Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #151
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: Australia Trip

Yeah, I got that, and like I said, he's very philosophical.

But then he decides to tell Jimmy he's on his own and disappear. (But that was after Jimmy found out what had happened to him.)

I must say, I've never seen an American gangster wearing shorts. I think that taught me something about Australian culture.
Old 18-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #152
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: Australia Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
He was very philosophical, but I didn't really understand his part in the story.

Tonight I watched Romper Stomper. It was less fun than Two Hands. It was less fun than Rabbit-Proof Fence!

But hey, now I've seen Melbourne!

I've still got Chopper, The Interview, and The Man from Snowy River to watch. (I've already seen Mad Max, The Sundowners, The Proposition, Walkabout, and Young Einstein, so that should about do it!)
If you can get them watch the following

The Castle
Spotswood
The Nugget
Sunday Too Far Away
The Shirlee
The Dish
Emoh Ruo
The Big Steal
Puberty Blues
Monkey Grip
Dimboola
Stork
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
The FJ Holden
Death In Brunswick
Theyr'e A Weird Mob
Silent Partner
Les Patterson Saves The World

And one of the best ever Australian films about typical life in suburban Australia " Return Home " , pure GOLD

And if you truly want to get a handle on us Aussies Barry Humphries " Flashbacks "
Old 18-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #153
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

without reading the entire thread, I would also say that there is more to Australia than the EAST coast , and some outback.

perhaps a visit to South Australia or even West Australia, may be included in an Australian visit.

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide may help give the size some perspective.

It sounds a little to me like me saying I visited the United States of America, because I saw Lincoln, Nebraska and then drove to Canada
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #154
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
without reading the entire thread, I would also say that there is more to Australia than the EAST coast , and some outback.

perhaps a visit to South Australia or even West Australia, may be included in an Australian visit.

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide may help give the size some perspective.

It sounds a little to me like me saying I visited the United States of America, because I saw Lincoln, Nebraska and then drove to Canada

Give the guy a break , he's got very limited time and has things like Bathurst locked in .
Old 18-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #155
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now I'm trying to buy my Bathurst ticket and I can't get the Ticketek site to work. It tells me I either haven't ordered enough adjacent seats (for my one general admission ticket?) or that other people are completing their transactions. Grrr.
Hopefully it's just the result of high demand. Being the 50th anniversary, it could be a record breaking crowd attendance.

When you do make it over here in September to October, don't be surprised if you get swooped by attacking birds. It's mainly the Magpies that are known for it, but there are a number of other birds that can get quite aggressive if you go near their nests too.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #156
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

The ticketing issue may have been as a result of Soundwave tickets that went on sale that day. Flooded the system.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #157
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
You mean I could just go to Lincoln and skip that long flight to Sydney? Dang.

I've got to fly in and out somewhere, you know. If you'd like to subsidize my exploration of your country, I'm sure we could work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
When you do make it over here in September to October, don't be surprised if you get swooped by attacking birds. It's mainly the Magpies that are known for it, but there are a number of other birds that can get quite aggressive if you go near their nests too.
You don't work for the Ministry of Tourism, do you? Just when I've reconciled myself to crocs, deadly snakes, killer spiders and scorpions, box stingers, and sharks, you tell me I have to worry about magpies, too?

I haven't tried Ticketek in several hours. I guess I'll keep trying.
Old 19-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #158
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Have any of you ever taken the Ghan train between Adelaide and Alice Springs? My guidebook says it's a 20-hour ride. That would probably give me my fill of desert.
Old 19-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #159
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Or how about the same train between Darwin and Alice Springs?

And can someone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Sydney (that offers airport shuttle service)? I figure I should definitely book that in advance—I'll be severely jet lagged.
Old 19-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #160
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Have any of you ever taken the Ghan train between Adelaide and Alice Springs? My guidebook says it's a 20-hour ride. That would probably give me my fill of desert.
Similar but I sent my mummy dearest to Adelaide from Melbourne on The Overland and it was like 13 hours or something from Melbourne to Adelaide, she really liked it, lots of scenery.

Only problem on the way there a train broke down on the line and held them up for a hour or two until they could get it moving again.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #161
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Ouch. Those trains aren't cheap, either.
Old 19-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #162
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Moby you are better off looking for accomodation through online booking sites such as wotif.com.au. Their are others, but that one is pretty good and has a great decription with all the hotels etc.

You can snag some really good hotels when booking online.

Cheers
Col
Old 19-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #163
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ouch. Those trains aren't cheap, either.
I was about to say, "shyte you have lots of money", but you found the price list -
Old 19-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #164
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

But what is a good location?

Ideally I could catch a free shuttle from the airport, and then either be close to a hop-on/off bus station or have a free shuttle to that.

Today I've actually started trying to figure out an itinerary, and it's not easy! Bathurst has thrown a wrench into it. I've got nearly a week and a half between arrival and the race, but Bathurst doesn't seem to be very far from Sydney.

I'm thinking of spending a few days in Sydney, then going to ACT, then driving a loop suggested by my guidebook (but opposite to the way they suggest) that will end around Dubbo—not far from Bathurst.

Then I have to figure out how best to get anywhere else interesting from Bathurst. I'm thinking Brisbane or Cairns should be my next destination.
Old 19-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #165
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I was about to say, "shyte you have lots of money", but you found the price list -
I'm thinking of one long train ride through desert. That way I get to see it but I minimize the risk (unless the train breaks down).

The book I read (In a Sunburned Country) strongly cautioned against riding coach on a long train ride in Australia (even though the author never rode coach!).
Old 19-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #166
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You don't work for the Ministry of Tourism, do you? Just when I've reconciled myself to crocs, deadly snakes, killer spiders and scorpions, box stingers, and sharks, you tell me I have to worry about magpies, too?
haha no, I'm not from the tourism industry. I went for a walk yesterday and saw Plovers with their young on the ground and remembered it's almost the season when birds swoop. An American actor on a talk show (it was either Jim Parsons, or Chris Hardwick), got swooped by a Magpie during a visit here and described it as an Australian drive-by. So I thought anyone who visits Australia should know about the tendencies our Magpies among other birds have.

But I can assure you that you will never need to worry about Crocs, providing you don't go swimming around Darwin or North QLD if you head up that way.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #167
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... when in Sydney .... I am sure a number of us can organise a meet up for sorts ... or tour guiding if someone may have the time as well.

Bathurst is about 3 hours from Sydney (depending on what time you leave Sydney though) ... our road system in the Sydney metro area is average at best when it comes to congestion and planning layout.

ACT is worth a look around ... it's a nice looking place ... and some good places to visit (War Memorial ... there's a guided tour thing of all of the International Embassies as they have some impressive buildings to see) ... then the Parliament Houses (Old and new) ... and just the surrounds around the man-made lake which is the centre of the town.

If going to Bathurst ... see if you can get the time to head out to Mudgee as well (only if you get the time though).

Got a rough idea on your itinerary????
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #168
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you have some time in Melbourne you should check out the Fox Museum at Docklands, he has some impressive cars in there:

http://www.foxcollection.org.au/

Its about a 10 minute walk from Southern Cross station, also the Kangan Institute Automotive TAFE is on the same area if you want to go for a tour and check out the facilities, there is some fairly amazing stuff in there.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #169
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I arrive in Sydney around 8:00 in the morning on 24 September. I'm sure I'll waste that day sleeping.

I figure I'll spend a few days there, then go to ACT. If I follow the itinerary in the guide book (well, the opposite of what's in the book), I'll go to Wagga Wagga next, and then Broken Hill (even though the guidebook doesn't mention the Mad Max Museum!), and then Dubbo.

From there it's Bathurst from 4 through 7 October. After that I'm thinking Brisbane to Cairns, or possibly straight to Cairns after Bathurst.

Then it gets cloudier. Darwin next? Alice Springs? Uluru?

I was thinking maybe if I went from Cairns to Darwin, then I could take the train to Alice Springs, then go to Uluru (possibly just take an aerial tour), and then maybe fly either to Perth or Adelaide.

If I fly to Perth, after that I guess I could fly to Adelaide, and then drive to Melbourne. Sometime when I'm in the Melbourne area I'll venture to Geelong—I'd like to see the Ford plant even if I can't tour it.

But I've got to price all this stuff! All I know for sure is that I fly out of Melbourne on 22 October.
Old 20-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #170
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I was thinking maybe if I went from Cairns to Darwin, then I could take the train to Alice Springs, then go to Uluru (possibly just take an aerial tour), and then maybe fly either to Perth or Adelaide.
You will probably find that the train is more expensive than flying. Have you thought of renting a car ?
Old 20-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #171
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hello Moby Vic since yesterday i'm gonna be doing a similar trip to yours except on more of a budget (back packer style) minus canberra and bathurst and thought mabye you'd like to meet up at sometime as i know a reasonable amount about this country and may be able to help you with decisions of what you'd like to do apart from the aforementioned places although i can say i will be flying to most places not driving and possibly the XPT train for outback NSW and QLD if you like send a pm my way and we could try arranging something totally upto you but stuff is generally cheaper with 2 people instead of just one.

Cheers
Mr.NiceGuy
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #172
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
possibly the XPT train for outback NSW and QLD
There is no XPT Train for country NSW. It's a Country link Bus service run from the main Syd/Melb line
Old 20-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #173
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
There is no XPT Train for country NSW. It's a Country link Bus service run from the main Syd/Melb line
doesn't the XPT go out to Wagga Wagga i thought it did?
Old 20-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #174
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
doesn't the XPT go out to Wagga Wagga i thought it did?
Yes, but we're on the Syd/Melb line, if you want to go west from here it's a bus trip from the station
Old 20-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #175
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahhh right i see thanks for the info i'd only be stopping at wagga to see family on the way to melbourne haha i thought wagga was outback NSW ....
Old 20-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #176
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
You will probably find that the train is more expensive than flying. Have you thought of renting a car ?
Yes, I am sure I will be driving quite a lot. But I'd rather not drive through the desert alone! I was thinking one scenic train ride would be nice.

Driving on the other side of the road will definitely be a learning experience.
Old 20-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #177
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Yes, I am sure I will be driving quite a lot. But I'd rather not drive through the desert alone! I was thinking one scenic train ride would be nice.

Driving on the other side of the road will definitely be a learning experience.
My two cents , Aussie is by far a fly to major town and hire car kinda country , our trains are slow as are our bus systems ..unlike Europe which has awesome travel options , I travel a lot of aus regular enough on the east side to tell you. Do small trips from big places ie .Sydney bathurst go back to Sydney via any route , and do the same elsewhere, planes up Queensland way have some terrible links / routes so stick with townsville/ cairns you can see the barrier reef its a must and the rainforests up cairns are something else , flights and tours are reasonable out to ayres rock , plenty of tours as well .Melbourne well its got some awesome country side and a drive up dandenongs or great
I ocean road over a couple days is good to .I find most museums a small time filler and try to focus more on location but that's just me .I know a lot of people have already said pm them but do the same for me if you like ..enjoy
Old 20-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #178
Fantome

Western NSW train services are XPT to Dubbo or Xplorer Sydney to Broken Hill. That service might be an option for a return from outback NSW i.e. Broken Hill to Bathurst. Another thing you might look at is the QR (Queensland Rail) Spirit of the Outback to Longreach. Both these operators are far cheaper than Great Southern Railway, operators of the Ghan and Indian Pacific in that they sell basic transport where as GSR are into selling "a total rail experience" and charge accordingly.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #179
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

What I'm thinking as of this moment (subject to change) is spending a few days in Sydney, then heading to ACT (a reasonable day's drive, or should I fly, or is there a reasonable train for that?), then doing what I mentioned above prior to Bathurst.

After Bathurst I think I may fly from Dubbo to Darwin (that means Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef are out, though), then catch the Ghan to Alice Springs (the sleeper seats aren't too expensive, and it's not many more hours than I'll be spending stuck in a plane flying overseas), then go to Uluru (assuming I can find accommodations), then fly to Adelaide, and then drive to Melbourne.

So I lose Cairns and Perth, but I think I see quite a bit, and I imagine Darwin is a bit less touristy than Cairns and the Reef.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #180
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the last thing you wanna be doing is dropping Cairns for Darwin Cairns is far better then darwin plus in cairns you have the reef, the only place in the world where world heritage listed forestry meets world heritage listed ocean you also get awesome beaches like palmcove that has one alot of awards in its lifetime, and several other things like the tablelands, kuranda and a lagoon witch is loosely the shape of QLD. whereas Darwin has Crocodiles, fish feeding, bury springs, and not much else.