Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Old vans to be turned into Covert Flash for Cash

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...82-952,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.news.com.au

Robyn Ironside and Michael Crutcher

January 04, 2010 11:00pm

OLD vans that have to be made roadworthy are set to be in the first fleet of covert speed cameras rolled out on Queensland roads.

The reconditioned wrecks will be part of a varied group of vehicles used in the stealth assault on speed.

Police will handpick their fleet and expect to turn an old van worth a few thousand dollars into a vehicle that could reap tens of thousands in fines.

Older vehicles must be restored to roadworthy status, rewired and fitted with airconditioning and powerful batteries. None of the covert cameras will bear police markings.

"If it's going to be a covert operation there will be no signage at all because that would defeat the purpose of it," Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said yesterday.

"Covert would be truly covert and that would mean anywhere, anytime, any vehicle."

The Courier-Mail, in conjunction with police and the State Government, yesterday launched the "Brake the Habit" campaign aimed at reducing the road toll in 2010.

The Government has already announced plans to boost its anti-speeding strategy, and the first unmarked cameras will start snapping lead-footed motorists from as early as June.

Police have trialled three unmarked vehicles, taken from the existing speed camera fleet of 30 vans.

Police Minister Neil Roberts said up to 30 per cent of speed camera hours would be clocked by unmarked vans.

"If we are serious about reducing the road toll, we have to dramatically change driver behaviour," Mr Roberts said.

"Human factors account for over 90 per cent of road fatalities. Increasing the chance and uncertainty of detection is a powerful motivator in changing driver behaviour."

Queensland's road toll has been below 300 only once in 55 years. In 1998, 279 people died in the first full year speed cameras were deployed.

Queensland is following the Victorian method after that state brought its road toll to its lowest level since records began in 1952.

Victorian roads have been policed by covert cameras for more than 20 years. The cameras have been housed in vans, utes and sedans.

Victoria's top traffic cop said the devices had been one of the most significant factors in their reduced toll.

"We don't announce where they are or where they're going to be," Deputy Commissioner Ken Lay said.

"The research is very, very clear right across the world that if you drop the speed level, you cut the level of road trauma."

Mr Lay said Victoria's fixed cameras were rarely signed for motorists but a website listed full details of all camera locations.

Mr Atkinson conceded it was possible Queensland could move towards the Victorian model where all mobile speed cameras operated covertly.

"It's up to us to show in the course of this year and perhaps beyond that, what's working and what isn't working," Mr Atkinson said.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Victoria's top traffic cop said the devices had been one of the most significant factors in their reduced toll.

I like that

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

not just vans, they're also using sedans and utes. they reckon any vehicle any time any where. looks like i'll be heading out to the old dirt tracks.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
GHO57
Frequent Fryer Card

Should spend the money on teaching people to drive, eg: ways to prevent an accident, rather than just make the $ without teaching ppl how to drive.
GHO57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how is not knowing you have been caught speeding going to slow you down???
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gee they're actually not that bright hey, so im flying down the M1 at 150 and go past one of these old vans with infared flash, no idea i've been caught so i keep speeding then 5 minutes later cause a 5 car pile up with everyone dead..Speed camera certainly saved our lives there hey!!

The only way to reduce speeding is more marked HWP cars out on duty, where they catch you in the act. Other than that maybe they should shove some cash into driver training!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bloody hell QLD be scared. Ken Lay is not the kind of person I'd take any advice from, he's nothing but a muppet.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and this is why no one cares anymore whether they drive over the speed limit, with or without licenses, or any regard for road rules.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

This is a direct result of letting all the muppets and mexicans in, back in '55 only banana benders lived in the "tropics" and we were too busy fishing and drinking to worry about speeding

maybe we need to put out the welcome MAT......Mexican Avoidance Tax

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

easy, look for old van's on the side of the road, with a new air con unit sticking a foot out of the rusty roof ;). then take great joy in knowing blight provides you objects for target practice with what ever method you so choose

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 litre paint cans.

(no i do not endorse unilateral paint attacks on government property)

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want a 4wd and some snatch straps
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Similar to putting them in rubbish bins...which has been done in SA

AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
Similar to putting them in rubbish bins...which has been done in SA

Man don't you wish you were a garbo truck driver.....just pick it up and try to empty it, rattle it around a bit, knock it over.

Or throw a large maccas drink (still full) into it while you walk past...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Not the 'Flash for cash' I was expecting...
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe plate theft will now become higher? motorists are an easy target for the money hungry poli's

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
brownieXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
how is not knowing you have been caught speeding going to slow you down???
The theory is that you never know where they are so you slow down and obey the limits at all times, not really too difficult if you ask me.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh man just another grab to the back pockets of regular australians who will inevitably get pinged for 1-2kmh over the limit by some old jalopy Threads like this really get me fired up honestly if the aim of these things was to slow cars down then have a pair of them 100mt apart or something, one to light up a sign telling the motorist they are speeding, and if they ignore the sign a second to snap them speeding, unless they are going stupid quick then deploy spike strips instantly - thats how you slow people down and save lives WITHOUT cashing in. Not revenue raising my ****

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Apparently the public will be able to tender to operate the vans for profit. How cool is that.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie79
The theory is that you never know where they are so you slow down and obey the limits at all times, not really too difficult if you ask me.
And if the limits were appropriate for roads and traffic levels then that probably would not be a problem.

