Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #91
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

consider this , at least some of the fined drivers knew the sign was illegal so chose to ignore an illegal sign then were fined. the person erecting the sign should be made to pay all the fines and charged with making a false police report for each time a driver was fined. the person asking the police to enforce the sign would be on record and would be a good place to start the investigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
1. sign was illegal. thats the crux. if it was'nt there no one would be fined and this would not be happening.

money will be reimbursed but the person responsible should be charged.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #92
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
consider this , at least some of the fined drivers knew the sign was illegal so chose to ignore an illegal sign then were fined. the person erecting the sign should be made to pay all the fines and charged with making a false police report for each time a driver was fined. the person asking the police to enforce the sign would be on record and would be a good place to start the investigation

agreed.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #93
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Exactly who knew the sign was illegal?

Also to the thread starter and all the other defenders of the ignorant, you could've at least read the story correctly. You do realise the 'Wrong Way Turn Back' sign was an example? The sign was a 'No Left Turn' at an intersection NOT a 'Wrong Way Turn Back' on a suburban street. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...27/2668014.htm

Nobody knew the sign was illegal, it was enforced by the police and looked completely official. So once again you'd be an absolute idiot to ignore it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #94
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

Also to the thread starter and all the other defenders of the ignorant, you could've at least read the story correctly. You do realise the 'Wrong Way Turn Back' sign was an example? The sign was a 'No Left Turn' at an intersection NOT a 'Wrong Way Turn Back' on a suburban street. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...27/2668014.htm

Nobody knew the sign was illegal, it was enforced by the police and looked completely official. So once again you'd be an absolute idiot to ignore it.
Well apart from all signs are not placed randomly, they are documented and information sent to the police, council, RTA and whomever else is concerned the locals may have known it was fake, they may have known the person who put the sign there. Or they may not.
The sign was not backed up with a one way street sign or a physical barrier which is the approved method so possibly people who actually thick and are aware of their surroundings when they drive may have realised it was a fake.

I don't know, I wasn't there and neither were you but if a similar situation occured in MY local area I would judge its legitimacy and act accordingly rather than just concentrate on my speedo while making baaaaaa! noises...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #95
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST

yes, we could have. if my link actually had the correct sign written in the article. which it did'nt.

official...hmm yes the iraq/niger uranium yellowcake papers also looked "official"..........

like i said previously, i haver to wonder if it became an issue only when someone in the area, or the person(s) who put it there got pinged.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #96
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...And get fined for your brilliant 'judging' skills. Implying somebody is a sheep for following road signs is ridiculous, they are there to direct you as to what you can and can't do. They aren't there so you can go ''hmm... I don't agree with this sign, the fact it is placed somewhat to the right makes me question it's legitimacy and even though the police are fining people for not following it I have to say I know better than them".

For the third time: Nobody knew the sign was illegal, it was enforced by the police and looked completely official. So once again you'd be an absolute idiot to ignore it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #97
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
For the third time: Nobody knew the sign was illegal, it was enforced by the police and looked completely official. So once again you'd be an absolute idiot to ignore it.
You have no idea what anyone knew, you have just seen some crap in the media and have jumped on the do-gooder band wagon.

But then not knowing anything has never stopped you posting on here before has it.......
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #98
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well apart from all signs are not placed randomly, they are documented and information sent to the police, council, RTA and whomever else is concerned the locals may have known it was fake, they may have known the person who put the sign there. Or they may not.
The sign was not backed up with a one way street sign or a physical barrier which is the approved method so possibly people who actually thick and are aware of their surroundings when they drive may have realised it was a fake.

I don't know, I wasn't there and neither were you but if a similar situation occured in MY local area I would judge its legitimacy and act accordingly rather than just concentrate on my speedo while making baaaaaa! noises...
No, you sit behind your speedo thinking you know better; and let's be honest, you don't. Quack Quack.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #99
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have no idea what anyone knew, you have just seen some crap in the media and have jumped on the do-gooder band wagon.

But then not knowing anything has never stopped you posting on here before has it.......
Are you serious? How ignorant can you be? Even if you personally assess the situation yourself and decide it's a fake sign it doesn't stop the police fining you for it.

What I have said so many times is going in one ear and out the other with you; the sign was enforced as an official sign and you'd be stupid to ignore it. Let me know how it goes for you when you decide you don't want to follow a stop sign because it doesn't seem legitimate enough.

It's simple LOGIC, you may not have agreed with the sign but the police certainly did. As far as I remember the police decide what you can and can't do on the roads, not you.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #100
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i cant beleive this thread is still going.
the cops were caught out scalping ticket "illegaly" and they knew it.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #101
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Are you serious? How ignorant can you be? Even if you personally assess the situation yourself and decide it's a fake sign it doesn't stop the police fining you for it.

What I have said so many times is going in one ear and out the other with you; the sign was enforced as an official sign and you'd be stupid to ignore it. Let me know how it goes for you when you decide you don't want to follow a stop sign because it doesn't seem legitimate enough.

It's simple LOGIC, you may not have agreed with the sign but the police certainly did. As far as I remember the police decide what you can and can't do on the roads, not you.
You really don't get it do you?

Do you have some vision of thousands of random people driving through this sign and a huge task force of traffic police hunting them down?

Or possibly more likely a couple of naive coppers possibly spot a local who knows the sign is fake, rolls them and then decide to do a bit of revenue raising rolling lots of other locals who know the sign is fake.

How did this get in the media? Maybe one of those rolled complained that a couple of coppers were booking people at a wrong sign and all hell broke loose?

Oh and the police DO NOT decide what you can and can't do they just enforce the law which in this case did not prevent anyone from turning left.

You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of law as opposed to policy or agenda.

The elected government make the laws, the police only enforce them, they have no choice which ones to enforce, which to ignore and which to make up as they go along.

Each sign is placed under legislation and if no legislation then no enforcement.

You can argue all the logic you like but if you were right in your logic then there would not have been refunds would there?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #102
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You really don't get it do you?

Do you have some vision of thousands of random people driving through this sign and a huge task force of traffic police hunting them down?

Or possibly more likely a couple of naive coppers possibly spot a local who knows the sign is fake, rolls them and then decide to do a bit of revenue raising rolling lots of other locals who know the sign is fake.

How did this get in the media? Maybe one of those rolled complained that a couple of coppers were booking people at a wrong sign and all hell broke loose?

Oh and the police DO NOT decide what you can and can't do they just enforce the law which in this case did not prevent anyone from turning left.

You seem to have difficulty understanding the concept of law as opposed to policy or agenda.

The elected government make the laws, the police only enforce them, they have no choice which ones to enforce, which to ignore and which to make up as they go along.

Each sign is placed under legislation and if no legislation then no enforcement.

You can argue all the logic you like but if you were right in your logic then there would not have been refunds would there?
Well i've checked the interviews with the fined motorists and not one had said or brought up anything to suggest the sign looked fake or even near fake, they were simply upset when they found out it was.

I'll say it again: Nobody knew the sign was illegal, it was enforced by the police and looked completely official. So once again you'd be an absolute idiot to ignore it.

Everything else you are talking about you have just brought in because you have nowhere else to go with what you are saying. You don't follow a set speed limit because a member of the government decided on it, you do it because the cops will book you if you don't.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #103
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

This is all 'maybes' and 'ifs'. Mr Flappist until you know for sure what went on (which will be exactly never), I'd advise against making baseless claims. Designing a perfect scenario of "naive" police officers will not cut the mustard in this case. It merely speaks volumes of your lack of respect for our police officers. We can only look at this objectively - the motorists should not have disobeyed a sign that they didn't know for sure was misplaced. If one single person contacted the authorities regarding the sign and its placement, it would have been taken down immediately. Alas, people take the easy way out and simply drive through it. Of course, they know better :togo:

By the way, I grow tired of people making the excuse that police officers somehow, by choice or otherwise, lack the judgement of everyone else regarding things that we see as unfair. Learn to respect our police officers; they are not the problem. Stupid people are. In this case, the people got lucky.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #104
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
This is all 'maybes' and 'ifs'. Mr Flappist until you know for sure what went on (which will be exactly never), I'd advise against making baseless claims. Designing a perfect scenario of "naive" police officers will not cut the mustard in this case. It merely speaks volumes of your lack of respect for our police officers. We can only look at this objectively - the motorists should not have disobeyed a sign that they didn't know for sure was misplaced. If one single person contacted the authorities regarding the sign and its placement, it would have been taken down immediately. Alas, people take the easy way out and simply drive through it. Of course, they know better :togo:

By the way, I grow tired of people making the excuse that police officers somehow, by choice or otherwise, lack the judgement of everyone else regarding things that we see as unfair. Learn to respect our police officers; they are not the problem. Stupid people are. In this case, the people got lucky.
I know just as much about it as you and ST do, bugger all, it is all a media beat up and all of your "facts" are just journalist's stories.

The police are never wrong.
The ordinary people are never right.
The media always publish the unbiased truth.
Everything is black or white, there is no grey.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #105
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Can we call it a 3 way tie ...... that way every one wins

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread