Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #91
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I lost out, back on em but down to about 5 a day, just gradually cutting them out one by one. Girlfriend has been lovely and supportive which has been a big help.

biggest vice is when mates come round for a bs and then its all downhill from there.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #92
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Get on the e cogs while u cut back then . At least its a healthier option and you wont notice a difference
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #93
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Well I lost out, back on em but down to about 5 a day, just gradually cutting them out one by one. Girlfriend has been lovely and supportive which has been a big help.

biggest vice is when mates come round for a bs and then its all downhill from there.
Sorry to hear that, but try again! Circumstances like that don't make it any easier. With me it is the reverse. No one I associate with smokes anymore. Made it a lot easier for me.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #94
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Well been of them since the 2nd of May, had 2 lapses, first being I had 2 cigs on my bucks night and the second being I had one on my wedding night, other than that happily of them with no real urges, all done cold turkey
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #95
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
I had one on my wedding night,

...deservedly so
Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #96
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I've stuck it out and only had 2 today... got home, tasted some ham we had, proceeded to eat half the refrigerator, I can't remember the last time food tasted the damn good! Wanting that afternoon smoke though.....

Where can you get those e-cigs? I was going to get some gum but not sure what would be the better option. Are they prescription only?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #97
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

just keep your head up mate

do it again give them up again

I walked into a toilet at the local shopping centre today andsomeone had been smoking in there and all i can say is bloodyhell that smelt bad

I found my mate that manages the place and told him and he was laughing at me because he thought i smoked still

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #98
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Well I've stuck it out and only had 2 today... got home, tasted some ham we had, proceeded to eat half the refrigerator, I can't remember the last time food tasted the damn good! Wanting that afternoon smoke though.....

Where can you get those e-cigs? I was going to get some gum but not sure what would be the better option. Are they prescription only?

Got mine from

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/

... should be here soon.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #99
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well I had my last ciggy sunday morning, havent had any since then. Been gradually cutting back since my last relapse and this time I'm making a real go of it.

Nearly did my head in Monday at work but today isnt so bad, still craving one but I haven't told anyone to go shaft themselves yet so things are looking up

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support from everyone on here, makes a difference knowing others have been through it and beaten it. The biggest help has been goal setting, and telling myself I can either smoke and have one car, or not smoke and have both a 6 and a v8 :P
Old 20-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #100
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff grandpa spec

just take it one day at a time

if you want ill pm you my phone # and thenyoucan call me any time

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 20-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #101
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I had my last ciggy sunday morning, havent had any since then. Been gradually cutting back since my last relapse and this time I'm making a real go of it.

Nearly did my head in Monday at work but today isnt so bad, still craving one but I haven't told anyone to go shaft themselves yet so things are looking up

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support from everyone on here, makes a difference knowing others have been through it and beaten it. The biggest help has been goal setting, and telling myself I can either smoke and have one car, or not smoke and have both a 6 and a v8 :P
Good luck. Don't give up. It is a very hard thing to give up, but it is truly worth it.

I had to count back, (didn't take note of the day), but I am at 1 month now. The longer you go, the better you will feel. Well, almost, I have had this damn cold for 3 weeks now.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #102
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Good luck. Don't give up. It is a very hard thing to give up, but it is truly worth it.

I had to count back, (didn't take note of the day), but I am at 1 month now. The longer you go, the better you will feel. .
I'm over 7 weeks now, and I never think about them at all now until I read this thread.

My biggest incentives are too numerous, but my health, my family(not passing on the passive smoke), and my bank balance are the main goals and I feel and look so much better for it.

If I can do it, anyone can, so keep at it all you quitters, we are here to support each other.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #103
max
LWBforME

Yes, good work everyone! Keep it up. It is so worth it! Coming up to three months for me. Feel good, feel so FREE! Benefits are numerous and it does get better with time, definitely! BUT, my concern is some 5kg weight gain! All around the guts. I am now 93 kg and 185cm tall, large frame. I know I need to exercise more. I do not drink beer, but I need to analyse the calorie intake. Some sobering stocktaking to do there. Out with a list of comfort foods, hehehehe... Or at least limit them!
Old 23-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #104
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Thats what I've found, comfort foods just taste 10 times more delecious!

I just downed fish and chips, as well as a couple of slices of roast beef doused in gravy... om nom nom.

I've had to resort to the gum a couple of times, yesterday I was feeling awful, and today I still am getting headaches but its almost been a week now so I'm getting there slowly.
Old 23-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #105
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Thats what I've found, comfort foods just taste 10 times more delecious!

I just downed fish and chips, as well as a couple of slices of roast beef doused in gravy... om nom nom.

I've had to resort to the gum a couple of times, yesterday I was feeling awful, and today I still am getting headaches but its almost been a week now so I'm getting there slowly.
Well hell! Food was MEANT to be enjoyable! Ciggies are terrible anyway you look at it. They don't contribute anything except to perpetuate the nicotine dependance. Honestly, get yourself up to a month or two off them and you won't look back!
Old 23-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #106
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have discovered sugar free lollies ...... Double D brand ..... cant tell their sugar free & a yummy sweet to suck on to keep the mind free
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #107
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I have discovered sugar free lollies ...... Double D brand ..... cant tell their sugar free & a yummy sweet to suck on to keep the mind free
Sounds good. What flavours? Eclipse Mints and that sort of sugar-free thing cause mega flatulence!!!!
Old 23-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #108
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Butterscotch & caramel are the two flavours I have tried so far No flatulence so far :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #109
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went on the Champix mid last year and quit after 12 days, (i'd recommend them to anyone, they really do work and the side effects are minimal if any).

Problem was i didnt take the full 3 month course and which contributed to me taking it up again after seven months of being smoke free.

I'm on the tablets again now (day 12) and this time i'm determined to quit forever. I gained about 10 kg after the first time i quit and haven't lost it since, hope i don't put on another ten this time too.

Good luck to everyone trying to quit, it's one of the hardest things to do.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #110
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I had a completely different thought when I first read this. Then I saw the next post regarding flavours.
Old 24-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #111
lowfly
lowfly

About 3 months now, went cold turkey, now I can afford for performance upgrades.
Sweet
lowfly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #112
rubber fire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have been 8 months with out smoking the savings an extra cash
each week is great now i got g6e as my presy for staying off them
could not have got it if i still smoked yooohoo for me an keep at it guy's
and girls it is worth it
rubber fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #113
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

made it my first week without them, feeling great but still on the gum, even managed to not have one while on the **** so a big thankyou to everyone for the support.

Managed a 22.5km bush walk on saturday and have improved my treadmill time from 10 -15mins to 30mins at the gym... difference is amazing! Don't feel like im gasping for air nearly as much now
Old 26-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #114
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
made it my first week without them, feeling great but still on the gum, even managed to not have one while on the **** so a big thankyou to everyone for the support.

Managed a 22.5km bush walk on saturday and have improved my treadmill time from 10 -15mins to 30mins at the gym... difference is amazing! Don't feel like im gasping for air nearly as much now
good stuff mate

keep it up it only gets better from here

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #115
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well done. Keep at it, and stay on the gum as long as you need it. Don't try and get off it to early and fall back into the habit.

Good luck.
Old 27-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #116
max
LWBforME

Well I have made 3 months today. On 29 April I decided I would stop smoking- as in quitting permanently. All the usual reasons (I had tried three or four times throughout my life for periods of up to about three months). This time it was with the additional resolve that I simply will not pay $15 a packet when the govt jacked up the prices, plus at my age I no longer want to be a smoker. So I went cold turkey as they say. In retrospect, I now feel way better, and so free from the shackles of dependence, and I am enjoying fully other worthwhile aspects of life. The main things needed to succeed are willpower, an understanding of how the nicotine fix cycle works on a smoker, and constantly reminding yourself why it is so important that you are quitting. Reading Allen Carr's theories in 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' really helps. To turn around a lifetime habit is daunting. But it is the initial breaking of the cycle that is painful, however that only lasts for a few days. There is so much readjusting to be done to one's lifestyle, and that must be done enthusiastically so that one is really embracing the prospect of converting to the life of a non-smoker. Given the shrinking opportunities for smokers, there has never been a better time to quit. Soon, all the priorities of the lifestyle of a non-smoker seem to fall into place: care about one's health, appreciation of fresh air, good food and drink, and physical activity. For those of you contemplating quitting or going through the rigours of the early stages, or falling off the wagon and getting back on again, just keep up the resolve– you will eventually succeed. Research shows that permanently reformed smokers have usually tried a number of times prior to finally succeeding to quit for good.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #117
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done max

you are a better/stronger than me

I needed medication to give up

i am 4 months tomorrow and i love it

the thing that anoys me is walking past a smoker and thinking is that what i put others through

Keep up the great effort guys you will feel better soon enough

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #118
max
LWBforME

Nah Jason, I was a shocker! I would probably have been better off with the medication. I was not much fun to be around for the first week!
Old 28-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #119
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Congrats max! To you too Jason!

I know what you mean too Jason, I remember a time where I lit up and a family walked past me, poor little girl nearly coughed up a lung... didn't I feel like the devil himself :S

I just hope to god that kids don't look at it as being "cool", its nothing like the movies!
Old 28-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #120
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

good start to want it to happen. i quit in april and now smokers stink.. i can smell them and ash trays are the worst smell too.. (im in hospitality)
i was a full time smoker..loved it..especially with the drink..
i gradually cut down in milligrams, so i ended up on the 1mg smokes.. believe it or not they feel heavy after 2 or 3 packs....
i still have my half empty pack in the garage..
if you get a cold and swollen throat, smoke till it makes you sick..it helps...
or what ever is easy..
keep reminding yourself why you quit or want to.. an add where a mum tries to tell her kids she has cancer helped me make my decision quicker...

the only advice is to not drink when you stop!!! this is the critical make or break point. once you drink, you will smoke.... be paitent for a week or so...
good luck mate..!!! you won't regret it..(FROM A QUITTER...)
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post