Unfortunately they are set by southern city based academic idiots who only ever see what happens in their city and think the whole of Australia is exactly the same.

The simple fact is:

IF THE SPEED LIMITS WERE APPROPRIATE THEN THERE WOULD NOT BE MANY MILLIONS OF SPEEDING FINES ISSUED.

Not really too difficult if you ask me.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Man don't you wish you were a garbo truck driver.....just pick it up and try to empty it, rattle it around a bit, knock it over.

Or throw a large maccas drink (still full) into it while you walk past...

they only put the bin cameras out on non collection days so that this doesnt happen, unfortunatly :
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr82nv
they only put the bin cameras out on non collection days so that this doesnt happen, unfortunatly :

Well get some underage kids to run past and grab them......do a runner with the bin and giggle about it.

I will be interested to see how much more the public will take of speed camera's in general. These hidden ones may well cause some additional issues with anyone who parks on the footpath....might come home to find your car has been smashed up because someone thought it was a speed camera car.

I play Hearts of Iron...in the game you have a dissent percentage. Make bad decisions and the dissent grows....I wonder what Australia's dissent would be currently....Or more importantly I wish modern people didn't have memories like bloody gold fish.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #23
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fill the bin with concrete and wait for it to set
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
Assassinbm

Keep em coming Capt Bligh, the plank is nearing completion
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

technically, speed cameras do save lives...... put enough of the damn things out, eventually everyone will lose thier licences, and with nobody left on the roads, the government will triumphantly announce how speed cameras have eliminated road deaths.....
Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Oh yeah because everybody knows that 100% of road accidents are caused by people doing 105km/h in a 100 zone.

I would like to predict that as soon as these are deployed, the number of speeding fines will go down, and the number of accidents will go up, purely and simply because people will drive along looking only at the speedo, and not at the road.

The last time the Qld govt made a good decision regarding the transport sector was... bloody hell I cant even think of one.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #27
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
technically, speed cameras do save lives...... put enough of the damn things out, eventually everyone will lose thier licences, and with nobody left on the roads, the government will triumphantly announce how speed cameras have eliminated road deaths.....

and then you will get fisted even more in the hip pocket in another way.

why you think they deploy so many camera's? CASH.

they don't care really about whether u live or die. they only pay lip service because if they do care, they would actually do something rather then just jam out new camera's

like-

uniform australian road rules

2 lane highways all they way from city to city.

concrete barriers ala europe

higher speeds on certain roads

better education

make pedestrians liable for their own stupidity eg- you get hit by a car while jaywalking, no govt help for you and you are liab;le for the cars damage, whether you are drunk or not.

raise speed tolerance levels to 9% of any given speed limit

release pictures of repeat drunk driver offenders, and bar them from even being able to own a car

etc.

its either do that, or people will take matters into tehir own hands with these camera's.

we will go down the path of england and europe.

they seem to fight back.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s

they don't care really about whether u live or die. they only pay lip service because if they do care, they would actually do something rather then just jam out new camera's

like-

uniform australian road rules

2 lane highways all they way from city to city.

concrete barriers ala europe

higher speeds on certain roads

better education

make pedestrians liable for their own stupidity eg- you get hit by a car while jaywalking, no govt help for you and you are liab;le for the cars damage, whether you are drunk or not.

raise speed tolerance levels to 9% of any given speed limit

release pictures of repeat drunk driver offenders, and bar them from even being able to own a car

etc.
Now we can't have that. That's using common sense and we all know that disappeared a long time ago. And there is no money in people realising that speed won't kill them.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #29
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

*sighs*

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sarcasm

yes people, i was taking the mickey......
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And if the limits were appropriate for roads and traffic levels then that probably would not be a problem.

Unfortunately they are set by southern city based academic idiots who only ever see what happens in their city and think the whole of Australia is exactly the same.

The simple fact is:

IF THE SPEED LIMITS WERE APPROPRIATE THEN THERE WOULD NOT BE MANY MILLIONS OF SPEEDING FINES ISSUED.

Not really too difficult if you ask me.......
So then the coffers wouldnt be as full as they would be (even though they are just paying off debt for the state). I doubt they are going to change the limits so that this money isnt raised. But i do agree with you Flap that most of the limits arent really suitable in the area they are posted.

Anna you have 1 foot off the plank, its time to go.......
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post