Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #151
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
, pot belly resplendent, I fall asleep counting all the positives!
My belly grumbles in agreement with thee! *rubs stomach filled with freshly carved roast beef and chips*
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #152
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Well my first real milestone has finally come about, thanks to lots of support from both family, friends and especially people here on the forums, in particular, Jason[98.EL] who has offered lots of advice and support both on and off the forums, even though we've never met face to face.

It has officially been a month since my last ciggy, and to mark that month, I found a bloody ciggy in my other car while cleaning it out... and promptly threw it in the bin!

Go back a month and I wouldn't have cared how long it had been sitting there, or what had been on the floor, I would have smoked it.

Not including my slip up, its been 5 and a half weeks, and I'm still getting cravings, but from what I've saved in smokes I put towards my major service and it nearly covered the whole thing! Pretty good incentive eh?
thanks mate

great will power and even better result

the service on the car is only the begining

you are doing well i am also still of the ciggies

i actually feel ill now if i smell them and need to walk away from people that are smoking

keep up the good work

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #153
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

grandpa_spec_au pm sent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #154
adelaidecrows02

Well I have debated all night about putting some here, but finally decided that it's best if I do because it adds to the commitment. Am 41, and have been smoking since 14. I have now increased to 40 a day, and I hate it, hate it alot. I dont enjoy it once each day, and am disgusted by it. But I cant f#$%ing stop. It has been exceptionally hard on previous occassions, but I need to try again. I am not a weak person, but this is such a horrible addiction.

Anyways, Wednesday is the day I start. No reason why I chose this day, but I did it 2 weeks ago. From what I have read on the quit website, it can be a good thing selecting a day/date.

My choice of assistance this time is Champix (could be Champax but the prescription is inside..), so hopefully this helps. Has anyone had experience with this drug? If so, is there anything I need to know about in advance?

I really want to do this, if not for me but my almost 4 year old. I really wanna be able to kick the footy with him when he is in his teens.

Cheers
Old 24-08-2010, 12:32 AM   #155
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Public thanks to Jason again for helping me out on Sunday, been going through some family stuff which has bought the cravings on in force. I was literally about to grab the car keys and go down the servo but thankfully a speedy reply to a recovering addict made all the difference Thanks again mate

adelaidecrows02, we're a good lot on here, if you need anything just ask

I went on the gum myself and it's done wonders, but I haven't been smoking as long as others on here such as yourself however I think everyone finds their own way of doing it. I tried cold turkey a number of times... only to last a couple of days and smoke half a pack the next! It's coming up on 5 weeks very soon for me, feels great
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 24-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #156
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Public thanks to Jason again for helping me out on Sunday, been going through some family stuff which has bought the cravings on in force. I was literally about to grab the car keys and go down the servo but thankfully a speedy reply to a recovering addict made all the difference Thanks again mate
as i said mate it is no problem it is after all only a message and or a phone call

even posting here is no issue

I am just glad that i can help you through the tough times

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #157
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidecrows02
Well I have debated all night about putting some here, but finally decided that it's best if I do because it adds to the commitment. Am 41, and have been smoking since 14. I have now increased to 40 a day, and I hate it, hate it alot. I dont enjoy it once each day, and am disgusted by it. But I cant f#$%ing stop. It has been exceptionally hard on previous occassions, but I need to try again. I am not a weak person, but this is such a horrible addiction.

Anyways, Wednesday is the day I start. No reason why I chose this day, but I did it 2 weeks ago. From what I have read on the quit website, it can be a good thing selecting a day/date.

My choice of assistance this time is Champix (could be Champax but the prescription is inside..), so hopefully this helps. Has anyone had experience with this drug? If so, is there anything I need to know about in advance?

I really want to do this, if not for me but my almost 4 year old. I really wanna be able to kick the footy with him when he is in his teens.

Cheers
Whatever it takes to break the cycle, then it's worth it. I haven't tried any of the medications, but from people I know who have, the feedback is good. What I can say that I share with you is I HATED me smoking! I honestly am not fussed with others doing it. Doesn't faze me. I am focussed on my own goal to be free of the dependence, and that's the best feeling of all! For you it would be especially so with the responsibility for a young child.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #158
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Well so much for my great start - did 8 weeks cold turkey and now been back on them for a few weeks on and off.......

Going to start again tomorrow............have patches and chewies but would rather not use 'em.

We'll see - fingers crossed.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #159
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001
Well so much for my great start - did 8 weeks cold turkey and now been back on them for a few weeks on and off.......

Going to start again tomorrow............have patches and chewies but would rather not use 'em.

try champix i think they are subied by the fed gov so you should only pay $5.40 for them

If not just keep trying
have a look at this web site i didnt know about this when i was trying to give up but it looks great
http://www.keepquitting.org.au/?s_kw...FQy3bwodzjJltw

hope it helps

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #160
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers
Firstly I wish you luck with it. I have been off the smokes now for about 2 months using Champix. I was about 30-40 a day. I actually found them to really help alot. At first I didn't think they were doing anything as I was still smoking just as much as before them. (You smoke while taking Champix for first week, and then quit in your second week).

My wife has told me on a number of occasions that I seem a lot more laid back and relaxed than usual. I have had a few flareups, but far less than cold turkey. At no point during a flare up have I thought of having the customary calm down smoke. I have however felt that I am more calm now.

I am now on my last week of taking Champix, and so far I feel great. The last few days I have spent working with 3-4 smokers, indoors and close by, and thought how much they stunk. We will see how I go next week without the pills. If I need to, I will get another 2 month pack. It beats smoking.

For side effects. I have heard that some people may experience depression. I have also heard that others may experience mood swings and the like. I guess it depends on the person. Everyone is different after all. If you got a brochure with them, have a read, or look up the website for more info on side effects. I didn't do this. I thought I would see how I went first.

Also, if you find it hard, or have side effects, you may need to go back to your Doctor to see if there is any other assistance they can give you. Also, if you need moral support, post here, or send one of us a PM.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
try champix i think they are subied by the fed gov so you should only pay $5.40 for them

If not just keep trying
have a look at this web site i didnt know about this when i was trying to give up but it looks great
http://www.keepquitting.org.au/?s_kw...FQy3bwodzjJltw

hope it helps

Jason
Hi Jason, not sure about Melbourne, but here in Brisbane, it is a 2 stage prescription. The first prescription is for 1 month, and the second prescription is for 2 months. Each prescription cost me $33. If I want a further 2 months after the program, then it is not subsidised. That costs approx. $250.

Also, if you relapse in less than 12 months, and require another prescription, then you will not get the subsidy. If more than 12 months, then the subsidy is reinstated.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #161
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001

Just remember Sarge:

YOU CAN DO IT.

Last edited by 04redxr8; 24-08-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: video didn't work.
Old 24-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #162
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8

Hi Jason, not sure about Melbourne, but here in Brisbane, it is a 2 stage prescription. The first prescription is for 1 month, and the second prescription is for 2 months. Each prescription cost me $33. If I want a further 2 months after the program, then it is not subsidised. That costs approx. $250.

Also, if you relapse in less than 12 months, and require another prescription, then you will not get the subsidy. If more than 12 months, then the subsidy is reinstated.
you will find it is the same as it is the fed gov that gives the subsidy

I have a health care card so i get it at the $5.40 i thought it would be that price with the subsidy

Jason

p.s i would sudgest getting the second months as it states that you should complete the full course

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #163
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the second months. 1 week left to finish whole course. However, it has been suggested that if wanted, a an extra 2 months would not hurt. (5 month course in total).

It is an option, if I should feel weak. I am very positive though, and with the exception of a cold that won't go away, I feel great.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #164
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
(You smoke while taking Champix for first week, and then quit in your second week).

Also, if you find it hard, or have side effects, you may need to go back to your Doctor to see if there is any other assistance they can give you. Also, if you need moral support, post here, or send one of us a PM.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Ned
Thanks very much Ned, I will be sure to participate in this thread when it all starts. I actually went and had my prescription filled today, and the chemist did say to me to wait a week before I actually stopped the ciggies, but to try and reduce (which will be quite difficult for at). Anyways I will start the tablets tomorrow and make monday my starting point of no tobacco.

Appreciate the support.

Craig
Old 24-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #165
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have the second months. 1 week left to finish whole course. However, it has been suggested that if wanted, a an extra 2 months would not hurt. (5 month course in total).

It is an option, if I should feel weak. I am very positive though, and with the exception of a cold that won't go away, I feel great.
ahh o/k

justkeep up the great work guys

just think of the money and the health side of things and use that as a reason for giving up

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #166
adelaidecrows02

Day 3 of the Champix, and 4 days till the smoking stops. Not feeling anything yet from the Champix, not sure if I am supposed to?
Old 27-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #167
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Day 3 of the Champix, and 4 days till the smoking stops. Not feeling anything yet from the Champix, not sure if I am supposed to?
not yet you wont

they take about 5 days for the stuff in them to get into your system

you will know when it does because you will find that you go longer between wanting a smoke then you will beging to feel a tad ill then you will not want another smoke

that is how it went for me anyway

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #168
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Something strange I've found in the last few days, is that pretending to smoke with say, one of those lolly "fad sticks" or even with something resembeling a smoke will calm my nerves more so than chewing the gum. Anyone else experience this?
Old 27-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #169
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I experienced that mate...
I found even holding my zippo and flicking it a couple of times calmed me down...!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #170
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Something strange I've found in the last few days, is that pretending to smoke with say, one of those lolly "fad sticks" or even with something resembeling a smoke will calm my nerves more so than chewing the gum. Anyone else experience this?
I agree. Handling a tobacco product real or fake, without lighting it is OK and satisfies an urge of sorts. Its kinda like driving past a place you used to live, just for a look but knowing you can't go in there anymore. Well I still have over half a pack of cigs, a couple of mini-cigars on the fridge, plus two unopened packs in my boot that I bought just the day before I decided to quit on April 30. Also somewhere I have a big box of genuine Cuban cigars my sister sent me from a trip to Havana. Crying shame really, but I do not have slightest desire to use any of them. I must give them away. I do like the fresh aroma of them - unlit! Similar to smelling freshly ground coffee.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #171
Falcman0o7
Banned

Well done to alot of you blokes. I gave up 10 months ago! Hell yeh! I was on my way to work and thought about my 4 kids and how i wouldn't want them to see me die of cancer or lose me. So i flicked my smoke out the window and the rest is history! Mind you it took me 3 months for my body to recover, Chest infection after chest infection! :( bringing all the CRAP up. 7 months later and i have never felt better! And i haven't been crook for ages.

To those giving up GOOD LUCK. It takes time but time is all it takes.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #172
Skotty
Banned

Well today hopefully will be me last day I hope... I'm about to get a pack.. But I did stuff up and had a smoke thismorning... Going to leave that little sucker on my computer desk... I'm trying to give myself a insentive to quit... which is if I quit I'll be able to get my new home theater amp, and 46" LCD..

The hard part for me is I do go crusing alot and my mates I go crusing with smoke in the car... But the flip side of the coin is I won't be leaving me mates cars smelling like ash trays anymore lol!

Edit: Kristo - How's spraking the zippo work for you?... Alltho I do find that when I get a craving (eventho I still smoke).. Striking the zippo up if I can get one is good.. probablly because I associate the zippo with having a durry...

Last edited by Skotty; 27-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #173
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
Well today hopefully will be me last day I hope... I'm about to get a pack.. But I did stuff up and had a smoke thismorning... Going to leave that little sucker on my computer desk... I'm trying to give myself a insentive to quit... which is if I quit I'll be able to get my new home theater amp, and 46" LCD..

The hard part for me is I do go crusing alot and my mates I go crusing with smoke in the car... But the flip side of the coin is I won't be leaving me mates cars smelling like ash trays anymore lol!
Good luck mate. There are sooooooo many benifets to not smoking, You won't even think of them after a couple of months. I mean NEVER.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #174
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Good luck mate. There are sooooooo many benifets to not smoking, You won't even think of them after a couple of months. I mean NEVER.
haha yeah... Might have a good gaming session on the PS3 then too... Me mates hate it they are non-smokers and we playing online on PS3, and I'm constantly going outside for a smoke!
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #175
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't feel any different at all. I set day 11 as my quit day and smoked any way, just because I felt no different. On day 12, I decided I wouldn't buy a packet, and I haven't had a smoke since. Been just over 2 months now.

It was strange, but the transition was so easy, I can't remember myself as a smoker now.

Just think positive, and you will make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Well done to alot of you blokes. I gave up 10 months ago! Hell yeh! I was on my way to work and thought about my 4 kids and how i wouldn't want them to see me die of cancer or lose me. So i flicked my smoke out the window and the rest is history! Mind you it took me 3 months for my body to recover, Chest infection after chest infection! :( bringing all the CRAP up. 7 months later and i have never felt better! And i haven't been crook for ages.

To those giving up GOOD LUCK. It takes time but time is all it takes.
I can so relate to the bold section. Had the same last time I quit, having the same again now. It is worth it though.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #176
adelaidecrows02

ok, day 8 of the Champix, and in the next day or two will offload the tobacco intake. Having said this I am some what nervous, as I am not feeling anything at all from the tablets, and am scared that I will be going cold turkey.....
Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #177
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok, day 8 of the Champix, and in the next day or two will offload the tobacco intake. Having said this I am some what nervous, as I am not feeling anything at all from the tablets, and am scared that I will be going cold turkey.....
you will be fine

just think that you dont need them and you will do o/k

you will do fine

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #178
adelaidecrows02

ok here we go - day 13 of champix and day 1 of no fags.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #179
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok here we go - day 13 of champix and day 1 of no fags.

Good luck mate.

I was worried that i wouldn't make it either but i am still smoke free.

Keep strong and remember to post here we will listen and help out where we can.

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #180
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Took a bit of a backward step the last month, been having a couple a day, don't know why was doin well, felt great, anyway starting again today, It wasnt until the other day that I actually realized how good I was feeling to be off them. Started feeling like crap again.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post