Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #211
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Would legal venues stop hoons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB6I9UTgTHc
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #212
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76
I'd like to see that at my wedding...!

In a 'safe' environment of course...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #213
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why post that.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #214
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
That was the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time
Doesn't really help the cause here of trying to get that type of behaviour into a controlled environment, it provides ammo for some on here
Old 24-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #215
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see a padlock in this threads' future

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #216
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
No mate, just the voice of reason for the majority out there.
No mate, you are not.

You're part of the minority, with a loud voice with no solutions based in reality.

You and your small vocal groups are the reason why problems like these just keep on going on.

But worse of all, you are a hypocrite as a lot of your posts show, with no answers to questions directed at you.

Would legal venues stop your and the media's view of "hoons"? Nope. You are too wrapped up in your own world to see the forest for the trees. You have no solutions except those that suit your blinkered view and totally incorrect need to "save us all" from ourselves.

Open your eyes and at least explore ideas outside the box, because your ideas (excessive fines, jail time) will not change anything. It hasn't stopped people killing others, and will not stop what you consider "hooning".

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #217
nasss92

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYgNx42umLI

these are the degenerates who should be banned from the roads.... how about increasing driving bans should a person show utter disrespect and anyone with a criminal record aswell... its these people who are the culprits for so many of the negative perceptions of car enthusiasts , complete morons with no ability to control themselves or grasp reality.. and this is the 5% idiots who wreck it for the rest of us, because they have limited brain function

not even worth trying to reason with such arrogant people, just ban em
nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #218
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92

these are the degenerates who should be banned from the roads.... how about increasing driving bans should a person show utter disrespect and anyone with a criminal record aswell... its these people who are the culprits for so many of the negative perceptions of car enthusiasts , complete morons with no ability to control themselves or grasp reality.. and this is the 5% idiots who wreck it for the rest of us, because they have limited brain function

cocky little tossil reckons they are better than the police "they're not as experienced as us". I know what I'd like to do with the imbecile.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #219
No.6

crush the cars.

Its good for the economy (hoons will buy more cars and modify them) plus chances are it'll be removing older cars of the road at the same time :P

Just seen another video where hoons were singing the old macdonald had a farm song to some police officers that had given them defects on their vehicles. Seriously. How can Australian Society allow police officers to be treated this way by a public that at the same time they are expected to protect?

Create the venues, increase the penalties to move them off public roads and see what happens? Surely the millions of dollars already spent tackling hoons could be used to try something new because whatever the current strategy is right now, just doesnt seem to be having an effect.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #220
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
No mate, you are not.

You're part of the minority, with a loud voice with no solutions based in reality.

You and your small vocal groups are the reason why problems like these just keep on going on.
There are plenty of people in this thread that seem to agree with me, and no-one Ive spoken to in the general community sees the solution as spending their tax dollars to give these cretons a playground to reward them for their lawlessness.

The problem keeps going on and on, authorities have only just got started really, as I said before, lets wait and see when they get really serious and crush a few $40 000+ vehicles and have their drivers waiting at bus stops for the next five years, there were 4 candidates that past my place last night.

Quote:
But worse of all, you are a hypocrite as a lot of your posts show, with no answers to questions directed at you
Oh, typical of people wanting to release themselves from proper responsibilities, fling the word Hypocrite. I suppose I have revealed that I go to other people's streets and hoon around causing mayhem......and are now advocating that other people that do it get severe penalties. oh please direct me to where I said that.

Did I say that I was able to keep my car within speed limits without ever looking at the speedo, yes, did i say in fact that I drove cars without speedos and still managed that...yes....did I have a cry about the fact that if it ever got picked up I could be fined.....no, is there any indication that my actions endangered anyone or myself no.

Oh, and I admitted to seeing how fast the first POS I owned would go,135km/h or the ~80mph the dodgy speedo was flickering on. Not proud of that and scared the ...... out of me, and could see that I wasnt going to live long if I did that again. , no excuse, but if there had been some "draconian" penalties in place Im guessing Id of reconsidered.
Yes, my copybook is better than most here, but perfect, nope. I dont see any logic that because I did the wrong thing that it should be okay for everyone else to.

But we have people around here claiming they are the voice on everything and have broken nearly every road rule in the book and at the same time deliberately endangered others on the road, whether it be driving with only one headlight or doing burnouts in a suburban street.

Its interesting that I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking for comment about the traffic commisioner's Kieran's Walsh "indiscretion" where his fellow officer was killed when he "lost control" of his vehicle when just simply cruisng the boulevard? A mod shut it down saying it had no relevance to his current role as it was some time ago....interesting

Quote:
with no answers to questions directed at you.
Im sure people dont really want me to make 50 posts a day in threads like this.
Many posters make ridiculous comments and insults that are simply not worth responding to(im sure you are familiar with the expression, "never argue with idiots......", most of them should be pulled for abuse, but what would be the point in complaining?

I should respond to people who demand to know my real name, where I work/live, what car I drive, my qualifications.....yeh, harassment...as simple as that.

Quote:
Open your eyes and at least explore ideas outside the box, because your ideas (excessive fines, jail time) will not change anything. .
No the solution you and others propose is not "out of the box", its called pandering to the problem.....rounding up these morons and putting them through boot camp or having them introduced to the wonders of other pastimes.....that would be.

Quote:
(excessive fines, jail time) will not change anything. It hasn't stopped people killing others, and will not stop what you consider "hooning"..
Who said anything about excessive fines.....not me, but fines and consequences substantial enough that would deter them, yep fine!

Quote:
It hasn't stopped people killing others, and will not stop what you consider "hooning"..
Im not sure of the data, did Australia's murder rate change after Ronald Ryan was the last person to swing? be interesting to know

Most likely murder is one of those crimes where its done in passion, fits of rage and the consequences have little impact on those people involved at the time.

Its interesting though that you should compare hooning with murder, is it something that people do when they are in a fit of rage or "passion" just takes over and they have no ability to think of the consequences?.......very interesting.

Last edited by sudszy; 24-05-2011 at 08:38 AM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #221
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sudszy,
Can i ask, and for an honest answer here,
How long have you had your licence
How many car,cars,trucks, motorbikes,what have you youve own (regoed on the road)
How many traffic infringments youve had

From many of your negative responses and contradicting everything any body has said
Youve either had no licence or for a very short time, had little of no driving experience,never had an infringment
OR
You flaunted with the law and copped massive fines and now your all bitter

Seriously the way you mention "Your " street its not called "Conrod straight" is it
You are right in some sense(minimal)
Building traffic hazards or roundabout or what have you in one street will move those offenders to another street
IF they no longer then bother you, whats the problem for you

A couple more quick Qs for ya
Where does all the money from traffic infringments go ???
IF i have 30 blocks in my street at !500 a year rates
Why does it take 3 years for a pot hole to be filled
Thats rural
In the burbs the rates are about the same and theres more house,albeit smaller blocks
IF the speedsters are such an issue why wouldnt the council do something about it
Are you the only one that has issues in your street ???
If others aswell have complained , is there cops on the street getting these speedsters, why hasnt the council done anything about it yet
No enuf complaints ???

At the end of the day, the government aussie wide are reaping massive amounts from traffic infringments, but theres no driver education,yearly RWC in all states
Are they really worried about this issue of hooning or road death toll ???
Seems not unless theres a quid to be made
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #222
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92

The question is though, how do you deal with that?

How does a copper honestly deal with those issues, legally?

As a kid we used to fear the cops...these guys have no fear for authority at all. It seems there's one mouth piece and the rest are just brawn, not brains...

The unfortunate part is that these guys are the stereotype that the general public thinks we are part of...which isn't true.

So, how do we fix it? Logically, and legally, how do we fix it?

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 24-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #223
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are plenty of people in this thread that seem to agree with me, and no-one Ive spoken to in the general community sees the solution as spending their tax dollars to give these cretons a playground to reward them for their lawlessness.
You use such emotive words, and believe that people will eventually come over to the 'light side'. Of course the people you talk to will agree with you, particularly when you use such emotive language like that.

If you actually sit back and think about it, it's not giving them a 'reward' for anything. It's giving both hoons and car enthusiasts (read us) a legal venue to attend, where the only people that we can harm is ourselves if something goes wrong.

It's a reward for the public if you really want to play that propaganda card - you get them off the streets, they get a place to go. It's called win win. It seems that you don't want that though - you'd like it win lose. Everyone else should just deal with the closure of the tracks and be good little model citizens. I'm an idealist, and even I can see that your 'idealism' is just crazy talk dressed up in big words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudzy
The problem keeps going on and on, authorities have only just got started really, as I said before, lets wait and see when they get really serious and crush a few $40 000+ vehicles and have their drivers waiting at bus stops for the next five years, there were 4 candidates that past my place last night.
What did you did with those four candidates? Did you call the police? And if you did call the police, what did they say?

Quote:
Oh, typical of people wanting to release themselves from proper responsibilities, fling the word Hypocrite. I suppose I have revealed that I go to other people's streets and hoon around causing mayhem......and are now advocating that other people that do it get severe penalties. oh please direct me to where I said that.
When you yourself have partaken in 'hoon like' behaviour and come here saying what you're saying...makes you a hypocrite. That's a fact. If you don't like it, change it.

Quote:
Did I say that I was able to keep my car within speed limits without ever looking at the speedo, yes, did i say in fact that I drove cars without speedos and still managed that...yes....did I have a cry about the fact that if it ever got picked up I could be fined.....no, is there any indication that my actions endangered anyone or myself no.

Oh, and I admitted to seeing how fast the first POS I owned would go,135km/h or the ~80mph the dodgy speedo was flickering on. Not proud of that and scared the ...... out of me, and could see that I wasnt going to live long if I did that again. , no excuse, but if there had been some "draconian" penalties in place Im guessing Id of reconsidered.
Yes, my copybook is better than most here, but perfect, nope. I dont see any logic that because I did the wrong thing that it should be okay for everyone else to.
Your copybook is better than most? How the hell do you know? You don't know any of us...you don't know our history, our driving abilities, all you know is a couple of us were ratty teenagers who were full of testosterone and bravado (or oestrogen and bravado as the case may be).

Your logic is do as I say, not as I do...which is hypocritical at best. You can argue that all you like...but when you read through your posts, it's very clear that you seem to think your actions are irrelevant, when in actual fact, they're very relevant.

Quote:
But we have people around here claiming they are the voice on everything and have broken nearly every road rule in the book and at the same time deliberately endangered others on the road, whether it be driving with only one headlight or doing burnouts in a suburban street.
I think your concept of 'endangering others on the road' is a little far fetched...it's a headlight, not a noose around someone's neck dragging them down the road. The emotive language suggests that you think you're better than the rest of us here...and if that's the case, this probably isn't the best place for you to 'hang out'.

Quote:
Its interesting that I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking for comment about the traffic commisioner's Kieran's Walsh "indiscretion" where his fellow officer was killed when he "lost control" of his vehicle when just simply cruisng the boulevard? A mod shut it down saying it had no relevance to his current role as it was some time ago....interesting
That thread was straight out political and you know it. Your emphasis on the word 'indiscretion' indicates your little conspiracy theorist mind has ticked over and suggested it wasn't an accident, that he was doing something stupid. Whatever the case may be, it was thirty years ago...Even if it wasn't an accident, people can and do change. I'm certainly not the same person I was ten years ago, not even the same person as I was 5 years ago...So it wasn't relevant, it appeared to be a witch hunt from where I sat. Trying to get your point across that the commissioner is a tool in your eyes and doesn't deserve the job...Do you think you could do better? Honestly?

Quote:
Im sure people dont really want me to make 50 posts a day in threads like this.
Many posters make ridiculous comments and insults that are simply not worth responding to(im sure you are familiar with the expression, "never argue with idiots......", most of them should be pulled for abuse, but what would be the point in complaining?

I should respond to people who demand to know my real name, where I work/live, what car I drive, my qualifications.....yeh, harassment...as simple as that.
Sudzy, if your arguments were balanced, with a little bit more understanding of the 'real world' that we live in, I would have no problem reading your posts.

The problem is, your posts seem to only involve 'being a sheep and obeying the law'. Now, some people here (read most) actually understand there's two sides to every coin and two sides to every story - you continually harp on about obeying the law, get your car off the road if a headlight is out, that doesn't work here...and it never will. You seem to come on here and taunt everyone. If you want to have serious discussions you need to actually factor in the other side of the coin, not just one eyed disregard for those who actually want somewhere to be able to race their vehicles, to do the odd burnout, to socialise with other enthusiasts, without the continual knock of the policeman or 'Joe Public' who feels that they shouldn't share the same roads as the general public, because they're a menace to society...views like yours are a menace to society. It's blatant disregard for anyone else's ideas, views and needs...and it needs to stop.

Quote:
No the solution you and others propose is not "out of the box", its called pandering to the problem.....rounding up these morons and putting them through boot camp or having them introduced to the wonders of other pastimes.....that would be.
I don't know if you read much, but burnouts, dragging, rallying are all past times that my father (who's now in his 60's) used to partake in. Australia has always had a car culture...

It's not pandering to the problem. For one, it gets them into a controlled environment. No, it's not going to solve the problem completely, but I fail to see why people who build around an 'already established' race track and then complain about the noise get pandered to...if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander, and if they're naive enough to build near a race track and think it won't be noisy...that's their bad luck.

Quote:
Who said anything about excessive fines.....not me, but fines and consequences substantial enough that would deter them, yep fine!
It won't deter a real 'hoon' - they'll just go out and buy another car and do it all over again...the only thing that will stop those people, is medication to prevent the testosterone from being at the level it is...

Quote:
Im not sure of the data, did Australia's murder rate change after Ronald Ryan was the last person to swing? be interesting to know

Most likely murder is one of those crimes where its done in passion, fits of rage and the consequences have little impact on those people involved at the time.

Its interesting though that you should compare hooning with murder, is it something that people do when they are in a fit of rage or "passion" just takes over and they have no ability to think of the consequences?.......very interesting.
You think Capital punishment will work? In today's society? You're kidding right? The truth is it won't, as there is too much emphasis on 'rehabilitation'. Civil libertarians won't allow it, nor will the government.

Interesting you should think murder is one of those crimes done in passion...you come from Melbourne right, premeditated murder was rife there in the 90's, remember?

As has been questioned...why won't the government crack down on it...? The answer is money...the care isn't about them killing themselves, it would appear that they're just collateral damage in the scheme to make money...But feel free to prove me wrong on that one...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 24-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #224
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if some people are so against building tracks, skip pans, qtr mile and such. What is something that would work to get these hoons off the street. Fining people, impounding cars and such does not work. These laws have been now in place in Victoria since 2005. As of 21 Feb 2010, VicPol had impounded 10000 cars. (I could not find any updated figures). So to me this seems like these laws are just a way for the Police, towing company's to make money. The cost of a first impound last year was $328 including towing fee and holding yard. Unsure if this has changed. I used to work near the impound lot in Preston and spoke to a couple of guy's who worked in the lot and they said cars come in and out daily.

So what would get these guys off the street. It seems to me what is happening at the moment is not working and something needs to be done, that has not been tried.

Zero tolerance just seems to make it worse, and its seen as hoons versus the police. Maybe the hoons and police need to work together instead of going against each other.

Figures from here.
http://archive.premier.vic.gov.au/co...icle/9505.html
Old 24-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #225
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Sezzy, I was at the wife's grandparents on the weekend just gone, and low and behold when I walked in there was her 80yo Pop watching a Powercruise burnout DVD lol, he would give anything to rip a skid in his Phase 3 HO that he sold 30 years ago.
Old 24-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #226
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleted (not family friendly)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #227
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're humans, not machines, and xisled is right, the current scheme isn't working...

They invested 9.9 million dollars in that scheme. I hate to say it, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon. They need to recoupe those funds first, and if they've only impounded around 10000 cars at around 328 a pop to get them out, they're about 6.5 mill off their recouping (not taking into consideration the various task forces they have established to cope with the 'problem')...

Education is one possible answer to your question though, and I'm wondering if perhaps the police doing the educating might be a good thing. From primary school age - no graphic photographs of crashes, no propaganda, just a 'physics' lesson...and continue those 'physics' lessons until they leave high school - with an understanding that a car is a lethal weapon...

As a society, as kids we have this air of confidence that 'it'll never happen to me', well it can, and it does. So perhaps starting the education younger, get people who've had these problems really affect their lives talk to these youngsters and try to make them understand that their life is important, and so are the lives of the other people on the road, and that the ramifications will live with them forever, not just a short period of time. Once again, nothing graphic, just factual.

A legal venue is a tool that can be used in conjunction with education, and if they're conducted with the police on board as an 'educational tool', it may have a more positive outcome on the whole situation.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 24-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #228
AMGC63
Banned

More dedicated recreational motorsport venues are needed in some states but they need to be self funded privately run facilities.
Also I don't really want my taxes used to reward these tools.
To be honest in New South Wales and Victoria at-least there are already plenty of places to go and use your car yet the problem still exists.
From what ive been told the Police have the most issues in the area later in the night after an off street drag event... the spectators turn feral after getting a dose of inspiration from the motorsport enthusiasts. These are the people causing the problem.

If you start linking Hooning with Genuine Motorsport you muddy the water and create the impression its one and the same. Any facility built needs to be done for recreational or training purposes, not as an "outlet" for idiots.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #229
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
We're humans, not machines, and xisled is right, the current scheme isn't working...

They invested 9.9 million dollars in that scheme. I hate to say it, but it's not going anywhere anytime soon. They need to recoupe those funds first, and if they've only impounded around 10000 cars at around 328 a pop to get them out, they're about 6.5 mill off their recouping (not taking into consideration the various task forces they have established to cope with the 'problem')...

Education is one possible answer to your question though, and I'm wondering if perhaps the police doing the educating might be a good thing. From primary school age - no graphic photographs of crashes, no propaganda, just a 'physics' lesson...and continue those 'physics' lessons until they leave high school - with an understanding that a car is a lethal weapon...

As a society, as kids we have this air of confidence that 'it'll never happen to me', well it can, and it does. So perhaps starting the education younger, get people who've had these problems really affect their lives talk to these youngsters and try to make them understand that their life is important, and so are the lives of the other people on the road, and that the ramifications will live with them forever, not just a short period of time. Once again, nothing graphic, just factual.

A legal venue is a tool that can be used in conjunction with education, and if they're conducted with the police on board as an 'educational tool', it may have a more positive outcome on the whole situation.

You are right Sezzy, education is a big part of this, and it needs to start in the early years such as grade 1 and 2. When I was at school in year 12 (2002), the most education we got about a car's being dangerous, was the year 12 coordinator getting everyone for an hour session and giving us a lecture on road safety. This only happened because a guy in my year dropped a huge big skid in the school driveway that went on for about 300 meters, in his VN commo. Before that nothing was ever mentioned. The punishment he got was being banned from parking at the school.

Now at my school we did not have any sort of driver education program what so ever.

The only thing we had was that you got your learners at 16 when your 18 you get your licence and then you can drive.

So maybe all this does go back to education in schools and this is 1 thing that needs to be funded and put to the government to organise programs in schools, but I still think most of the reason why hoon's do it on the streets is cost. Most people forget that the reason why heaps of young people drive around in s***box's that are unsafe and unroadworthy is because that's all the can afford. So asking someone to go to a track and pay $80 just to enter is a big ask not only for hoon's but for any young people in general.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #230
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne351
More dedicated recreational motorsport venues are needed in some states but they need to be self funded privately run facilities.
Also I don't really want my taxes used to reward these tools.
To be honest in New South Wales and Victoria at-least there are already plenty of places to go and use your car yet the problem still exists.
From what ive been told the Police have the most issues in the area later in the night after an off street drag event... the spectators turn feral after getting a dose of inspiration from the motorsport enthusiasts. These are the people causing the problem.

If you start linking Hooning with Genuine Motorsport you muddy the water and create the impression its one and the same. Any facility built needs to be done for recreational or training purposes, not as an "outlet" for idiots.
Motor Sport and hooning to the general public are the exact same thing. The general public who has no idea about cars, see hoons, enthusiasts and motor sport as the same thing.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #231
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Motor Sport and hooning to the genral public are the exact same thing. A person off the street does not know any better will compare them to each other.
Cant agree there, i think the average person on the street does know the difference, the problem will come when people try to justify a motorsport facility for the purposes of controlling hooning.... that's when you'll create the link.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #232
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne351
Cant agree there, i think the average person on the street does know the difference, the problem will come when people try to justify a motorsport facility for the purposes of controlling hooning.... that's when you'll create the link.
Beat me to it.....

Please, credit the average punter with a modicum of intelligence, they know the difference between a well run and legal event and some twit ripping up the streets in the early hours of the morning....

Creating a link between motorsport and hooning is not a good thing, just mentioning the two in the same sentence makes me see red.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #233
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Beat me to it.....

Please, credit the average punter with a modicum of intelligence, they know the difference between a well run and legal event and some twit ripping up the streets in the early hours of the morning....

Creating a link between motorsport and hooning is not a good thing, just mentioning the two in the same sentence makes me see red.....
Yep agree totally.

Ive spoken privately with a State Sports minister on this topic and he said the Government felt that 1) a facility would have no impact on removing the problem 2) by associating one with the other it would harm the image of legitimate healthy motorsport, the Government were big supporters of properly run motorsport and didn't want its image tarnished.
And 3) there was significant voter opinion that a facility built to cater to "hooning" would attract significant electoral backlash as people would see their taxes being used as a reward to idiots.

I agreed with him on all counts.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #234
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only education towards driving that I got (aside from a boot in the bum from my old man at 10 in the paddock for taking out a fence in the hilux, and at 16 for nearly sending my old lady through the front windscreen braking heavily), was in grade 6 when we went to DECA...most people can read, but you need to actually put them into situations whereby they are prompted to learn, before they get behind a wheel alone or with a bunch of mates pressuring them to 'do a skid'.

Half the crap I learnt at school I don't remember, why? Because I wasn't engaged...when a teacher actually 'engaged' students in the learning, I remember that, and that was twenty odd years ago.

The cost (both financially and socially) weighs heavily on young kids, Jim Bob is doing it, so why shouldn't I? The sheep mentality that gets lost on these kids is that their decisions to do things WILL have ramifications.

From that video earlier, there weren't many cars that you would call 'bombs'...they were all nicely polished, cleaned, the whole kit, so they've either got decent jobs, or funding from somewhere else (parents, relatives, financial institutions, etc). The only thing those kids really need to understand is that their actions do have the potential to ruin the rest of their lives. Perhaps a visit from someone who's been convicted of murder/manslaughter who had the same bravado that they have...prove the link between 'it won't happen to me' and 'it did happen to me'.

But it's not just that which needs to be considered, your link indicated 44% of the people pinged for 'hooning' were between 20-25, what about the other 56% what did that percentage consist of? I don't think the problem is solely based at the youth...

The focus shouldn't be on 'hoons', Today Tonight has these guys plastered all over the TV saying they can drive better than the cops, they're creating an environment where these 'hoons' are 'hero's to other hoons'...and the problem continues...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 24-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #235
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my own experience within motor sport. People did not see it any different. I used to tell people that I was going to Winton to drift, Would explain to them Winton is a legal track. Still most people I spoke to still said that I am a hoon and it's good that I am doing this on a track but still deemed it to be the same thing. This includes friends family members and work colleagues, people of all ages and from different area's.
Old 24-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #236
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
So what would get these guys off the street.
You never will. Just as the death penalty doesn't stop murders. I don't believe there's much you can do proactively, only reactively.

There's no magic solution that will stop people from either having a brainfart every now and then or just being a complete menace on the roads. As per the interviews on a youtube video posted earlier, we share the road with some absolute buffoons who think their car control is second to none and relish the opportunity to create mayhem then run from the police.

This isn't a new phenomenon. I've been on the road for over 20 years and this sort of behaviour was happening well before I got my licence.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #237
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Sudzy, let me understand what your saying here:

Its ok for the government to fund projects so long as they aren’t about motorsport?

You don’t want a resolution to your so called "hooning" problem because your not interested in anyone else's opinions/options but your own... you have to earn the right to be arrogant so far your failing.

You have driven defective vehicles and have "exceeded" the speed limit but your are public enemy no1 if anyone would dare do that now.. the fact you believe that a headlight out is a danger to the wider community is beyond laughable.

You have never said what credentials you have to make wild and sometimes moronic comments on things you have clearly never bothered to research, if you want people to listen to you how about answering some of the genuine questions being asked.

What is genuinely laughable is the fact that you make a big deal about co2 and emissions while doing a skid but you want a new/near new car to be crushed just so you can get your rocks off?.... right...

I suggest before coming on here and replying to this or other posts you take a long hard look at yourself, its fine to have an oppinion and express it but quit being so pig headed and of the belief that anyone who disagrees with you is a hoon or unintelligent... you might be very suprised what some of us do for jobs and what understanding we have of different situations legal or not.

OT:

Australia expands, and unfortunately everyone thinks the world owes them something and in most city's its peace and quiet... if you want that move rural, city’s are busy they cater to everyone and some/most activity's involve noise... something that beggars belief is morons who build next do an airport/entertainment precinct or motorsport faculty and do nothing but whinge until its closed/quietened down... govco seem to PANDA to the minority not realising how much of a revolt they will get if it keeps going the way it is.

Giving people an outlet is only part solution to the issue but its a start, would make me a very happy boy if I had somewhere to go and destroy a set of tyres on a friday night, (although skidpan at QR is great its still $90 for about 3 runs and is fairly small)

People have been racing since horse and cart so you saying that bigger fines and impounding of cars will stop it is just not a viable option, they can make us all drive electronic cars and Ill find a way to race the thing... its in our human phyche to be faster/better/more skillfull than the next.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #238
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
You never will. Just as the death penalty doesn't stop murders. I don't believe there's much you can do proactively, only reactively.

There's no magic solution that will stop people from either having a brainfart every now and then or just being a complete menace on the roads. As per the interviews on a youtube video posted earlier, we share the road with some absolute buffoons who think their car control is second to none and relish the opportunity to create mayhem then run from the police.

This isn't a new phenomenon. I've been on the road for over 20 years and this sort of behaviour was happening well before I got my licence.
In much the same way as we share the roads with people that have never been retested since getting their licence from the local cop 50 years ago.. test then was a drive to the end of the street U turn and come back, here you go now you can drive...

Or the any age driver who is so nervous they should never have got a licence in the first place and their slow, non understanding of basic road rules and complete disregard of roundabouts/merging or RH lane tactics drive other "competent" motorists mental

unfortunately you cant cull the stupid, but there are allot of drivers including the overconfident who cause carnage on the roads

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #239
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Funny how you scared yourself doing a tad over the National Speed limit.
In some other countries their highway limits are 130 and sometimes even more, And they all manage to survive.
Maybe it had something to do with you driving unroadworthy vehicles.

What's a copybook? And why is yours better then most peoples here?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #240
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
From my own experience within motor sport. People did not see it any different. I used to tell people that I was going to Winton to drift, Would explain to them Winton is a legal track. Still most people I spoke to still said that I am a hoon and it's good that I am doing this on a track but still deemed it to be the same thing. This includes friends family members and work colleagues, people of all ages and from different area's.
There's your problem right there, drifting isn't viewed (or portrayed) as motorsport, its viewed as a form of hooning!

Like it or not there's a tangible link between drifting and anti social (hooning) driving. More-so for burnouts too.