Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #14251
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

I’m intrigued by the comparatively low numbers of Covid tests in Victoria vs the numbers of tests in NSW. Is it a resourcing difference, or where they’re being conducted, or differing social motivations?
Old 29-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #14252
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
NSW really kicking own goals today.
Yep, the wrong goals. Records for testing and jabs, not so bad, but the hatrick being cases... It almost baffles me with community transmission, nothings open. Is the supermarket now the local hangout? It doesnt defy logic per say as the current strain is proven to be more agressive and easier to transmit, but still.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #14253
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
I’m intrigued by the comparatively low numbers of Covid tests in Victoria vs the numbers of tests in NSW. Is it a resourcing difference, or where they’re being conducted, or differing social motivations?
I think that it's more related to their being less hotspots currently (and some of those bing less popualated as well) but I'd expect to see testing numbers increase as case numbers do. At the moment they are running about half those of NSW although it was 51,000 yesterday.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 29-08-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 29-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #14254
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Dont forget the mandated testing in LGA's for essential workers.

Old 29-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #14255
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
He's 81 years old?...you talk like he's a burden on you 24/7, he's just a lonely old man who does not understand what's happening with covid, cut him some slack eh
He's not lonely, he just doesn't want to be with her indoors (literally). Mostly because she tells him things he doesn't want to hear, like to leave me alone! Quote: "She's always telling me to just let you go about your business."

But even as I wrote my post, I knew there would be people reading on this forum that would see it in themselves and not like what it said.

Cheer up Billy, here's a picture of me..

4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #14256
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Cheer up Billy, here's a picture of me..

According to this photo, this is you !

Old 29-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #14257
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Heard Jeroen say in the presser today that we now have an active case out in the east of the state, in Traralgon. He mentioned that the person contracted the virus at a funeral in Melbourne and that exposure in the community since the funeral has been minimal.

I'm hoping this doesn't become the next regional cluster.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 29-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #14258
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Remember to always wear your mask when outside..

2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #14259
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

‘Nothing in our studies ever prepared us for this’: A nurse on Sydney’s frontline tells it like it is

https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...27-p58mha.html

Fitz: You sound angry at the lack of resources?

Rosentreter: We are. We have been trying to warn the government for a year. We need more nurses! They boast about the ventilators they’ve now got, but ventilators without nurses are useless. And in recent times we have lost a lot of highly trained nurses to working in the vaccination hubs. Those hubs are important, but the actual vaccinations don’t require the high level of skills that a lot of those nurses have. We need them back.

Fitz: Given how tightly stretched you all are, is it hard to see commentators and politicians say “COVID is no worse than a bad flu”?

Rosentreter: I am super cranky. We all are. People who say that simply have no idea. And there is no excuse for them saying that. How can they? We discuss them with disbelief. Beyond that, we feel disrespected. We are working around the clock to keep people alive, and they are comparing it to the flu?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 03:21 PM   #14260
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Remember to always wear your mask when outside..

I thought you were a hair farmer, as we said in the eighties? That picture looks more like Scott from Vehcor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3
…Those hubs are important, but the actual vaccinations don’t require the high level of skills that a lot of those nurses have. We need them back.
I absolutely believe in this; why not enlist more pharmacies, vets (with a pet booking)?
4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #14261
JasonACT
Away on leave

Unsurprisingly, I don't look much (if anything) like Jason Statham:

(Wouldn't complain if I did though.)
Old 29-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #14262
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

I absolutely believe in this; why not enlist more pharmacies, vets (with a pet booking)?
It's not hard at all, if i can do it anyone can

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 29-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #14263
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
It's a simple case of...If you want to get your numbers down...do less testing..

Hmmm...where have I heard that before?

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #14264
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are soon coming up to nearly 2 years on this virus and there is no official standard on masks.
I would guarantee half the problem is that most of the ones people are using are useless and ineffective.

5 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #14265
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It's a simple case of...If you want to get your numbers down...do less testing..

Hmmm...where have I heard that before?
Yep simple.......but totally wrong, and can be disproved with facts and stats as usual. It was Vics busiest testing week yet with over 50,000 tests every day for the last 5 days.

NSW is just having a lot more close contacts, a lot more symptomatic people to test, plus a huge number of essential workers having to be tested just to work, even if they have no other reason to be tested. This will drop off in a big way when the vaccination requirements come into force on the 30th.

Old 29-08-2021, 09:06 PM   #14266
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
We are soon coming up to nearly 2 years on this virus and there is no official standard on masks.
I would guarantee half the problem is that most of the ones people are using are useless and ineffective.
I mean, would it matter if there was a 'standard'? People would still refuse to wear them, they would claim that it was just more 'flip-flopping' on the stance of wearing masks (see: the The WHO originally didn't want people wearing masks argument).
Besides, I feel like the use of masks isn't necessary to create an impervious barrier between your mouth and nose and the killer virus than it is to just create a restrictive path from one person's face holes to another's.

In other words, it stops knuckle-draggers who don't know how to swallow from spitting all over you as they talk. We're not exactly aiming for surgery theatre levels of sanitation here.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2021, 11:09 PM   #14267
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rang hotline today as we have secured a construction project in an aged care facility and will shortly start doing site measures, figured I'd get a reserve appointment no problem. No Bueno, do not qualify. Near 2 month wait.
What a ******* joke.
Old 30-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #14268
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The “2km from home” map developers have added NSW LGAs to their map.

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91
…Near 2 month wait. What a …joke.
I’m sorry it’s such a nationally divisive vaccination campaign. To be in a city pumping out the shots while other parts of Australia literally have weeks to wait - it’s not a good look.
Old 30-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #14269
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be proactive, ring your gp and others, and also try the pharmacist.
I also had a 2 month wait through the government, tried my gp and got in within a week.
I am now full vaxxed. (Pfizer)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
5 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #14270
slowsnake
Banned

Being proactive is fine, but there are some limitations you have to allow for, like hitting a brick wall at every turn, not your fault, like GP'S who care but don't know what to do, or can't get vaccine, some folk have a cruise through life others don't, you know I bet you that some folk on this forum don't know what "proactive" means!

I have never liked the term "knuckle draggers" to describe someone different to you or me, I know what it means but the knuckle dragger is oblivious to the put down.
But sadly they do exist, they just need educating, hard I know, but not everyone is as smart as the rest of us, I just hope this virus is fair to everyone, not selective to the rich or poor, seems certain stars of the screen get special privileges, sports stars too!

Hooroo, hoorah and hooray.......

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 30-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 30-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #14271
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Could we - Australia - please have just a week where we say something other than “stay safe” to one another as a salutation on parting?
5 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #14272
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Could we - Australia - please have just a week where we say something other than “stay safe” to one another as a salutation on parting?
Good luck kent?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #14273
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
" may the fleas from a thousand camels, find a resting place in your underpants "

Cheers Itchy brother!
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #14274
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yep simple.......but totally wrong, and can be disproved with facts and stats as usual. .
Go ahead...

show me your facts and stats "as usual" that make the statement that, reducing testing numbers reduce the number of cases found, incorrect.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying you are wrong to say the statement is wrong which in my book makes you wrong.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 30-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #14275
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Go ahead...

show me your facts and stats "as usual" that make the statement that, reducing testing numbers reduce the number of cases found, incorrect.

Not saying I agree with it, just saying you are wrong to say the statement is wrong which in my book makes you wrong.
I was wondering about this too

If they are asking everyone in a LGA to be tested then they would get a specific rate of positive cases

If they are asking people with symptoms to get tested then they would get a different rate of positive cases, wouldn't they? Because previously people who were feeling fine would be tested and now it's only people who would feel sick
Old 30-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #14276
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d wondered about trying to “sweep” some of the Sydney areas of concern by asking people to get tested per sets of numerical addresses, eg if you lived in Fairfield and your residential address ended in 1 or 6, you ideally got tested. Not mandatory, but socially encouraged.
Old 30-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #14277
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Go ahead...

They are not reducing the tests in VIC, they are doing more than ever.

So your statement, while rhetorical and obviously correct in isolation by itself, is totally misleading and not relevant at all in the comment you are replying it to.

But I am sure your are already aware of this.

Old 30-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #14278
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 29th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,305 new cases for Australia and 6 deaths so the CMR is 1.950%. NSW set a new record with 1,221 cases and the total is also a new record for Australia.

84 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.751%.

The UK had a higher 32,937 cases yesterday and lower 61 deaths for a CMR of 1.967%.

A lower 83,621 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 672 deaths sees CMR at 1.651%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)

Global cases pass 217M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Australia passes 50,000 cases;
Europe passes 55M cases;
Asia drops below the 90th percentile for the 10 day period;

Jamaica (929);
Australia (1,305); and
Sir Lanka (4,612)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Indonesia drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #14279
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Michael Conrad from Hill St Blues:
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #14280
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

NSW reported a new record 1,290 cases so the 'actual' line remains above the predictive line and the 10-day average growth rate rises to 1.08 (up from 1.06).

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread