Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #13531
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Apparently we will be getting new lock down orders in NSW today or tomorrow..

Too many grey areas, contradictions and 'outs' in the wording of the current rules.

See what happens.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 12-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #13532
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
AOC screwed up. Why the fudge would the planes have gone to Sydney. There are so many mystery cases, the cause of spread is not known. Sensible thing would have been NT and quarantine at Howard Springs, then everyone go back to their home state.
Confirmation - it is at capacity

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...tine/100358058

2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #13533
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Out of curiosity, if we did move to a home quarantine model for fully vaccinated returning citizens with their own, exclusive and freestanding, dwelling - and adopted Corrections style ankle monitors… What's the real world resolution of those devices - 2m, 5m, 25m?
Old 12-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #13534
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Out of curiosity, if we did move to a home quarantine model for fully vaccinated returning citizens with their own, exclusive and freestanding, dwelling - and adopted Corrections style ankle monitors… What's the real world resolution of those devices - 2m, 5m, 25m?
Do you think they will actually issue ankle style monitors for home quarrantine? I would have thought they would stick to the present monitoring system; phone calls with the odd home visit for compliance.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #13535
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Do you think they will actually issue ankle style monitors for home quarrantine? I would have thought they would stick to the present monitoring system; phone calls with the odd home visit for compliance.
In Sydney that softer option would be tantamount to “Game On!”. :-/
Old 12-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #13536
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Any GPS device can struggle indoors when there is no direct line of sight. We see some 20-50 meter errors on individual pings when under awnings or indoors, but good accuracy when outdoors (<5mt errors. CBD streets in amongst the tall buildings can be problematic too). You would just run some error reducing software, multiple pings outside of a certain geofence in a certain timeframe to create an alarm.

Due to this people would be able to skip outside for a few minutes, but not far from their door. This in itself would not be a failure in the system. You would not be able to go to the Hungry Jacks drivethru or the local shops before triggering an alarm. You would have to trade off some accuracy for prevention of false alarms, they would be a nightmare.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #13537
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
our truck gps's when stationary are no more than a 5mtr deviation unless malfunctioning , even things like this need upkeep maintenance
when in transit it may differ due to satellite updating the locations position and speed the vehicles traveling

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #13538
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It does sound a viable option to cover quite a lot of people and situations.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #13539
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If returning numbers go up, especially to the level they'd be if our borders opened again, there would be a lot more police (and ADF resources) needed, probably beyond what they could provide.

So as orwellian as an ankle monitor or similar sounds, id prefer to go through that to prove im home for two weeks, versus the closed borders we have now.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #13540
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
That would have been a condition of agreement when you signed up to when taking employment which I understand but for companies to introduce this in your work place and to force on to you is another matter.
Yeah?...as I said i was a contractor, this particular firm engaged me as a contractor for decades and one day said do this...if you want to keep working here.

Largest construction company in Australia at the time...plenty of union action.
I recall the unions agreeing as long as the company paid for it all, as they should....it's a workplace safety issue.

Don't like it? Centrelink for you...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #13541
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 12-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #13542
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I have a WorkSafe Inspector coming in later, would you like to ask him something?
YESS!!

Ask him kindly if someone was to get very sick or heaven forbid, die from blood clots after having a mandatory Covid Jab, would they be covered by workers compensation in the same manner as an employee who died on the job?
5 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #13543
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
If returning numbers go up, especially to the level they'd be if our borders opened again, there would be a lot more police (and ADF resources) needed, probably beyond what they could provide.

So as orwellian as an ankle monitor or similar sounds, id prefer to go through that to prove im home for two weeks, versus the closed borders we have now.
the only thing i see with this is
that could be a lot of monitors at a large expense for a some what short period with not much ongoing use after

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 12-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #13544
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

The ACT will go into lockdown for seven days from 5:00pm
The territory recorded one positive case of COVID-19.

The government says the confirmed case was infectious whilst in the community.

It had previously been 105 days since the last case in the ACT — a diplomat in quarantine — and over a year since the last locally acquired case.

The ACT Chief Minister has called an urgent COVID-19 press conference for 12:15pm. He will be joined by the ACT's Chief Health Officer and the ACT Chief Police Officer.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #13545
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 11th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

365 new cases for Australia and 2 deaths so the CMR is 2.528%.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.895%.

The UK had a higher 29,260 cases yesterday and lower 104 deaths for a CMR of 2.125%.

A higher 119,807 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 1,017 deaths sees CMR at 1.720%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 204M, the last 1M in 2 days;
The USA passes 37M cases;

Iceland (187);
South Korea (2,219);
Guatemala (4,618); and
Iran (42,541)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

France, Ghana and Azerbaijan move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and the United Kingdom drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #13546
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
the only thing i see with this is
that could be a lot of monitors at a large expense for a some what short period with not much ongoing use after
I’d assume people contributed to their cost, as they already do with hotel transmission quarantine. Given the durability of these devices, they should be recyclable for another person. I’d also half expect the government to “forget” to remove the ankle bracelets of certain people until it suited them, prolonging the legally enforceable situation of confinement.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #13547
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Speaking of which, the Ute Muster hasn’t been cancelled yet - but participating vehicles are surely going to be measured in the tens, not the hundreds or more?
Just heard on the radio that it has now been cancelled.

Confirmed here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #13548
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two Sydney women arrived at Melb airport last night....without valid permit....both later tested positive. Fortunately they were caught and sent to hotel quarantine whilst at the airport. $5000 fine doesn't seem enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post

Some countries have used tamper proof GPS wrist bands to varying degree of success. I think there were a couple of cases where people found a way to get them off, and back on again. I'm sure technology can progress to improve. Full on ankle bracelets seems a bit extreme. The added benefit of a wrist band is that it is more visible, and people are less likely to flout the rules, e.g. go shopping, for the risk of being seen.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #13549
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Any GPS device can struggle indoors when there is no direct line of sight. We see some 20-50 meter errors on individual pings when under awnings or indoors, but good accuracy when outdoors (<5mt errors. CBD streets in amongst the tall buildings can be problematic too). You would just run some error reducing software, multiple pings outside of a certain geofence in a certain timeframe to create an alarm.

Due to this people would be able to skip outside for a few minutes, but not far from their door. This in itself would not be a failure in the system. You would not be able to go to the Hungry Jacks drivethru or the local shops before triggering an alarm. You would have to trade off some accuracy for prevention of false alarms, they would be a nightmare.
Just asked the missus (ex AFP/WAPOL) about this and she said when she was involved in this area that most home detention electronic tagging did not use GPS but relied on radio frequency, the radio frequency tag transmits a signal to a monitoring unit installed in their home or other designated location and works on a set distance from the monitor for alerts.

GPS tagging and tracking was normally reserved for individuals that have restrictions around locations linked to offending patterns, (think podophiles and schools) restricted areas are programmed into the system which act as exclusion zones, the system utilises the mobile network to transmit alerts to the monitoring authorities when the wearer is nearing one of these locations.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #13550
zilo
BANNED

We need an implant under the skin...

or a proximity sensing device...

or a bar code tattooed on the foreskin oops I meant forehead.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #13551
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
We need an implant under the skin...
That comes free with the second jab.....

4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #13552
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Just asked the missus (ex AFP/WAPOL) about this and she said when she was involved in this area that most home detention electronic tagging did not use GPS but relied on radio frequency, the radio frequency tag transmits a signal to a monitoring unit installed in their home or other designated location and works on a set distance from the monitor for alerts.

GPS tagging and tracking was normally reserved for individuals that have restrictions around locations linked to offending patterns, (think podophiles and schools) restricted areas are programmed into the system which act as exclusion zones, the system utilises the mobile network to transmit alerts to the monitoring authorities when the wearer is nearing one of these locations.
Much more reliable, however if we are going to have thousands of these on and off each month the need to install a base station becomes problematic. I think the ease of GPS would outweigh the limitations of the tech. Most people would just conform, only a few would go all Lex Luthor on it.

Given out at the airport, you can set the geofence radius when given out, track them home. I would then get them to return it on day 13, return point can be a testing station, back home and if you get your neg result next day you are free.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #13553
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Much more reliable, however if we are going to have thousands of these on and off each month the need to install a base station becomes problematic. I think the ease of GPS would outweigh the limitations of the tech. Most people would just conform, only a few would go all Lex Luthor on it.

Given out at the airport, you can set the geofence radius when given out, track them home. I would then get them to return it on day 13, return point can be a testing station, back home and if you get your neg result next day you are free.

Yeah...but they offend anyway..it just gets reported.
''Sorry you got raped, but we caught him.'''

much better to have an inbuilt 5000volt device to zap them on the neck if they get too far away from a base......we had one for the dog...worked great.

You can get them for cows too...saves on fencing outback....invisible line to not cross..

It's a win,win,win for the community...

Old 12-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #13554
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Florida seems to be following a not dissimilar pattern to the UK with their CMR at 0.451% which is close to the 0.446% we saw in the UK with 60% having received at least one jab and 50% two (the UK is much higher at 89% with at least one dose).

What is clear from both is that the infection rates aren't going down now that they have opened up under the vaccine umbrella although the crude mortality rates are going down albeit not anywhere near enough.

Florida is having record case numbers and a 19.6k cases / day average from their 16.7M adult population or about 117 cases / 100k.

The UK is averaging 29k cases / day from their 52M adult population or 56 cases / 100k although the case numbers are improving slowly.

Either way, the CMR will need to fall well below the current ~0.4% before mortalities will approach acceptable levels given that:

1. The current case rate for the UK would still result in 10M cases and 42k deaths per annum which is a fair bit higher than the 19k annual deaths from Influenza and Pneumonia recorded in 2019.

That's 82 deaths / 100k of adult population which compares favourably with the current COVID figure of 192/100k and with the current leading cause of death (Alzheimer/Dementia) at 98.8/100k but is more than double the 33.8/100k from Influenza and Pneumonia and > 25x the rate for road fatalities at 3.16

2. The current case rate for Florida would see 7M cases and 32k deaths or about 154 deaths / 100k of total population. That compares with 6.7/100k from homicide, 14/100k from road accidents, 25.5/100k from drug overdose and the ~177/100k from COVID19 thus far.

Obviously, those case rates shouldn't be sustainable in the mid terms so those numbers are very much a worst case scenario.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #13555
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Hunter and Newcastle going into week 2 of lockdown.

My wife told me yesterday shopping there was an edge in the air.

Lately I have been doing not much exercise- bit of a funk- and decided to push myself this morning to go for a 30 km ride. Lockdown and I thought it should be low traffic volumes....

Because I have not cycled for +/- 5 months I decided to take extra care, drive to a Speers Point Park to cycle from as a start point to minimize traffic, and decided on doing a loop that about 22 km was in the country on a winding loop 80km country roads.

Lit myself up, and despite taking every care I could to reduce risk as I was a bit nervous, still managed to be abused by a 60 year old harridan for daring to pull over the side of a quiet road to turn on a rear light before going into a major roadway (apparently too close to an intersection with a small road).

Then along dual lane main road, the road split into 1 additional lane turning right only and controlled by lights, I arrived first, pulled over to left edge of right turn lane to not block cars turning right, and moved up to the edge of the marker line at the lights.

I was then abused waiting at the lights by an unfit ruddy faced angry 55 year old odd muppet who was going through the intersection cutting across my front, my crime- for stopping too close to the line.

Very interesting, never been abused for strategic positioning/stopping to turn on safety gear before.

Anyone else experiencing tension/stress/anxiety/anger in the community due to lockdowns and this awful virus?

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 12-08-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #13556
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-b1900198.html

Herd immunity is “not a possibility” due to the prevalence of the Delta variant, a scientist behind the Oxford vaccine has warned, amid signs that the UK’s recent fall in Covid cases and hospital admissions is stagnating.

Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, said there is likely to be some “bumpiness” in transmission and “uncertainty of what happens next over the next six months”, with scientists expecting a rise in cases ahead of winter as the weather worsens and people spend more time inside.

And because of mounting evidence that the highly transmissible Delta variant can infect those who have been vaccinated, it’s unlikely that herd immunity will ever be reached, said Sir Andrew, meaning infections will continue to bubble away throughout the population – as now appears to be the case.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #13557
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Lately I have been doing not much exercise- bit of a funk- and decided to push myself this morning to go for a 40 km ride.
Umm, if you're in lockdown aren't you supposed to be staying home?
Old 12-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #13558
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-b1900198.html

And because of mounting evidence that the highly transmissible Delta variant can infect those who have been vaccinated, it’s unlikely that herd immunity will ever be reached, said Sir Andrew, meaning infections will continue to bubble away throughout the population – as now appears to be the case.
This crappy Covid disease will just be a new horrible "flu" that we will be in a constant fight to develop new vaccines continually to combat new strains each year.

All we can hope for are good vaccines and development of medicines that are used to arrest the disease in infected people, and there have been some developments on that front.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 12-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #13559
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Umm, if you're in lockdown aren't you supposed to be staying home?
Can go out for exercise, critical to keep ones mind sane, and body strong

3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #13560
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Can go out for exercise, critical to keep ones mind sane, and body strong
You're not limited to staying within a certain radius from home? Or was your 40km all completed within that radius?

My running partner indicated that Strava shares showed people were regularly going outside of the 5km radius we were restricted to during lockdown. I wonder if the authorities can get access to that to have a quiet talk to those who are pushing the friendship?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Closed Thread