Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #241
sandmanls1

Is Steve Bisley arriving in one of those dodgy old Jag's from the Big Steal?, or maybe the Monaro? How about the Cedric - that would be a good one... Half baked old celebrities come on.

fiesta.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertain...650986432.html
sandmanls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #242
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomST
Its amazing seeing a lot of you guys carving up a show on its first episode by comparing it to a show that has been running for over 10 years. Take a look at some of the early Top Gear episodes (the ones with Tiff Needell, Vicki-Butler Henderson and Jeremy Clarkson) and then watch the recent British Top Gears and Fifth Gears and look at the huge improvements that have been made.

You are spot on.

While I had reason to scoff several times during the first episode.... I kept reminding myself that it is exactly that, the 1st.

They'll get some rythm, they'll find their feet.

Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #243
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compared to the BBC Version it was Rubbish.

Firstly none of the Presenters seem to know how to drive properly let alone
Performance Driving like we often see on the BBC Version (from the Presenters).

The Humor was so fabricated & pathetic.

They crammed way to much into the show which gave the effect of the show being run at double the speed of the BBC version & made me Jumpy watching it, with the BBC version you can Relax a bit.

The Younger presenter needs to go as he just made me feel :

And Glenn Ridge at least has some Class & is a far better Presenter as well.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #244
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'll give it some time but was disapointed.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #245
Ringo
I see you....

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one.

Not as polished as the UK version sure but sheesh at least we can relate to this one a little more.

Mrs Ringo is a take it or leave it with cars on TV watched the whole thing and we were having a huge laugh at some of their stuff.

Full credit to them for lining up the list of cars that they did. Jurno's are always complaining that they can't test certain cars because they are not available - hope that continues.

Agree 100% with previous comments about this car show being the best of a very average bunch. Did Glenn Ridge's program ever show a RAV4 V6 getting airbourne over sand dunes ? Nup. Are we likely to see more of it on this show - hell yeah.

10/10 for getting the show up and running and on the air (the hard bit)
10/10 for effort put in to make it entertaining (the people and the plan)
7/10 for execution..

I would have given an extra point for having a run around the test track to explain the corners and what they would highlight in the cars characteristics...
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #246
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1

And Glenn Ridge at least has some Class & is a far better Presenter as well.
Glenn Ridge sucks.....I know there is a petrol head race driver in him but all I see, and hear, is an accountant.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #247
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That John Farnham clone gets on the nerves, imo, and the humour is sh!t. We'll see how it pans out over time though shall we?
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #248
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I'll give it some time but was disapointed.
Me to!
Old 30-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #249
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220XR8
May as well put the F6 up against The Generals quickest...W427
Pointless when they're not even in the same ballpark price range.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #250
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't keep up with the posts but had to add my two bob. I Agree with most comments thus far: Good, Bad, Ugly

The Ugly:

Unimagitive copy right down to the last nut and bolt, even the personality types. Where the hell is the Aussie twist you morons? Welcome to formula TV... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Absolutley S#it house test track. and

Well and truely Forced delivery.

The BAD:

Vince, sheesh? calm down man. You were great on underbelly. On TGA you just looked like a try hard. As did the presenters for much of it.

Lack of detail on the road tests, Unlike yourself I can't remeber the last time I drove a new 250K Porshe. Give us some detail bloke!

The GOOD:

The cartoonist fella wasn't too bad I must say. At least he seemed normal, not like the other two.

Next week they are going to have some aussie muscle on the show. Good marketing ploy, at least I'll go back for that.
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #251
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

I guess all we can hope for is that is gets better over time.
come on HSV for the ep 2 :P:P:P
Old 30-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #252
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think some of those stories must of been cut down due to time. The Mayback one especially.

The Vince Colosimo interview was just painful.

Presenters are ok I think just the main one needs changing. Copying Clarkson at every oppurtunity. Would of been good to have our own Aussie style lead presenter.

Is it just me or does the test track look like a straight slalom run instead of an actual race track?

The show should be ok with some minor tweaks.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #253
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

You guys sound like a bunch of (dare I say it) winging Poms.

The show wasn't Top gear but it was definitely better then I expected for the first episode.

I was also wondering if anyone actually knew that it was Top gear Australia, not the Aussie car show.

The same production team from the UK dose both the shows, so I expected the show to be similar. And it was.

The show I'm sure will grow on most as time goes on, the guys will get better as it starts to be a bit more free flowing with there speech and have less scripting.

Give em a chance for phuk sake!

Last edited by XplodE; 30-09-2008 at 10:31 PM.
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #254
smee323
Yes it is mine...

It's a franchise, and should work as such. The program has been proven over how many years and they tried to do too much in too short a time. Tell me something. Fast Fours has more journalistic credit.

If it were a Mcdonalds it would have been shutdown before the customer spat the first mouthful of burger onto the floor.

I could have done the same report on the Maybach from a JB HiFi store in a deck chair. Take a pair of Sennheisers off the shelf and plug it into an in dash MP3 player. It showed me nothing of the latest car and what they had added in the 2-3 years it has been in production.

Yeah give it time, but they have (is it 9) years of worth of programs to base themselves on. What are you people doing.

D+ may not watch again.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #255
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I can see them having guests from neighbors before long. right after "holden racing legend(TM), mark skaife". Id like to have a show that people outside of australia can also enjoy but that just went out the window.

why not just have 3 proven australian comedians. Doesn't matter if they don't know everything about cars or are the best drivers, neither did the top gear UK team really. comedians know how to deliver a joke and make the audience laugh, you either have that or you dont. they didnt.
Old 30-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #256
bafel

Geez ease up people!

for a pilot episode it was quite good. The presenters would have been nervous as all hell, not many shows were you have an audience surrounding you hanging on every bit of conversation like that.

Give it time and they will be more confident in themselves and their own personalities will come out more, and a little more local content will help too
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #257
ashmann
Fastideous Car Owner

What a huge disappointment it was... utter clap trap! First episode, and no mention of any true "Aussie" muscle cars...... who cares about the Lambo, the Lotus, the Maybach.... where was an FPV or HSV??
Old 01-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #258
xls3v

dont know if anyone said it yet but wtf was the wussy with the pink hair in the crowd doing watching top gear......
to make it worse he didnt cop any s$#t from the clarkson knock off
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #259
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeez what a tough crowd.

I thought it was pretty good for their first show, far better than any other Australian Car show that I have seen, of course no match for TGUK however there was no way it was going to come close to that since it has around 100 episodes behind it in its current format and has been around since 1977! in saying that the 1st Season of 'New' Top Gear was no where near as good as what it is now.

With some adjustments it will be quite good! Give it time people!

Quote:
All I'm gonna say is why the hell would you have someone on a show like that who REDLINES a STATIONARY new lambo???? Completely unproffessional. Would the british guys do such a thing?? NO
Hrmm i seem to remember Mr Clarkson doing exactly that a while back, unsure whether it was a Lambo or some other Supercar though......

Ratings looked fairly good too:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-12377,00.html

Second series already on its way!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #260
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof062
Why no little aus car for the time trial. Their is only one clarkson!
Tries to think of a little Aussie car....
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #261
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

There's going to be a fair dinkum riot when the R8 crosses the line first......... some of you lot are going to be ready to bust a cap in someones ***.

At least the F6 will win the burnout contest.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #262
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKHMR
It looks like it could be Jason Bargwanna as he is sort of a small guy.
Thats exactly what I thought, sort of short and stumpy, little bit of a gut and seemed to have his driving style, although i'm having trouble remembering exactly how he sits and steers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #263
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A few things that really annoyed me.

1- They did very little talk about the actual car they were driving. On UKTG when they drive a car they always give power outputs, 0-60 mph times, top speed and type of engine, sometimes they will talk about its drive configuration and gearbox type. I can't rmember any of that on this aussie version. They didn't even have a conclusion to which one was best or good and bad points of the soft roader test. That was ridiculous. No mention on what they thought they drove like either. Clarkson will always give a drive verdict and what he likes and doesn't like.

2- The track was lame, it seemed like all the corners were 90 degree bends, no smooth flowing corners. It was more like a motorknana than a race track.

3- Seems like they really don't have the sort of car knowledge as the UK guys. I mean anyone who thinks the 253 is a great engine knows nothing about cars. Clarkson would have bagged the crap out of a guest for suggesting such a crap engine was good. Seems like the host didn't want to offend Colosimo so he just agreed with him. Clarkson speaks his mind and doesn't care who he offends. This really needs to be drummed into the aussie hosts.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #264
blue_xR_six
Starter Motor

something about the way they did the show just didnt sit well with me. i dont know about you guys but I changed the channel halfway through and didnt come back.

What is point in creating an "aussie" top gear if they are just cheap knock-offs of the UK show. I agree also that they were very very rehearsed, even when they were supposed to be ad-libing. As some of the other members mentioned I would have liked the pilot show to have taken more of an interest in cars that we see on the streets here.

Come-on SBS...drop it and put the UK re-runs back on!
blue_xR_six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #265
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the boat of good effort first time out. My wifes sitting there saying this is rubbish, turn it off. Not as funny as that pommy guy!

But I persisted and didn't mind it. I hope it does get better with time.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #266
GTP-814
love the quad cams

[QUOTE=Torxteer]I
Is it just me or does the test track look like a straight slalom run instead of an actual race track?

The track was created at Avalon airport in melb & is only temporary for each show, but I'm with you, I hope they do a better job next time or have a few more cameras arouind the track
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #267
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I pretty much agree with everyones sentiments so far - I was dissapointed and switched channels halfway through - Top Gear is about nutty performance cars not softroaders...

HOwever despite our feelings couple of facts I heard on the radio yesterday:
1) The premier attraced almost 1 million viewers
2) It was the highest rating locally produced show EVER shown on SBS.
3) Due to points 1+2 it can be confirmed that the network has signed off on a second season.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #268
Bossxr8
Peter Car

[QUOTE=GTP-814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
I

The track was created at Avalon airport in melb & is only temporary for each show, but I'm with you, I hope they do a better job next time or have a few more cameras arouind the track
Its not at Avalon, its Camden Airport in Sydney.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #269
ltd
Force Fed Fords

They should call it "second gear".

Quote: