Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #181
aye you
The Origional, The Best

so ugly the earth repels it...
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #182
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Here's something some of you guys may get a kick out of.
It's a podcast interview that some mates did with Captain Eric Moody; the pilot who flew that BA 747 over Indonesia when all 4 engines quit.
It does the interview, and the post incident analysis of how some procedures have changed in the transition of 3 person to 2 person cockpit, CRM, as well as a host of other interesting facts.

http://www.flightpodcast.com/episode-1-eric-moody

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #183
aye you
The Origional, The Best

me shooting a straight in approach at Millingimbi earlier this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPGlgMVvDc

not 10mins later we were rained in for the night

Old 24-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #184
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Has anyone watched ice pilots? I thought it was a good show. Not into reality programmes much but I loved the old planes.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #185
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Here's some Photos for the CA boys:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #186
Spudz27
Call me Spud

One of my favourite pictures. Mainly because it has both an Ansett and Qantas 747 in the one photo. I have just agreed to pay someone $300U.S to custom build me a 1:200 Ansett 747.

Old 24-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #187
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Speaking to my my mates brother on the weekend, he is down from Nowra NSW, he flies a 767 for Qantas, mostly domestic, used to do a bit of NZ and Pacific before Jetstar took over, he loves the old 767's even though they are getting long in the tooth.
Old 24-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #188
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Has anyone watched ice pilots? I thought it was a good show. Not into reality programmes much but I loved the old planes.
Not to bad is it

the old birds in the show are great

the problem they have is parts are getting harder to get so they are looking for newer planes to replace the oldies

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #189
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
One of my favourite pictures. Mainly because it has both an Ansett and Qantas 747 in the one photo. I have just agreed to pay someone $300U.S to custom build me a 1:200 Ansett 747.

Just checking the photo to make sure the nose gear was down.
I remember being there when they picked the 747 up off the runway in Sydney in 1994, the grooved runway acted as a big metal file, grinding the skin panels down where they were supported by the stringers and frames, leaving the 'soft' panels inbetween intact. All the skin panels then fell onto the runway with a big clatter when the fuselage was lifted. The double-curved main bulkhead and structure toward the front (cant remember the station number) copped the worst, being ground down to about 75mm to a flat surface.
Metal filings went about 300m or so back down the runway to where it first touched down on its nose.
Then the next 3 months or so spent repairing it with the Boeing AOG team.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #190
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some of PJ's stuff from NZ:

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #191
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Not to bad is it

the old birds in the show are great

the problem they have is parts are getting harder to get so they are looking for newer planes to replace the oldies

Jason

Man the rampies go through some ****. I felt really bad for Jeremy (I think) always getting **** on, and the whole idea of the girl getting preference annoyed me. I am not sure where foxtel is up to but I got impatient and downloaded all of season 1. There is a season 2 coming. Flying the CL-215's in winter was crazy ****.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #192
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Man the rampies go through some ****. I felt really bad for Jeremy (I think) always getting **** on, and the whole idea of the girl getting preference annoyed me. I am not sure where foxtel is up to but I got impatient and downloaded all of season 1. There is a season 2 coming. Flying the CL-215's in winter was crazy ****.
I had some trouble sourcing that show early on so never watched it. where did you get yours from ED? Would be very interested to watch that looked cool on the ads i saw...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #193
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Speaking to my my mates brother on the weekend, he is down from Nowra NSW, he flies a 767 for Qantas, mostly domestic, used to do a bit of NZ and Pacific before Jetstar took over, he loves the old 767's even though they are getting long in the tooth.
Yes they are getting a bit old now (not from the perspective of being unsafe or unsuited for the role either for that matter) particularly in the area of passenger comfort and amenities. Of course qantas made an attempt to clean them up inside with new interiors (not all have it though) but they have the old style to them (no seat back or overhead tv etc.)

Sadly, the 767 in qantas use is no longer the medium-long range thin route aircraft it used to be. The internatoinl spec aircraft wtih the bigger galleys and dreamtime business seating are being phased out and its mostly cityflyer warhorse from here on in. I didnt' realise that pretty much all NZ flying is stopped now for the 767 and i think apart from syd-honolulu (is it still going??), perth-narita and maybe one other its all over for international flying. Still got plenty of transcons and up to darwin/cairns though.

Still i have spoken to a few pilots (i mean real ones not virtual FS jockeys like myself) and pretty much everyone loves flying it. Save from its finicky landing characteristics at times RE the flare its a real joy to handle especially on those cityflyer flights wtih light loads and sweet FA fuel. Big enough to have balls (with light loads mind) but nimble enough for congested airspace and tight VFR appraoches if you want to save some time....

It can also hold plenty of diversion/hold fuel if you want and is great for freight. I think QF has kept them so long not only because they are long since paid off but because it is the only aircraft of its size that can airfreight so much and still get turned around in time for a cityflyer sector. Whenever they tried the a330 they had no end of trouble getting it ready in anything less than 50 mins. No such problem for a 763 done in 30 tops most days.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #194
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I got the episodes from btjunkie or isohunt. I was able to get all 14 episodes for my boss only 5 days ago. I had only dl the last 5 for myself weeks ago, but my boss was interested and so I got the first 9 for him. So as of 5 days ago you could DL them all and I had them in less than 4 hours.
Old 25-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #195
MexicanBatman
Banned

We were easily able to do30min a330 turns for a domestic route, but nil freight and only about half a dozen bag cans. Mel-cns it was, and probably will be again in summer time

I could also do a full fit turn in a short time but the girls can't get the people on and off as fast as we can strip and load...

Syd-hnl is jetstar a330 now
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #196
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
We were easily able to do30min a330 turns for a domestic route, but nil freight and only about half a dozen bag cans. Mel-cns it was, and probably will be again in summer time

I could also do a full fit turn in a short time but the girls can't get the people on and off as fast as we can strip and load...

Mel-cns was an interesting use of the a330. i was on a a330-300 one time from bris-cns when it first entered the fleet. that was fun. QF use cns alot of trialing out new aircraft because it has domestic gates (3 of them atcuallly but not sure they still have that many after the redevelopment) that are suited for large size aircraft.

I was told that info a few years back but i know for sure it was freight that was holding them up more so. Even if you can get the freight and people under control they ran into issue with brake temps getting too high on cityflyer runs. i.e. sitting at the gate for only say 45mins was not enough to allow the brakes to cool down enough on the aircraft to meet manufacturer requirements for the next takeoff. RTO (rejected take off) setting on the brakes is very demanding and without cooling fans (used overseas i believe) the airbus had alot of trouble with this issue....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #197
MexicanBatman
Banned

the most annoying thing i can think of about my job is the bloody annoying brake fans on the a320's

they are louder than the engines, i dont know why they turn them on once they are on the bay, i do believe they can run them when taxiing too..

obviously i know why they use them, but damn, start them up before you pull in to the gate...
Old 25-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #198
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
the most annoying thing i can think of about my job is the bloody annoying brake fans on the a320's

they are louder than the engines, i dont know why they turn them on once they are on the bay, i do believe they can run them when taxiing too..

obviously i know why they use them, but damn, start them up before you pull in to the gate...
hmm....are they standard fitment on those? i recently got off on a jetstar flight into bne and was walking off the rear stairs and when on the tarmac i noted crazy loud fan noise. I thought hmm, that is the noisiest aircon pack i've ever heard! I don't remember hearing that much noise in the past when walking around the a320....

I'm a little confused what you mean though. The integral blowers are on many aircraft types but the set on the a330s i've seen are put on as a separate unit at the gate. Looks like the short tunaround times have finally hit jetstar a bit hard there. There may also be some limitation on whetehr you can run them on taxi in.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #199
MexicanBatman
Banned

Nah I've pushed out heaps of planes and they run the brake fans whilst they taxi to the runway, trust me I stand under these things all day, the brake fans are loud bastards. Never paid attention to the a330 but I believe they also have integral brake fans too, well the JQ fleet does anyway I have seen other Asian 330s without them, but then jetstar dudes need all the brake cooling they can get. Man when it's a crew change some crews taxi in so fast they are almost sideways around the corner hard on the brakes and zoom off to the pub or somewhere else
Old 25-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #200
EBII Ghia

Quote:
QF still use 767 on SYD-HNL on Wed, Fri and Sun.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #201
aye you
The Origional, The Best

I can back up Andrew here, the brake fans are shocking on the 320/321's. even with ear protection on their shocking. Most of the crews into darwin have them on as they taxi into the bay so we don't generally get stung with the spool up noise.

Luckly now i spend more time in the airconed pushback tug than on the headset to really get annoyed by it

Old 25-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #202
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I had some trouble sourcing that show early on so never watched it. where did you get yours from ED? Would be very interested to watch that looked cool on the ads i saw...
demonoid also has it

complete series 1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #203
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

On the Nuremberg Ring:

RTV Power
Old 25-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #204
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well time for another picture of my latest acquisition. It is a 1:200 Fantasy model. It is a replica of the Trans Global Airlines 707 from the movie Airport. This is the replica of the aircraft stuck in the snow blocking the crippled one from landing.

As you can see I have pushed my space boundary for displaying models. With 5 more 1:200 scale arriving I now have to decide what to display. Looks like I may have to box up all my 1:400 models except a very select few.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #205
aye you
The Origional, The Best

nah just tack another shelf to the wall and keep going lol

Old 26-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #206
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 26-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #207
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
me shooting a straight in approach at Millingimbi earlier this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPGlgMVvDc

not 10mins later we were rained in for the night
Aahhh... memories of Millingimbi, one of gods little secret paradises, and you where so lucky getting to spend a night there....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #208
aye you
The Origional, The Best

we stayed in one of the doctors houses that was empty. brand new 3 bedroom, fully aircond, Austar in each room... and prison bars on every window.

Old 26-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #209
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Time lapse photo of AC-130 fire.
Old 26-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #210
Tavers

Hmm, well no 767's for Virgin Blue. Seems they're going the A332 route for domestic flying

http://australianaviation.com.au/a33...-expectations/
Tavers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post