Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #211
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...id=32858&stc=1

From NRMA site
Worst in every category was the GM V6 powered Commo
Odd that the 6sp XR6 apparently costs more to run than the 4sp - might have depreciation based on the list price from before it was packaged into an ES (as it is only more expensive to run in the WOL figure)

... time passes ...

yes, that was it the Eurosport (packaged 6sp, rather than optioned) came in as follows
$42.57 $84.82 85.29 $246.03...

So Cost of ownership appears lower for the I6 6sp Ford than the v6 Camry - as near as NRMA will let me get on an Apples to Apples comparo.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (62.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #212
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Modern alloy V6's are crap end of story!

If you want to produce real power you need a straight six, OHC and a cast iron block all the best cars have cast iron blocks for example: Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan Skyline and Toyota Supra.

These had CAST IRON BLOCKS and the Skyline and Supra were STRAIGHT SIXES!!!
Yeah... right... The type of metal in the block has nothing to do with power production..

OK lets have some actual facts.. those engines you listed are hardly the best around.. I'd count the M3 and M5 V8/10 both better and both are all aluminum. Ford GT yep thats all alloy, 1UZ-FE Toyota engine is all alloy, Ferrari/Maserati engines.. yeah they're all alloy too! I could go on for years about engines better than the ones you have listed that are better but i won't....

As far as all V6 Engine's being crap what about the Cosworth GAA V6 engine.. also the new Mercedes V6's they arent half bad.. and you guessed it all alloy V6.. also the VW VR engine.. yes thats a V6 too and pretty damn good

For certain applications there is nothing wrong with an Aluminium V6..

I'd certainly be happy with an XR6T powered by the Twin Turbo Duratec engine... 321 kW and 542Nm

Quote:
Any wonder why the next BMW six is reverting back to a cast iron block??
Anything to back this up.. The current and fairly new BMW I6's (N/A N52 series) are Magnesium/Aluminum contruction, the turbo version is All aluminium. The last "new" BMW engine that had an Iron block was the S54 M3 engine.. which dates back to the early 90's. Even their diesels are now Aluminium construction now, I hardly think they are going to go backwards.

EDIT: Having just found out some info about the New for '08 Model range N53 that uses the same block as the N52 which is Mag/Alu.. so NO CI there....

Last edited by Perana XR8; 12-07-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #213
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB
Firstly, i'm not from toyota, secondly i'm not asking for or expect any support.

If you bother to notice my earlier posts. Here is a list of cars i have owned.

Since 1994 i have owned (purchased myself, not given as company cars)

94 EF Futura (1 year old)
95 Pulsar N15 (New)
96 EF II Future (1 year old)
99 AUI (new)
2000 AUII (new) + 2002 Impreza RS (new)
2003 BA XR6(New)
2005 Liberty 3.0R-B (new) - 2006 Outback 2.5i (New)
2007 Toyota Aurion ZR6 (new) (still have the 2006 outback).

Strongest bias seems to have been towards ford. (5 fords -v- 3 Subaru's, 1 Toyota, and a Nissan) The only difference now, is that i've seen the reality of what Ford is, and it's opened my eyes to a whole world full of much much better cars.

Some people here need to open their eyes and accept that there are other makes and model out there and that the Falcon isn't the be all and end all of the motoring world.

A lot of you talk like it would be the end of your world if the Falcon was released as a V6. Move on, get over it, wake up and open your minds to something other than a Falcon.

If you hate Fords so much why do you spend your time on a Ford Forum? I am sure there is a Toyota Forum around somewhere, where you can harp on about how wonderful a front wheel drive car is.

Debate on engine configuration is great. But you are dragging brands into it.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #214
DK30RB

Ok Lets get back to the I6 -v- V6 debate.

Would we all agree that a Lexus IS350, or RX350 is a class above the Falcon for smoothness and NVH levels. The rest of the world seem to think so.

Well the IS350 and RX350 renowed the world over for their smoothness etc etc have the same engine as the Aurion.

Are any of you willing to argue that the I6 is smoother than a lexus is350, or Rx350.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #215
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:

Would we all agree that a Lexus IS350, or RX350 is a class above the Falcon for smoothness and NVH levels. The rest of the world seem to think so.

Well the IS350 and RX350 renowed the world over for their smoothness etc etc have the same engine as the Aurion.

Are any of you willing to argue that the I6 is smoother than a lexus is350, or Rx350.
Your logic is flawed its not just the engine that makes it smooth. Its a range of engineering processes when a car is designed.

An I6 will always be smoother than a V6 its just simple fact of the design.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #216
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Your logic is flawed its not just the engine that makes it smooth. Its a range of engineering processes when a car is designed.

I agree, and like Boson said before, fundamentally an I6 has the ability to be smoother than a V6, yet after 50 years of development, the ford I6 has no where near the level of refinement of some V6's

For the $$$ they need to spend - its just not going to happen in the Australian Market.

If by some miracle the I6 becomes a world platform, only then it may see the R&D $$ to make it a world quality engine.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #217
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
IF you're comparing the optimal design of each, yes. The Ford I6 is by no means optimal. Just park your butt in a BMW for evidence of that.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #218
plext
Forum Director

And said butt will fit very nicely due to the pockets of your pants not being bulged by any cash.

I'm not sure what you two hope to achieve in this thread by harping on about the merits of other brands, but I assure you it's getting very wearisome. I suggest that you have made whatever point you set out to make, but have and will not convert anyone to your point of view.

This is a Ford forum and bashing of said product is looked upon as trolling. We don't like it and I suggest you end it here.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #219
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:

Let me present to you in an easy to read manner the problems I see.

1. Ford won't put a Toyota V6 in the Falcon, bad comparison.
  2. Toyota doesn't have a straight six to compare, bad comparison.
  3. An I6 is smoother than a V6, it's just how it works.
  4. If Ford stuffed socks down the pants of a V6 Falcon it would be smooth as well, bad comparison.
  5. Lexus are expensive luxury cars with development budgets the size of the economy of a small country, Falcons are not luxury cars, and have a stricter development budget, bad comparison.
  6. Falcons aren't world renowned for anything, they are a domestic, indeginous car built for an Aussie market. Bad comparison.
  7. Lexus/Toyota motors are powering cars only here. The Falcon engine goes into the car, on top of the Ute for hauling junk, the Wagon for hauling junk, and the Territory for hauling, well, itself. Bad comparison.
  8. Toyota has a money forest and worldwide support in development of it's products. Ford Australia has a lot less support to develop things.
  9. Being Ford Forums, we are down to earth people who can recognise people with superiority complexes or who undermine the efforts of hard working people such as the men and women at Ford Australia. We like Fords, and we will support them, whether a Toyota V6 is better than a Ford I6 or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
IF you're comparing the optimal design of each, yes. The Ford I6 is by no means optimal. Just park your butt in a BMW for evidence of that.
How much more development money does BMW have compared to Ford? How much more expensive is a BMW compared to a Ford?
How cheap is parts and labour on a BMW compared to a Ford?

I think Ford are trying to sell a car to families, fleet buyers and cabbies that will last, give reasonable economy and reasonable performance whilst being cheap to run and maintain.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #220
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
If by some miracle the I6 becomes a world platform, only then it may see the R&D $$ to make it a world quality engine.
Yes, only if the Falcon becomes available to a much larger market will it get a big investment, though Peter Robinson (very well respected by manufacturers/designers worldwide) regarded the BA as a world class (and coming of age for the Aussie manfacturers) vehicle. NVH, handling, engineering, build and all. Infact I think he commented on how well a Faimont Ghia compared to some very much touted names.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 12-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #221
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
I have been reading this thread and absolutely ****ing myself with laughter!

Are people seriously comparin the Falcon to the Aurion????

Are people here preaching the superiority of the Aurion and the V6 actually driven the Toyota???

I was expecting big things when I first drove the new Aurion it looke big and boofy like an Australian car should but I was sadly mistaken. The Aurion is mismatched shitbox.

The motor revs cleanly and high but it does not work well in a large and heavy FWD car.
In a smaller 3 series sized RWD car it would work well but the Aurion is the result of tight *** Toyota and their half assed efforts. Has anybody tried to turn a corner in the Aurion? Has anybody read the latest Wheels comparo with the Aurion?

As for the criticism being levelled at the Barra and the Falcon in general I can simply not believe it! Are these people driving the same car??
The Barra 190's at work grunt like a V8 and rev like a Honda, even my old Fairmont revs quite well. That's the thing I love about the Barra it's ability to match a torquey bottom end to a devastating top end!

Quality problems with the Falcon?? I never saw a tow truck throughout my entire childhood and that including growing up around the supposedly bad XT and XE.

My experience with Fords is that the electronics might go crap but it will never leave you stranded.

I hate repeating mself like a bloody parrot but I don't see the big deal about Toyotas supposed quality. The new Aurions at work have already been back to the workshop a few times, as have the Holdens, the Mitsubishis and happily there has only been one incident with one of the Fords (yep some crappy little electronic locking problem).

The Falcon six is a brilliant engine and it would be stupid to replace it as I don't think Ford have anything to match it's stump pulling power in their catalogue.
And for the Toyota lovers get your hand off it the Aurion is nothing special at all it doesn't rev any better than my 91 SOHC Laser, it's actually proved to be thirstier than the Falcon and the fact that Toyota rollling in cash can only build a car 0.1 seconds faster than a last generation, RWD and heavier base model falcon is just sad.

You are my hero.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #222
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Heres something for everybody to ponder!

The Aurion is 0.08 seconds faster than a BF XT Falcon.

But did you know that the Falcon Wagon is 0.15 seconds faster than the XT? (due to lighter suspension setup).

So technically the top of the line "sports" Aurion is slower and dynamically crapper than a Falcon Wagon :
Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #223
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:

But did you know that the Falcon Wagon is 0.15 seconds faster than the XT? (due to lighter suspension setup).

So technically the top of the line "sports" Aurion is slower and dynamically crapper than a Falcon Wagon :
Except that the 6 speed Falcon only 0.08 is slower, not the 4 speed, and the Wagon only comes with the 4 speed, so it would be slower. If the Wagon had the 6 speed, then it would be faster.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #224
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drawing a long bow saying a Falcon Wagon is dynamically superior too.. have you actually driven a Falcon wagon around corners?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #225
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

can one of the mods please close this thread. it has degenerated into a camry/falcon slanging match.

This thread was supposed to be about the report of the I6 being dropped.

And i would like to point out, that it is yet to be confirmed.

My reasons why to be sceptical

it is not the first time that a rumour like this has been published, so before everyone starts writing the I6 epitaph can we all please hold our tongues for some official confirmation.

Another point i would like to mention. the model cycle of the falcon is going to be at least 6 years, and if this story is true then only 2 years into the cycle then both engines (V6 and Hurricane v8) will be engineered into orion and changed. THIS DOESNT MAKE SENSE. That is why i am hugely sceptical.

the Boss is a huge, bigger in size than the FE big blocks, yet ford has engineered this into the Orion.

The hurricane (BOSS) V8 will be huge in size, as it will come in sizes of 5.8-7ish. and rumour has it that at some point in the model cycle it might make an appearance.

the I6 is a very long motor, its as long as a V12, and many v12's were discontinued for not partly due to the difficulties in packaging such a big engine.

a very simplistic analysis, a V6 (3 cylinders long) is relitively tiny in comparisson to a v8 (4 cylinders long and very wide) and an I6 (6 cylinders long). Whilst this is simplistic it does show that ford would have to engineer the orion platform for all this.

the V6 would leave a huge space in the engine bay, why would ford engineer the orion for an I6 if in 2 years they are going to replace it with a motor half the size??? why not put it in now??? Think of all the dynamic differences in designing a vehicle that this changes???

A month ago, everyone and their dog was calling the orion a dog for its "huge" front overhang caused by the I6, (im affraid that many on this forum just like to come online and flame everything, its a shame.) but why would ford design a vehicle that will be ripped apart by such people if 2 years later they were going to replace the engine and hence the main reason for such a long overhang.

the aus government handed out bulk cash to ford aus to keep development of the I6 and make it compatable for Euro 3 and i think Euro 4 as well. Why would they go back on this??? if someone else is paying for part of the development and the engine is competitive (which for all the banter and rubbish on this thread, it is a competitive engine).

Ford aus has proved for nearly 50 years that they can engineer the I6 for the 'next generation' when the wider media said the engine was finished.

With the polution gear that came with the XC, ford managed to engineer the I6 to comply.
WHen holden dropped the kingswood for the smaller more economical commodore, against the market trend of downsizing ford made the alloy headed falcon which was a success,
when holden again dropped 202 for the RB30 ford had the EFI XF which was competitive.
in the 90's, THe I6 was more than a match for the Buick and the Ecotec V6 due to the continued development (from 3.9 to 4.0, multi point fuel injection) also, the xr6 was a huge success against the supercharged commodores.

With AU, the VCT engine was a great piece of kit although it was hamstrung by the heavier IRS.

BA saw DOHC and VCT and the addition of a turbo and dedicated gas engine, and was praised by the media. think about it a 182kw/380nm engine when the norm was about 150kw. a 240kw turbo I6, remember the hype, and the even bigger hype with the 270kw F6??? Remember???

BF saw dual VCT and huge increases in NVH quality and Euro 3 compliance. The BF engine was widely praised and mostly favoured compared to the totally new and very costly GM WORLD Alloytec engine. Ford has done this on a small budget in a really small market, so before anyone critizises it, no one can say that it hasnt been versitile.

Ford falcon has used the I6 since 1960

holden big cars (Fx-eh-hr, Kingswood, torana, commodore) have used the I6 family (grey, red, blue etc), RB30, Buick/ecotec, Alloytec

the Toyota camry/avalon/aurion has used at least 2 or 3 different families of engines im sure, although im not familiar with them

Magna has as well.

im sure there are many more reasons why there is cause to be sceptical but i think this is enough to illustrate my point.

there will come a time where the I6 will have to be replaced by a totally new generation of engine, there is no denying that, but im affraid that i have a hard time believing that it will be in 2010 half way through a model cycle. it would make sense to do this at the start of the cycle, so either when orion is released or the next generation of new falcon after it.

thankyou and goodnight

Last edited by brodfloyd; 12-07-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #226
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

From a standing start, the Aurion is disadvantaged by being FWD. The rolling acceleration times are arguably more important in the real world. From 80-120km/h the Aurion is much faster than any of its rivals.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #227
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

i would like to point out, that it is yet to be confirmed.

My reasons why to be sceptical

it is not the first time that a rumour like this has been published, so before everyone starts writing the I6 epitaph can we all please hold our tongues for some official confirmation.

Another point i would like to mention. the model cycle of the falcon is going to be at least 6 years, and if this story is true then only 2 years into the cycle then both engines (V6 and Hurricane v8) will be engineered into orion and changed. THIS DOESNT MAKE SENSE. That is why i am hugely sceptical.

the Boss is a huge, bigger in size than the FE big blocks, yet ford has engineered this into the Orion.

The hurricane (BOSS) V8 will be huge in size, as it will come in sizes of 5.8-7ish. and rumour has it that at some point in the model cycle it might make an appearance.

the I6 is a very long motor, its as long as a V12, and many v12's were discontinued for not partly due to the difficulties in packaging such a big engine.

a very simplistic analysis, a V6 (3 cylinders long) is relitively tiny in comparisson to a v8 (4 cylinders long and very wide) and an I6 (6 cylinders long). Whilst this is simplistic it does show that ford would have to engineer the orion platform for all this.

the V6 would leave a huge space in the engine bay, why would ford engineer the orion for an I6 if in 2 years they are going to replace it with a motor half the size??? why not put it in now??? Think of all the dynamic differences in designing a vehicle that this changes???

A month ago, everyone and their dog was calling the orion a dog for its "huge" front overhang caused by the I6, (im affraid that many on this forum just like to come online and flame everything, its a shame.) but why would ford design a vehicle that will be ripped apart by such people if 2 years later they were going to replace the engine and hence the main reason for such a long overhang.

the aus government handed out bulk cash to ford aus to keep development of the I6 and make it compatable for Euro 3 and i think Euro 4 as well. Why would they go back on this??? if someone else is paying for part of the development and the engine is competitive (which for all the banter and rubbish on this thread, it is a competitive engine).

Ford aus has proved for nearly 50 years that they can engineer the I6 for the 'next generation' when the wider media said the engine was finished.

With the polution gear that came with the XC, ford managed to engineer the I6 to comply.
WHen holden dropped the kingswood for the smaller more economical commodore, against the market trend of downsizing ford made the alloy headed falcon which was a success,
when holden again dropped 202 for the RB30 ford had the EFI XF which was competitive.
in the 90's, THe I6 was more than a match for the Buick and the Ecotec V6 due to the continued development (from 3.9 to 4.0, multi point fuel injection) also, the xr6 was a huge success against the supercharged commodores.

With AU, the VCT engine was a great piece of kit although it was hamstrung by the heavier IRS.

BA saw DOHC and VCT and the addition of a turbo and dedicated gas engine, and was praised by the media. think about it a 182kw/380nm engine when the norm was about 150kw. a 240kw turbo I6, remember the hype, and the even bigger hype with the 270kw F6??? Remember???

BF saw dual VCT and huge increases in NVH quality and Euro 3 compliance. The BF engine was widely praised and mostly favoured compared to the totally new and very costly GM WORLD Alloytec engine. Ford has done this on a small budget in a really small market, so before anyone critizises it, no one can say that it hasnt been versitile.

Ford falcon has used the I6 since 1960

holden big cars (Fx-eh-hr, Kingswood, torana, commodore) have used the I6 family (grey, red, blue etc), RB30, Buick/ecotec, Alloytec

the Toyota camry/avalon/aurion has used at least 2 or 3 different families of engines im sure, although im not familiar with them

Magna has as well.

im sure there are many more reasons why there is cause to be sceptical but i think this is enough to illustrate my point.

there will come a time where the I6 will have to be replaced by a totally new generation of engine, there is no denying that, but im affraid that i have a hard time believing that it will be in 2010 half way through a model cycle. it would make sense to do this at the start of the cycle, so either when orion is released or the next generation of new falcon after it.

thankyou and goodnight
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #228
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Once again your posts just degenerate to how other cars are better than the Falcon!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #229
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
You could almost call the ecotec engine a buick.. Even though they used 3 differnt series of models of them they all came from the same house in some way.
LN3 (VN). L27 (VNII-VRII). L36 (VS-VYII). These names and numbers remind of the the dribble Chev uses with the LS engines:P.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 PM   #230
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Aussie
You could almost call the ecotec engine a buick.. Even though they used 3 differnt series of models of them they all came from the same house in some way.
LN3 (VN). L27 (VNII-VRII). L36 (VS-VYII). These names and numbers remind of the the dribble Chev uses with the LS engines:P.

i did mate thats why i put a '/' between them and not a ','
Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #231
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
How much more development money does BMW have compared to Ford? How much more expensive is a BMW compared to a Ford?
How cheap is parts and labour on a BMW compared to a Ford?
The point was that the Ford I6 is not the be all and end all of engine refinement, there are I6 engines made elsewhere that are smoother than any V6 on the market, and smoother than Ford's. The 4.0 is not some shining example of engineering perfection that cant possibly be bettered (the way some of you are carrying on, you'd think it was).

And given that this thread is about whether Ford moving to a V6 platform is a good or bad thing, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out the reasons why Ford's I6 is not so great and pointing out examples of V6s that are not so bad.

Fact: Ford Aus have a small development budget.

Fact: Ford arent making great strides with their I6 (as a result of above).

Fact: a V6 from the global parts bin frees up a large chunk of the development budget that could be spent on improving the car in other areas.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #232
LiL_Macka
("(O.o)") Fear the EL!!!

LIES LIES LIES!!!! How can a V6 be more fuel efficient, they're full of poop! Displacement is Displacement, Power is Power, Fuel is Fuel, you can't make power without burning fuel i dont give a rats what people say, The 4.0l is the best engine Australia has ever made...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #233
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
The point was that the Ford I6 is not the be all and end all of engine refinement, there are I6 engines made elsewhere that are smoother than any V6 on the market, and smoother than Ford's. The 4.0 is not some shining example of engineering perfection that cant possibly be bettered (the way some of you are carrying on, you'd think it was).
That's absolutely true, the Ford I6 has much room for improvement. But my point was simply saying that these things have to come at a cost, be it the purchase price, the cost of parts or servicing, and increased wear and tear, that's all.

I just think that a V6 Falcon would see a similar sales trend to the 3.2L EA Falcon.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #234
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

IMO V6's are garbage in a full weight Aussie sedan, i have had two recently, the last was a 3.5 twin cam Rodeo 147kw and a measly 280nm torque

It went ok until i hitched my work trailer up, economy went up to 18.5 litres per 100klm and it struggled to accelerate, my previous XH panel van used less fuel and ran rings around it as far as towing is concerned.
The I6 Falcon is proven as an all rounder, from cruising to towing heavy loads, it does it all well without having to rev the crap out of it.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #235
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
i did mate thats why i put a '/' between them and not a ','
The yanks take offence at Aussies calling it a Buick motor. They say it's a chev or GM engine the ecotec.. So i call it a Buick engine anyway:P.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #236
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Fact: Ford Aus have a small development budget.

Fact: Ford arent making great strides with their I6 (as a result of above).

Fact: a V6 from the global parts bin frees up a large chunk of the development budget that could be spent on improving the car in other areas.
Ford have and I believe will continue to make improvements to what is Australia's most refined and powerful 6 (in 270 F6 guise) ever made. In fact, I would go as far to say that the only remaining true all Aussie 6 is the best massed produced engine this country has ever manufactured. It continues to run rings around the GM product (even with it's worldwide budget) and only concedes to 6's from companies who have an R&D budget the size of Ford Oz's entire yearly spend. It has more power and torque than any engine ever sold in numbers more than 1000. Pretty impressive really.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Old 12-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #237
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Here is a lovely little reminder for everyone. We are blessed to have this platform and these engines. That is that!!!

Ford Fairmont Ghia BF Mk II: Sleek, sporty sophisticated

15 January 2007

Chris Riley,

The new Commodore is a hard act to follow. But we wouldn't go dismissing Ford's freshened up Falcon just yet.

It may be a familiar face, but there's nothing wrong with the underlying package – nothing that a nip here and tuck there can't cure.

The changes that Ford has introduced with the BF Mark II are subtle, but combined with attractive pricing and packaging make an appealing proposition. You'd be forgiven for not being able to pick the new car from the previous model.

However, Ford watchers will be able to spot the changes straight away.

Reflecting the rising cost of fuel, LPG, or E-Gas as Ford calls it, is now available virtually across the range apart from Fairlane and LTD.

Mark II features a new tapered bonnet, combined with a new grille and aggressive re-styled front bumper, sporty new headlights and revised rear bumpers on the sedan.

Most notable are the changes that have been made to Fairmont, which is looking decidedly more sporty these days.

Why bother, we wondered, when we saw that Fairmont was the thrust of Ford's new advertising campaign.

We thought everybody wanted a jellybean-coloured XR6 anyway. Apparently not and, after driving the new V8-powered Ghia (a competitor for Holden's Calais), we have to say we were immediately impressed.

It's quiet, it’s powerful and it's classy.

There's no rear wing for the boy racers but side skirts, a splash of chrome and the redesigned front grille give a sleeker, more sophisticated and sporty appearance.

Our test car was the top of the range V8-powered Fairmont Ghia priced from $51,490 – $7000 less than Calais V.

It leads the way with what Ford describes as a new Europeaninspired sports luxury exterior look.

It's highlighted by black boardered lights, redesigned chrome grille, jewelled fog lights, plus new front bumper finishes and new-look 17in sports alloys.

An exposed chrome exhaust, XR-style side skirts and rear bumper together with updated badging completes the package. The single overhead cam Barra 230 V8 engine delivers 230kW of power at 5350rpm and 500Nm of torque at 3500rpm.

Ghia gets the six-speed tipshift auto and dynamic stability control as standard.

Sports control blade rear suspension is also standard.

The smooth shifting, responsive and fast changing ZF transmission is a perfect match for the V8, delivering an excellent combination of power and economy.

The Ghia is a consumate performer, the only downside the intrusion of tyre noise on coarse bitumen.

Claimed fuel economy from the V8 is 13.2 litres/100km, but we were getting 12.4 – not bad for a V8.

Inside, a sporty new leather and alloy insert steering wheel complements the glossy black instrument console and black chrome instrument cluster with not a sign of wood in sight.

A range of dark and light colours serve to break up the interior trim, giving the interior a light, airy, inviting appearance.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #238
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

And:

Ford Fairmont Ghia BF
08 December 2005

It's difficult to believe the new BF Fairmont is from the same bloodline as the previous BA such is the improvement in refinement and performance.

Predictable claims about improvements with every new model from most car companies leads to a degree of cynicism every time a new model comes out but Ford definitely deserves a pat on the back with the BF.

While we haven't driven the base model XT, the top of the line six cylinder Fairmont Ghia ($52,860) carries most of the recently introduced improvements including a six speed automatic transmission.

Sourced from European outfit ZF, this transmission transforms the Fairmont Ghia from a droning, agricultural implement into a smooth sophisticate. Such a pity the old four speed auto lives on in lower than XR6 models. It's optional on XR6 and Fairmont.

Not only does the six speeder contribute to enhanced fuel economy and driveability but it's also responsible for a massive jump in smoothness.

The Fairmont Ghia glides now instead of lurching. The same would apply to other BA's with this transmission. And it has a sequential mode with up/down changes operating the right way – away for down, pull back for up. Other improvements to the BF include an upgrade to the 4.0-litre six cylinder engine now good for 190kW/383Nm output and numerous detail changes to the body and interior.

Fairmont Ghia has more "jewellery" than lower spec' cars although it's not over the top. The exterior has an attractive front with round parking lights, new headlights and bumper while the tail lights are also changed. Inside looks different in many small ways with better materials and more goodies to pamper occupants.

The Ghia now scores Dynamic Stability Control that networks a number of safety systems to help avoid a crash.

Driving the Ghia is a treat and I cannot see why you'd even think about a V8. The straight six has heaps of performance accessed readily by the silky auto. It's super quiet inside, not to Lexus standard but at the top of the local manufacturers.
Ride is comfy and controlled, the car looks the business with its 17in wheels and is roomy and safe. Why would you pay more for something from elsewhere that isn't as good?
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #239
buickman
buickman

[
Quote:
QUOTE=SpoolMan]That would be a big hit for Jobs in Geelong and the component company's in Oz,
Thats why the unions are trying to get Ford to reassure employees what is the long term plans in todays paper. We all want the inline 6 to stay but in the end its making a car cost effective to stay viable. I read they are lowering the entry level Focus prices to compete against the Corolla so thats a start to sell more cars. Only time will tell if Ford brings a V6 to Australia.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #240
dannyxm
was danny888

Another point to ponder:

How many Falcon taxis do you see filling up the traffic on Sydney's streets.

I seriously doubt that any car would cop the same abuse 24 / 7 as these Falcons and still be running.

The Falcon I6 in its lifetime most certianly has earnt its respect that is due.

If Ford replace it, it has a very hard act to follow...........