Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #91
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Everest catches fire on Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Toyota Prius has an Emergency Response Guide...
file:///C:/Users/Default.HP/Downloads/1%20%20Toyota%20Prius%20HEV%20ERG%201st%20Gen(1).p df

Just dont go near it if orange cables are exposed !!!!
Thanks mate, great article and very informative.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #92
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6 Martin link not working!! try this one http://newmarkettoyota.ca/hybrids/em...sponse-guides/
Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #93
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
A couple of things there..........

1# Is an alarm system standard on the Ranger “My daughter heard the alarm go off first — the car was locked — and then saw it go up in flames,”
If not could it have been faulty alarm wiring.

2# If Mr Dowling spoke to both Ranger owners (who Ford said to use their Insurance) why did he not contact the insurance companies to see what they found out as to the cause of the fires.

I guess investigative journalism isn't in his CV .
Yes they have an alarm.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #94
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Just looking at the photo of the burnt Ranger, on the right hand side (neg) of the battery, are those 2 wires coming from the terminal? If so, mine does not have that. You are also meant to earth to the chassis not to the battery. Maybe aftermarket modifications are the cause in that case.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #95
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Just looking at the photo of the burnt Ranger, on the right hand side (neg) of the battery, are those 2 wires coming from the terminal? If so, mine does not have that. You are also meant to earth to the chassis not to the battery. Maybe aftermarket modifications are the cause in that case.
Good spotting naddis01!! But still they blame Ford. Since we dont yet know the cause of the Everest, no one should really comment. too many what ifs? Just a scenario, what if the last mechanic accidently left off the oil cap, oil on exhaust...fire.

No body blamed the aftermarket or owner if it was their fault, just Ford!!
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #96
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Funny when the Holden Colorado had a recall for engine bay fires earlier this year, it wasn't beat up to include burning kiddies and explosions.
Just that Holden has a recall like every other car manufacturer, except they are first at that too.
Good old JD again.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...31838551937e87
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...incidents.html
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #97
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
C'mon it's Ford ..... they all do that don't they?????
That's what the Service Department keep saying.
I’m not so worried about the kiddies being roasted in the fire as we all know they taste better cooked.

If what you say is true and the Dealership won’t offer warranty as they consider it's normal and they all do that, what does concern me is I’ll be left driving around in a vehicle that’s showing obvious signs of a fault which will be poor for resale.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #98
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

I don't pretend to know, but aren't the Rangers electrical systems set up for aftermarket gear? And wouldn't there be some sort of built in fault protection if some gear is added on?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #99
cram_it_frog
wombat

there is one thing about this item that brings to light and that is you need to be careful on who installs electrical accessories into your new car some one who does not know what they are doing can cause major problems

as i said the fire might be a ten cent part that may have been damaged by some one connecting the wrong wires

but this is not new the 70s model jags were built with dodgy electrical units and they caused so many problems

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #100
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
there is one thing about this item that brings to light and that is you need to be careful on who installs electrical accessories into your new car some one who does not know what they are doing can cause major problems

as i said the fire might be a ten cent part that may have been damaged by some one connecting the wrong wires

but this is not new the 70s model jags were built with dodgy electrical units and they caused so many problems
Yes, as I mentioned in another thread on this, and in my previous post here a couple of days ago, going by the escalating electrical problems he had before the fire, I wouldn't be surprised if the fire was caused by some temporary installation of equipment used for testing, hooked up to the battery.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #101
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say cars of many different makes catch on fire for no apparent reason every single day somewhere in the world.
Most you will never hear about because it usually just happens to random citizens going about a normal day and not ones being test driven by people working for a major news website.
At the most if a random persons car catches on fire, news companies might write a short report with a few photos and maybe video attached.

Because this Everest has been widely publicize, disgruntled people who have had similar situations are likely to contact the news website to have a whinge. The journalist who wrote the original Everest article would want to add on to this story while it is still hot.
I bet if you bought a brand new Colorado, DMAX, Amarok which caught alright for no reason and contacted this news website today, they wouldn't care and wouldn't write a story about your car because it's not related to this story.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #102
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was looking at the removed battery terminal. wondered when it had been removed and by who. I was recently lectured on what not to do at a suspicious fire scene and this ticks the box. isolate electrical gear normally remove the earth.

The workshops EX ranger it was hard to quickly remove the earth lead due to that smart charge sencor and tight installation.

Running a wire to the earth battery post is bad-however some equipment wont work connected to the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
I don't pretend to know, but aren't the Rangers electrical systems set up for aftermarket gear? And wouldn't there be some sort of built in fault protection if some gear is added on?
I disappointed me that the ranger wasn't engineered to suit the application that a commercial work vehicle will require. Considering the advertising that these are locally developed to suit local needs. doesn't the engineering market department visit smaller operators.

Why the ranger etc dosnt have a ready to go beacon light- from assembly line is odd, infact it should big money spinner. falcon has wiring axcess in the B post. Everest will be used as a work truck requiring lights and items like fridge.

Plenty threads around the forums to read on questions over the last few years-dual batteries-smart charge, trailers and work and driving lights. The only fix I located was an expencive canbus stand alone system for mine ready and emergency service vehicles.

The LGA fleet I look after have all had to have radio and phones-beacon lights power outlets for aux equipment. items like aux odometers and gps related equipment. All fitted on the cheap and in a way that they can be removed without causing risk, many have to use the factory power outlet and plug boards but recently there has been a requirement for hard wired only equipment due to operator errors.

None of the vehicles we use offer factory look switch and harness. these are all contract sales so as long as the sales staff has no interest then I guess it wont be passed up the chain as a need.

Tractors and earthmoving gear supply this easily.
Toyota, hino and Isuzu dealer in our area all have tried to find me parts and would like to sell installation kits.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #103
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I would say cars of many different makes catch on fire for no apparent reason every single day somewhere in the world.
Most you will never hear about because it usually just happens to random citizens going about a normal day and not ones being test driven by people working for a major news website.
At the most if a random persons car catches on fire, news companies might write a short report with a few photos and maybe video attached.

Because this Everest has been widely publicize, disgruntled people who have had similar situations are likely to contact the news website to have a whinge. The journalist who wrote the original Everest article would want to add on to this story while it is still hot.
I bet if you bought a brand new Colorado, DMAX, Amarok which caught alright for no reason and contacted this news website today, they wouldn't care and wouldn't write a story about your car because it's not related to this story.
Problems from accessories fitted are probably more common than we know, you only have to look at some of the dodgey wiring fitted to some gas installations, tow bar wiring , after market driving lights, etc, ..... bulldog motors .... rough rough,
it would certainly be nice if ford has not fitted some fool proof plug and play auxiliary wiring for accessories ................. to do so !
It would be another selling point too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #104
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
I was looking at the removed battery terminal. wondered when it had been removed and by who. I was recently lectured on what not to do at a suspicious fire scene and this ticks the box. isolate electrical gear normally remove the earth.

The workshops EX ranger it was hard to quickly remove the earth lead due to that smart charge sencor and tight installation.

Running a wire to the earth battery post is bad-however some equipment wont work connected to the chassis.

I disappointed me that the ranger wasn't engineered to suit the application that a commercial work vehicle will require. Considering the advertising that these are locally developed to suit local needs. doesn't the engineering market department visit smaller operators.

Why the ranger etc dosnt have a ready to go beacon light- from assembly line is odd, infact it should big money spinner. falcon has wiring axcess in the B post. Everest will be used as a work truck requiring lights and items like fridge.

Plenty threads around the forums to read on questions over the last few years-dual batteries-smart charge, trailers and work and driving lights. The only fix I located was an expencive canbus stand alone system for mine ready and emergency service vehicles.

The LGA fleet I look after have all had to have radio and phones-beacon lights power outlets for aux equipment. items like aux odometers and gps related equipment. All fitted on the cheap and in a way that they can be removed without causing risk, many have to use the factory power outlet and plug boards but recently there has been a requirement for hard wired only equipment due to operator errors.

None of the vehicles we use offer factory look switch and harness. these are all contract sales so as long as the sales staff has no interest then I guess it wont be passed up the chain as a need.

Tractors and earthmoving gear supply this easily.
Toyota, hino and Isuzu dealer in our area all have tried to find me parts and would like to sell installation kits.

Maybe they should look at the Ranger XL Plus. It has most of the things you're asking for including duel battery set up and wiring for driving lights, work lights and beacons. It also has more aggressive tyres and canvas seat covers.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #105
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Result of Ford investigation into the cause of the fire.

No further action or recalls required.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...a57c5236fe6d75

Quote:
Everest or Ranger ute: fire was caused by a loose battery cable
December 8, 2015 6:33pm

JOSHUA DOWLINGNATIONAL MOTORING EDITORNews Corp Australia Network

The 2015 Ford Everest caught fire while being road tested by CarsGuide journalist Peter Barnwell. IT will go down in history as one of the unluckiest test drives of all time.

