Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #121
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Moron?

Where in my reply to XA did I write about dragging on the street?

Where did I write about utilising the vehicles 'potential' on the street?

No where. And I don't wreckon I'm a good enough pilot to get the full potential from any my cars. But you, you're the race lgend aren't you......

If you want to look through ALL my previous posts bright spark, you'll see that unlike MOST on this forum, I take my cars to the circuit for serious adrenaline, I don't get my rocks off by racing on the street in built up areas. Using your cars potential - Yeh right, try using a couple of hundered RWKW's potential on the street while not falling into the danger zone (not just to yourself - but everyone around you) But by your logic that doesn't constitute being a hoon?

Anyway, i stand by what I said ages ago in this thread, but this time directed at you - grow up.
Ok yes whatever mate we believe you Im sure you love to be that internet warrior who has all the knowledge and knows whats right and whats wrong and can never lose an "e-battle" but lets just drop it before mods step in, BTW WOTDAH that EA is a work car and I dont gloat about it. Oh I wish I came from motorland and owned a BA with super bluepower tune lol, better call all the Bugatti owners around and tell em the done up taxi has extra power lol they better watch out Anyway thats enough from me back to topic
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #122
HRT8
Big Fella

I serioulsy think you blokes have missed 1 big point.

How much better does this make the end product for "us" users. It fantastic that we have the luxury of two different car makers going at it to continually push the boundaries.

WE, the car market get all the benefits.
HRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #123
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRT8

How much better does this make the end product for "us" users. It fantastic that we have the luxury of two different car makers going at it to continually push the boundaries.

agreed, competition gives us better cars in the end and is a good thing, why so many whingers

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #124
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Hold on Steffo, the Duratec V6 will not have a 5 Litre capacity twin turbo.....

Seriously, 300kw Callaway engine was a low volume, high cost engine that had a specific inlet manifold, cam and different, hand finished cylinder heads among other things. That's why it went into a 90-100K HSV.

The LS3 is a high volume, run of the mill engine that has been detuned a fair way down to 317kw. I estimate that its final evolution will see it somewhere around 350kw.

I know you hate pushrods, but the LS engines are not half as bad as you constantly make them out to be.

Daniel
Actually quite the opposite! I've always been a proponent of OHV Pushrod engines over their DOHC siblings! I'm the one who if in charge of Ford would throw the modular engine in the bit and burn the plans for it, and revive the Windsor, made of aluminium, with proper heads on it... not the ****y 150cfm crap Ford had on it standard.

I hate GM and their poor engineering. Its typical American. Can't do it? Make it bigger! Doesn't work? Throw more money at it!

The Callaway LS1... well... I don't know why HSV used it. The 302kW/542Nm 5.7 LS6 from the C5 Z06 was cheaper and more readily available and better.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #125
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

I hate GM and their poor engineering. .......

I seem to recall Ford had to snaffle Bunki Knudson and some of his engineering staff to develop the thinly disguised Chevy engines named Cleveland?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #126
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I seem to recall Ford had to snaffle Bunki Knudson and some of his engineering staff to develop the thinly disguised Chevy engines named Cleveland?
By that argument everyone copied the first guy to go ohv, or even 4 stroke. Undoubtedly Knudson brought ideas with him, but the ideas come from him and his team, Chev didnt teach him, he taught Chev.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #127
Wally
XP Coupe

I would suggest that canted valves that were so obvious on the Chev motors would be a fairly obvious take from GM. I'm not in a position to say whether Knudson developed the heads for GM or if he refined the method, but either way the statement that GM has/had inferior engineering doesn't hold, if Ford are using the same engineers and ideas....does it?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #128
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
And? Attacking Ford doesn't make GM any better. Besides, Ford USA is just as guilty of the same underengineering as GM.

:
Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #129
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRT8

Thats a good point there, its alot better these days compared to the mid/late 80's when ford didnt even have a V8 and Holden only had average offerings. I know that was a while back but just think if it was like the 80's today, best car to buy would be say N/A 6 cyl luxury pack Ford model or an SS with about 230ish KW
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #130
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
And? Attacking Ford doesn't make GM any better. Besides, Ford USA is just as guilty of the same underengineering as GM.
Who was attacking Ford?

What "underengineering" are we talking about and how do you quantify/qualify that?

Seems to me the Windsor was around for a very long time, which must mean it has some redeeming features. The "Aussie" six harks back fifty years from American design roots. Chev, Pontiac and Ford have all produced engines over a long period that have legacy trails, easy maintenance, easy repair, and longivity. It is the ease of modification that has contributed heavily to the DIY market and thus brand loyalty.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #131
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw gtho phase 2
not insecruity mate its called hsv leading the way again ....like to see what happens when u pull up at the lights with the 317 kw monster next to you in your 302 cobra u will be to gutless to give him a go in fear u will look like a idiot ...facts a facts mate im pretty sure hsv ls3 will make lunch duties out of the 315 kw 5.4 too we will wait n see im sure modern motor and the like will have there reviews in within the next 6 mths on both cars .
Mate, I wouldn't even race an VE SS if I had a GT LOL! You're gunna lose!

Even my Forester would make a GT look like a waste. Might be faster but by how much... not enough thats how much. :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #132
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why dosent ford just get back into the old windsor technology and bring out a single cam engine just like the all the LS series but of course alot better than the old windsor technology.

I dont beileve in quad cam crap, only single or twin cam and thats it becuz it just gets to costly for a cam upgrade and the engine just gets to complicated.
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #133
burnz
VFII SS UTE

another repost
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11214343
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #134
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Thats a good point there, its alot better these days compared to the mid/late 80's when ford didnt even have a V8 and Holden only had average offerings. I know that was a while back but just think if it was like the 80's today, best car to buy would be say N/A 6 cyl luxury pack Ford model or an SS with about 230ish KW
Thats a bit optimistic a late 80's SS having 230kw!

I seem to recall the 304ci in the VL having 125kw and advertsed as an engine for towing while the top of the line halo Holden was the VL SS Group A with 180kw.

Considering the XF had 120kw and was comparatively good on fuel it is no wonder the XF was the best selling Falcon ever.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #135
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
why dosent ford just get back into the old windsor technology and bring out a single cam engine just like the all the LS series but of course alot better than the old windsor technology.

I dont beileve in quad cam crap, only single or twin cam and thats it becuz it just gets to costly for a cam upgrade and the engine just gets to complicated.
Sure, why not! and while they're at it bring back the 14" 12 slotters, leaf rear ends and ditch aircon... :

Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #136
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:

Not so my friend, quad cams are the future, everyone is using it these days (bar GM and Dodge).

The AMG 6.2L DOHC V8 makes 378kW@6800rpm, the 6.2L pushrod LS3 makes 317kW@6000, do you think if HSV tuned the LS3 to peak at 6800rpm, it would be making 507hp or even more?....I highly doubt it when the 7.0L LS7 only makes 505hp at 6300rpm....and believe it or not the AMG 6.2 mill has a better torque curve than the LS7!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #137
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Thats a bit optimistic a late 80's SS having 230kw!

I seem to recall the 304ci in the VL having 125kw and advertsed as an engine for towing while the top of the line halo Holden was the VL SS Group A with 180kw.

Considering the XF had 120kw and was comparatively good on fuel it is no wonder the XF was the best selling Falcon ever.
yeah what I was trying to say was imagine it was how it was in the 80's at present, we'd probably only have SS's with 230ish KW, the rest of what your saying is correct. Im trying to distinguish between the fact that in the 80's the V8's/ high performance car were decent compared to base models but where as today they are making special/ high performance models stretch way ahead of base models
Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #138
HSE2

Interesting we can get this topic up to over 2500 views, while over at LS1 dot com it doesn't seem to rate highly at all. One thread I found was locked.

All very relaxed about it in a community that should actually care.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #139
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To them its probably same S***, different bucket.

Especially when the LS1 first came out they were modding and getting great results. Then when the 6 litre came out and everything carried over and worked just as well, even better with the slight extra cubes.

0.2 of a litre in pretty much the same motor is not a big deal, unless your in the market for a new V8.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #140
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Interesting we can get this topic up to over 2500 views, while over at LS1 dot com it doesn't seem to rate highly at all. One thread I found was locked.

All very relaxed about it in a community that should actually care.
Theres been quite a few threads over there about the LS3. A couple got locked because it had already been discussed and they're sick of talking about it.

Strange group of characters over there.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #141
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Not so my friend, quad cams are the future, everyone is using it these days (bar GM and Dodge).

The AMG 6.2L DOHC V8 makes 378kW@6800rpm, the 6.2L pushrod LS3 makes 317kW@6000, do you think if HSV tuned the LS3 to peak at 6800rpm, it would be making 507hp or even more?....I highly doubt it when the 7.0L LS7 only makes 505hp at 6300rpm....and believe it or not the AMG 6.2 mill has a better torque curve than the LS7!
Quad cams are not the future! They're actually older then OHV Pushrod technology, dating back to 1912 vs around 1917. There's nothing new about them. There's nothing 'better,' about them. They both use the same, limited capability, flawed, poppet valve design. Both have too many moving parts, consume too much oil, are too big, are too heavy and are easily replaced with camless technology like rotary valves. Century old technology being clung on-to by car manufacturers.

:
Old 04-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #142
YOOT
Banned

Quote:

Quad cams are twin cams, there is only two cams on each cylcinder, just more than one cyclinder bank.

They way your talking you make it sound like there are four cames above each cylinder LOL!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #143
weenie

Looks like gm are working on direct injection & variable cam timing for the gen v range of motors. The torque curve goes just about straight up & stayed there across the rev range, although the peak didnt change much. Improved ecconomy as well. The next few years will be interesting.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #144
Need_a_V8

Quote:

And how much does a crate engine from AMG cost? Compare that to $6-$7k for an LS3 out the crate... BIG DIFFERENCE!

Its not all about tech tech tech! Pushrod is cost effective!

The LS3 in correct tune should be good for 330kw with still alot of room to move. Not this detuned 317kw crap. 330kw 6.2L LS3 for $6-7k out the crate compared to 378kw AMG engine for what? 20k+? The LS7 is cheaper than the AMG engine and again with an alright tune as seen in the CSV's its good for 400kw at the fly, if not more.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #145
Wally
XP Coupe

Isn't AMG what HSV and FPV are to Holden and Ford respectively, except AMG garner bits 'n bobs from Merc's racing engines?

I'd have thought with all that race breeding and o/head cams and twin valves the AMG would be putting out much more than 503 hp at 6,800 rpm and 456 lb-ft of torque at 5,200, compared to most powerful NA production engine being an antiquated 7.0 GM pushrod delivering 505 hp and 470 lb-ft.

To my mind if GM, or Ford for that matter did decide to enter the market segments that Merc play in, they could probably justify making engines that trounce the competition in cubic capacity per pony. There is hardly anything black magic in engines. That they prefer to cater to the mass market is a strategy they are obviously comfortable with. Ford could simply call on Cosworth for the design.

Focusing on displacement as the be all and end all of engine performance is tunnel vision, generally used for arguments that are being lost.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #146
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:

And gee those AMGs are cheap aren't they :-) I might buy one to put in a hot rod.... Or maybe instead for the same money get two Chevy powered hot rods built for the price of one with an AMG engine, LOL.

I am sure if Chev was selling LS3s for as much money as a whole Commodore fitted with an LS3 then they would hand build them fitted with top end components and probably be making more than 600hp. As it is as the moment they are a relatively cheap engine that have proved pretty robust and damn good bang for the buck.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #147
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTp001
Ok has anyone seen a VE SS or HSV on the drag strip? What time did it run NO BS? and stock
yes - i saw a stock Maloo do a mid 13 or there abouts -

No wheelspin - Either he was launching it perfect and they were slow - or he wasn't launching hard enough
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #148
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
VE Maloo at Willowbank on Saturday was running 13.9's. It was stock, the owner just wanted to see what it'd do.

I believe TUF240 lined up against it. Ask him what it did.

haha thats the one i was talking about
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #149
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Mate, I wouldn't even race an VE SS if I had a GT LOL! You're gunna lose!

Even my Forester would make a GT look like a waste. Might be faster but by how much... not enough thats how much. :

CHECKOUT THE STATEMENT ABOVE . ^^^^^ WOOOOOOH MALOO UTE STOCK DOES A SCARY 13.9 AT THE DRAGS , THATS XR8 /GT CATAGORY.

SO what's all this crap about the LS3 . OOOOOOOOOHH , VERY SCARY PERFORMANCE INDEED .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #150
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
The fact is the HSV's have owned any V8 from Ford for a bloody long time (T3 offered a decent fight though) on the track and off the track. FACT!!
The Ford V8 is essentially a truck motor that takes too many revs to do anything but has a low rev limit, so by the time the fun starts, the limiter comes in.
Decent fight ! it sure did and more, I'm still "waiting" for the same company to deliver again so I can park the T3 and use the next for my daily but it has to be an 8 thats the fair fight against GM not the 6pack with all due respect.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post