Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 23-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #181
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grrrrr... Me working.. : Anxiously awaiting any details from todays meeting!!!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #182
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Not much happening here, all quiet on the western front......not even a mouse.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #183
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep an eye on the old Mirsubishi facility at Tailem Bend...hear that there have been 3 expressions of interest... CAMS, SCCSA and the Motorplex group....
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #184
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Interesting. Be good to see something done this side of the millennium. :

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #185
COUPE 72
coupe 72

When will there be an anouncement? I hate having to leave the fate of the sport to government wollies that cant get anything right.
Old 17-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #186
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
Hey mate, any info from tony on whats happening? Next time ask him what ANDRA is doing to help with the track issue. Seems to be to much secret squirel business.
Unfortunatly, while he is a good friend, he's also tighter than a ducks butt when it comes down to ANDRA stuff. Doesn't stop me trying though!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #187
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grrrrr... Me working.. : Stuck at work for the protest rally :
Old 18-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #188
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
Unfortunatly, while he is a good friend, he's also tighter than a ducks butt when it comes down to ANDRA stuff. Doesn't stop me trying though!
I understand why they keep things close to their chest but its takin so long im affraid there will be no racers left in SA by the time they make an anouncement, i dont think the consortium wanted it out in the open this early intheir plans either. If Gilman doesnt work and we go to TB then we have wasted about four or five years. cmon ANDRA get the whip out and start floggin we gotta get this across the line.
Old 18-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #189
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'll go see him tonight, hopefully he's at home, and explain the obvious frustration of people being kept in the dark. Maybe he will reciprocate with some info!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 18-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #190
COUPE 72
coupe 72

He probobly wont be able to comment on any on going projects without permission because if something leaks out before its ready it could undermine their efforts but maybe hed be able to pass our concerns to the consortium. It would be good to know if anyone else is trying to get into TB or somewhere else for that matter.
Good luck tonight.
cheers Glenn.
Old 18-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #191
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

cheers bud. I'll get over there in a bit he's winding down usually around now so give him a bit to get over Friday work and I'll get some info hopefully.
Yeah I realize it's all tight lipped for them, but hopefully he'll realize how important it is to us.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 18-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #192
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Ask him whats ANDRA gunna do if this falls through.
Old 18-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #193
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
cheers bud. I'll get over there in a bit he's winding down usually around now so give him a bit to get over Friday work and I'll get some info hopefully.
Yeah I realize it's all tight lipped for them, but hopefully he'll realize how important it is to us.
Rock around with a slab and a decent bottle of scotch... yaaasnnnnoww mmaaaaate.. hiccup... aboout thut raaaacee trrrrackkkk... hiccup.. just try and remember what he says tho bud...
Old 19-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #194
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

ok he realizes this is important, but he said, a little firmly, it's just too confidential to say anything. If he did and I told you guys, and it got out then he'd be up sshhhh creek. He sympathized though and said he was "confident" for us.

Pottery....he doesn't drink!!! Hahahaha
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #195
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damnnn.. the truth serum wont work on him.. Either way i think we're going to know where we sit in the next month or two.. i hope.
Old 19-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #196
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I didnt kike your chances of gettin info out of him but thanks for trying. Did he give you any ideas of any other possible projects, does he have any info on TB?
Old 19-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #197
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Nope, he was very tight lipped, just said he appreciates mine and everyone elses concern and said he was confident there will be a good outcome. He didn't say what this was in regard to, tailem bend or gilman, but I am thinking TB. I've known tony since I met my best mate, about 9 years, and this topic (drag racing and his job) has always been top secret.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #198
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Edit double post
Game. Reinvented.

Old 19-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #199
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Unfortunatly i dont think enough is being done to keep the subject in the spot light. At this stage theres been nothing else planned between the meeting at the port and the protest in town, even the forum has gone quiet.
Why havent ANDRA and the consortium got together and get some racers cars from diff codes ie say one drag car one sprintcar and sprint boat and stickem in rundle mall or on of the westfields and hand out flyers and the like. It cant be that hard to come up with ideas if i can do it. If they want volenteers ill take a day off work to man one of the sites and try and educate the public in a frendly and positive way. Maybe the mall would be a bit painfull as youd have to pack up every night but could be a good wayn to promote the protest in a positive light and get more people to the protest.
Before my brother in law Steve and i tried to TB we tried to help the back on track commity to raise funds for a track and we tried to give them ideas and even offerd to run them only to be shunned and ignored. They were adiment that the their plan was to lobby the gov and they would pay for it. Well after ten years of absolutly nothing of any sucnificance happening id say that plan was a complete balls up. and as far as i know their not even trying anymore. If i didnt love the sport so much i wouldnt be bothered anymore, the sport lacks guidance and resolve and i think this the time that Tony Thornton needs to stand up grab the racers by the balls and show them the way, and if he doesnt know what to do then he should assemble a new commity to lookinto different way to get the sport back on track. Last time i talked with him and Harry White (Divisional director) they told me its not ANDRAs job to get a track up and running thats up promoters and track owners. But is the job of ANDRA to work and do their best to guide the sport inthe right direction, they owe it to their SA members to do all in their power to make the sport inSA successful and make it a truely national competition.