Ford says there is no need to issue a recall for 1000 Everest SUVs or 100,000 Ranger utes — made on the same production line — after an investigation found last week’s Everest fire was caused by a loose battery connection.

Ford says the problem is unique to the Everest road tested by News Corp Australia journalist Peter Barnwell because the battery had been replaced in Thailand after the early production vehicle sat in a compound near the end of the assembly line for two weeks.

The Ford Everest was one of the first 300 vehicles built, but the company has since inspected 2000 cars in Australia and overseas to ensure there is not a manufacturing fault.

“We are confident this is not a systemic failure, or a design defect, or something that has happened through the assembly of the vehicle,” said Ford Australia safety expert Andy Cooper. “It’s an unfortunate thing that someone has made a mistake. We’ve found no other instances and we think it’s very unlikely.”

Ford says it will not issue warnings to customers or make any changes to the owner’s manual because the problem occurred after a battery replacement.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #106
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Also makes sense with the prior issues he was experiencing before the event as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #107
RealChampionSup
Starter Motor

Mmm, loose battery cable, my parents picked up a brand new focus less than a month ago (also built in Thailand) and we just so happened to find the positive battery lead was loose on the battery. We were able to just pull it off with no tools. Their excuse was it gets pulled off during shipping, but it really should have been checked again during pre delivery if that was the case, especially on a car with an auto start stop engine.
RealChampionSup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #108
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
I call BS.
You would of course, but care to explain why?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #109
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, that explains it all then
All the people who've had battery problems in their PX Rangers, and for those with ICC and other electronic problems including smart charge !
Just tighten the battery terminals properly

(I had my battery replaced, but clearly in doing so they actually tightened the terminals properly)
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #110
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Millions of cars driving around with loose and corroded battery terminals. There is definitely more to this. FORD tell porky pies.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #111
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I've seen a loose terminal get that hot that it melted the wire so it's plausible. It may not actually be the terminal directly on the battery. My guess is it's the next connection along, at the back of the terminal, probably the alternator wire.

Haters gonna hate.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #112
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have also seen the results of a loose battery terminal get so hot it blew the whole battery terminal off , it doesnt have to be a battery cable , anything pulling a lot of amps with a loose or dirty connection can build up a lot of resistance and heat.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #113
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Ford employed qualified forensic scientists. How can their findings be proven?
Ford have a track record of denials and cover ups. Territory ball joints spring to mind.
I don't believe a single word that comes out of their mouths.
You make my brain hurt. Seriously. You use Multix to make your tin foil hats?

You obviously have zero, read zero, clue about anything to do with this or how any of it works. You have no idea how these guys can pick apart a vehicle to find a fault. It really is amazing what they can do. Hell, they can track the cause of an entire bush fire to a single cause!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 12:54 AM   #114
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Ford employed qualified forensic scientists. How can their findings be proven?
Ford have a track record of denials and cover ups. Territory ball joints spring to mind.
I don't believe a single word that comes out of their mouths.
Bu...but the Territory is an Australian car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:33 AM   #115
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Ford employed qualified forensic scientists.

We know you're not aware.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #116
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The charging systems on these are a little different to the older vehicles..
A loose or high resistant connection may cause alternator to over charge..
When fitted with 12V to 12V charger for external house batteries etc...
Plays havoc with charging system.. He May have had an inverter fitted also ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #117
GTMOND

Yes , I have seen many battery posts melt due to a poor fitting terminal. As soon as a high amperage load is placed on it the post can melt instantaneously.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #118
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
So Ford engineers are bush fire investigators now? Talk about making brains hurt.

I questioned the findings because they appear to have been made by Ford employees, rather than a qualified forensic investigator.
I'm not quite sure what bushfires have to do with it. The findings are made by qualified engineers and they have been assisted in the process by qualified fire investigators so perhaps get your facts straight before shooting your mouth off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted
Ford have a track record of denials and cover ups. Territory ball joints spring to mind.I don't believe a single word that comes out of their mouths.
.. and therein lies the problem. By your own admission you are going to be biased so perhaps we can save you the angst and simply remove you from a Ford forum so that you don't have to be further troubled by deception.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #119
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i have also seen the results of a loose battery terminal get so hot it blew the whole battery terminal off , it doesnt have to be a battery cable , anything pulling a lot of amps with a loose or dirty connection can build up a lot of resistance and heat.
It happens all the time on 24V setups, we blew away half the positive battery post on our jump start trolley batteries when we had a loose terminal on one of the batteries.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #120
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I call BS.
Don't you always ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post