Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #121
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
nothing better than sitting behind a 50cal and letting her rip.
Yeah sure..
Would be about as fun as a visit to the dentist for a root canal I reckon,or getting kicked in the chest by a brumby..

And before anyone arcs up,its perfectly legal..

Old 27-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #122
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
That's true, gun education is VERY important but imagine if Australian's were allowed to apply for concealed carry permits, the crime rate would be almost non-existent because everyone's packing heat, no robbery's, no mugging's, and best of all, you feel safe when you go out in the streets, if you look at the statistics in the US where gun control has been applied the crime rate actually went up instead of down!!
You're kidding right?

Let's ignore all the mass and serial shootings that take place on an almost regular basis then shall we. Really, if you're going to put forward a case in favour of widespread gun ownership you should stay well clear of using any country as an example where the basis of gun ownership is centred around a 231 year old constitutional amendment that was written and passed in a time of war....and where those that want the guns use this over the gutless politicians who refuse to make major changes.

Yes, I have firearms training....and no, I don't see a need for one. They were a tool to achieve an end result.....nothing more.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 27-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #123
nitroman
nitroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbs
What do we reckon about Brno bolt action .22s? Had a look at a couple of 2nd handies yesterday and they felt very nice, in good condition too, just under $400. I could go cheaper and get a new Stirling .22, looked alright but I think the Brno would be the way to go. Thoughts?
I've got one and love it, but you could probably buy a CZ (new brno) for not much more money. I'm stoked with the quality of my new CZ.223. I wouldn't touch a stirling after shooting a BRNO.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 27-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #124
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Nugget have you used one? you would be quite surprised with the lack of recoil it produces, 40mm grenade launcher gives more. nice pic to.
Old 27-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #125
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
Nugget have you used one? you would be quite surprised with the lack of recoil it produces, 40mm grenade launcher gives more. nice pic to.
No I havent myself,but have seen one fired,and I cant say I would use the word lack of recoil,
The muzzle blast is enough to stop chickens laying in the next shire,remember that recoil tolerance is different for all of us,my limit is about a 30-06 with heavy loads in a lightweight sporter,years ago I used 338 for big deer and I got sick of that quickly..
Old 27-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #126
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbs
What do we reckon about Brno bolt action22s? Had a look at a couple of 2nd handies yesterday and they felt very nice, in good condition too, just under $400. I could go cheaper and get a new Stirling .22, looked alright but I think the Brno would be the way to go. Thoughts?
Stirling are not in the same league as a CZ or Brno. Save yourself the grief and get the Brno first up.
Old 28-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #127
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by POD_66
[1] - 1917,303 enfield smle, hasn't everyone got one of these ?
POD_66
I couldn't believe it , when the Police came here for my "Cabinet Inspection" , the young Cop said " What's this , I haven't seen one of these before" ? . Now both Police were young , but I thought if they were in the Firearms Registry , they would have seen Heaps . Mines a 1908 model .

When I explained what it was , the Lady Cop said " Oh yea , I've seen them in movies but never a Real One "? . I think they must have been very new to the job , they were 4 months behind on Inspections .

I thought they'd be as rare as 2nd hand car tyres ...

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 28-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #128
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on where you are, In Qld the inspections are usually done by your local coppers not the firearms dept. Which could explain why they haven't seen one before. Also I don't have a 303 yet :

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

Old 28-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #129
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic inspections are done by the police. They used to send the DFO if they could but if not, someone on the van got lumbered with it.
303s are cheap, plentiful and fun .. get on with it
Old 28-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #130
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Yeah sure..
Would be about as fun as a visit to the dentist for a root canal I reckon,or getting kicked in the chest by a brumby..

And before anyone arcs up,its perfectly legal..

I thought it was technically .4999999999 CAL to meet the regulations.
Old 28-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #131
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
You're kidding right?

Let's ignore all the mass and serial shootings that take place on an almost regular basis then shall we.
1% of gun deaths are by serial murders. most the rest are 1 on1 kind of personal stuff. Also 1% of all deaths are probably by gun more people die from maccas.

No woman needs to protect herself from rape, assault or murder. The Police will protect women by investigating the crime after the fact. Remember, Police paperwork is all the protection anyone really needs.
Old 28-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #132
herbs

Sweet, I'll go the Brno once the I'm through all the licencing crapola, which takes longer than usual since holiday season is upon us. As for the .303, you've gotta have one don't ya? It's the Australian way.
Old 28-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #133
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
You're kidding right?

Let's ignore all the mass and serial shootings that take place on an almost regular basis then shall we.
Calm down, you're scaring the women and children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2or
1% of gun deaths are by serial murders. most the rest are 1 on1 kind of personal stuff. Also 1% of all deaths are probably by gun more people die from maccas.

No woman needs to protect herself from rape, assault or murder. The Police will protect women by investigating the crime after the fact. Remember, Police paperwork is all the protection anyone really needs.
1% of nothing seems to sum up your contribution.

Get it back on topic people. Guns, not law enforcement, morality, concealed feelings, heavy calibre hysteria or otherwise.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 28-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #134
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
,years ago I used 338 for big deer and I got sick of that quickly..
Now thats a gun! My 308 kicked enough.. mates 338 winny mag was a whole extra experience again!

Old 28-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #135
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
I'm not going to start quoting figures to you, as I'm not anti-firearm. I simply felt that the comment I quoted required more thought, that's all.

I won't hijack an innocent thread on recreational shooting, and turn it into a political platform.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 28-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #136
HLC
Audi S3

well i shot in my first IPSC comp last weekend at Bowral/Belanglo State Forest.

lol i won Junior Production Division haha good fun. cant wait til the next comp.

lot to learn though. its all well and good that i blitz everyone at the range i work at, but now im playing with the big boys.
Old 28-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #137
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
I thought it was technically .4999999999 CAL to meet the regulations.
What regulations are you on about?

I just miked it,and its a good 1/2" at least
Its only a dud you can buy at many camping shops,its an ex military fired shell with a projectile re-seated.
Old 28-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #138
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
What regulations are you on about?

I just miked it,and its a good 1/2" at least
Its only a dud you can buy at many camping shops,its an ex military fired shell with a projectile re-seated.
the guy was making a joke lol.

yeah its a .50cal and yeah most people just whack a new proj. in there and yeah thats all it is.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #139
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

yes i can't think of anything safer that a bunch of drunk Chicks out clubbing all carrying .38's to protect them self, cause **** , emotions and hestira and the 3 fundamentals of for Gun safety, and let's see how it pans out when the bad guy has a .45 pointing right back at ya, I predict bad things happening.

You clearly need more exspirance with firearms by some of you comments , take it from someone who has had a Loaded rifle pointed at them point blank, Had a Bullet whiz past them and had a cousin Killed in a shooting accident ( and i shouldn't say accident, cause there are no accidents with guns) You make a mistake and you only make it once. Gun's are dangerous in a controlled situation, when being safe and clear headed, It only takes a split second remember you only *** up once with firearms.

What do you do if somebody hands you a rifle?
Old 28-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #140
WAXBFAR

reply on lovely BSA rifle.
Sorry, but the Mauser of 1896 and the followup production of the Carl Gustaf Mausers are indeed a very good and accurate gun.
6.5-55 caliber
Old 28-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #141
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

You are all arguing over illegal use of firearms. You cannot carry firearms in public
Target Shooting is one of the safest sports there is. There are far more deaths and major injuries in main stream sports like all football codes, swimming, horseriding, netball etc.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #142
WAXBFAR

ever heard of Private propperty, like a farm??

How many death on Australian Publik roads so far this year?? by motorvehicles due to all sorts a stupid issues?
Old 28-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #143
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXBFAR
Sorry, but the Mauser of 1896 and the followup production of the Carl Gustaf Mausers are indeed a very good and accurate gun.
6.5-55 caliber

Yeah my mate has one of these his was made by Huskvana i think, Nice rifle too and packs a punch.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #144
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

I was referring to the posts condoning concealed carry
Old 28-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #145
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXBFAR
6.5-55 caliber
I'll second that. For a rifle more than 100 years old they are fantastic. I used one as a rabbit rifle from many moons ( yeah, overkill I know but it was accurate enough, a 29 inch barrel will do that ). I nearly cried when I finally wore in out and it wasn't cost effective to fix it. I found another one later but left it standard.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #146
WAXBFAR

I think that any frank conversation re Firearms in the publik domain will not flourish.
The publik perception and hence view of firearms is very bad.
Owning up to having (legal) firearms is to dangerous.
even having ammo outside your firearms registry is prohibited and will cause Huge ramifications, I.E. confiscation of all firearms without compensation plus a hefty fine!
just my oppinion.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #147
Pup_87
BA Wagon

I'm a target shooter, i shoot long range targets ie: 300m to 900m. As far as i know there has never been a person killed or srsly maimed on a rifle range. I share this sport with both my grandfather and father.

Anyour out there who hasnt tried it its worth it.
So what you are asking is if you have an automatic licence even if it is upgraded to manual automatically can it be upgraded manually by sitting for a manual test and if passed the automatic licence is automatically upgraded but if failed is the automaic licence automatically failed as well and do you have to read the road safety manual to sit for the manual upgrade or does the automatic licence test of the road safety manual automatically cover the manual test as well?
Old 28-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #148
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
You check to see that it is clear. Treat EVER firearm as it is loaded. NEVER take anyones word of it!

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

Old 28-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #149
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
You check to see that it is clear. Treat EVER firearm as it is loaded. NEVER take anyones word of it!

Just wanted to see if anyone sied check the safty

so ****ing A+, mate

Even the Cop asked my why I answered that and not check to see the safety is on, when i did my License application a few years ago. I said mate cause the safety means sweet F all, it mechanical and it can fail, i want to see with my eyes that the chamber is empty before i do anything, and even if it is empty it is still handled as if it were loaded.
Old 28-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #150
la2or
Your Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X

1. point in safe direction
2. check no bullets in chamber.

Take magazine out. look in chamber. some people say put your finger in to check not sure whether that is good or not. Work the action to make sure no more ammo pops out.

dont go straight to 2 in case you point it at him because u werent concentrating.

Even if the rifle goes off for whatever reason it will go into the open field or down range whatever safe direction you chose.
Closed Thread