Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #241
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Open Speed Limit Highway in NT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I still reckon it won't get up, pressure will come to bear and he will have to politely recant the election promise.

I feel the same as the Chief Minister, and I know signs don't stop people speeding, but too many will see it as a challenge to see how fast they can go.
They already do that anyway. The difference is that if it is not illegal then the fun goes away for many and once you have done 200km/h and realise just how much fuel you will use most don't do it anymore.

The biggest problem with this whole issue is that some are getting very upset that others don't want to do what THEY think they should do. It is a control thing.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #242
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Poor old Harold, full of spite and hate, I guess deriving in part from his lack of success with his AUSFLAG - change_the_national_flag group days - he just doesn't get it.

Fanatical bunch.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #243
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It's on it way back. I have not posted on this, or any other public forum, the private details of converstaions I have had with people that are responsible for these decisions. And I wont. But the way politics are at the way they are at the moment. We are getting ever more close to the last bastion of freedom for people to make their own life choices. (//) it will be back again. Old harold will have to work real fast. Because when the road toll does not increase he will look like the FW that he is.

Will post later with a snippet of info when it is more concrete.
Old 16-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #244
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Poor old Harold, full of spite and hate, I guess deriving in part from his lack of success with his AUSFLAG - change_the_national_flag group days - he just doesn't get it.

Fanatical bunch.
The worst thing about Harold is that there are many genuine pedestrian issues in cities but he's the worst person imaginable to represent them. It's like having Saddam Hussein representing motorists interests. Total embarrassment to any cause.

And I suspect there isn't a "bunch", just him and his fax machine.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #245
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Old 16-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #246
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-1...012?section=nt
Old 17-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #247
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
uh oh, we have a speed wobble, I told you so

Quote:
The Country Liberals now say they will review 130 kilometre an hour speeds on major highways
not 'change' but 'review'
Old 17-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #248
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
uh oh, we have a speed wobble, I told you so

not 'change' but 'review'

Not exactly a speed wobble. Just the opposition trying to gain some political points. If you actually lived up here, you would know that the majority of Territorians are in full support of the current governments policy. Which is to review the 130 limit and remove where it is deemed safe to do so. Dont get too smug just yet,,,,,,,,
Old 17-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #249
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is always amusing that the strongest opponents to the NT open zones do not live in nor regularly visit NT.
Old 17-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #250
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is always amusing that the strongest opponents to the NT open zones do not live in nor regularly visit NT.

Aint that the truth!!
Old 17-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #251
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone correctly pointed out that the Federal Government only fund the major highways in the N.T. aren't these the same roads that the N.T. Government want to up the speed limits on. This should get interesting.

Hey, I am in favour of quicker speeds but the people driving and the infra-structure just don't support it
Old 17-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #252
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Someone correctly pointed out that the Federal Government only fund the major highways in the N.T. aren't these the same roads that the N.T. Government want to up the speed limits on. This should get interesting.

Hey, I am in favour of quicker speeds but the people driving and the infra-structure just don't support it

As has been posted a couple of times here now, the Stuart, Victoria and Barkly are considered vital defense infrastructure. Yes the feds fund it, but are unlikely to stop funding for it. As far as the people driving it goes, I agree that that is a variable that cannot be calculated. Most Australians have been dumbed way down in road craft. As before Territorians will become the best long distance high speed drivers in the country. It only comes with experience. But if you want to tootle along at 100, thats fine too.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #253
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:

There are way to many people in Australia who love nothing better than telling other people what they should and shouldn't do. Most of us have had enough of the "Nanny State".

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #254
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

And it won't be COMPULSORY to go as fast as you can!!

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #255
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:

The Commonwealth *will not* cut road funding from the NT budget becuase of the reintroduction of (//) over some existing 130km/h lengths.

The 'people driving' were the same lot as before (residents), and besides - people adapt pretty quickly - thats the German experience anyhow.

The (//) sign was removed from Australian Standards by Labor activists in academia, as part of the Committee comprising AS1742.4, but ways and means....
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #256
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

New info released with FACTS and figures about the NT road toll. It should be in here http://alicenow.com.au/news/general/ in a week or so. It is printed in the Centralian Advocate today but there is lots of info and more than a few charts.
The over riding assumption made from the data is that the main cause of road trauma is, booze, no seat belt, fatigue, with speed in all classes either the lowest or second lowest cause of trauma.

The government here is continuing with its road condition audit and analysis of the information. One of the main differences here is that they are able to compare pre 130kph and post 130kph time zones.

Comparing the info with what I have saved from 5 years ago it is aparent that many of the figures in this new report were either left out or ignored by the road safety task farce that forced the speed limits in the first place.

Harold Screwloose has had his usual threats and ranting printed as usual. I have heard that by Feb next year the (//) should start to appear again on some stretch's of road. With new sections added as the roads are repaired or brought back up to standard. We wait patiently.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #257
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

And I'm selling the turbo *sigh*

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #258
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I forgot to metion above. The new Guv is only using figures taken from the areas of open hiway. That is, a pedestrian run over in Darwin will not be included in the research. By including these type of accidents the facts can be seriously skewed.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #259
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The over riding assumption made from the data is that the main cause of road trauma is, booze, no seat belt, fatigue, with speed in all classes either the lowest or second lowest cause of trauma.
Great stuff! Goes against every bit of advertising/brainwashing from all other states governments!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #260
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1226489176551

OPEN speed limits could be restored to outback Northern Territory roads within a year, a senior government minister says.

A maximum speed limit of 130km/h was announced by the former Labor government in late 2006.

The Country Liberals, who have opposed the speed restrictions since they came into force in January 2007, returned to power in August.

Northern Territory Attorney-General John Elferink said open speed limits could be revived within a year despite some evidence showing a link with road fatalities.

"We certainly haven't ruled that out," Mr Elferink told reporters in Brisbane on Friday ahead of a meeting with his federal and state counterparts.

"The open speed limits have been controversial but in truth, we are a territory which enjoys certain liberties and freedoms but nothing, nothing at all about an open speed limit says that a person can drive dangerously.

"What it means is we trust drivers' judgement to drive in a safe manner suited to the road conditions."

My comment, the media says there is a link, inferring that the speed causes deaths to the reading public, but its the opposite isnt it?!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #261
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

And that's something that really irks me about governments and speed limits. They just don't trust anyone to be able to make a decision about what speed is safe. I applaud that John bloke you have for saying an open limit doesn't mean drive as fast as you can (or dangerously to quote exactly) but that he trusts a drivers judgement to drive to his ability, conditions and cars ability. That's key.

I've never been to NT nor would I specifically travel there just for an open limit (as I've heard someones concern was) but I love the idea of an open limit back.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #262
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it was an open speed limit you could not just drive flat out anyway, as the cops would nab ya at there discretion.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #263
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After having an initial jab at a higher speed "to see what it's like", most people will settle down to a speed that they're most comfortable with, according to factors like fuel economy, travel time, concentration etc. I find personally that about 130 is most comfortable, but being able to go up to about 150 for safe overtaking is useful to have without being distracted by having to watch your speedo, radars etc. Others will have their own preferences.

Really, being able to drive at a speed appropriate to the circumstances without the stress of watching speedo and for highway patrol lurking in bushes is indescribable. Only a few weeks now and I will have to come back to all that crap and I'm not looking forward to it at all. And it won't be making me feel safe that's for sure.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #264
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Another news report. Not sure about the comment "Northern Territory Attorney-General John Elferink said open speed limits could be revived within a year despite some evidence showing a link with road fatalities"

As far as all the information that I have seen, that has not been tampered with, there is no link between the derestriction of speed limits and fatalities.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...35_ntnews.html

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...lifestyle.html

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/201...71_ntnews.html (this is an older article)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #265
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

ARRB in Viktoria are carrying out the review. I already know this group. Interesting NT is so compelled to do so:-)

http://www.arrb.com.au/home.aspx

On speed:-
http://www.arrb.com.au/admin/file/co...ure%202010.pdf

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #266
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
ARRB in Viktoria are carrying out the review. I already know this group. Interesting NT is so compelled to do so:-)

http://www.arrb.com.au/home.aspx

On speed:-

Interesting KL. Are these people ideologically driven like our Mr Screwloose or are they open and honest in their assesments??
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #267
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting KL. Are these people ideologically driven like our Mr Screwloose or are they open and honest in their assesments??
I have been led to believe an appropriate metaphore would be "The Taliban guide to implementation of education in all girl schools".
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #268
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
I have been led to believe an appropriate metaphore would be "The Taliban guide to implementation of education in all girl schools".
Yeah, I was going to say that it depends where they get their funding from, lol.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #269
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
Yeah, I was going to say that it depends where they get their funding from, lol.
The U.S :P

wouldn't mind going to the NT to get away for 4 weeks at the end of the year, but if the highways are what I think they are... I couldn't put up with the boredom 130kph limit, it's a struggle to drive vic to qld at 110...
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #270
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
The U.S :P
Nah - there too busy with other plans to fund stuff:-
H.R. 6566: Mass Fatality Planning and Religious Considerations Act

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...341b3cdeeb3565