Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #91
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
In the Adelaide Advertiser there was a full page add claiming the 6 cylinder Falcon sedan was the best selling 6 cylinder sedan car last month!
Interesting... Does go to show Commodore is strungling just as much as Falcon, it is just hiden by the Wagon sales.. Min of 1403 Wagons sold (3771 - 2368)
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #92
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Interesting... Does go to show Commodore is strungling just as much as Falcon, it is just hiden by the Wagon sales.. Min of 1403 Wagons sold (3771 - 2368)

I think its the high percentage of Commodore V8 sales which is a bigger factor. But Ford has always been misleading with its marketing.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #93
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa425/zetec51/
I didn't delete previous photo's!!!!!

Last edited by csv8; 08-12-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fords AD Todays Paper
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think its the high percentage of Commodore V8 sales which is a bigger factor. But Ford has always been misleading with its marketing.

So what they're saying is false?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #95
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Oh yeah, coz, like, Holden's marketing is always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #96
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How so, they quite rightly claim that the Falcon, ytd, is the best selling 6 cylinder sedan in Australia. It has outsold the VE sedan, and the Aurion, which is only a sedan.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #97
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
How is it misleading? They havent said that they sold the most sedans.

It's not like Holden have ever made slightly ambiguous claims.

Edit: beaten to it.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #98
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Oh yeah, coz, like, Holden's marketing is always the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
ford comparing diesel Focus to Corolla for fuel economy in ads,

proclaiming world fuel economy challenge results, unmodified production cars, Fiesta Econetic had rear wiper removed for better aerodymanics

wagon production cancelled, told media only losing 150 a month, when in fact it was triple that.

Told media XR sales are now a big proportion of sales, neglected to mention due to XT sales having died in the ****.

At the cancellation of local Focus, told so they can now do lilpg, diesel territory and ecoboost. Neglect to say Orbital was already doing the new Lpg anyway, most of the work on diesel had been done, and that ecoboost was a detroit directive on all passenger cars. .

Now proclaiming how well Falcon 6 cylinder sedan is selling, knowing full well v8s are a big proportion of Commodore sales.

Ford is always spinning some sh***
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
At the cancellation of local Focus, told so they can now do lilpg, diesel territory and ecoboost. Neglect to say Orbital was already doing the new Lpg anyway, most of the work on diesel had been done, and that ecoboost was a detroit directive on all passenger cars. .
There is a big difference.

No, orbital is supplying the components and basic programing but Ford are responsible for
developing the design and plumbing in the engine bay, meeting emissions and all reliability tests.

Also, the work on the LILPG was stopped when Ford spent 12-18 months on V6 Falcon.
When Burela reinstated I-6 for post Euro IV, there was not enough time to get all jobs completed
before July 1 2010 so priority was given to resumption of developing petrol variants as well as
engineering for Coyote V8 and adapting the Ecoboost I-4, engine bay and front suspension changes.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #100
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:

Hahaha because everybody else always tells the complete and honest truth. It's only ford who are lying.

Never mind that Holden allow you to think that their entire range originates right here in Aussieville, Australia.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #101
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ford comparing diesel Focus to Corolla for fuel economy in ads,

proclaiming world fuel economy challenge results, unmodified production cars, Fiesta Econetic had rear wiper removed for better aerodymanics

wagon production cancelled, told media only losing 150 a month, when in fact it was triple that.

Told media XR sales are now a big proportion of sales, neglected to mention due to XT sales having died in the ****.

Now proclaiming how well Falcon 6 cylinder sedan is selling, knowing full well v8s are a big proportion of Commodore sales.

You can accuse Ford of many things however it's definately not the leader in spinning marketing sh** as you put it..in fact some here would say they don't market enough. Take the Stato police interceptor. Holden made it seem exports were under way when in fact to date 130 cars have been ordered for detective work and they are now taking the local press overseas to see the how the car is being shown by Chev to 20 police forces. Who do you think did the work on HSV's LiLPG system, hell HSV don't even do their own engines.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #102
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

XR were 1:1 with the XT during the B-series day actually.

Also I4T was being tested 1 year before any and obviously it made a few people stand up. Really the LPG is just an Orbital system...so why can't I get a direct LILPG system for my car?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #103
prydey
Rob

i wouldn't be too worried by anything Brazen says, all too often he shows his true colours - and it isn't blue.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #104
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i wouldn't be too worried by anything Brazen says, all too often he shows his true colours - and it isn't blue.
I love Ford cars as much as the next bloke, but even Ford dealers have criticism, look at who they just kicked out...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #105
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
I love Ford cars as much as the next bloke, but even Ford dealers have criticism, look at who they just kicked out...

You mean the same dealers that are criticised heavily on here?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #106
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You mean the same dealers that are criticised heavily on here?
yes, the same Ford dealers who are blamed on here for everything from Ford's poor marketing and product choices to global warming.

They are a convenient scapegoat.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #107
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

He has a point.......
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #108
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
He has a point.......
what point?

someone on an internet forum whinged about a dealer so that makes them all bad?? luckily the only good dealer is down the road from me.

also, if he is also referring to the fact that marin has moved on, i don't think that has anything to do with what he may be doing wrong. i think its a indication of what he has done right and now they want to use his expertise in another growing market.

i can never understand how so many people think they know more than the decision makers at ford. if many people on this forum were in control, the ford motor company would be in way more debt than what it currently is (i don't know there situation). apparently it is profitable to make cars that don't sell. apparently all you need to look at in your decision making process is the monthly sales data.

so many experts. i hope you've submitted your business case to ford!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #109
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
And the reason I feel Ford is strong, 4000 units sold every month with a potential 2000 units a month by the end of 2011 if TD Terry, LiLPG and ecoboost all launch sucsessfully. Good times are a coming Ford fans..................
I keep believing that too. It's all just about 6mths further away than i expected 12 months ago. Still, they are coming.

I think Ranger and Fiesta will surge in 2011 too. Total year 2011 market share will probably be under 10% but in the closing stages i think a monthly share of 11% or more is highly achievable in a profitable way.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #110
camac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i still dont get why commadore almost doubles falcon sales , and why the falcon doesnt fair too well . is it international sales .? does anyone know why the falcon doesnt compete too well?
One reason is because you get idiots that downtrod the falcon and believe that "Commodores are King" etc, and others believe this hype. Also the way Ford Australia are advertising at the moment is really average at best. The FG is an awesome car, but the current ads wouldn't make me want to buy one. The best ad Ford did advertising the falcon was when they brought out the BA range in 2002.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #111
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camac
One reason is because you get idiots that downtrod the falcon and believe that "Commodores are King" etc, and others believe this hype. Also the way Ford Australia are advertising at the moment is really average at best. The FG is an awesome car, but the current ads wouldn't make me want to buy one. The best ad Ford did advertising the falcon was when they brought out the BA range in 2002.
It's much simpler than that, a lot of people do not consider Ford products because the
competition is much better these days days and the smorgasboard of products to
chose from is quite comprehensive for a country the size of Australia,
nearly every European, American and Asian manufacturer cars are here.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #112
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Those foreign cars from europe and Japan have kit and features that simply isnt available on the Falcon. Buyers these days want more than just cruise control and ABS brakes, they want lots of toys and features. Value for money if you will, even if it is just perceived value for money.

The other thing that's hurting the Falcon at the moment is the amount of variants that have been culled from the lineup - e-gas, wagon, RTV - would have all amounted to an extra 1000 units a month to the total that Ford is not getting anymore.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #113
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falconfail.

The FG deserves so much better than this.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #114
prydey
Rob

just a question - what 'kit' is the falcon missing that makes other vehicles much more sought after?

rain sensing wipers? voice activation? i'm pretty happy with my FG and nothing else on the market would've enticed me to buy. there's no way i even want to 'talk' to my car to get it to do something. maybe i'm just a simple fellow.

i think part of the drop in sales is the fact that the 'large car' thing isn't what it used to be in australia. falcon is fighting for a much smaller peice of the pie these days. if you want a large car there still isn't much choice, and falcon is very competitive in that field for the price.

there's no point getting upset that the falcon gets outsold by corolla, mazda3 or hilux. none of these buyers are looking at buying a large car anyway. you're not going to walk into a showroom and look at a falcon and then end up buying a small car or commercial vehicle.

so what cars are falcons competition? commodore? aurion? camry?? accord? passat? this is a genuine question. what cars do people honestly believe the falcon is fighting with?

has the falcon grown too big? if mondeo was available as a rear drive with a 6cyl, would it sell more?

i realise commodore is still selling well, but holden could re release the vb and it would still sell 3500 units a month.

interested in others thoughts on a few issues rather than everyone just sticking the boots into falcon and saying ford have dropped the ball and other options are better.

personally i believe 2500 units a month, give or take, is about where it is.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i think part of the drop in sales is the fact that the 'large car' thing isn't what it used to be in australia. falcon is fighting for a much smaller peice of the pie these days. if you want a large car there still isn't much choice, and falcon is very competitive in that field for the price.
Lack of E-gas is really hurting them, that would give them sales at around 3,000/month.
Ecoboost I-4 is OK but IMO, Ford should be putting diesel in sedans and Ute, opportunity missed.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #116
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
what point?

someone on an internet forum whinged about a dealer so that makes them all bad?? luckily the only good dealer is down the road from me.

also, if he is also referring to the fact that marin has moved on, i don't think that has anything to do with what he may be doing wrong. i think its a indication of what he has done right and now they want to use his expertise in another growing market.

i can never understand how so many people think they know more than the decision makers at ford. if many people on this forum were in control, the ford motor company would be in way more debt than what it currently is (i don't know there situation). apparently it is profitable to make cars that don't sell. apparently all you need to look at in your decision making process is the monthly sales data.

so many experts. i hope you've submitted your business case to ford!
Get off your high horse, he had an opinion of which I agreed with. Apparantly as far as your concerned we can't have an opinion on here unless it suits you. Grow up eh............
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #117
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Get off your high horse, he had an opinion of which I agreed with. Apparantly as far as your concerned we can't have an opinion on here unless it suits you. Grow up eh............

lets not stoop to namecalling eh!! why does everyone believe what they read on the internet regarding ford dealers etc etc. i know and have dealt with quite a few good ones. know plenty of people in the same situation. AFF is not a majority. its a minority.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #118
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had no problems with Denmac, Metro Ford or Tropical Ford, Rockhamptom, over the years. But do keep going back to Metro, always got a good deal etc from them.
Maybe its a few spoiling it for everyone. Anyone from LS1 relate Holden dealer stories?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #119
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I love it when people say the Falcon and the Commodore could have such big sales around the world.
A niche car for world markets, is a two or three shifts a day, production line for Ford or Holden.

Not rocket science.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #120
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It depends what happens with three very important products next year:
1) TDCI Territory I-6 volume might drop 25% but profitable TDCI will be around 50%, a nett gain
2) LILPG Falcon, E-Gas was around 20% of Falcon production -LILPG is Vital to Falcon (4 days/month)
3) Ecoboost I-4 Falcon, the new efficient car set to bring quite a few conquest sales.

So conservatively, an increase of 500/month on each of the three new models
will see production increase by about 40% from 4,000/month to 5,500/month.
All of those are fairly profitable models, I think Ford will be away again with them.
I have serious doubts that the new products coming soon, will shift as many cars as many on here think. There is a brand perception problem, especially for Territory, that Ford have not addressed.

They need to spend as much money on the brand and the fixes to the dealer network, as they have on these cars.

Not knocking the cars, they are all good and smart things to do, but if your B series Falcon was a lemon or your Terri was always in the shop, these things on their own aren't about to swing you into buying mode. Ford fans forgive easily, the buying public don't.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post