 -200 run chase makes things interesting. Siddle and Bollinger are capable and of course Hussey is very capable. Very interesting days test cricket tomorrow.

Watson really has been the batsman of the summer and really did deserve a 100, he seems to a get a good ball whenever he gets close. Closing in very fast on slaters record of test 90's. For me North has to be on the brink he really hasn't performed since the test at headingley. He's got some 50's but i'd rather see Hughes opening and either Watson or Katich moving down to 6. That may seem weird to some but hughes is the future of australian and should be given the best chance to perform, a test here and there isn't gonna do it he really needs a good solid chance.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #120
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah Pakistan really have bowled well this test. Australia up against but anythings still possible although only 1 result really probable at this stage. A 150 -200 run chase makes things interesting. Siddle and Bollinger are capable and of course Hussey is very capable. Very interesting days test cricket tomorrow.

Watson really has been the batsman of the summer and really did deserve a 100, he seems to a get a good ball whenever he gets close. Closing in very fast on slaters record of test 90's. For me North has to be on the brink he really hasn't performed since the test at headingley. He's got some 50's but i'd rather see Hughes opening and either Watson or Katich moving down to 6. That may seem weird to some but hughes is the future of australian and should be given the best chance to perform, a test here and there isn't gonna do it he really needs a good solid chance.
While Hughes didn't make a big score he did the job of opener extremely well. Cool, calm, collected and quite confident for a bloke fighting to get back in the team.

Move Kat to 3 or 4 and drop Ponting or Clarke.