Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #181
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah what a joke from Pakistans POV. What they thought the last day was a 20/20?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #182
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
yep a great win by australia, what an outstanding effort by hauritz . pakistan are truly pathetic.
Mate it works both ways we were pathetic at some stages.....great test and a good team win especially on home soil !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #183
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Mate it works both ways we were pathetic at some stages.....great test and a good team win especially on home soil !
Indeed. In the end it was good old fashioned test cricket features that got us home. Perseverance, determination and catches catches catches. Add to that a young and inexperienced Pakistan team and the pressure was too great. Feel sorry for them honestly....it will be a crushing loss.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #184
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i am glad i declined to finish my post earlier this morning - something about that idiot hussey - we need runs, not overs
obviously with the amount of balls he and vicious faced it did two things. we scored enough runs and it sapped the pakistani's momentum, confidence and effort
i have no doubt if the total was 100 or 250 the pakistani's would have walked it in

they were a bit unlucky though - last year when south africa were chasing 180, at least they had brett lee on their side bowling to smiths legs and giving them 30-40 free runs in a handful of overs
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #185
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What an awesome effort, especially by Watson, Hussey, Siddle & Hauritz. A great win and one if the great fightbacks.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #186
bingoTE50
Steve

Catches win matches ......fancy a keeper dropping four ( five ? ) at test level , terrible.
Good on Hussey , I thought he was finished - now North is under pressure .
North has too much of a backlift for my liking.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #187
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Great work by Hauritz. 5 for. If you had have put money on the aussies this morning, your odds would have been $9.40 for a win,.
I wont say how much I had on Australia, but I put my bet on at $10.90 for the win! This weekend will be a good one!!
:

Up the Aussies!
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #188
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Arr
I wont say how much I had on Australia, but I put my bet on at $10.90 for the win! This weekend will be a good one!!
:

Up the Aussies!
Ah a man who has such faith in the Aussies he's willing to put money down even when they appear to have no hope.

Rep for faith
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #189
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mind you the field placings by the Pakis gave us alot of free runs during the Huss's and Sid's partnership, Ponting must have been revving the boys up watching that.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #190
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sums it up in my view.
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #191
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pakistan lost the unlosable test, i think their tail in the first innings should hang their head in shame. The should have scored over 400 and been 300 odd in front. They are a young team but dam...thats one that got away.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #192
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
The really amazing thing is Glenn Mcgrath predicted yesterday Australia would win today by 37 runs. How good's that.

i was wondering if anyone else picked that up. great call.

man of match doesn't seem like a big enough award for hussey. absolute stellar effort, and it wouldn't have been possible without siddles effort to hang around.

be a few groggy aussies around the place tomorrow.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #193
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i remember a few summers ago, hussey was on 33 when mcgrath strode to the crease. hussey made 100+. not sure he is the same hussey that was batting back then but lets hope he can give our bowlers something.

if S.Waugh was striding to the crease with the team with their back to the wall, you'd almost put your house on him being there at stumps. if ever there was a captain who could pull out a captains knock when needed...

reminiscing gets you nowhere though.

where's bing? we need him! extra 10km/h, better line and length control and an unplayable inswinging yorker. sure he has a few bad balls but no more than the current crop. i guess his 'national duty' days are over. where's the next '150+km/h' bowler for australia?
Where's Bing ? Hopefully in retirement. Geez if they bring him back they may as well ask Lennie Pascoe or Merv Hughes if they want a run..........Nothing wrong with the mob they have now......
Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #194
gtxb67

Quote:
if S.Waugh was striding to the crease with the team with their back to the wall, you'd almost put your house on him being there at stumps. if ever there was a captain who could pull out a captains knock when needed...
it depends on when that captains knock was needed. steve waugh did most of his good work in the first innings and when the chips were down in the second, he generally didn't stand tall. justin langer was good at that, he was normally the only one who would do much when the pressure was on in the second innings

at one stage towards the end of his career (maybe for most of it) steve waugh's average was around 50, yet his first innings average was over 80 from memory. his second innings were rarely of the standard of his first. still one of our greatest ever players though
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #195
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Where's Bing ? Hopefully in retirement. Geez if they bring him back they may as well ask Lennie Pascoe or Merv Hughes if they want a run..........Nothing wrong with the mob they have now......

each to their own. personally i think lee is still a better bowler than the current mob. they all have bad days and these are the ones remembered.

the current mob?? nothing wrong??... sure it was a great win, but it was pakistan. we've just been pushed 5 days for the previous 3 tests by west indies and pakistan. sure we are winning but i'd hate to think the selectors are sitting back thinking they are right now for the next few years.

johnson needs a lot of work. very inconsistant. siddle and bollinger will run in all day and give you everything but they aren't that threatening. watson has backed off his pace a lot to preserve his body. to me there is no real variation between all the bowlers. all very similar.

where's the 'metronome' bowler. the boring mcgrath like bowler who just runs in and lands it in the perfect line and length for 6 balls?

hauritz is improving a lot but he's still not a massive threat either.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #196
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Someone had to have been throwing some coin around for that win...

