Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #91
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: QLD Mobile Phone $1k Fine from Feb 1. Also includes passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough View Post
To me a phone conversation requires no more concentration than talking to a passenger in the car or listening to the radio. It is rather simple, a call comes in and I press the answer button on the stearing wheel and start talking, my hand never leaves the wheel or my eyes leave the road. My concentration is the road first and the call second. Using the CB radio required more concentration on my part than a phone call. I've been driving for 20+ years and rack up at least 30,000km a year.
Like most Truckies I used to avarage >200,000kms a year.

But I give up, you're obviously far more intelligent than most others on the road. Perhaps you should try for a job with the people who make the rules and tell them that they've got it all wrong.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #92
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I dunno. I used to roam the channels while driving looking for some hot YL's.....
Some things never change
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #93
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There's a bit of a worrying trend in our society that if something is the law, that it must be 'right'.

Just to give some context over things that were law in Australia, It was illegal to be gay in Tasmania up until 1997.

It wasn't until the end of 2015 that Tasmania became the first state that expunged criminal records for homosexuality 'offences' - these people had their lives effected negatively, from travel bans to employment issues because of criminal records - because they were in same sex relationships decades ago and prosecuted for it.

The White Australia policy was also a bunch of various legislation and it was only up until 1973 that race was removed from immigration policy completely.

There better be a damn good reason to be implementing legislation rather than on a whim and it should be able to be questioned.

Once something is legislation it's very difficult to remove.

Just because it's law, does not make it fair, or just.

Personally I use my phone while driving and I believe it's a risky activity, but most of the time I'm just crawling along in Melbourne gridlocked traffic - risk management principles.

I'm interested in the data of phone use compared to talking to passengers or UHF radio - for both for and against, I'm suspect on Monash University road safety studies because they're on Government payroll, but let's entertain it.

I'm not talking he said she said I've been driving for 97 years personal experiences, I'm talking studies.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-03-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #94
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

But I give up, you're obviously far more intelligent than most others on the road. Perhaps you should try for a job with the people who make the rules and tell them that they've got it all wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPAylLzCabc
Old 03-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #95
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's a bit of a worrying trend in our society that if something is the law, that it must be 'right'.

Just to give some context over things that were law in Australia, It was illegal to be gay in Tasmania up until 1997.

It wasn't until the end of 2015 that Tasmania became the first state that expunged criminal records for homosexuality 'offences' - these people had their lives effected negatively, from travel bans to employment issues because of criminal records - because they were in same sex relationships decades ago and prosecuted for it.

The White Australia policy was also a bunch of various legislation and it was only up until 1973 that race was removed from immigration policy completely.

There better be a damn good reason to be implementing legislation rather than on a whim and it should be able to be questioned.

Once something is legislation it's very difficult to remove.

Just because it's law, does not make it fair, or just.

Personally I use my phone while driving and I believe it's a risky activity, but most of the time I'm just crawling along in Melbourne gridlocked traffic - risk management principles.

I'm interested in the data of phone use compared to talking to passengers or UHF radio - for both for and against, I'm suspect on Monash University road safety studies because they're on Government payroll, but let's entertain it.

I'm not talking he said she said I've been driving for 97 years personal experiences, I'm talking studies.
96 years for Gaso thank you................
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #96
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Being an ex trucker explains a lot. In my 20+ years of driving I've found Taxi drivers are the worst with truckers a close second. I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time I've had a trucker try and intimidate me. Just last weekend I had a trucker give me a go on the horn for stopping at a stop sign. So yeah your opinion means zero to me.

This is an example of the driving I see by "professional" truckers daily

https://youtu.be/uX1ncjtRqB8

Last edited by borough; 03-03-2020 at 08:35 PM.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #97
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And your video clip adds what to this debate?
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #98
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Being an ex trucker explains a lot. In my 20+ years of driving I've found Taxi drivers are the worst with truckers a close second. I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time I've had a trucker try and intimidate me. Just last weekend I had a trucker give me a go on the horn for stopping at a stop sign. So yeah your opinion means zero to me.
I’m curious, what does “being an ex truck driver explains a lot” mean?
I’d be richer if I had a dollar for every driver I saw using a mobile phone.
How did you go finding any information on CB radio being a distraction? I remember reading something years but can’t find it now, that’s why I didn’t relate to anything I read in it.
You point regarding P platers and radio’s may carry some weight but until it’s passed there’s not much you can do about it so your argument is mute.
Opinions are like... you know what. Everyone’s got one and quite often there’s going to be clashes of opinion but they have the right for it to be heard, much like your opinion on the Ranger
So far I haven’t seen anything to show what’s more distracting apart from opinions, mine included.
Like Franco said, laws aren’t always fair and just but without them where do we stand.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #99
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The law exempting CB's and dispatch systems which used to run on radio waves like CB's was probably written so Police didnt have to fine themselves...

When uber started taxis protested about the drivers playing on mobile phones all day...accepting jobs, using navigation etc...nothing happened. Pre uber days most taxi drivers were full time and knew most main roads and didnt really use satnav. Nowdays to compete with uber the drivers are not trained as well and just follow satnavs like uber and everyone else.

The new versions of taxi and police dispatch equipment are mobile phone only and the radio part will not be there at all for all but the most remote areas where there is no mobile service. These are in use NOW. I directly queried DTMR Qld (this is, or was about QLD rules) and the rules are Taxis/uber can accept jobs and answer calls if the device is affixed to the car, ie - in a cradle. How the Police act on this to prove it was a legitimate job or he was playing a song list or facebooking she could not answer.

I also asked what if I use my hand held UHF...it is a CB so allowed? She would not confirm...

Best thing is to set and forget as they say...anything else seems to be at your own risk of the Police's interpretation.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #100
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
And your video clip adds what to this debate?
It shows the type of driving that I see from truckers on a daily basis and why I don't have a lot of respect for them. As for the debate, not much.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #101
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Studies are only any good if they support your own opinion.

If they don't support your own opinion they are funded by the Government and/or a company that influences the outcome.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #102
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Studies are only any good if they support your own opinion.

If they don't support your own opinion they are funded by the Government and/or a company that influences the outcome.
That's called 'confirmation bias' hence why I asked for multiple sources, but nice try.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #103
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's called 'confirmation bias' hence why I asked for multiple sources, but nice try.
You have plenty of time on your hands, you have google, you seem pretty smart, how about you throw us up some links?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #104
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
I’m curious, what does “being an ex truck driver explains a lot” mean?
I’d be richer if I had a dollar for every driver I saw using a mobile phone.
From what I hear and read truckers generally have a "i'm perfect" attitude and nothing is ever their fault. In my driving experiance of 20+ years, the last 13 being more than 30,000km a year that is simply not true. The driving that I see from some in the cohort can be best described as bullying of other road users. Every time I drive on the Ring Road I see a "professional" truck driver in a 55.5 tonne B-Double tailgating a person driving at best a 2 tonne car. If that car driver needs to put on the anchors quickly they would be toast. When I'm on the freeway in a roadworks zone doing the speed limit and there is a truck behind me more times than not I get tailgated. I've lost count how many times has the Napier St bridge been hit by a container truck and the container falls off. Why can't the trucker check the height of the bridges on their route first? I'm not saying car drivers are perfect because they're not.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:00 PM   #105
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
You have plenty of time on your hands, you have google, you seem pretty smart, how about you throw us up some links?
It's known as cognitive distraction - it turns out talking to passengers, using hands free or using your phone in your hand all have very similar ratings for distracting drivers - but you don't get a thousand bucks in fines for talking to someone in your car.

Not only that but using speech to text is more distracting than the phone, yet most modern cars have infotainment systems that promote this?

https://aaafoundation.org/measuring-...on-automobile/
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #106
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
From what I hear and read truckers generally have a "i'm perfect" attitude and nothing is ever their fault. In my driving experiance of 20+ years, the last 13 being more than 30,000km a year that is simply not true. The driving that I see from some in the cohort can be best described as bullying of other road users. Every time I drive on the Ring Road I see a "professional" truck driver in a 55.5 tonne B-Double tailgating a person driving at best a 2 tonne car. If that car driver needs to put on the anchors quickly they would be toast. When I'm on the freeway in a roadworks zone doing the speed limit and there is a truck behind me more times than not I get tailgated. I've lost count how many times has the Napier St bridge been hit by a container truck and the container falls off. Why can't the trucker check the height of the bridges on their route first? I'm not saying car drivers are perfect because they're not.
And there you go with your opinions again
But you are putting truck drivers into your little hate basket. Don’t get most drivers confused with 457 drivers
I know Napier st bridge well, I’ve had to avoid from time to time
I drove trucks in Melbourne along the ring road, most major roads and a lot of small roads. For every car length I left in front of my truck I had as many muppets jump in front of me. Luckily for them I wasn’t in a B-double or they may have been a bit shorter than they were.
Truck drivers have a different way of driving compared to car drivers, we see and drive to the conditions, what you see in a car is not even half of what truck driver sees in the distance.
That video you linked to really was pointless, there’s thousands to choose from.
I’m done with this debate, it’s going nowhere.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #107
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's known as cognitive distraction - it turns out talking to passengers, using hands free or using your phone in your hand all have very similar ratings for distracting drivers - but you don't get a thousand bucks in fines for talking to someone in your car.

Not only that but using speech to text is more distracting than the phone, yet most modern cars have infotainment systems that promote this?

https://aaafoundation.org/measuring-...on-automobile/
I'm not directing this at you Franco, I'm only quoting your post as you have actually quoted a study.

If these tasks are distracting should the rule makers make all of these distractions illegal or make phone usage legal?

I remember when I was growing up if the radio was on it stayed on one station and was barely audible. We all sat there quietly and if any us kids started talking Mum would turn around and scream, "Stop talking, your Father is trying to drive!"
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #108
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
And there you go with your opinions again
But you are putting truck drivers into your little hate basket. Don’t get most drivers confused with 457 drivers
I know Napier st bridge well, I’ve had to avoid from time to time
I drove trucks in Melbourne along the ring road, most major roads and a lot of small roads. For every car length I left in front of my truck I had as many muppets jump in front of me. Luckily for them I wasn’t in a B-double or they may have been a bit shorter than they were.
Truck drivers have a different way of driving compared to car drivers, we see and drive to the conditions, what you see in a car is not even half of what truck driver sees in the distance.
That video you linked to really was pointless, there’s thousands to choose from.
I’m done with this debate, it’s going nowhere.
There you go with the "it's not our fault" attitude I always hear from truckers. So what is the difference between a 457 trucker and the rest? Sounds like a little bit of racism to me.

I'm done with this pointless debate.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:45 PM   #109
hayseed

Quote:
It shows the type of driving that I see from truckers on a daily basis and why I don't have a lot of respect for them. As for the debate, not much.
You Must be an American...??? 'Cause here in Australia, We're Truckies
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #110
borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
You Must be an American...??? 'Cause here in Australia, We're Truckies
Thanks for pointing that out, I would have been lost without your input.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #111
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

The phone law applies to p platers, because they are considered inexperienced in driving.
The same reasoning behind curfews and passenger limits - and im not hearing many whinges about that.
Same theory applies to p plate riders being restricted to smaller bikes.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #112
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
The phone law applies to p platers, because they are considered inexperienced in driving.
The same reasoning behind curfews and passenger limits - and im not hearing many whinges about that.
Same theory applies to p plate riders being restricted to smaller bikes.
I'm against the ridiculous restrictions P platers have, mind you I'm seeing a few local youngins get around in XR5 Turbo Focus, JZS171 Toyota Crown and various older V8 cars that were all on the government poo list back in my day so obviously something has changed since I got out of the system 6 years ago.

I don't agree with the passenger limits on the young ones, it makes it inconvenient for doing a night out, you need multiple desos and its hard enough getting one.

I have absolutely no experience with motorcycles but I wouldn't comply with LAMS laws if I suddenly took up riding, or I'd get the license and wait out the LAMS restrictions for the first few years and just buy something decent for my first bike.

Motorcycling appears to be dying, it seems Millennials have no interest in it but thats a topic for another thread.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-03-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #113
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
This is an example of the driving I see by "professional" truckers daily

https://youtu.be/uX1ncjtRqB8
I'm so outraged by this.
Never knew these antics were taking place on our roads and they were probably using one of those dangerous new fangle CB radio's.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #114
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

With the amount of Millenials Numpties on their phones I see in Sydney traffic that are all over the road.

I have a hard enough time avoiding them in my travels everyday.
You need your wits about you in Sydney traffic ... so it is best not to have any of these distractions.

I have my phone in the Samsung cradle on the screen ... it sits there idling along .... and keeps me informed of traffic changes. I listen to it occasionally .... but it is never touched while on the move.

I have the option to answer calls through the car's bluetooth ... I don't though ... unless I am parked somewhere and not driving.

I used to do courier work ... and yes the work came through to phones or MDT devices. But there's a time and place to check these sorts of things ... and its not while negotiating traffic. I have had time had to pull over to check these things to make sure I was heading to the right places if jobs changed last minute.

Its not hard really.

As the advertisements say everywhere pretty much ... "stop it ... or cop it".
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #115
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I agree on getting all the people who hold their phones and use them while driving. However, the arguments that a CB radio is safer than a phone being used as a phone with a Bluetooth hands free kit do not hold water. To answer a phone call all I do is move my finger on the steering wheel to the mechanical button an press it. My eyes don't leave the road and my hands don't leave the wheel. During the conversation I have both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. To hang up I press the same button. Now compare that to a CB radio, when I want to talk I need to take my eyes off the road to locate the Micand take one hand off the wheel during the conversation to activate the PTT. Then when the conversation is over I need to take my hand and eyes off the road to return the mic to its holder. So please elaborate how that is safer than a mobile phone where my eyes don't leave the road and my hand does not leave the steering wheel.
I thought I was clear that my post was referring to hand held phonecalls.

But has been pointed out that UHF conversations rarely require deep thought, or have emotional feelings. They are brief and 99% of the time refer to driving conditions close to your current position.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2020, 08:16 PM   #116
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ssshhh! - don't wake him up...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #117
MercuryT
Banned

Need to ban Cabbies from playing with their equipment at highway speeds too.

It's bloody dangerous down my way as they are all over the place despite a straight highway
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #118
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a bit of a heads up Mercury,2 kms does not constitute a straight highway
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #119
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Bit of a bit of a heads up Mercury,2 kms does not constitute a straight highway
Don't you start........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #120
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

So young drivers on red P's (P1's) are apparently using walkie-talkies when out driving as a group, or during their car club driving days, because it is legal. Again, driving with one hand on the wheel and talking while driving. Add to that mix a manual gearbox.

How the hell is this legal and a phone in a cradle with a Bluetooth speaker not?? Using a walkie-talkie is exactly the same as using a CB radio while driving.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post