And so end s my rant for now.......phew!
Old 19-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #200
46302ute
gunna get there

hi glenn
i just picked up on a good point in your rant.
regarding ANDRA how can you point something in the right direction if there is no road for it to run on?
sound like they are bit lame to me and dont wont the boat rocked.
(small rant)

CARS..... 1972 XA GT Pepper Red Coupe RED.351 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/243992723478137/)
CARS..... 1973 XA GT Yellow glow sedan
CARS..... 1972 XA sedan
1969 F100 AMBO (must go)
1970 XW Station Wagon (sold)
1946 hot rod UTE
1989 MAVERICK WAGON (mine)
1990 MAVERICK WAGON (hers now sold)
Currently drive a FG xr6 and Mrs has a BF xr6 ute
46302ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #201
PALE ALE

Good Grief, Its up to promotors and track owners to get a track up and running? What sort of attitude is that? does the AFL(or any other sporting code) have that sort of attitude towards it sport. The AFL is moving heaven and earth to get its code into the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. What if the tracks in NSW/QLD/WA shut down, would ANDRA just respond with "not our problem"
ANDRA has to be the only circus in the world run by clowns! Do they think of the benifits to drag racing, if a track is built here and in VIC? More money in licence fees, from more racers, more exposure for drag racing, more sponsors
ANDRA need to be far more aggressive than they are in getting these tracks built in SA/VIC. Start a lobby fund and employ a proffesional lobby firm to lobby the states/federal governments until tracks are built
Sorry about this rant, but ANDRAs attitude stinks!
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #202
COUPE 72
coupe 72

In ANDRAs defence they dont own any of the tracks nor do they run them, they are responsible for running the racing side events with suppling scruiteneers and other ANDRA officials and they enforce the rules. They of course work with promoters to work out the racing callender,but promotion of individual events and upkeep and running of tracks is up to promotion companies and the owners of tracks which is the way it should be but, its now time ,because there is no track here in Adelaide and melbourne and canberra i think ANDRA should take a more active role.
Maybe they are but we dont see it due to all the secret squirrel business going on but there sure is a lack of things happening that the public can see and join in on.
ANDRA have a pollicy of helping any individual or group who plan to open a facillity and will keep it secret as long as they require or wish for it.
This doesnt stop them helping promote the plite of the sport and raise awareness amomg the public which where ANDRA and the consortium are lacking.
They should be praised for their efforts but i think more can be done.
Old 19-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #203
blackxrsix

It seems to me they are all waiting for another so called hoon street race or crash.Thats the only time you seem to here about our plite for a track.the state is run by do gooders not go getters.I dont think drag racers would care where we race in s.a getting there is half the fun.I think i would have a 1 minute reaction time now its been that bloody long.We have got to keep pushing some how. :
blackxrsix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #204
COUPE 72
coupe 72

The problem that we have to get over is the attitude of someone else will do it and ill support it when its done and from my exsperience there are plenty of people who say they will help but when it comes down to it they just aint there. I was at the port meeting last month (inside) and unfortunately there wernt many racers there that i recognised, hopefully they were outside but i know some who didnt bother to go or had something more important to go to.
Old 19-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #205
blackxrsix

You nailed it.I thought the same.Ive got mates that were sending me emails about the motorplex and on the day of the protest they all went a played golf.My life revolves around motorsport and my kids are the same i would love to get them in to drag racing.Its a great lifestyle.Any ideas to help out to give people motivation.Im stumped
Old 19-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #206
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I dunno it seams to me that the guys who havent been racing long and havent had a track before and the people that want to race and the ones that want to watch seem to have more enthusiasum than the ones who have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in cars. Icant work it out. Theres a guy i know, Geoff who has been retired from racing for years but still has a passion for the sport that dwarfs the rest of the racers put together, and been working behind the scenes for years tryin to help get these bozos a track .

I just dont get some peoples way of thinkin.........ineed a panadol and a lie down.
Old 23-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #207
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Wow now it seems Mildura will now get NEW 1/4mile drag strip, i think ill call the Mayor of Mildura and ask him to ring mike rann and tell him what one eyed moron he really is.

Good on ya Mildura all the best with your new track.
Old 23-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #208
blackxrsix

I will put up the link tommorow. :
Old 28-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #209
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

is it mildura or Swan Hill getting the track? Either way closer than heathcote, until barmera comes online some time in 2045. Has anyone got more info on the riverland track?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #210
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
is it mildura or Swan Hill getting the track? Either way closer than heathcote, until barmera comes online some time in 2045. Has anyone got more info on the riverland track?
Last meeting I went to (Riverland Motorsport Club) they were saying the land lease, EPA, Council approvals etc were all finalised. They had been stuffed around by the local Agricultural Field Days Association who also have a lease on the same site. It seems they expanded their operation into the area that was earmarked for the strip, which was what the last lot of submissions was for with EPA etc. So they had to start again. They now have a piece of land that is stand alone, that has nothing to do with the grumpy old fart farmers circus. Funding applications are under way now from what I am led to believe.

Progress to date has been slow, but it's still progress!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post