Those fielding tactics were horrendous and then when they went in to bat...had like a day n a half to get the runs...and they just kept going for the tonk!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #197
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Someone had to have been throwing some coin around for that win...

Those fielding tactics were horrendous and then when they went in to bat...had like a day n a half to get the runs...and they just kept going for the tonk!
Yes, it is Pakistan we are talking about...................
Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #198
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Lee was the luckiest bowler. He had Warne and McGrath up the other end. A lot of wickets Lee got were from terrible balls. He can thank Mr Warne and Mr McGrath for many of his wickets. Hasn't he still got the record of 0-204 with his bowling........
Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #199
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
johnson needs a lot of work. very inconsistant. .
Lol, he is the leading wicket taker for the 09 year, and miles ahead of the next bloke, not bad for inconsistant.
He also scored over 500 runs.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #200
gtxb67

me personally, while the current brigade of bowlers are improving, they need to improve much more. while i do not think lee has been worse than the current bowlers, i do not think he has ever been much better
as buggerlugs suggested, if warnie and pidgeon are up one end, they need to take on someone which just happened to be lee. i could never accept how erratic he was, particularly down the leg side and how many times he took a wicket on a no ball. luckily for him, the no ball wickets he got were not picked half the time

i think that if the side is not kept, then only new blood should be coming in, not anyone from the the glory days

on the matter of ponting and clarke. it can be frustrating when both fail, but both have saved our buts on a number of occasions as well. he is after all our most succesful captain and over the last 3 seasons, he has lost mcgrath, langer, warne, hayden, martin, lee, gilchrist, macgill and no doubt others, and yet he still manages to win more than others
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #201
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Lol, he is the leading wicket taker for the 09 year, and miles ahead of the next bloke, not bad for inconsistant.
Exactly.......He only had a bad time in England because of his fruitloop mother...............
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #202
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Exactly.......He only had a bad time in England because of his fruitloop mother...............
Yet still one of the leading wicket takers on that tour.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #203
Paxton
Cobblers!

The Bushrangers are having their ***** handed to them in the T20.

Well done South Australia.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #204
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8

he takes wickets - correct, and in the last innings he got them at the right time, but often they come when the game is done. have a look at the leading run scorers and wicket takers for the last ashes series!! dominated by aussies with bat and ball and yet we lost the series.

RSA beat us here (sure we returned the favour) but johnson was still taking wickets then too.

statistics don't always paint a true picture.

he takes wickets now with balls that are all over the place. i'm yet to see him bowl one that isn't scrambled seam. you won't get swing (reverse or normal) if the seam is scrambled.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #205
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Taking wickets at the right time is great, but as we saw with the Aussie tail, every wicket has a value.

Take this last test, Pakistan took 20wkts but the last 2 were the toughest and cost them the game, some time it works for you, sometimes it doesn't.

Either way i doubt Pakistan will be too worried about Asif simply because he couldn't take the crucial Hussey wicket that cost them the game, neither did he dismiss any of the top 3 in the first innings.
What he did do was take 11 of the 20 on offer and thats a decent effort.

Same with Johnson, he may not get the critical wickets every time he bowls, but he often gets the break through when they are in trouble.

If i was the Australian coach id be happy with him in my side.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #206
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
he takes wickets - correct, and in the last innings he got them at the right time, but often they come when the game is done. have a look at the leading run scorers and wicket takers for the last ashes series!! dominated by aussies with bat and ball and yet we lost the series.

RSA beat us here (sure we returned the favour) but johnson was still taking wickets then too.

statistics don't always paint a true picture.

he takes wickets now with balls that are all over the place. i'm yet to see him bowl one that isn't scrambled seam. you won't get swing (reverse or normal) if the seam is scrambled.
Indeed. He gets wickets, i'll give him that. But his action, his way of bowling is far from impressive for me (and i've always felt that, when he first started and even when he was destroying South Africa...). Its skeetshooting....all over the place. Also some of his wickets are batsmen derived....sure its a skill to put pressure on the batsmen so he makes a mistake, but still.... I also think its a bit like McGrath/Warne situation. Warne took alot of wickets because McGrath was so tight and hard to score big off, that the batters had to go after S.K.Warne. They did, and they often made quite a few runs...but ultimately they paid for it. Warne himself has admitted that RE his bowling succes with McGrath at the other end...

I think Johson gets the same advantage, esp when guys like Siddle are banging them in at your the body area....when Johnson comes on bowling outside off all the time well they go after it, and knick it. Who gets the credit....Johnson or the guy that put the pressure on in the first place?

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #207
prydey
Rob

i'm not saying johnson is a bad bowler, he just needs work. he sprays them, he'll never swing it with a scrambled seam, he's lost a few yards of pace already.

he falls over in delivery a bit and his wrist position is wrong.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #208
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well Pakistan did crack it with Kamran Akmal.

He's off home...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cr...-1225817137422
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #209
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Well Pakistan did crack it with Kamran Akmal.

He's off home...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cr...-1225817137422
Probably with a large sum of cash in his back pocket
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #210
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Probably with a large sum of cash in his back pocket
Doubt it.....no one could intentionally be THAT bad

Although he was one of Australia's best out there