Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #121
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What do you do when being Tailgated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Haha yeah, what ****er needs 7 aerials?
Gymnasts? Would be a good routine.

Reminds me of the last few lines of the 'Carlton Cowboys' song D-Gen did back in the 80s:

With CB antenna's
About a half a dozen
We're looking like a porcupine, boys
But you will know the difference if we offer you a ride
'Cause the porcupine always has the pricks on the outside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CuBeJnFpl0

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 22-11-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #122
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I live close to you by the sounds of the roads described. That whole Norwest thing during peak hour is a f*#%ing nightmare and can you remember a time that it hasnt had roadworks going on, or ripping up another medium strip because some goose can't lay the proper drainage? (i know some people in that field) Have you seen the govt plans to turn Norwest into a business technology center? Massive hirise develoments, 3500 public servants to relocate to Norwest. Add in the apartment blocks going up every few kms and you can see why I am getting animated. No thought to the drain on the electric grid, the roads, schools, public transport etc etc. The govt just wants the tax dollars off land sales, they are not interested in updating the things I have mentioned.
I can remember riding all over the North Western burbs on my bike in the 70's was so quiet due to the oil embargos and gas shortages.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #123
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just let it be - they'll eventually realise I won't be going any faster, and move. Doesn't help that I drive the wife's pink Yaris..
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #124
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx View Post
Doesn't help that I drive the wife's pink Yaris..
Might help a lot.

Quite possibly the knuckledraggers sitting on your tail will think the yes vote means it's compulsory and give you a wide berth...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #125
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got home this morning, driving very slowly I might add, against the Parramatta bound Windsor Rd traffic. The #1 offence I saw was the telltale downcast eyes, occasionally darting up to watch the car in front's tail. Yes folks, the txting driver. I would safely bet 4 out of 10 were offenders & add a couple of make up artist's driving with their knee & the obligatory P plater with the cannon muffler who is more focused on his sound system or revving the motor as they pass any car that looks like a racer. This is really starting to give me the screaming sh*ts as my car not only means the world to me, but if some idiot rear ends me with even moderate force, my car will be written off. Its ok for these new car drivers who's value outstrips the repair costs, but it is curtains for anyone driving a car worth under, say $15000. I believe if the value of a drivers car is going to be an issue to repair due to the value/repair cost ratio and that person is NOT at fault, then the at fault driver should be responsible. Obviously this would never happen because insurance is business & businesses are profit based, not about a fair go for the victim. Damn shame that as I am not the only one who has received a cheque for a few thousand dollars for a car that's had $15k into it & countless hours of labour, after being the victim in an accident.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #126
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have wondered for a long time ,what would be the go if your non standard car got written off and you are not at fault,if you sue the other driver for the difference.If your car is written off the other parties Ins Co pay out on Red book or similar,which don,t consider anything other than standard.If your car is worth $15-20k but the Ins only pays $10k why shouldn,t you sue the at fault driver for the shortfall.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #127
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I have wondered for a long time ,what would be the go if your non standard car got written off and you are not at fault,if you sue the other driver for the difference.If your car is written off the other parties Ins Co pay out on Red book or similar,which don,t consider anything other than standard.If your car is worth $15-20k but the Ins only pays $10k why shouldn,t you sue the at fault driver for the shortfall.
Best of luck suing the other person, actually best of luck getting money out of people if they do not want to or have the means to pay you, It can cost you more with negative results.
You are better off having agreed value full comprehensive insurance to cover your pride and joy.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #128
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Why should they pay because you have skimped on insurance? If you feel your car is 'worth' more than the market price, then insure it accordingly.

Be careful what you wish for though. The at fault party might notice your car is modified and argue that it no longer complies with ADR's, and you walk away with nothing.

This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just putting it out there in general terms.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #129
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which is what I have. It is the ONLY way to avoid disappointment, assuming you don't void your policy with crazy behaviour.
Old 23-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #130
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Why should they pay because you have skimped on insurance? If you feel your car is 'worth' more than the market price, then insure it accordingly.

Be careful what you wish for though. The at fault party might notice your car is modified and argue that it no longer complies with ADR's, and you walk away with nothing.

This isn't directed at anyone specifically, just putting it out there in general terms.
I don't think he is saying anybody is skimping on insurance, more what I mentioned a few posts back.Look for the Rant sign. Regardless of what you think your car is worth, you will only get so much extra cover if you go through Shannons as eg, other wise the average insurance will give you red book value & some room to move a few dollars each way but your excess moves accordingly. There really is no protection against a car that has a low redbook value but tens of thousands put into it. Again, pay attention, leave a gap and no phones full stop. If everybody does that, we all stand a better chance of getting home how we left. Oh well. back to work .....
Old 23-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #131
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
You can sue but you will lose.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #132
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's more that people are checking their facebook feeds rather than texting. I see it every day, both ways. Some are blatantly on display - the phone fitted to a windscreen mount to the right of the instruments, and they reach forward & scroll.

Regarding the value of your car when it's not your fault, a work colleague here had a fairly unique car, insured for $25K. Got written off after being hit hard in the rear corner whilst parked. Redbook had it at $15K, so that's all the insurance company (from the offendor) offered him.

He threatened to put a claim in on his own (full comp) insurance, knowing full well they'd refund his excess as he wasn't at fault (he wasn't even in the car while it was parked).

It went back & forth a few more times until they came up with a deal to pay $21K and he would get to keep the car. The parts were worth more than $4K to him, so he went with that.

I think if you were offered $10K "book value" for a car that's really worth $15K, you'd be able to negotiate the payout figure up a bit. Remember, their first offer is only a starting point.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #133
FordsForever
Starter Motor

Call me a ***** but I don't mind giving a little sudden tap on the brakes. Makes them wake up that's for sure.
FordsForever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #134
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordsForever View Post
Call me a ***** but I don't mind giving a little sudden tap on the brakes. Makes them wake up that's for sure.
Í'd be lying through my teeth if I said I hadn't done that one a few times, just enough to activate the stop light switch as you said
Old 23-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #135
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why shouldn,t the at fault party pay the difference ???If it isn,t my fault my insurance shouldn,t even come into the debate.If I am at fault,and under insured then it is my problem, BUT if you run into me then it is YOUR problem to get me what my car is worth not what your Ins Co try to get away with
Old 23-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #136
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Why shouldn,t the at fault party pay the difference ???If it isn,t my fault my insurance shouldn,t even come into the debate.If I am at fault,and under insured then it is my problem, BUT if you run into me then it is YOUR problem to get me what my car is worth not what your Ins Co try to get away with
if a persons car isn't roadworthy (doesn't meet ADR's) then it doesn't matter if they are not at fault. It could be argued the car shouldn't be on the road.

Also, what a person thinks their car is worth, and what it is actually worth are two very different things, and often thousands of dollars apart.

Regardless, this is way off topic.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #137
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Your biggest problem is the insurance industry regulates what your car is worth, not what you paid for it, try argue that in a court of law and see what happens.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #138
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Your biggest problem is the insurance industry regulates what your car is worth, not what you paid for it, try argue that in a court of law and see what happens.
Forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this, but how would the insurance company value an original 60's or 70's GT or would they even touch it? Virtually standard say to keep it straight forward.
Old 23-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #139
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Forgive me if there is an obvious answer to this, but how would the insurance company value an original 60's or 70's GT or would they even touch it? Virtually standard say to keep it straight forward.
Market value or agreed value is what they would value it as. I have no idea what it is but probably a fair amount.
Old 23-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #140
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Market value or agreed value is what they would value it as. I have no idea what it is but probably a fair amount.
Just looked up Red book.XA GT auto sedan 48-61k. So I guess if you get run into that is the range the at fault Ins Co will pay
Old 23-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #141
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Feel free to start a new thread re insurance, but It would be nice if we could get back on topic now please.
Old 23-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #142
marty351
Shenanigans..............

What do I do when being tailgated?
I get out and start talking insurance.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #143
.:4:.
Kicking back

Steering back a degree, after my first job today I had the joys of taking the m5 to botany at 9am. Pretty much every bad driving offence was going on simultaneously on that on ramp. After the initial merge from 2 to 1 lane before the merge onto the freeway, I had some puppet drive up the breakdown lane and try push in. I seen it coming so I moved up on the car in front. Mind you max speeds were about 5kmh. He tried pushing but I wasn't having a bar of it. At the end of the day either way I'm not at fault, and whilst I don't try to crash it it's a work car so I don't really care about the car just my well being. Also hit me and works insurance will hit back harder with loss of income. I squeezed him out then magically with the use of an indicator (a rare site) a truck simply let me in coming onto the freeway and again squeezed out the car behind that was at that point just about attached to my towbar like a trailer. I don't give a crap how late someone else is running. There is road etiquette. My attitude is everyone is an a hole until proven otherwise. That's why I always aim to be 15 minutes early to work every day. If I hit traffic I'm still on time, I beat the traffic, and it's a much less stressful drive. I do my overtime starting early as opposed to staying back for similar reasons, and you don't miss out on life in the mornings but you do in the arvo.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post