Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #121
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driver Blamed for Hitting Cows on Road at Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I don't disagree I've not studied the subject but jeez it sounds like a ludicrously long time to react.
Yeah, honestly, I can't relate to it. I'm not trying to sound like I'm some sort of freak, but maybe I just have remarkably good foot speed, I've never needed anywhere near a second to go from seeing an obstacle to getting my foot on the brake.

It's a fair point that was made above WRT driving while mind occupied with other tasks, I try not to do that, and anticipate others idiocy.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #122
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Yeah, honestly, I can't relate to it. I'm not trying to sound like I'm some sort of freak, but maybe I just have remarkably good foot speed, I've never needed anywhere near a second to go from seeing an obstacle to getting my foot on the brake.

It's a fair point that was made above WRT driving while mind occupied with other tasks, I try not to do that, and anticipate others idiocy.
You don't think it takes that long...we always overestimate how good we were after the fact, we've all done it. Some people learn the hard way sadly. There was a child killed outside a school in Bundaberg just up the road from where we lived way back in the early 1990's...it was after school time and the zone had gone back to 60kph with no lollipop lady there. Some kid had stayed back for sports lessons or something. The child ran right out in front of the poor driver when their car was just about on the pedestrian crossing, and the skidmarks didn't start until well after the crossing. Police said completely no fault of the driver, it was just normal reaction of a couple of seconds travelling at 60kph between seeing the danger, reacting, moving your foot over to the brake, slamming it on, the car reacting, etc.
Takes way longer than you'd like, believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I don't disagree I've not studied the subject but jeez it sounds like a ludicrously long time to react.

Scary indeed.
That's fallible human beings in a "surprise!" situation for you. as I said, reaction times are way quicker on the drag strip...but you're ready for it, you're expecting what's about to happen and you're all keyed up for it.
Throw the completely unexpected into the mix out on the roads in the real world and christ knows what will happen.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #123
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

Sorry, but if they do it a couple of seconds away, maybe even up to five or more seconds away depending how occupied you are with other things at the time, chances are you won't even get your foot on the brake pedal.
Real life isn't a drag strip.
Yeah, real life isn't a drag strip, but anything over 2 seconds is starting to push it. 2 seconds is a long time when driving. Watch some dash cam crashes, often from the time the hazard appears to the time the accident is over it is well within a 5 second time frame. If your reaction time is over 2 seconds, you are probably not paying attention to the road, so that is hardly a reaction time delay.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #124
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60kph is 16 meters per second.
Even with Formula One driver-like reflexes and less than the normal human reaction time of two seconds (yes it is, tests have repeatedly shown what it is in an unexpected situation...you're human), you're going to cover maybe 30 meters before even hitting the brake pedal. Two seconds is a reasonable time if you stare at your watch and notice it tick by, but when you're doing other things (like controlling a car in traffic) two seconds is gone in a flash and you would swear it's way less a time than it is.

Look ahead down the road 30 meters...that's a looong way to travel. One stupid old road safety commercial used to show as one example a person stepping out from between parked cars right in front of a car and getting hit. Shockingly they blamed the car driver, saying "Slow down".
Slow down? Slow DOWN? The trigger to go for the brakes in the instance they showed would have been the thud when the idiot stepped right in front of the car. Your foot would have still been on the accelerator when it happened.

Too many people assume that if the "surprise" moment ever happens to them they will have god like reflexes and be on the brake pedal in a poofteenth of a second and bring the car to an amazingly controlled stop saving everyone!
Drive like that isn't going to happen.
Accept that your reaction time is limited by basic human physiology, failings and weaknesses, and drive accordingly. Look ahead (but not too far ahead, dangers can pop up close to you as well), try to anticipate, but also realise that if someone does do something foolish like step out in front of you, come through a stop sign, or you crest a rise on the highway at 100kph and find some idiot doing a u-turn (as I did a while back on the motorbike...a police camera van actually...) there might just be little you can do about it but try to hit the brakes as best you can and hope for the best.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #125
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Driving with a safety margin in the sticks at night saves lives, if you cant react & stop / slow down you are going too fast. Simple physics hey! Drive within your capabilities not your car's capabilities, in most cases the two don't match up imo.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #126
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Thats easier said than done

I drive at 100km/h in NZ at night. The whole South Island is classed as rural .

Last edited by 99AUXR; 29-11-2015 at 11:37 AM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #127
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
This is easier said than done.
What night driving on a unlit bush road at 7/10's instead of 9/10's? Well, depending on age i can agree with that!!! How much more do young people pay for car insurance again.....

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #128
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

See we dont really have much bush road in the South Island.

Also our insurance isnt compulsary here so it apears to be cheaper than similar cases in Aus. Think I get full cover on modified car at age of 22. . . . $1K P.A

But I guess we cannot compare our roads to yours, we don't have roos but have wallabies. Few years back a guy in an older Porsche was traveling late at night came around a corner and hit a deer. Thats just unlucky
Old 29-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #129
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
See we dont really have much bush road in the South Island.

Also our insurance isnt compulsary here so it apears to be cheaper than similar cases in Aus. Think I get full cover on modified car at age of 22. . . . $1K P.A

But I guess we cannot compare our roads to yours, we don't have roos but have wallabies. Few years back a guy in an older Porsche was traveling late at night came around a corner and hit a deer. Thats just unlucky
Stupid blind corners

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 29-11-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 30-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #130
Harrison

The 2 - 4 sec reaction time is for a driver cruising merrily along with foot on throttle then an unexpected hazard suddenly presents itself.

That driver in the clip should have been off the gas with his foot hovering (if not lightly pressing) the brake pedal 2-4 secs after noticing the approaching driver frantically flashing his lights.

If you don't agree with this then, to be quite honest, you probably should avoid driving on unlit country roads until you get some common sense.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #131
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The 2 - 4 sec reaction time is for a driver cruising merrily along with foot on throttle then an unexpected hazard suddenly presents itself.

That driver in the clip should have been off the gas with his foot hovering (if not lightly pressing) the brake pedal 2-4 secs after noticing the approaching driver frantically flashing his lights.

If you don't agree with this then, to be quite honest, you probably should avoid driving on unlit country roads until you get some common sense.
Spot on by the time the guy was flashing his lights in a frenzy I would be lucky if I was still travelling at 50-60km/hr by the time he got to me, and proceeding carefully to work out what the problem was which could have been one of plenty of options, broken down vehicle suck in the dark, road washed away, tree over road, accident, wildlife, etc

Personally I can not comprehend how someone gets an urgent warning like that on a remote stretch of road and chooses to completely ignore it.

I could completely understand this accident happening if there was no advanced warning given well in advance.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: