Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #121
briank

I went cold turkey on anzac day this year, after 50 years a smoker. still going strong. my hardest is when having a beer. Good luck to all who have tried to give up and those who have given up. hang in there guys.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #122
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
I have been told to keep on them till theend as if you dont there is a 60% chance of taking the cigies back up

I certainly dont want to do that

Jason
Jason,that is so true,i had quit smoking for 13 years untill recently i went for a trip over to Europe and started again,and after a year of smoking again i have now quit for around 6 weeks.But interestingly the second time round was very easy to give up.I found going cold turkey is the way to go.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #123
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well I discovered why people don't drink when they're trying to quit, had 3 smokes while out at a friend birthday, thoroughly lit mind you, 9% aged beers and JD didn't help.

Next morning I felt like death, mouth had the horrible taste, kind of like when you syphon fuel from a car, just dry and clamy and nasty. Nearly threw up at work yet wasn't feeling hung over, strange how much difference ciggys make when you don't smoke for a while :S Now cravings are back with avengence! Little b*stards!

Strange thing was, I didn't get anything out of smoking, which annoyed me, firstly because it wasn't satisfying at all, and secondly that I'd had them in the first place, as now I can only say "I had my last smoke 24 hours ago" and im back to square one.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #124
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank
I went cold turkey on anzac day this year, after 50 years a smoker. still going strong. my hardest is when having a beer. Good luck to all who have tried to give up and those who have given up. hang in there guys.
Good work. 50 years is a lot of smoking. I'm not that far off you. 40 years. It's a lifetime's work eh? It's no joke starting what's basically a new life over, I feel. But it feels damn good! No beer for me just occasional shiraz, but good daily coffee! Everyone has their custom coping methods I guess. Good on you!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #125
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I'm 23 and have been smoking for 5 years. It's a "don't talk about it" situation with the family.
I've been wanting to do this for the last couple of weeks, since it got to over a pack a day (and a few health issues) but always get caught up. Have a drink and a smoke or mates come round, have a smoke etc... i have some questions though.

Does everyone else chuck out the remaining pack, give up drinking (my second most expensive vice) and everything related to the ol' cancer stick? or just sheer will power to not see it?
How does stress/nerves play into it? i start a new job in a couple of days and dont want to be a complete *****..
What do you do in the times when you just smoke without thinking? for me it's driving into town, having a drink and the only one that feels good, the first on in the morning.

I'm thinking about buying a pack tomorrow, and sitting it on the bench. willpower and all that. or is hiding all the stuff better?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #126
Skotty
Banned

I was getting all geared up to quit... had cut back big time... Now I'm worse than ever, doing a diploma course and everyone in my class bar 2 people smoke.... so I go outside during brakes to be socialble.. and BAM!
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #127
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
I'm 23 and have been smoking for 5 years. It's a "don't talk about it" situation with the family.
I've been wanting to do this for the last couple of weeks, since it got to over a pack a day (and a few health issues) but always get caught up. Have a drink and a smoke or mates come round, have a smoke etc... i have some questions though.

Does everyone else chuck out the remaining pack, give up drinking (my second most expensive vice) and everything related to the ol' cancer stick? or just sheer will power to not see it?
How does stress/nerves play into it? i start a new job in a couple of days and dont want to be a complete *****..
What do you do in the times when you just smoke without thinking? for me it's driving into town, having a drink and the only one that feels good, the first on in the morning.

I'm thinking about buying a pack tomorrow, and sitting it on the bench. willpower and all that. or is hiding all the stuff better?
speek to your doctor

ask him/her about champix i have just finished the course and hate the smell of a cigy atm

i havnt touched one for 3-4 months now and loving it

I have to loose a tad bit of wheight now ( 90kg and ) have the appertite to go with it

i love the food big time now

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #128
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]

Wow a lot of questions there.
You have been smoking for just 5 years and because you are so young, the reward of giving up is incredibly great for you right now. You will not only save thousands over a life time but you will have the real benefits of moving through your 40's 50's and 60's without the burden of smoking for the past 20 -30 - 40 or even 50 years tacked on as well. This thought was one of many motivating factors I used to my advantage to stay on track when I gave up smoking as well.

I gave up at 26 (while I was still young) after 10 years of smoking and I am now 46, so I have now quit for just over twice as long as when I smoked. I estimate that I smoked about 20 a day for ten years which equals approximately 7,300 smokes a year or a staggering 73, 000 in the pursing 10 years of my life. If I kept up that pace, then I could have potentially smoked a further 146,000 cigs bringing my total to 219,000, or perhaps even closing in on a quarter of a million by now, who knows. I started smoking when a pack of Winfield 25's (on ya Hogue's) were around $0.80 a pack and gave up at or around $2.62 a pack. How much are they now? How much have I inadvertently saved over the next 2 decades?

Now take a moment for your self to calculate how many you have smoked in your life time so far. Just think at your current rate, how many will you potentially smoke over the next decade or over the next 20 or even thirty years of your life. Is this enough alone to want to give up? Maybe? You need to ask yourself, what do you want to get out of quiting smoking? Is it to save money? Is it save your health? Also why is it unspoken about at home?

Maybe it would be beneficial for you to write up here your objectives for all to see but most importantly for you to revisit at times of weakness. This way people may be able to respond in a positive way to your thoughts as well.

Any time for quitting smoking is the right time but you have the added benefit of enjoying the majority of you adulthood smoke free if you decided to quit today. This alone should be a huge driving factor for you.

In the end you will get advice about giving up from everyone, some good and some not so good so you will have to work through what works for you but at the end of the day, if you take ownership of the difficulties of giving up you will have a stronger chance of success but if you look for excuses or wait for someone else to do it for you, then you will fail.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #129
max
LWBforME

Just decide that you will be a non-smoker as of tomorrow, and just do it. Get rid of all the reminders, trappings etc. YOU will be the winner. REMIND YOURSELF constantly why you are doing it and how great it is. WILLPOWER will get you through the process of breaking the cycle.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #130
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Just decide that you will be a non-smoker as of tomorrow, and just do it. Get rid of all the reminders, trappings etc. YOU will be the winner. REMIND YOURSELF constantly why you are doing it and how great it is. WILLPOWER will get you through the process of breaking the cycle.
It's been nearly 18 months off the smokes for me and while 95% of the time I don't even think about them the other 5% I'd kill for one.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #131
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Wow a lot of questions there.
You have been smoking for just 5 years and because you are so young, the reward of giving up is incredibly great for you right now. You will not only save thousands over a life time but you will have the real benefits of moving through your 40's 50's and 60's without the burden of smoking for the past 20 -30 - 40 or even 50 years tacked on as well. This thought was one of many motivating factors I used to my advantage to stay on track when I gave up smoking as well.

I gave up at 26 (while I was still young) after 10 years of smoking and I am now 46, so I have now quit for just over twice as long as when I smoked. I estimate that I smoked about 20 a day for ten years which equals approximately 7,300 smokes a year or a staggering 73, 000 in the pursing 10 years of my life. If I kept up that pace, then I could have potentially smoked a further 146,000 cigs bringing my total to 219,000, or perhaps even closing in on a quarter of a million by now, who knows. I started smoking when a pack of Winfield 25's (on ya Hogue's) were around $0.80 a pack and gave up at or around $2.62 a pack. How much are they now? How much have I inadvertently saved over the next 2 decades?

Now take a moment for your self to calculate how many you have smoked in your life time so far. Just think at your current rate, how many will you potentially smoke over the next decade or over the next 20 or even thirty years of your life. Is this enough alone to want to give up? Maybe? You need to ask yourself, what do you want to get out of quiting smoking? Is it to save money? Is it save your health? Also why is it unspoken about at home?

Maybe it would be beneficial for you to write up here your objectives for all to see but most importantly for you to revisit at times of weakness. This way people may be able to respond in a positive way to your thoughts as well.

Any time for quitting smoking is the right time but you have the added benefit of enjoying the majority of you adulthood smoke free if you decided to quit today. This alone should be a huge driving factor for you.

In the end you will get advice about giving up from everyone, some good and some not so good so you will have to work through what works for you but at the end of the day, if you take ownership of the difficulties of giving up you will have a stronger chance of success but if you look for excuses or wait for someone else to do it for you, then you will fail.

Bud Bud
I agree that i may not be as seasoned as most, i mean my grandparents have been smoking for 60 years. They will die with a cigarette.
I've printed out this reply so i can look at it whenever, as motivation i guess.

It's hour 11 smoke free and i'm climbing the walls, the good thing is that my best mate said he'd quit too. But he's got 10 years on me.

Thanks heaps Bud Bud. And [Jason98.EL].

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #132
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
It's been nearly 18 months off the smokes for me and while 95% of the time I don't even think about them the other 5% I'd kill for one.
I know what you mean! And I'm only 3 months! Gotta keep up that WILLPOWER!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #133
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tonko just remember it gets easier every day

keep focused on the fact you will be totally smoke free soon

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #134
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Good job. Your current position would best describe my circumstance at the same point as you are now when I gave up too. The good news is over the next 12 months or so the last 5% should also slowly dissipate as well. I can clearly remember a time after working on a car and after three hrs I finally finished, turned the key to start it and the car fired up. The next thing I thought of was having a smoke. I then realised it was just a memory and not a craving. This was around my 24th - 27th month interval and to me it was like a revelation. It signalled to me that it was the first time after quitting that I now knew I was now in total control.

Bud Bud
Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #135
max
LWBforME

Quote:
tonko just remember it gets easier every day

keep focused on the fact you will be totally smoke free soon

Jason
Absolutely right, it does get easier every day. And on top of that it feels so good to be free! Also, the money saved is amazing!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #136
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Absolutely right, it does get easier every day. And on top of that it feels so good to be free! Also, the money saved is amazing!
I dont look at the money side

I look at the thought I will be around for my kids and be able to enjoy them

I look at the way i feel now and the way i can smell things i couldnt before

I look at the way i have gained 15 kilo

I look at the way i can now taste the food I eat

I look at the many years ahead of me able to enjoy knowing the cigies are not part of it

thats about it i think

As i remember things I'll post them I do remember more every day

Oh one more thing

I cant stand being around people that smoke ( no offence to those that smoke ) it makes me feel sick but that is just me

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #137
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well after a lot of support from the guys on here I'm nearly back to a week smoke free (had a little slip up when drinking otherwise it'd be 2 weeks :[ ).

Skotty, I know what you mean, I go to uni and its filled with smokers! They must all gravitate around me or something because while I now find the smell god awful, my bones feel like they are being pulled out of my body, tongue goes tingly and that strange feeling of niccotine addiction sets in.

One benefit I've found that is especially good is my stamina has increased 10 fold, no surprises why the missus is happy I've quit ;)

Edit: I'm getting fat! Pork spare ribs at the cafe for lunch... I couldn't say no!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #138
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have just lost the 20kg that I put on after smoking ...... was worth the weight gain to be rid of the smokes !!!!!!!

Dont worry about the weight side of it just yet, concentrait on being a non smoker first
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #139
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

My current addiction is Wasabi coated dried peas that my team leader had sitting on his desk one day... keeps the hands occupied and my taste buds numb :P
Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #140
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
My current addiction is Wasabi coated dried peas that my team leader had sitting on his desk one day... keeps the hands occupied and my taste buds numb :P
And here i was thinkin you were downing dingas
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #141
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Now now mate, I've seen you walking round the office sucking on those green sticks the ambo's have in their medical kit I kid I kid...

New craving, salt and vinegar chips!

Out of curiosity, what are some methods people use to get their mind off the cravings? I've resorted to food at the moment but its not the healthiest option obviously.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #142
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just think about my 3 kids

Bit hard for you guys that dont have kids atm

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #143
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took the Sprint for a drive

I was able to get it because I gave up the smokes!!!!
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #144
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great post Bud Bud.

And well done Grandpa spec. You obviously want to do this as you keep trying. That is the hard thing. Maybe cutt the drinking back for a little while. The last time I quit I found a cold beer tasted better without the smokes. Just needed a little time to ease into it. And 3 smokes in 2 weeks, don't worry about them. your still going well.

@ Max. Well done on the 3 months. congrats.

As for the extra food, well thats something we all o through I think. I remember hearing its something to do with the habit of moving your hand to your mouth.

Quote:
I just think about my 3 kids

Bit hard for you guys that dont have kids atm

Jason
I agree Jason. I have 2 kids, and I have found a new level energy to play with the kids. This has been great, and we all love it.

But for those who don't have kids, they need to think that smoking does weaken their sperm count, making it harder to have kids and also increasing the chance of birth defects. Something to really think about.

Again, good luck to all, and congratulations to those who are quitting.

Oh, and I am now approaching the 7 week mark.

Ned
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #145
max
LWBforME

Thanks Ned. We all share the same goal at the end of the day. My incentive was the health one mainly followed by saving money and feeling free from the shackles of dependence. Congrats to all of us trying!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #146
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I took the Sprint for a drive

I was able to get it because I gave up the smokes!!!!
bragger lol

nah it is great to have a target

for me it is to have the money to pay a few people back for the help they have given me over the last few years

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #147
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
We all share the same goal at the end of the day. My incentive was the health one mainly followed by saving money and feeling free from the shackles of dependence. Congrats to all of us trying!
And congratulations for all of us for helping each other.

I found I actually get a lot more things done now as I don't procrastinate and have a cigarette. Now i just get in there and do it and look forward to the next challenge.

I love the fact that I am now a non smoker and the freedom that has allowed me and the outlook on life as well, these little things all add up.

I was at the parents house today and Dad still smokes inside, the smell disgusts me, but what is more irritating is how my clothes smell as I am used to smelling clean and fresh all the time now. Just another positive for giving up.

Keep at it Ladies and Gents.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #148
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Thanks Ned. We all share the same goal at the end of the day. My incentive was the health one mainly followed by saving money and feeling free from the shackles of dependence. Congrats to all of us trying!
The health and financial benefits related to quitting smoking go hand in hand but how good is this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
feeling free from the shackles of dependence.
This one I can really vouch for! Yes and congrates from me also to everyone here for giving it a go. Keep up the good work!

Bud Bud
Old 20-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #149
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Well my first real milestone has finally come about, thanks to lots of support from both family, friends and especially people here on the forums, in particular, Jason[98.EL] who has offered lots of advice and support both on and off the forums, even though we've never met face to face.

It has officially been a month since my last ciggy, and to mark that month, I found a bloody ciggy in my other car while cleaning it out... and promptly threw it in the bin!

Go back a month and I wouldn't have cared how long it had been sitting there, or what had been on the floor, I would have smoked it.

Not including my slip up, its been 5 and a half weeks, and I'm still getting cravings, but from what I've saved in smokes I put towards my major service and it nearly covered the whole thing! Pretty good incentive eh?
Old 20-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #150
max
LWBforME

Not including my slip up, its been 5 and a half weeks, and I'm still getting cravings, but from what I've saved in smokes I put towards my major service and it nearly covered the whole thing! Pretty good incentive eh? [/QUOTE]

Well done! That is a great milestone! Keep it up! The benefits take no time to realise. I would be a liar if I denied that even after four months I don't still have the occasional spike in yearning for a fag. Bloody funny that, because I so much hated the habit I was trapped in. But there is no doubt about it, it was a way of life. And for so many years. No wonder it is such a hard thing to kick. But now, as I assimilate into the life ways of a nonsmoker, pot belly resplendent, I fall asleep counting all the positives!