Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #241
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: According to Drive Ranger XL and XLS are not selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
$2800 for intake and egr clean, new glow plugs, delete egr cooler and replumb, catch can install, new fuel filter and coolant change, plus dyno tune.

Any used diesel would be clogged up with 110k's on it if it didnt have preventative measures from day 1, yes.
The egr issue is due to failures on Rangers, not sure about other brands as its irrelevant to me.
Point is, buying new for the same coin eliminates the cost of repairs thanks to the warranty so its just a case of install the catch can and drive it.
Most of those things you have listed for $2800 are totally un needed in a properly maintained and driven vehicle.And what makes you think those “necessary mods” are not needed on a new car.You seem a bit contradictory in your comments
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #242
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So it would seem to me the best bet for a lower specced Ranger would be a 140-150 kw bigger 4 or small V6 petrol.No catch cans for those that THINK every diesel should have one.no 3-4 thousand dollar injector replacements.no expensive fuel filters etc.just regular $300 dollar 15000 km services.Sell it for $40k DA?probably sell thousands
Pretty sure the new Silverado has an unleaded 2.7L 4 cylinder turbo option - first time they've done this in a full size ute.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a398...linder-review/

Mind you, the VW Amarok is going to have the 2.3L Ecoboost in top spec form.

The Ford Courier had the 4L V6 SOHC from that era Exploder in it as an option.

I've got a Thailand Special with an unleaded 2.6L NA 4 cylinder engine, does 12L/100km with me driving it and I flog the **** out of it every time I'm behind the wheel - its 1980s spec engine, 8.4:1 compression ratio, SOHC.

All the unleaded cars get 98 though so the cost per kilometer is probably a bit higher than if I used 91.

Given the prices of diesel, be interesting to see the differences between something running on E10/91 vs diesel for a work ute, also taking into account maintenance costs, unleaded engines are cheaper for filters compared to their diesel counterparts.

Is anyone here using fuelly and has a diesel Thailand Special? Be interesting to see your cost per kilometer but in the last 6 month period - last 6 months my Focus works out to be 0.15c/km

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-12-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #243
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
So it would seem to me the best bet for a lower specced Ranger would be a 140-150 kw bigger 4 or small V6 petrol.No catch cans for those that THINK every diesel should have one.no 3-4 thousand dollar injector replacements.no expensive fuel filters etc.just regular $300 dollar 15000 km services.Sell it for $40k DA?probably sell thousands
Agreed, exactly what I suggested when I was considering an XLS a few months ago.
Unfortunately Ford dont offer it below the Raptor and VW plan to market it(2.3EB) as a premium offering.
I dont need 600nm of stump pulling torque or the costs associated with it but what choice is there below $50k, a used diesel with the possibility of expensive maintenance or a new China special.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #244
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Pretty sure the new Silverado has an unleaded 2.7L 4 cylinder turbo option - first time they've done this in a full size ute.

I've got a Thailand Special with an unleaded 2.6L NA 4 cylinder engine, does 12L/100km with me driving it and I flog the **** out of it every time I'm behind the wheel - its 1980s spec engine, 8.4:1 compression ratio, SOHC.

All the unleaded cars get 98 though so the cost per kilometer is probably a bit higher than if I used 91.

Given the prices of diesel, be interesting to see the differences between something running on E10/91 vs diesel for a work ute, also taking into account maintenance costs, unleaded engines are cheaper for filters compared to their diesel counterparts.

Is anyone here using fuelly and has a diesel Thailand Special? Be interesting to see your cost per kilometer but in the last 6 month period - last 6 months my Focus works out to be 0.15c/km
Im currently getting 10l/100 from my Ranger which at current prices is 20-25cp/km.
Old 22-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #245
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Im currently getting 10l/100 from my Ranger which at current prices is 20-25cp/km.
Its about on par with my ute on 98, mind you its also a 35 year old engine platform.

Its getting close to a refill, I might see if we can grab a tank of E10 for comparison sake with cents per km compared with 98, I've got no local E10 servos around.

Curious to see DFB's figures, he has a single cab PXII Ranger as his work vehicle.

With the prices of diesel so high surely unleaded engines would be back on the radar for the Thailand Specials, wonder if its line ball running costs with the 60c/L difference or what ever it is at the moment between 91 and diesel.

They had one in the PX Ranger on introduction which was killed off in PXII, but mind you they had Falcon/Commodore ute back then too and the price disparity between unleaded and diesel wasn't as ridiculous as it is now.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-12-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 22-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #246
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Most of those things you have listed for $2800 are totally un needed in a properly maintained and driven vehicle.And what makes you think those “necessary mods” are not needed on a new car.You seem a bit contradictory in your comments
Rubbish, any diesel with an egr will clog up with soot, unless you open it up you dont realise the drop in performance as its gradual.
Dealers offer chemical cleans which are just superficial as they dont get in to every spot and cost $200 per treatment on top of servicing.
The cooler failures are a known issue on Rangers and can result in expensive repairs.
Glow plugs are a non essential but with intake removed are worth doing at the same time, the fuel filter has to come off to get to the intake so again, might as well put a new one on and the coolant needs replacing so with the system opened to reroute the egr cooler plumbing might aswell drop the lot.
The tune shuts down the egr altogether.

On a new vehicle the intake is clean, the glow plugs new, no need to shut off the egr if you add the catch can.
No worry about cooler failures as warranty covers it.
Just drive it until warranty expires and handball all the potential problems to the next owner as the people who owned our Ranger before us did.
Old 22-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #247
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Just drive it until warranty expires and handball all the potential problems to the next owner as the people who owned our Ranger before us did.

That's what Ive been doing for the last 20 years. Works good
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #248
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
That's what Ive been doing for the last 20 years. Works good
Agreed, but if youre only spending $40k you cant do that in a Ranger, hence my point that in many ways $36k on a GWM is probably a better proposition than $36k on a used Ranger with unknown ongoing costs.
Old 22-12-2022, 05:45 PM   #249
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, but if youre only spending $40k you cant do that in a Ranger, hence my point that in many ways $36k on a GWM is probably a better proposition than $36k on a used Ranger with unknown ongoing costs.
Yeah and before the Chinese manufacturing gets too much canning.maybe check how many Thai built makes( by all makers) have a percentage of chinese made components
Old 22-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #250
hayseed

Quote:
Oof - $53K DA.

https://www.trucksales.com.au/items/...AG-AD-16699032

EDIT: Didn't notice that your listing was for 4x4
I'm Guessing A Manual One would ~$50K...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 07:48 PM   #251
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm Guessing A Manual One would ~$50K...
No such thing as a manual Ranger for the Australian market now, auto only.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #252
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Its about on par with my ute on 98, mind you its also a 35 year old engine platform.

Its getting close to a refill, I might see if we can grab a tank of E10 for comparison sake with cents per km compared with 98, I've got no local E10 servos around.

Curious to see DFB's figures, he has a single cab PXII Ranger as his work vehicle.

With the prices of diesel so high surely unleaded engines would be back on the radar for the Thailand Specials, wonder if its line ball running costs with the 60c/L difference or what ever it is at the moment between 91 and diesel.

They had one in the PX Ranger on introduction which was killed off in PXII, but mind you they had Falcon/Commodore ute back then too and the price disparity between unleaded and diesel wasn't as ridiculous as it is now.
9.1 - 9.2 all day, every day. And the thing is driven at 75 - 100% throttle almost every where I go as the thing so bloody gutless.

I have had two diesel Ranger's now, but only because there was no other option. I do worry about all the short distances I do and the effect this will be having on the EGR systems.
Mustang GT

Old 22-12-2022, 07:57 PM   #253
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The 2.5 petrol in the PX was a dud. It had very similar power and significantly less torque than the diesel. Why would you? And when I say diesel, I mean the 2.2. Not even the 3.2. Plus it used more fuel just to top it off. No wonder it didn't sell.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #254
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The 2.5 petrol in the PX was a dud. It had very similar power and significantly less torque than the diesel. Why would you? And when I say diesel, I mean the 2.2. Not even the 3.2. Plus it used more fuel just to top it off. No wonder it didn't sell.
Probably suited basic ute buyers.Enough power,cheaper servicing etc.Not everyone needs to get to 100 kmh in 8 seconds or whatever.More so now that diesel has a 20% price premium over petrol
Old 22-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #255
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Exactly, plus you had so many other options available to you as well, why would you buy PX Ranger 2.5 unleaded over FG Falcon ute? However in 2022 the scenario changes with diesel being 60c/L more than 91.

Mind you I think it was sub $20K or low $20K back then on PX launch, so you would because it was cheap.
Old 22-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #256
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Probably suited basic ute buyers.Enough power,cheaper servicing etc.Not everyone needs to get to 100 kmh in 8 seconds or whatever.More so now that diesel has a 20% price premium over petrol
Obviously the 2.2 diesel suited basic ute buyers better because no one bought the petrol slug.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 08:06 PM   #257
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Obviously the 2.2 diesel suited basic ute buyers better because no one bought the petrol slug.
Does it though? Workmate Hilux comes with 2.7L unleaded engine and they sell quite a few of those.
Old 22-12-2022, 08:08 PM   #258
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
9.1 - 9.2 all day, every day. And the thing is driven at 75 - 100% throttle almost every where I go as the thing so bloody gutless.

I have had two diesel Ranger's now, but only because there was no other option. I do worry about all the short distances I do and the effect this will be having on the EGR systems.
What does 9.2L/100km work out to be in cents per kilometer at current diesel prices?
Old 22-12-2022, 08:13 PM   #259
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I would have considered the 2.5 petrol, but it was discontinued as the PX MK II went on sale.

2.5 Duratec Petrol - 122 kW of power at 6000 rpm and 226 Nm of torque at 4500 rpm. (5 speed manual only)

2.2 Duratorq Diesel - 118 kW of power at 3200 rpm and 385 Nm of torque at 1600 rpm. (6 speed manual only on the SCC, apparently the auto is terrible anyway)

I know what engine I would prefer to be thrashing on every day, and it's not the diesel.
Mustang GT

Old 22-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #260
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I saw a single cab ute out in the wild today.

It wasn't a fleet car either, the tray on the back was too fancy.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #261
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What does 9.2L/100km work out to be in cents per kilometer at current diesel prices?
About 19c per km at $2 litre
Old 23-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #262
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

The US Ranger will have something else that would be a good option. Reveal should be in the 1st quarter next year.

Whether Ford look at potentially having it here would depend on how the price disparity between diesel and petrol sits. In theory it won’t stay that way forever, but how long it lasts before it returns to normal is anyones guess.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #263
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably moreso because the diesel was a bit more economical back then when diesel was the same price or cheaper.Now because we are getting really gouged by the oil companies on diesel pricing the petol would be a much better option.Probably a lot of owners who,like me don’t need the power of the 3.2 90% of the time.but the other 10% of time I find it handy.Most of the time running around empty a 6-7km/100 and 100 or so kw would be fine for me
Old 23-12-2022, 01:26 PM   #264
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$2800 for intake and egr clean, new glow plugs, delete egr cooler and replumb, catch can install, new fuel filter and coolant change, plus dyno tune.

Any used diesel would be clogged up with 110k's on it if it didnt have preventative measures from day 1, yes.
The egr issue is due to failures on Rangers, not sure about other brands as its irrelevant to me.
Point is, buying new for the same coin eliminates the cost of repairs thanks to the warranty so its just a case of install the catch can and drive it.
Im pretty sure there are plenty of diesels driving around with 110K plus without being clogged up.
nearly all of them have EGRs too that will never have any issues in their lifetime.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #265
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Im pretty sure there are plenty of diesels driving around with 110K plus without being clogged up.
nearly all of them have EGRs too that will never have any issues in their lifetime.
I just sold my 2010 3 ltr Ranger at 287000 kms.Never had to do any sort of internal cleaning and it still performed as it was supposed to.But I presume mine must have been the only one that didn’t need it or an EGR delete or even a catch can
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #266
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
About 19c per km at $2 litre
$2.20/L out here at the moment,

Next two tanks in mine I'm going to chuck E10 in it and see what that brings the cents per kilometre down to - E10 $1.68/L at the moment
Old 23-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #267
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Agree, was talking to my mechanic recently in regard to manifold & EGR clogging, he stated the PX rangers are nowhere as bad as other diesel vehicles if any he reckons the Toyota's are renowned for this problem.
I was thinking about a clean for my 2012 Ranger but told me not to worry unless I start to experience problems.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2022, 02:52 PM   #268
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$2.20/L out here at the moment,

Next two tanks in mine I'm going to chuck E10 in it and see what that brings the cents per kilometre down to - E10 $1.68/L at the moment
So the diesel will cost just over 20c / km
Old 23-12-2022, 05:10 PM   #269
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Im sure there are, but youre missing the point.
The EGR cooler on PX Rangers are a known and common problem, im sure that many do hundreds of thousands of km's without issue and many fail under warranty on vehicles with full dealer history, no different to Falcon heat exchangers.
I consider it a preventative maintenance expense as the alternative, should I be one of the unlucky many, is 10x the cost to repair.
So the choices are replace it every 5 years, as you could do with a Falcon heat exchanger, or delete it once and for all illiminating the cross contamination, again, like a heat exchanger.
Either way, its a job that requires the EGR valve and housing removed, coolant system opened up and the fuel filter removed.
With all that out of the way you'd be mad not to go the extra yard and pull the intake to clean or replace it whilst its right there and easily accessible.
So too the glow plugs, may never have a problem but whilst your in there, worth doing.
I like my **** clean, there is no way in hell I'd not spend the coin to deal with the cooler or put it all back together with filthy parts.
If money we're an issue id do the job myself quite easily but I cant be bothered.
The only questions left for me to answer is do I shut the EGR down or drop a new cooler in, and do I pay someone to clean my old manifold or just put a new one on, the labour to clean it properly vs the cost of a new one.
Either way it will go back together clean.

Ive heard the same arguments against air/oil trans coolers, dont need it, factory designed it that way, mines done 50 million miles without a problem, installing an air/oil cooler is bad, blah, blah, blah.
I put one on my Falcons, my trans specialist and trusted mechanic of 30 years recommended it, who do you believe, some random on the internet or the guy who you trust to keep your car moving?
Never had a problem with it.
Old 23-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #270
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

To bring this back to the discussion on XL/XLS, Used Rangers command quite a Premium which is fair considering they are at the top of their segment, we paid mid 30's for a 5yr old at the time XLT with 90k's on it.
Prior to buying it I had a 3.2TD NS Pajero with 320k's on it, it was my first diesel and I was hesitant to be honest and soon read of the timing guide failures and DPF problems but I figured for what I paid for the milage and condition, a few dollars on preventative maintenance would be acceptable.
In the end I sold it before I got around to spending any real money on it and we bought the Ranger.
I figured with only 90k's on it, full history, pre DPF model, the risk is greatly reduced.
Then I started reading of the possible issues and I thought far out you spend 3x as much on a vehicle with 1/3rd the k's and its still got its common issues that can be terminal.

You start to question whether buying well maintained used in the highly regarded Ranger price bracket is actually a good decision when for the same coin you could buy a brand spanking new vehicle that'll do 90% of what the Ranger can do under full warranty albeit without the Ranger badge.
If Ford offered an XLS dual cab Hi Rider with petrol turbo for even mid 40's we'd be keen as mustard but unfortunately they wont give the EB option and want 50k for the XLS diesel.
For a stripped-out version of what I've already got minus 20kw and a bunch of torque I might as well buy the GWM and save the 15k.

Last edited by BENT_8; 23-12-2022 at 06:05 PM.