Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #121
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: TRD Aurion comparable to XR6T ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
BMW have been saying exactly that for years.

They only recently decided to make a FWD car to have something to compete with the masses of cheaper to manufacture FWD cars on the market.
Actually who is the clown who invented FWD. Surely putting the engine in the rear would be less complex as no steering involved, shorter fuel lines, shorter exhaust pipes and less power loss?
Old 22-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #122
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you say lift-off oversteer?
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #123
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Actually who is the clown who invented FWD. Surely putting the engine in the rear would be less complex as no steering involved, shorter fuel lines, shorter exhaust pipes and less power loss?
It's been done

Didn't go so well... Have you heard of the book "Unsafe at Any Speed"?
Old 23-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #124
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo
All you boys who bag FWD cars better get with the program

Unless you plan on driving old falcons with 400 zillion kilometres on them for the rest of your life then you better suck it up.

Ford and Holden will be all front wheel drive, forget all wheel drive it ain't gonna happen...the world wants fuel economy with cheap manufacturing costs and some mild performance.
Cough, Mustang, cough
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #125
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaness8 View Post
The Toyota Aurion TRD never had electric power steering
Boson was commenting on Sportivo, so standard Aurions got it - "the adoption of electric power steering – mounted to the steering column to improve feel – enabled Toyota to reduce parking steering effort while providing a heavier, more direct feel when travelling at speed" (from GO Auto).

I wasnt sure 100% the TRD got it, though they have the same steering rack.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 23-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #126
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
What guy would that be?
I believe Zilo has a 380 making decent power at and around 700nm at the front wheels.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-08-2014 at 07:23 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #127
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I believe Zilo has a 380 making decent power at and around 700nm at the front wheels.
700? Impressive
Old 24-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #128
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
It's been done

Death trap ....
Old 24-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #129
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

We need FWD's - they made Toyota MR2's, Pontiac Fiero's, Fiat X1/9's, Lotus Elise/Exige & Lotus Evora's economically viable.

(As a former owner of FWD and RWD cars there is nothing wrong with a properly developed small FWD car. I once knew a guy who got out of his RWD V8 Lexus IS-F to get back in to his previous TRD Aurion)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 24-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #130
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Death trap ....
Anyone care to elaborate why?
Old 24-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #131
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Anyone care to elaborate why?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

In essence, the first generation Corvair had tricky handling which some claimed made it more likely to be crashed. GM copped a lot of lawsuits over said crashes (over 100).
Old 25-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #132
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Clown? surely your just stirring
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 25-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #133
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

FWD became more popular in the 70s and 80s as there was a push to make smaller, more compact cars. Or so I understand from some book I read back then. I think it was called What Car? or something like that. Rumour has it they weren't originally intended for optimum performance.
Old 25-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #134
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
FWD became more popular in the 70s and 80s as there was a push to make smaller, more compact cars. Or so I understand from some book I read back then. I think it was called What Car? or something like that. Rumour has it they weren't originally intended for optimum performance.
Yeah that's my understanding as well. Front wheel drive has many great benefits;

Liberates more interior space
Lighter construction
Cheaper construction
More fuel efficient.

Rear wheel drive doesn't really offer many advantages over FWD at all, except they make for a superior driver/performance car. (all other things being equal)
Old 25-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #135
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The original Mini in 1959 really was the pioneer of the modern FWD system, the format gave the ability to use so much more interior space and make the external dimensions so much smaller. The Mini took it even further than modern FWD in that the transmission was integral to the crankcase of the engine.

Interestingly the Mini went on to have giant killing performance and handling due to low mass, low C of G and a wide track. So much for the idea that no FWD has good handling.
Old 26-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #136
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah that's my understanding as well. Front wheel drive has many great benefits;

Liberates more interior space
Lighter construction
Cheaper construction
More fuel efficient.

Rear wheel drive doesn't really offer many advantages over FWD at all, except they make for a superior driver/performance car. (all other things being equal)
FWD cars are also safer in cold climates, in snow and ice countries such as the US and europe, the steered wheels cant lock up as they do in a RWD car.

I can get up and down at Mt Hotham in my FWD without chains on, in the Ford on the way down, the front wheels just lockup right away and no steering...bang...straight into the guard rail.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 02:09 AM   #137
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

In essence, the first generation Corvair had tricky handling which some claimed made it more likely to be crashed. GM copped a lot of lawsuits over said crashes (over 100).
Only tricky handling because they didnt put a sway bar on the base model to cut cost.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 26-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #138
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's been done

The Tatra from the Czech republic weren't bad, engine at the back and rwd.
Old 26-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #139
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodx View Post
the tatra from the czech republic weren't bad, engine at the back and rwd.

Attachment 84511

Last edited by SumoDog68; 24-11-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 26-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #140
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technically the 4s is awd not rwd
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 26-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #141
Taily

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
FWD cars are also safer in cold climates, in snow and ice countries such as the US and europe, the steered wheels cant lock up as they do in a RWD car.

I can get up and down at Mt Hotham in my FWD without chains on, in the Ford on the way down, the front wheels just lockup right away and no steering...bang...straight into the guard rail.
Only to a point. Then your Ford is/was not aligned or set up properly or you are just plainly not driving to suit the conditions but FWD and RWD both have their plusses and minuses in that scenario. Before you start laughing I'll set the record straight. I've owned many front wheel, all wheel, and rear wheel drive cars, utes, 4WDs etc since buying my first car (a Mazda R100) in 1985. I've either raced, dragged or at least modded in some way every single car (of the 25 odd) I've ever owned in this time and I'll say at the outset that FWD is only marginally better in slippery conditions heading downhill, now lets turn around and head uphill around a corner - where FWD is at its weakest in the slippery stuff.

In your 380 you're left behind (I speak from experience my wife owned one from new in 2005, was a brilliant car but I was well aware of its shortcomings)... Anyone wanting to doubt this should think about a FWD trying to tow a boat up a mossy, slippery ramp or driving up a steep hill and going around a roundabout with said trailer behind. Up until very recently you couldn't put any more than around 150-170KW/Tonne powerloading through a well sorted FWD system before you started running to the edge of adhesion issues with the tyres. Modern Stability and Traction systems have alieviated much of this - see the latest GTI for a well thought out front end when driven hard against the Type R, but they cannot completely eliminate weight transfer.

Your 380 putting 700nm through the front end sounds great (what rods are you running?) but don't kid yourself, in very fast cornering with a (real) mid corner upset, you're heading bush in the 380 unless you've come up with a brilliant new traction control system for it or are running AWD or at least -3 deg Neg camber and running slicks... The moment you distort that contact patch of your front tyres you're fighting a losing battle to regain it and put power down at the same time through the one axle group.

They are a great all round car for everyday Joe - I gotta be honest the 380 was well ahead of the NA 6 BF falcon in most things including build quality, refinement, general handling and a sweet sweet donk etc but pushed hard the pendulum swings towards RWD for tractability, ease of power delivery and general predictability when pushed hard.

I am well aware of arguments for and against but the biggest comparison of the point I can come up with is compare our V8 supercars to the British Touring cars. Small(er) hp works better through front wheels, bigger car/bigger output it needs to drive the rear to get power down well.

Last edited by Taily; 26-08-2014 at 10:04 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #142
zilo
BANNED

taily don't take any of this personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taily View Post
Only to a point. Then your Ford is/was not aligned or set up properly or you are just plainly not driving to suit the conditions
I put the snow chains on the front wheels and press the accelerator.
Nothing further to setup mate.
Driving wheels can't lockup, whether uphill or downhill steering integrity kept.

On a RWD downhill you have to use the handbrake to stop else the front wheels lockup and it's all over.

Have you ever done any snow driving?

Quote:
but FWD and RWD both have their plusses and minuses in that scenario. Before you start laughing I'll set the record straight.
I'm talking about snow/ice not towing a trailer up a boat ramp.

Quote:
I've owned many front wheel, all wheel, and rear wheel drive cars, utes, 4WDs etc since buying my first car (a Mazda R100) in 1985.
I got my licence in 1975..first car was an XY falcon.
You were about 8 years old then?

Quote:
I've either raced, dragged or at least modded in some way every single car (of the 25 odd) I've ever owned in this time and I'll say at the outset that FWD is only marginally better in slippery conditions heading downhill, now lets turn around and head uphill around a corner - where FWD is at its weakest in the slippery stuff.
My FWD with Quaife torsion Limited slip differential works just fine downhill and uphill ...even in straight line on the flat.

Quote:
In your 380 you're left behind (I speak from experience my wife owned one from new in 2005, was a brilliant car but I was well aware of its shortcomings)...

Not my 380 matey.
I have 270kw@710Nm at the wheels .

Quote:
Anyone wanting to doubt this should think about a FWD trying to tow a boat up a mossy, slippery ramp or driving up a steep hill and going around a roundabout with said trailer behind.
Now I know you're either kidding or just making up stories.
I launch a Stabicraft 593HT with my FWD sedan.
No problems, and what's this about roundabouts?

Is your experience with a FWD 1986 Holden Camira?

Quote:
Up until very recently you couldn't put any more than around 150-170KW/Tonne powerloading through a well sorted FWD system before you started running to the edge of adhesion issues with the tyres.
By recently you mean twenty years ago?

Quote:
Modern Stability and Traction systems have alieviated much of this - see the latest GTI for a well thought out front end when driven hard against the Type R, but they cannot completely eliminate weight transfer.
Weight transfer occurs with both RWD and FWD cars, you simply drive them differently.

As I have said FWD you see the tree coming, RWD you dont know what hit you, but both lose control and hit the tree with certain drivers.

You're not suggesting that RWD is safer?...surely you jest?

Quote:
Your 380 putting 700nm through the front end sounds great (what rods are you running?)
Peuter rods (good for 1000hp)
Custom SPS pistons 8.5CR
nitrided crank...etc

Really not your average FWD mate, 270kw@710nM at the wheels.

So not surprising I find some of your comments...funny...

Quote:
but don't kid yourself, in very fast cornering with a (real) mid corner upset, you're heading bush in the 380 unless you've come up with a brilliant new traction control system for it or are running AWD or at least -3 deg Neg camber and running slicks... The moment you distort that contact patch of your front tyres you're fighting a losing battle to regain it and put power down at the same time through the one axle group.
One word for you..

KONI

Quote:
They are a great all round car for everyday Joe - I gotta be honest the 380 was well ahead of the NA 6 BF falcon in most things including build quality, refinement, general handling and a sweet sweet donk etc but pushed hard the pendulum swings towards RWD for tractability, ease of power delivery and general predictability when pushed hard.
Stock FWD Mitsubishi 380 absolutely flogs a NA RWD Falcon in a straight line, around corners, braking, suspension..
But they both share one important feature...noone wants to buy them so they will both just be memories soon...

Even though it's a Ford forum it's unfortunately a fact of life.

Last edited by zilo; 26-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 26-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #143
Taily

[QUOTE=zilo;5196709]taily don't take any of this personally... [quote]

Well I did write my post being respectful of the "play the ball, not the man" ethos but obviously it got a little difficult for you when someone dared actually call you on some aspects of what you wrote...

Quote:
I put the snow chains on the front wheels and press the accelerator. Nothing further to setup mate. Driving wheels can't lockup, whether uphill or downhill steering integrity kept.

On a RWD downhill you have to use the handbrake to stop else the front wheels lockup and it's all over.
Quote:
Have you ever done any snow driving?
Yeah, worked weekends at Perisher and Bluecow as a fitter 87-89 seasons. Saw enough of it in that time and learnt to deal with it, mostly just be gentle as you go. It isn't rocket science, but you do seem to miss the point that active stability systems in vehicles these days have moved on quite a lot from yours and my old 380s. It isn't impossible to lock a wheel in the scenario you describe but there are those who seem to still manage it easily... What I said about FWD vs RWD still stands, they both have their good and bad points in that scenario and FWD is not always best, just as RWD isn't either.

Quote:
I'm talking about snow/ice not towing a trailer up a boat ramp.
I was expanding a point. Obviously that was lost on you.

Quote:
I got my licence in 1975..first car was an XY falcon.
You were about 8 years old then?
Thanks, I was merely making a point that I (like many) have held a licence for a while and didn't come down in the last shower either. I'll shelve the "personal" reply to your dig...

Quote:
My FWD with Quaife torsion Limited slip differential works just fine downhill and uphill ...even in straight line on the flat.
Great, they weren't available to me in 2006 when I started modding the wifes car and it was a constant annoyance getting power down even through sticky 245x17 Michies. But north of 200kw back then made for an interesting drive.

Quote:
Not my 380 matey.
I have 270kw@710Nm at the wheels .
I never asked you to drop your dacks but since you mentioned it my wife's tuned and kitted XR50T pushes out more (not much more, but enough) than that - also, at the wheels. I have no idea what my old ute pushes out yet but it shows her a clean rear end in a straight line.

Quote:
Now I know you're either kidding or just making up stories.
Not biting apart from how and what would you like verified?

Quote:
I launch a Stabicraft 593HT with my FWD sedan.
No problems, and what's this about roundabouts?
I'm not talking about your lightweight tinny, I'm talking about my boat, a Caribbean Cobra - around 1400kg laden weight + fishing or ski gear. Put yourself towing what I was trying to attempting to even gently conduct an uphill start at a wet roundabout and even your LSD wont help you and in fact would even cause you more grief as your spinning front wheels slide to the left down the camber of the road toward the gutter. You must have lauched at some seriously shallow ramps also to have never had difficulty dragging even your tinny out of the water. Try seeing more of the country and some of those hard to get at spots that don't have big huge concrete ramps that are regularly cleaned.

Quote:
Is your experience with a FWD 1986 Holden Camira?
No, not biting, suffice to say been involved in enough motorsport and modding cars even through my previous line of work I walked away from 20 years ago. I've never bothered to count my trophies though.

Quote:
By recently you mean twenty years ago?

Weight transfer occurs with both RWD and FWD cars, you simply drive them differently.

As I have said FWD you see the tree coming, RWD you dont know what hit you, but both lose control and hit the tree with certain drivers.
Wow. My point all along...

Quote:
You're not suggesting that RWD is safer?...surely you jest?
Probably the safest car I ever owned would be an R32 I owned from new until early last year. Glad to see it go though, I earn good coin but there was no man alive that would put up with its continued drain on his wallet the way it did to mine.

Quote:
Peuter rods (good for 1000hp)
Custom SPS pistons 8.5CR
nitrided crank...etc
All I was able to do to ours (bearing in mind I was doing this to a car with only 500km on it after it was run in) was portwork and cam changes and some minor tuning.

Quote:
Really not your average FWD mate, 270kw@710nM at the wheels.

So not surprising I find some of your comments...funny...

Quote:
One word for you..

KONI
One to two for you too: Development test units and agreeing to some R+D for certain OEM suppliers...

Quote:
Stock FWD Mitsubishi 380 absolutely flogs a NA RWD Falcon in a straight line, around corners, braking, suspension..
But they both share one important feature...noone wants to buy them so they will both just be memories soon...

Even though it's a Ford forum it's unfortunately a fact of life.
Didn't disagree with you, read it again...

Last edited by Taily; 26-08-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 26-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #144
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I would rather cruise around in a XR6T or almost any other Ford than a hotted up Camry. It may be a better car than a Falcon but it has ZERO street presence & is about as exciting as dating a 60 year old nun.

Just because its a better car doesn't make it the better car.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
Old 26-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #145
cortinagt

Quote:
It's been done

This one was safe at considerable speed

But it wasn't that standard. "Much of the car’s hardware came from one of Frank Gardner’s previous employers, Lola, in the form of Lola T332 running gear."

Basically they looked at all the cars on the market and found one that their openwheeler running gear would sorta fit under.

http://www.motorsportarchive.com/fra...ev_corvair.htm

Off topic but cool
Old 26-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #146
black13
born to be mild

Pretty sad that this thread has turned into a **** fight
Old 26-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #147
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Just about every thread referring to any FWD car does here.
Old 26-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #148
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Well I did write my post being respectful of the "play the ball, not the man" ethos but obviously it got a little difficult for you when someone dared actually call you on some aspects of what you wrote...

All I said was

" FWD cars are also safer in cold climates, in snow and ice countries such as the US and europe, the steered wheels cant lock up as they do in a RWD car.

I can get up and down at Mt Hotham in my FWD without chains on, in the Ford on the way down, the front wheels just lockup right away and no steering...bang...straight into the guard rail. "

You agree don't you?
Old 27-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #149
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I call BS on that.

According to Wheels, BF XT 4 Speed clocked 7.5 seconds 0-100 and 15.3 seconds 0-400m.

380 Series III ES 5-speed auto clocked 7.6 seconds 0-100.

I didn't know a near dead-heat constitutes a 'flog' ...

BF Falcon XT has a 15kW and 40Nm advantage over the 380 Series III ES and weighs only 29kg more.

Wheels also compared the 380 VRX with the BFII XR6 and VE SV6, and found the XR6 and SV6 to be dynamically superior to the 380.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 27-08-2014 at 12:06 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #150
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

XR6T wins ......... there you go! End of debate

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread