Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #211
Trek
Blue blooded

Default Re: Car industry prepares for Ford Australia exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
when was the last time you saw an Asian decent person driving a Ford Falcon that wasn't a renter?
One street away from where I live there's an Asian family that strictly buy Falcs (and obv. update when they can). Not a corner case either, as I've seen a few others about that are owned and not leased.

This 'news' just depresses me though. I wish it was simply just a bad dream... fear mongers are doing no good in helping with the situation.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #212
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Graziano may have been sent here to 'kill' the Falcon/Territory & wind up local production - and to that end he is accomplishing his mission, but I don't think he or his masters at the head office have any clue the damage they are doing to the FORD brand in this country.

One would think that their aim is to pull out of Australia altogether!!!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #213
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
Note the title tab at the top: 'Opinion'.
Yes, but it seems to be a considered opinion and not the sensationalist type of heresay rumours that the receiver put out.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #214
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
well if Ford go down the toilet it won't be any surprise to me.
my dad owned Fords, i owned Fords my children own Asian built cars. between my sister and i, we have 6 children, not one of them has a Ford car. i'll assume we're not a unique family in our vehicle choices, if overseas built cars are cheaper then folks will buy them especially when they aren't enthusiests. when was the last time you saw an Asian decent person driving a Ford Falcon that wasn't a renter?
it'll be a shame to see them go, after all, i've had a long time with them. having said that, they're current product does nothing to compell me to buy.
I take offence to that. I'm Asian and wouldn't be seen dead in an Asian-built car. Falcons always, but if falcon goes, BMW is the only other option
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #215
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Graziano may have been sent here to 'kill' the Falcon/Territory & wind up local production - and to that end he is accomplishing his mission, but I don't think he or his masters at the head office have any clue the damage they are doing to the FORD brand in this country.

One would think that their aim is to pull out of Australia altogether!!!
Definately.

I wonder if they realize all the negative stories and Ford is dead talk is also going to affect Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo etc.

People just hear Ford is dead and assume it effects all of their cars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #216
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Definately.

I wonder if they realize all the negative stories and Ford is dead talk is also going to affect Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo etc.

Same, if not worse, happened to Mitsubishi. After they stopped local production of the 380, sales of their other models increased.

Consumers are looking at the local brand, not the models that are shipped world wide. Most understand the theory of 'strength in numbers'; with the strength being the sales numbers.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #217
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Definately.

I think it goes deeper than that - there seems to poor decision making right accross the board when it comes the spec levels of imported Fords and numbers. There seems to be a total disconnect between demand and supply

And it seems Ford Australia has no interest in getting the best Fords and Ford technology here - it really feels like we get the left overs.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #218
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

havent read all 200 plus posts but heres a positive story sorry if its a repost

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...a-circus-31649

I reckon reading this may mean the next Mondeo after the Aston Martin looking one which is about to be released , will probably be bigger again and be called Falcon, built in Aus but designed in Europe we already have a Ecoboost Falcon is this getting us ready for the futurenow??

Last edited by music189; 03-08-2012 at 12:37 PM.
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #219
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This all comes back to bad management by Ford.. For the love of god, SAY SOMETHING!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #220
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189
havent read all 200 plus posts but heres a positive story sorry if its a repost

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...a-circus-31649

I reckon reading this may mean the next Mondeo after the Aston Martin looking one which is about to be released , will probably be bigger again and be called Falcon, built in Aus but designed in Europe we already have a Ecoboost Falcon is this getting us ready for the futurenow??
It's been posted, but all the people who are jumping for joy about the prospect of Ford closing its doors basically ignored it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #221
BroadyFord

Was thinking that maybe the government should start speaking to other manufacturers about taking over Broadmeadows after 2016.

If a luxury nameplate like Mercedes or BMW could be lured to produce cars here with incentives as well as the prospect of not having to build an entire new factory then that is something that should be pursued.

Additionally, as a higher-end brand, they would not have to make/sell as many cars as what Ford does to make a profit.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #222
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Was thinking that maybe the government should start speaking to other manufacturers about taking over Broadmeadows after 2016.

If a luxury nameplate like Mercedes or BMW could be lured to produce cars here with incentives as well as the prospect of not having to build an entire new factory then that is something that should be pursued.

Additionally, as a higher-end brand, they would not have to make/sell as many cars as what Ford does to make a profit.

Probably a good site for a Indian or Chinese manufacturer to start building utes and 4wds. Or even Hyundai to start building dual cabs.

But this is getting ahead of ourselves, hopefully Ford sees a future in manufacturing in this country.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #223
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Probably a good site for a Indian or Chinese manufacturer to start building utes and 4wds. Or even Hyundai to start building dual cabs.

But this is getting ahead of ourselves, hopefully Ford sees a future in manufacturing in this country.
Preparations need to be made now otherwise it will be too late.

If Ford does not enter into a co-investment agreement with the government for post-2016 before the next election (when there is likely to be a change to car industry funding) then the lead time between the current Falcon and its replacement will be too small do discuss producing a locally-built Falcon replacement.

Put it this way, if Ford have not announced its intentions for post-2016 by mid next year at the VERY LATEST then I'd say it's certainly over for Broadmeadows and Geelong.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #224
bingoTE50
Steve

Sure if they could import a Bangladeshi workforce and pay them a pittance.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #225
nstg8a

Obvious anti ford trolling is getting old. Somebody ban him ffs.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #226
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

...or do you actually own a Ford, or have an interest in Ford, because the only time you surface on this forum is to post your "yippee Ford is closing" twaddle.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #227
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I hope Ford continue to manufacture in this country. In fact, I'm going to be positive and say they will regardless of what the doomsayers say!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #228
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
...or do you actually own a Ford, or have an interest in Ford, because the only time you surface on this forum is to post your "yippee Ford is closing" twaddle.
Yes I do own a Ford (AUII Fairmont).

I am allowed to express my frustration at Ford's management or lack thereof in relation to the fact that they're not doing anything towards upholding their local manufacturing operations.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #229
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Put it this way, if Ford have not announced its intentions for post-2016 by mid next year at the VERY LATEST then I'd say it's certainly over for Broadmeadows and Geelong.
so you believe that they still have almost 12 months to announce their intentions and yet you still post such negative stuff, close to a year in advance????
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #230
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
so you believe that they still have almost 12 months to announce their intentions and yet you still post such negative stuff, close to a year in advance????
Ford announced its intention to build the Focus here in 2007 (4 years before the intended year of production starting).

Based on that, even mid-2013 is probably being too generous in terms of announcing a replacement because of the long lead times needed to develop the vehicle and retool the plant - I'm just trying to hold out some hope that maybe they're leaving it late or haven't decided yet but honestly, how can you believe all is positive when in reality there is a reasonable chance Falcon numbers will get down to 380 levels at some stage?

P.S. I'm not being negative, just realistic! I want to see Ford continue in this country more than anyone else but at the moment their situation seems so depressing that I can't even think of anything that can turn it around (in terms of local production).
Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #231
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
P.S. I'm not being negative, just realistic!
being realistic is joining in discussions, saying your piece and letting it go if others choose not to see the facts
being negative is opening up multiple threads and posting multiple times about ford's certain demise from australia
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #232
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford announced its intention to build the Focus here in 2007 (4 years before the intended year of production starting).

Based on that, even mid-2013 is probably being too generous in terms of announcing a replacement because of the long lead times needed to develop the vehicle and retool the plant - I'm just trying to hold out some hope that maybe they're leaving it late or haven't decided yet but honestly, how can you believe all is positive when in reality there is a reasonable chance Falcon numbers will get down to 380 levels at some stage?

P.S. I'm not being negative, just realistic! I want to see Ford continue in this country more than anyone else but at the moment their situation seems so depressing that I can't even think of anything that can turn it around (in terms of local production).
Maybe because unlike a new car which can be hidden from view until the last 8-12 months a production line setup for a new model needs work done to the plant while it's down meaning it's spread out over a fairly long period and in blocks through the year and over Christmas shutdowns. It would involve construction, enginneering etc and so thus more difficult to keep quiet. Obviously Ford Oz have already started work on post-2016 except it's on a series of options and once the final plan is agreed to I guess we will all eventually find out. I feel that the longer it takes for the decision to be announced means the locals are leaving no stone unturned in formulating their plans.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #233
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The discussion is to be about Ford, again anything else doesn't belong in this thread that includes old Mitsubishi news.
Moving on lets see if there is something new to be added or the time will come for thread closure.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #234
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think too many people are precious about the "Falcon" nameplate.

Those of us old enough will remember the great wailing and nashing of teeth that ensued when the name Kingswood was dropped...it was to be the end of the world! That funny looking European-based car won't ever sell...umm...even though it was lighter, handled better, had better economy, and had more interior room than the old Kingy and general driving dynamics that the average Aussie driver just wasn't used to...

Falcon is unusual in that it's been around as a badge for over fifty years. Ford could just as easily have given the major body changes in their range...say the change from XY to XA or XC to XD...a different name. I remember hearing at the time that other successful Ford names used elsewhere were briefly tossed around for the Blackwood (XD) project ...Granada was one, not sure what else.

The Commodore was an adapted overseas car...an Opel...and it was a revolution in the Australia motoring industry. Holden did the smart thing by using proven and tried and tested technology, toughened up a bit for our conditions (as with the first evaluation Falcons in the sixties, the front suspension towers started to collapse on outback corrugations).

Ford could do the clever thing and bring in something from the Ford world stable and do the same.
My vote is with the Fusion...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #235
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Ford could do the clever thing and bring in something from the Ford world stable and do the same.

I reckon bringing in the Fusion nameplate is the way to go. It would break the association of the current large Ford (Falcon) that people have with what they perceive as a gas guzzling dinosaur. Even though the new Fusion and the Mondeo are basically the same car - the Mondeo has very little brand equity here, so they might as well start fresh with a new name; go the Fusion!

Wether they produce it here or not is another matter?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #236
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
The Commodore was an adapted overseas car...an Opel...and it was a revolution in the Australia motoring industry. Holden did the smart thing by using proven and tried and tested technology, toughened up a bit for our conditions (as with the first evaluation Falcons in the sixties, the front suspension towers started to collapse on outback corrugations).

Yep .... C'dore was so good with the introduction of VB, Ford went gang busters up until EL winning the sales race often

I would be very disappointed to see the name plate 'Falcon' disappear. It is what my Grandpa drove, dad drive and what I am driving and what my son is driving ..... it is not time to move on. It probably will but that wont change my thoughts on how I think of the Falcon.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #237
prydey
Rob

falcon nameplate is here to stay

also

how dare Ford not put all their plans on public record. shame on them!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #238
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Ford announced its intention to build the Focus here in 2007 (4 years before the intended year of production starting)..
Well, you've answered your own question...a continuing global platform?
Yes I can see how FoA could get on board years early than planned as
The business case for a global product and regional supply contract would be easier to justify
than developing replacements for local large car and SUV, can you not see the difference in priority?

Quote:
We weren't told the verdict on Falcon versus Fusion until early 2006 which was two years, including a six months pause before FG was launched in 2008.
So by that logic, we won't hear anything from Ford re post 2016 cars until late 2014....
Quote:
P.S. I'm not being negative, just realistic! I want to see Ford continue in this country more than anyone else but at the moment their situation seems so depressing that I can't even think of anything that can turn it around (in terms of local production)
How about an employees forum with controlled access where you guys can talk and vent without intervention of non-employees.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #239
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I think too many people are precious about the "Falcon" nameplate.

Those of us old enough will remember the great wailing and nashing of teeth that ensued when the name Kingswood was dropped...it was to be the end of the world! That funny looking European-based car won't ever sell...umm...even though it was lighter, handled better, had better economy, and had more interior room than the old Kingy and general driving dynamics that the average Aussie driver just wasn't used to...

Falcon is unusual in that it's been around as a badge for over fifty years. Ford could just as easily have given the major body changes in their range...say the change from XY to XA or XC to XD...a different name. I remember hearing at the time that other successful Ford names used elsewhere were briefly tossed around for the Blackwood (XD) project ...Granada was one, not sure what else.

The Commodore was so great it basically sent the company into bankruptcy and handed the market over to Ford. In simple terms it was a failure really, switching to a smaller car which used more fuel than the much bigger rival XD was a f up of biblical proportions. If GM didn't bail them out in 85 Holden wouldn't be here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
falcon nameplate is here to stay

also

how dare Ford not put all their plans on public record. shame on them!!
This gets my goat a little, Ford don't have to announce any plans but they could simply say we are working on plans for post 2016 and we plan to have a future here. Simple really, staves off the negative closure talk, gives people hope and all without giving anything away to the opposition.

They don't need to release a detailed plan on what they are doing, and no one should expect them to, but they should just give us something.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #240
prydey
Rob

Quote:
This gets my goat a little, Ford don't have to announce any plans but they could simply say we are working on plans for post 2016 and we plan to have a future here. Simple really, staves off the negative closure talk,
the irony being that you are among the negative talkers

Quote:
They don't need to release a detailed plan on what they are doing, and no one should expect them to, but they should just give us something.
again i ask, why???

lets say they promised to keep building cars here, and then in the next few years things went pear shaped, what then. they would be crucified even worse.

i'm sure they have plans. who gives a toss whether they come out and satisfy everyones needs or not.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post