Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #121
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

I don't think I've ever said that Wheels or Motor is biased in 0-100 tests, but sometimes SOME of the writers seem to nitpick at things and put smaller things in bigger consideration than big important things (urggh, the seatbelt felt rather uncomfortable). However, I do believe that sometimes Holden gets more exposure in Wheels and Motor - intentional or not. It is just annoying getting issue after issue with another Holden on the front (thankfully this issue was an exception). This is probably due to either
1. Biased cover designers
2. Clever marketing who wants to get more sales.

BUT, Holdens have generally been faster in 0-100 tests - and haven't they been caught out modifying a test car before? Or is that just a myth?

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #122
Huntsman
Starter Motor

Without doubt there's been more Holdens on covers than Fords. And that's just plain common sense because statistics show putting a Holden on the cover sells more issues. Which, bottom line, is what these guys are paid for.

Obviously Holden has had plenty of exposure in the past 12 months with the VE launch; perhaps it's quite stark because Ford have had only minor upgrades in the same time period.

But remember back to BA launch, and there was a story every month in the six months prior to launch, and Wheels did a 24-page booklet on Territory when it launched.

It's cyclical - and at the moment Holden have had plenty of trumps to throw down. That should change early next year when Orion comes on stream.

And the modified Holden test car? Not in my time at Motor. If it happened, then it's one of the best kept secrets I've never heard of and, quite frankly, I can't believe any of the big two manufacturers would even risk it happening because you'll get caught. Remember the Phoon debacle?

cheers
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #123
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
BUT, Holdens have generally been faster in 0-100 tests - and haven't they been caught out modifying a test car before? Or is that just a myth?
Cant remember whether it was Wheels or Motor but they have stated before that some of the engines seemed to have been "warmed over" in the Holdens, in reference to particular LS1's in some comparison tests (had some very healthy 235kw VYSS's etc).

Ford had probably done the same thing, as when they first tested the BA XR6Ts they were running in the 5s for 0-100 and then dropped off dramatically as they continued testing the newer ones (BAMkII, BF).
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #124
danv8

Bah its only a magazine for god sakes don't like it?
Don't buy it. :
danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post