Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #91
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: The gradual removal of the "average/family" enthusiast choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I've owned lots of Falcons (mostly 6s) and Fairlanes (mostly V8s) over the years.

I currently have an FG XR6 ute that will see me out and we have just traded the Territory (diesel AWD) for a Kia Sportage SX+ (diesel AWD) and I'll be 80 when the warranty runs out unless I petered out before then.

I don't need the Sportage for towing, so it is vastly superior to the Territory in all other ways.

If you want a good used car then hesitation is not your friend. I bought the ute based on pictures and talking to the owner 18 months ago - a 2009 model, 60,000kms and in mint condition. I paid $17,000 for it, probably $5,000 more than I wanted to pay. They would not budge on price and I knew it would sell quickly.

Late last year, Shannons upped the insurance value on the ute to $20,000

Because of the silly market, I see some blokes now asking $25,000 for FG NA and insane prices for turbos.

I am a very happy camper with these cars:

How come you decided to ditch the Territory and what attracted you to the Kia?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #92
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
How come you decided to ditch the Territory and what attracted you to the Kia?
Territory (AWD diesel) was 7 years old, still on original brake pads, plus apart from servicing, the only cost I incurred was tyres and a battery.

Sportage AWD diesel is a direct replacement

KIA give a fleet discount to old jungle crawlers like me, plus no GST, stamp duty and pensioner rego, meant that the price for me was $9,000 off drive away price.

Add this to a massive $17,000 trade in and the deal too good to refuse.

BTW, the Sportage is a great car.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #93
hayseed

Quote:

KIA give a fleet discount to old jungle crawlers like me, plus no GST, stamp duty and pensioner rego, meant that the price for me was $9,000 off drive away price.

Add this to a massive $17,000 trade in and the deal too good to refuse.
That Sounds like an Awesome Deal....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2022, 02:40 PM   #94
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like an absolutely awesome deal.

Is it common for pensioners to get fleet pricing?

Or did you get an individual super special deal.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2022, 05:06 PM   #95
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Sounds like an absolutely awesome deal.

Is it common for pensioners to get fleet pricing?

Or did you get an individual super special deal.
KIA gives a fleet discount to Vietnam Veterans on a TPI disability pension

Fed Govmint deletes GST

State govmint deletes Stamp duty plus a saving on rego (3rd party still has to be paid)
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #96
hayseed

Quote:
KIA gives a fleet discount to Vietnam Veterans on a TPI disability pension

Fed Govmint deletes GST

State govmint deletes Stamp duty plus a saving on rego (3rd party still has to be paid)
I was wondering How that detail Worked..?
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #97
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I was wondering How that detail Worked..?
I fill out an exemption form that is retained by the dealer

It also allows GST off purchase plus car parts for servicing/maintenance but not labour.

The dealer records the transaction as GST free and an adjustment is made on their BAS (Business Activity Statement)

Some tyre retailers would rather give a discount rather than record it as GST free which means their accounting may be a bit suss.

https://www.ato.gov.au/assets/0/104/...0758ac263c.pdf
4 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 07:14 PM   #98
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I fill out an exemption form that is retained by the dealer

It also allows GST off purchase plus car parts for servicing/maintenance but not labour.

The dealer records the transaction as GST free and an adjustment is made on their BAS (Business Activity Statement)

Some tyre retailers would rather give a discount rather than record it as GST free which means their accounting may be a bit suss.

https://www.ato.gov.au/assets/0/104/...0758ac263c.pdf
I didnt know an NA falcon and a sportage were an enthusiast car...
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #99
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I didnt know an NA falcon and a sportage were an enthusiast car... a good lookin' blokes car
Post fixed
5 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #100
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
The Corolla example was used to correct your 'one engine' statement. Considering Toyota made a hot hatch version of the Corolla in the '00s is further proof of the point Crazy Dazz was making and the one you misinterpret - nowadays it is different trim levels with identical mechanicals. Suits the house wives and retiring boomers. Useless for enthusiasts.

But yeah, a better example to get Dazzas point across would be Renault Clio Sport, Peugeot 206/306 GTi, Holden Barina/Astra SRi, Civic VTiR, Accord Euro R, Mondeo ST30 etc.
This is going nowhere
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #101
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Right, time for an update.

So I managed to test drive a blue accord euro r. First impressions are the design is still IMO pretty sharp for a near 20 year old car. It's been a very long time since I have driven a decent petrol engine and the responsiveness is impressive. Zipping through outer Melbourne's traffic is busy with the 6 speed manual but it's light and slick. Even getting to 6000rpm is easy and enjoyable....oh...vtec kicked in yo and off we go to 8500rpm.....that's a bit addictive.

It's not a powerhouse but it goes ok. Interior, I'm impressed for its age, no odd noises and fit n finish is good. Must say I like the recaros and general style.

I'm trying to take emotion out of it but to me it's that kind of car...this is not a logical choice.

I got to Tassie then started upping the budget, lamenting the direction the industry is going I thought why not splash out. So test drove a MY15 Sti....I didn't realise it was heavily modified (but quality). I was impressed but the blow off valve, exhaust, rock hard suspension was all too much for a daily.

So then I tried a MY17 WRX in an attempt to soften things up and it was easier to live with, FA20 is not bad but runs out of breath but it would maul the accord so moot point perhaps. It had stock suspension and for me its still to harsh...the reduction in sidewall height is not a great outcome.

From there numerous other online searches for various mildly sporty hatches left me excited but still feeling a bit empty....thus I have put a deposit on a 2003 Euro R with plans to pick up next week.

For me it's the best mix of sport, comfort and I intend on joining a track day club or alike so a revvy NA represents a more reliable package. For me it may be the last time we get a ICE for a daily so I went with the heart moreso than the head.

Although ill leave the door open for a turbo boxer one day, I can see how people get hooked.

I'm sure most will think I am crazy as on paper it's not the most competent, but there are other factors and the rarity also appeals. Was also a bit if a hurdle to get my wife across the line given the asking price and age. It reminds me of my T2 TE50, but with a bit more personality. If anyone is interested I may start a thread if and discuss the lack of torque.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 17-02-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2022, 01:07 AM   #102
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

You have just purchased one of the finest modern cars ever made. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

So I managed to test drive a blue accord euro r. First impressions are the design is still IMO pretty sharp for a near 20 year old car. It's been a very long time since I have driven a decent petrol engine and the responsiveness is impressive. Zipping through outer Melbourne's traffic is busy with the 6 speed manual but it's light and slick. Even getting to 6000rpm is easy and enjoyable....oh...vtec kicked in yo and off we go to 8500rpm.....that's a bit addictive.

It's not a powerhouse but it goes ok. Interior, I'm impressed for its age, no odd noises and fit n finish is good. Must say I like the recaros and general style.

I'm trying to take emotion out of it but to me it's that kind of car...this is not a logical choice.

I got to Tassie then started upping the budget, lamenting the direction the industry is going I thought why not splash out. So test drove a MY15 Sti....I didn't realise it was heavily modified (but quality). I was impressed but the blow off valve, exhaust, rock hard suspension was all too much for a daily.

So then I tried a MY17 WRX in an attempt to soften things up and it was easier to live with, FA20 is not bad but runs out of breath but it would maul the accord so moot point perhaps. It had stock suspension and for me its still to harsh...the reduction in sidewall height is not a great outcome.

From there numerous other online searches for various mildly sporty hatches left me excited but still feeling a bit empty....thus I have put a deposit on a 2003 Euro R with plans to pick up next week.

For me it's the best mix of sport, comfort and I intend on joining a track day club or alike so a revvy NA represents a more reliable package. For me it may be the last time we get a ICE for a daily so I went with the heart moreso than the head.

Although ill leave the door open for a turbo boxer one day, I can see how people get hooked.

I'm sure most will think I am crazy as on paper it's not the most competent, but there are other factors and the rarity also appeals. Was also a bit if a hurdle to get my wife across the line given the asking price and age. It reminds me of my T2 TE50, but with a bit more personality. If anyone is interested I may start a thread if and discuss the lack of torque.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #103
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

ditto re the H Euro - Polyal we got the Luxury model for the old man some years ago.
Brilliant car and build quality, passed onto my son later.
If its looked after can't go wrong.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

Keen - start a thread in the non Ford vehicle section, be good to have some more company down there

Chuck a link in here once its open
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #105
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Right, assumption that the options in question was in line with the thread topic, ‘enthusiasts choice’. Are you meaning options that are a gimmick like infotainment tech or ones that compensate for driver incompetence like blind spot assist etc…

That reads like a Wheels acceleration time. As they were slower than a wet week. Google says Celica with the same running gear does it in around 7 seconds. But regardless, comparing performance spec to vehicles decades apart has no relevance. Back then that Corolla was one of many affordable hot hatches, which is a segment that has died off along with interest in enthusiast choice vehicles.
Yep!

and keep in mind that this thread is about "average" "enthusiast" options, so that excludes any outlying super expensive models.

Seems to me that increasingly every make is chasing the same market segment, (which in itself is nothing new) but also eliminating real choices (at least as far as an "enthusiast" is concerned)
I'm sure that a Millennial can identifying and value the differences between 5 different levels of trim, but to me they're all much the same.

Don't get me wrong, today's cars are unquestionably better designed, better built, and better equipt. It's just that from my perspective the differentiation is lacking, and in many cases the underlying mechanicals are just bleh.
Horrid little motors designed to scam the testing, CVTs, and suspension designed for nothing more than shopping centre speed humps.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: