Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #121
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Silly news is Silly.

Considering ford Au has had a good peformance lately with the FG, getting praise from some media for it, it would be silly to simply can the falcon and replace it with the taurus. Taurus and mondeo are fairly similer, so the mondeo would have to go then, but its a good seller for FAU anyway.

The only thing i can see happening is that someway, somehow, the Falcon will have a platform common with an oversees platform, but with local engines and body etc.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #122
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Last year Ford sold 32,000 Falcons!

And the small car segment has a huge private buyer base. The Mazda 3 is the biggest selling privately bought car in Australia which means more profits than the fleet driven large car segment.

Also small cars are becoming more and more premium. Buyers are willing to sacrifice size for economy and features. And buyers are willing to buy the more expensive trims. The Focus with its advanced petrol, diesel engines and upcoming hybrid and electric versions would have plugged right into Australian government policies.

Factories are about reducing fixed costs through economies of scale, an extra 40,000 units pumping through Broadmeadows a year would help the amortize production over a greater amount of cars which would help the Falcon.

I still would have fought tooth and nail for the Focus production, if only just to help secure Fords manufacturing future in Australia.
Profit margins on small cars are nowhere near as much on large cars. Especially if those cars are manufactured domestically.

Have a look at the number of competitors the Focus is up against in its segment and the cut throat price wars that erupt from time to time - Falcon only has 1 or two direct competitors.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #123
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Dad just came in the door and goes to me "They're cutting the Falcon". The problem is pretty much everyone here believes the media.
exactly no-one in the ford world has said the falcon has no future, it's all media speculation designed to get peoples attention. It seems to have worked because joe public eats it up as gospel.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #124
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its on the 6:00 news. Australian media wont stop 'till it brings the death of Ford aust just as it did to MMAL. Dissapointing, have already had 2 holden loving mates ring me today and tell me how much better Commores are cause the Falcon is getting canned :togo: .
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #125
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
exactly no-one in the ford world has said the falcon has no future, it's all media speculation designed to get peoples attention. It seems to have worked because joe public eats it up as gospel.
And if they keep it up the Falcon will be dead long before its replacement is due. The speculation will get to people (think mitsubishi) the falcon is the only large car PICKING UP market share. So FORD executives need to STFU and stop putting the doubt cloud over the product.

reporter - 'and what about the future plans for the falcon'

Ford executives - 'the falcon is selling well, Its got a strong future'

End of interview.

If something concrete hasn't been reached, or the replacement isn't already on the production floor, I dont see why they keep putting speculation out there.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #126
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is the LEAD & ONLY story nine news just had on the update to the 6pm news... This as really gotten out of hand... Ford Australia really, really, really need to come out & say soemtime... They are reporting as a GIVEN & a DONE DEAL...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #127
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Oh no - the sky is falling.

This is most likely what really happened.

Some jurno muppet was talking to his/her Ford insider 'contact' - asked about something to do with the new V8 motor.
Ford contact says that they can not confirm anything...
Not day jurno recycles the same junk from 12 months ago; changes the models and the names to suit - and everyone takes it a gossipl.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #128
FPV70

If ford Aus don't get off their backside and say something here, then it's their own fault for letting such a great car with 60 years of history in Australia go down the drain.
Us as relatively loyal customers that do speak about what we want in car have every right to say stuff it, goin to GM now.
Time after time we have heard this kind of thing and lets face it, everytime we hear it, it CAN be a reality. They have tried to replace the Falcon before with the old crappy Taurus, Tried to replace the Falcon Wagon with the Teritory but the old girl keeps fighting back.

When are they going to realize that Aussies and probably most Americans and Brittish actually like Rear Wheel Drive.

Aston Martin, RWD. Ferrari, RWD. Porsche, RWD. Decent Mercs, RWD. Must I say more!?!

Ford, If you don't pull your finger out, then kiss your market share good bye as you know from the past that we don't want FWD. Keep what we have, Give it to the seppo's and push like a freight train. Our Falcon shouldn't go that easy.

My 2c
Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #129
g220ba
FGX XR8

Lets all suppose for a second that no decision has yet been made. Now if this is the case then how can ford confirm things one way or another. The problem here is journalists out to earn their dollars by getting ratings, now that may be papers sold, or veiwers/listeners.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #130
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
If ford Aus don't get off their backside and say something here, then it's their own fault for letting such a great car with 60 years of history in Australia go down the drain.

Marin Burela has been saying things, he has been saying:

Front wheel drives are part of Australian culture now
Most young people have had front wheel drives their whole life
Front wheel drives have a lot benefits from a packaging perspective
The Taurus is a great car
People no longer care whether their car is RWD
People only used to want RWD to tow, but nowadays they used 4wds.

Yet people are blaming are the media??? Mark my words, the Falcon will be Taurus based.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #131
mikmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I honestly think the bigger issue is whether Ford AU will be making cars in Australia Full Stop. To me the Taurus platform is going to happen.

All this talk about a decision on RWD being 12 - 18 months away is rubbish, its already happened, they just need to sign it off and work out funding and other issues which will happen over the coming year.

With ute and wagon out of the picture, the volumes to sustain Taurus based FWD and AWD Falcon production is concerning, I still think that overturning the local Focus decision has made the future difficult for Ford Australia to continue manufacturing cars.
I would totally agree. If the Falcon (in its current form) has a used by date of 2014, they would be in deep engineering development of the replacement, right now.

I only drop in here from time to time (being a biased Holden fan and all : ) but would have to say that, although this happens evertime there is an auto show (journos pester Alan Mulloney about global RWD/future of Falcon then FordAus CEO releases a statement saying there is nothing concrete right now) I would hate to see the Taurus replace the Falcon. Not only is the Falcodore battle a cultural staple of the Australian Autmotive industry, but it is also a source for accessible RWD cars.

Just a side note to that the only current turbo Taurus is the AWD SHO which weighs in at a spritely 1981kgs, so kiss any performance handling aspirations good bye.

I don't know what Ford NA is going to do with respect to a potential RWD Lincoln, but they definitely need a RWD Mustang, and having 1 single vehicle based off its own bespoke platform flies in the face of Mulooney's One Ford Policy. One of our regular Ford Fans on GMInsidenews.com seems pretty confident (without actually saying anything directly) that there is indeed a pretty strong chance that Lincoln WILL go ahead with a RWD sedan.

That will assure a RWD future, but it may not be as attainable as today's Falcon.

Still, I have my fingers crossed, because if the Falcon dies, I'll have no one to pick on (Toyota is just too easy).
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #132
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This seems to have caused a rather large stir to the mix - public forums are a good way for discussing various issues but if a barrage of emails to Ford AU were to be initiated, then some one may be stung into action with a reply - what the reply may be, though, could be any ones guess.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #133
Mansal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
They are reporting as a GIVEN & a DONE DEAL...
...probably because it is. If it weren't you'd think that Ford Australia would have retorted by now.
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #134
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Front wheel drive is about saving money.
I wouldn't buy a front wheel drive Falcon, couldn't imagine a GT or F6 FRONT WHEEL DRIVE Car.
It appears it will be one car for all regardless of what part of the world.
In the US I believe they will still retain a RWD car or at least we hope so..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #135
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK I am not thinking this could be a bad thing.

I still think there are so many benefits for going Tauras based.

Imagine all the technology, such as synch and MyFord, radar cruise, bi-xenon headlights, glass roofs, hybrid technology...

This could be the dawn of a new era of Falcon.

Plus three little words...

ALL WHEEL DRIVE
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #136
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Why would it be so hard to have Falcon and Mustang sharing the same RWD architecture as Commodore and Camaro do with the Zeta platform? If I could have it my way, Ford AU, Ford NA and Lincoln could all share a GRWD platform with each other. Crown Victoria and a return of the LTD and Fairlane could run on a LWB platform, Faclon and Lincoln could share the "medium" wheel base platform and Mustang on a SWB, all utilising the same RWD architecture, just running on different wheel bases.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #137
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

FWD Falcon.... No thanks, i'll go somewhere else.

Havent seen this in a while: