Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #241
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Final Commodore LS3 304kw 570nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
When a friend was showing off his R8 club sport to me most of the so called tech features didnt work or were cumbersome to use so in the real world after a few kays i dont think they really make the bomodore better

The park assist didnt find the 5 parking spots we drove past and the entertainment system took several minutes to boot up then was hard to find stuff Sync2 might have less features but works very well and boots quickly

so really the only think that consistently seems to make it better is the chassis/mechanical grip although i wonder if both had the exact same tyres how big that gap might be ?
If your friend’s car’s ‘most of the so called tech features’ doesn’t work then he should be back at the dealership demanding a fix.

Last edited by Express; 06-11-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Apauling sepeling :-)
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #242
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
If your friend’s car’s ‘most of the so called tech features’ doesn’t work then he should be back at the dealership demanding a fix.

Usually when the VF doesn't detect a parking space, it was either too small or most likely you were driving too fast. I've found it works quite well. MyLink can be slow to sync, but if you use the right USB Memory key it makes a huge difference.

Finally, yeah its a Ford forum, but if you call it Bombadore, chances are the car could have flown and it wouldn't have met your expectations.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #243
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Game Over lol

Ford Falcon XR8 vs Holden VF II Redline drag race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYEs...ature=youtu.be

They did this before as the SS Commy mysteriously wasn't available on the day of the test so they used the Redline which has wider rear tyres if I remember correctly?

Yep, it's the match-up you've all been waiting for.

Holden has now installed the 6.2-litre LS3 V8 in its final VF II Commodore series, producing 304kW/570Nm and gifting it a wicked engine note.

The Ford Falcon XR8, of course, continues with the - ahem - 335kW/570Nm 5.0-litre supercharged Miami V8 that we're all now familiar with.

As explained in the video, we have a manual Holden and an automatic Ford, which will annoy plenty of people, however there are a couple of good reasons for that.

Firstly, a manual Redline is what we could source on the day and Holden also claims 4.9sec from 0-100km/h for the manual versus 5.0sec for the auto, so theoretically the manual is the faster car.

Finally, it's important to mention that there was a strong headwind on the day, so both cars ran a couple of tenths off the best numbers we've managed, however it was obviously the same for both cars.

For the full comparison test with check out the new issue of MOTOR.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #244
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Pack of noobs at Motor. Manufacturer might claim 1 tenth quicker to 100km/h in manual guise, but the auto will still be faster down the strip every time. Comparing 0-100km/h times does not tell you which car will have actually covered more distance in that time. Some folks have a hard time wrapping their head around that concept.

And that drag race is a lie. A manual LS3 pulling within 2 tenths of an auto 5.0? Unless it's packing more than Holden claims, I don't buy it. Imagine if they ran an auto, it would have matched or beat the XR8. Not likely in my opinion. I've tested the VFII and it's really not much different from a series 1 in terms of grunt. At least you can hear it now.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #245
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

They grab the manual knowing the SS wont win but they have an out.....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #246
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I dont think they even stalled them up plus it was into a headwind so times could definitely be better.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #247
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

As previously discussed, the numbers don't add up.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #248
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It will be the exact same unit that was in the previous generation HSV. 340kw and 570nm. They've just done a dodgy with the badge I'm guessing. 304 sort of seems obvious.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #249
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Wasn't 340kw the number with the HSV performance pack or whatever it was?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #250
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Again, one run test down the quarter, if Motor or any other magazine are serious about proven and extracting the best times out of these cars they should run at least 3 test runs back to back.

If the XR8 was tested again down the quarter even with a strong headwind, you will find it will break into the 12s. While the LS3 will struggle improving its times.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #251
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Wasn't 340kw the number with the HSV performance pack or whatever it was?
Yes. It was just a different intake and exhaust.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #252
nz13boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Pack of noobs at Motor. Manufacturer might claim 1 tenth quicker to 100km/h in manual guise, but the auto will still be faster down the strip every time. Comparing 0-100km/h times does not tell you which car will have actually covered more distance in that time. Some folks have a hard time wrapping their head around that concept.

And that drag race is a lie. A manual LS3 pulling within 2 tenths of an auto 5.0? Unless it's packing more than Holden claims, I don't buy it. Imagine if they ran an auto, it would have matched or beat the XR8. Not likely in my opinion. I've tested the VFII and it's really not much different from a series 1 in terms of grunt. At least you can hear it now.
The average punter is more likely to do a quick 0-100k sprint, or part there of, then take said car to a drag strip. 0-100 dosent really tell you much, but its more real world then 180kph trap speeds in the real world, on a real road, with real traffic and real road rules.

Some people cant seem to get their head around the concept that despite having the benefit of a supercharged engine, a huge power advantage which is probably even greater when measured at the wheels, its only marginally quicker then the atmo dinosaur powerd SS. Both to a hundred and over the quarter.

Introduce corners and its game over, catch you later Xr8. Dosent mean the Xr8 is crap, just the SS is a allround better car. And it does it without a blower.

Wont bother talking about the tech side of things, whats the point.

I get this is a Ford forum, but credit where credits due, the SS is better performance car, period.

Everytime theres a comparo between Ford v GM theres always some lame excuses reeled out for why they got it wrong. Its either bias journos, unfair transmissions differences, unfair tyre sizing, weather, moon and stars arent aligned in Fords favour.........
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #253
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You want to compare street performance then compare 80-120km/h times

The XR8 humiliates the fastest manual SSv redline.

GAME OVER ��
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #254
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #255
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
It will be the exact same unit that was in the previous generation HSV. 340kw and 570nm. They've just done a dodgy with the badge I'm guessing. 304 sort of seems obvious.
It's not the same, it has no extractors or the HSV cold air intake setup. If it had the extractors it would have had the same specs as the HSV 317kw engine. The bigger HSV bi-modal exhaust bumped power to 325 and the 340 had some sort of trick air intake setup and some other little things.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #256
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I expected there to be a lot of daylight between the two so I’m surprised the Redline was even in the hunt.

The manual Redline has launch control, was it used in this video?

Was it the Redline making the girlie farty crackle, man I hate that sound.

I would have liked to have seen a few runs and not just one so as to get a better idea if the Redline can actually stay that close or if it was just a one off lucky thing.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #257
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz13boy View Post
The average punter is more likely to do a quick 0-100k sprint, or part there of, then take said car to a drag strip. 0-100 dosent really tell you much, but its more real world then 180kph trap speeds in the real world, on a real road, with real traffic and real road rules.

Some people cant seem to get their head around the concept that despite having the benefit of a supercharged engine, a huge power advantage which is probably even greater when measured at the wheels, its only marginally quicker then the atmo dinosaur powerd SS. Both to a hundred and over the quarter.

Introduce corners and its game over, catch you later Xr8. Dosent mean the Xr8 is crap, just the SS is a allround better car. And it does it without a blower.

I get this is a Ford forum, but credit where credits due, the SS is better performance car, period.

Everytime theres a comparo between Ford v GM theres always some lame excuses reeled out for why they got it wrong. Its either bias journos, unfair transmissions differences, unfair tyre sizing, weather, moon and stars arent aligned in Fords favour.........
Funny, the race tracks suggest otherwise.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #258
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's not the same, it has no extractors or the HSV cold air intake setup. If it had the extractors it would have had the same specs as the HSV 317kw engine. The bigger HSV bi-modal exhaust bumped power to 325 and the 340 had some sort of trick air intake setup and some other little things.
Its odd. The previous HSVs had 325kw and 550nm. The SV enhanced ones had 340kw and 570nm. This SS has ended up with the 570nm too but the low 304kw rating. I know it has a bi modal exhaust similar to the HSVs but dont know about the extractors. All of the intakes look the same across all performance Commodores even the SV ones. It just had some bi modal cold intake hidden behind the headlight that was different. The fact it keeps up with the XR8 which is known to have 375kw at peak suggests that its putting out more than the 304 suggested.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #259
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
I expected there to be a lot of daylight between the two so I’m surprised the Redline was even in the hunt.

The manual Redline has launch control, was it used in this video?

Was it the Redline making the girlie farty crackle, man I hate that sound.

I would have liked to have seen a few runs and not just one so as to get a better idea if the Redline can actually stay that close or if it was just a one off lucky thing.
I wouldve thought the basic launch control on these cars would've only helped repeat the best results, not necessarily make them faster.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #260
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Redline is a great car, pushrods and all. Bit of a dinosaur in the engine department but nice when you sit inside. For an everyday work car I really enjoy my time in mine. But for performance its gotta be a ford (F6). BUT drop a blower on the redline and its a great all rounder.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 03:21 AM   #261
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I wouldve thought the basic launch control on these cars would've only helped repeat the best results, not necessarily make them faster.

While in competition mode the Launch Control softens the traction control input to allow some slippage on launch where as normal mode kills power and bogs down to limit tyre spin and keep the world a safer place.

It allows the driver to push the accelerator pedal to the floor and maintain 4000rpm (don’t quote me on that figure) until they dump the clutch.

The whole idea is for a repeatable controlled quick release designed to give a faster 0-100 then what would be achieved in normal mode.

I’ve not tried it so how successfully it works I don’t know.

I also don’t know if you can turn the traction control completely off and try and do better launches yourself.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #262
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz13boy View Post

Not sure if you're trying to tell me I'm wrong, but the XR8 simply isn't "only marginally" quicker than the SS. That's nonsense. My daily is a VF SS and I've tested two SII Redlines and will be ordering a '16 to replace my '14. To start with it's hard to tell the difference between a series 1 and 2- and the 5.0 is much stronger than both. Not just screaming up top in a drag race, but everywhere else too. Low down, no comparison. Mid range, no comparison. That's what a blower does. If we're talking real world roads with real world punters, the XR8 is a comprehensively stronger car and it feels that way on the road.

And here's what I find amusing. The higher output LS3s have been getting comprehensively outrun by XR6Ts, F6s and 5.0s for many years. Now that Holden puts a detuned LS3 in an SS, suddenly it's a different engine? Suddenly the SC 5.0 is only marginally quicker? Get out of town. An XR8 is closer to a GTS than it is to an LS3 SS. And I really couldn't care less what's quicker in a straight line, it's an archaic way of comparing cars but if we're going to rate them like that, there's no denying that the XR8 isn't just marginally better. Take magazine numbers with a grain of salt. Half the time they're using a vbox on a back road with no grip, the rest of the time they're spitting nonsense like "the manual is rated 1 tenth quicker to 100, so it's a faster car over 400m". Where do they find these people? I hate to break it to them, but 0-100km/h is not a measure of distance. 0-400m is- and no manual SS will defeat an automatic in that measure. The quality of automotive journalism in this country is appalling and it's a shame that so many folks take them seriously.

I try to be fair and balanced. Every time someone says an XR8 handles as well as an SS, I tell them they're wrong- because they are. Not just lap time garbage, but how the car feels on the road. No comparison. Same goes for this new wave of folks who are convinced the baby LS3 in the new SS will run with an XR8, they're wrong. Yes I'm sure some people would love to take 5.0 owners down a peg. 5.0 owners love talking up how their cars obliterate V8 Holdens yadda yadda. Well like it or not, they do. And this LS3 update hasn't changed that. There is more than 2 tenths between them over 400m, regardless of what you see in a magazine. I encourage folks to put the magazine down and actually drive them.

Now the conspiracy theory- Holden's auto while pretty good in the VF, still isn't perfect. A manual series II Redline, for it's price, is basically a flawless car. It's got the grunt, the chassis, the technology, the brakes, the looks, the sound, etc. If Holden provided an automatic press car, it's no longer a perfect package because while the auto is pretty good, it's still bettered by the 6HP26 in some departments. I think they'd rather give away a few tenths over 400m than risk the reviewer(s) criticising aspects of the drive due to the transmission, bringing down an otherwise almost-flawless car.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #263
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Passed a dealer this morning Redline parked up front big '6.2L V8' on the front window. Mission accomplished.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #264
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

I love my series 1 VF SS Wagon, such a shame Ford didnt make a V8 wagon as there is a market for them, every second wagon you see is an SS, i havent had any dramas after 78000km in less than 2 years, it tows my moto-x trailer beautiful, i hardly use the automatic parking but i do when there is a group of people or i have mates in the car just to show off, the remote start function is my favourite, gets the air con or heater going which is great plus its fun to use when people are standng next to the car aswell.

If i could buy a wagon all over again i would get the SS-V or even the Clubby wagon
Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #265
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
While in competition mode the Launch Control softens the traction control input to allow some slippage on launch where as normal mode kills power and bogs down to limit tyre spin and keep the world a safer place.

It allows the driver to push the accelerator pedal to the floor and maintain 4000rpm (don’t quote me on that figure) until they dump the clutch.

The whole idea is for a repeatable controlled quick release designed to give a faster 0-100 then what would be achieved in normal mode.

I’ve not tried it so how successfully it works I don’t know.

I also don’t know if you can turn the traction control completely off and try and do better launches yourself.
Just hold the traction button for 5 seconds and it turns stability and traction off

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #266
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

1/4 mile 1/4 mile. Who cares. Can't remember the last time I did the 1/4 mile on my drive to work.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 11-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #267
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post

GAME OVER ��
All I can say is at least the Redline has a decent sized engine in it and not one of those ****y little 5 litre thingys.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #268
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
1/4 mile 1/4 mile. Who cares. Can't remember the last time I did the 1/4 mile on my drive to work.
Someone on here once told me I should get out more, I’m now passing the baton on to you.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #269
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All I can say is at least the Redline has a decent sized engine in it and not one of those ****y little 5 litre thingys.
the ****y little 5 litre is still quicker then the 6.2L so what's your point? .
Old 11-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #270
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post

GAME OVER ��
Incorrect, everywhere except NT allows a max of 110km/h.
So, may be 80 - 110km/h?

Or if you really want to test performance in real world, may be 0-60-0.