Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone know much about Toyota Aristo's?

My cousin is looking to trade his BF XR6 in to enter the "Ricer" scene.

He's looking at a Twin Turbo Toyota Aristo, anyone know much about them? They look alright, basically a bigger luxurious Camry.

Apparently they have the Supra 2jz engine? Is it worth the trade?

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...e=15&__Dx=mode matchany&__D=aristo&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=125F9D4 CF540&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 904&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_I nt32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__ Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Cr=6&__Ntt=aristo&trecs=16

Thats the car hes looking at ^^^^

redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of potential to be quick, good sleeper cars. however for an import they are quite heavy very similar in weight to a BA/BF falcon. insurance is cheap though
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
loosey

Mate of a mate has one and couldn't be more thrilled with it, it will out perform and out handle his xr6 (assuming it's not an xr6t). Biggest downsides when comparing to the bf is the age and looks. Having said that though the build quality is years ahead of the ford.
The one in that link looks to be a good example, on a lot of imports you have to watch the kms. Look for wear on the seats, door trims and steering wheel (that one looks good).
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
buickman
buickman

Looks like a Gen 3 series Camry to me.

Most likely well built but no real saftey items on the car plus the inline 6 Toyota mtr is the least reliable in the Toyota camp.

I would stick with the Ford XR6 newer with more safety features.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

Aristos are pretty Cool. 2JZ, Lexus interior, but mostly, if not all, are autos.
Its a Toyota, so expect it to last forever, the engine is famous, and rightfully so, and they are very very full of electrics and features. If I was to get a Jap car, an Aristo would be it.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, been scouting around on youtube, they're not to bad, they actually sound alright, not to ricey like skylines.... It be a good cruiser, anyone know what the diff/suspension setup is? Would LSD be standard?
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Kryton

Awesome cars but starting to age.
the engine is the same as the Supra engine so mods are easy.

Very luxury and has the power to back it up - an all round nice cruiser thats a touch different.

Do an insurance quote before you go buying one though, a V8 Soarer is around $1000pa for me - 13 years driving, no accidents and in the country.
Might be a bit of a shock in the city.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Zero_PSI
Banned

Hope he owns a bottomless lake of fuel.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

They made an AWD V8 version

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its got the 2JZGTE I6 which is pretty much one of the best I6s ever made. Official figures for that in the Supra when it was new, was 0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds and quarter mile in 13.7. I know the Aristo is a different car but I'm guessing the Aristo would be a bit slower.

Article in unique cars says that when you push the 2JZ it can get up to 30L/100km.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
GTP 290

My house mate brought one a while back and long story short it didn't make it home. None of the Aristo/lexus GS-300 came with the LSD as standard. Also in top gear in the auto at 110km/h it was revving at 3200rpm which is quite high for the 2JZ. Also according to some toyota experts none of them ever came from factory turbocharged but alot got the supra bits and pieces added on while still in japan.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
loosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Also according to some toyota experts none of them ever came from factory turbocharged but alot got the supra bits and pieces added on while still in japan.
: What?

Mate, go on any supra forum (don't know any off hand) even hardtuned.net or skylinesaustralia.com. You're less likely to get told fairytales...
Has your friend thought about a Chaser? About the same money and a lot nicer (IMO).
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

www.supraforums.com.au is the biggest aussie one I think. Lots of good information there
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

what? they are not based off a camry, for starters they are RWD.

the 2J in aristo's is factory TT setup, not bolt on, not aftermarket.. no lsd as standard due to TRC being fitted but easily changed as supra diff's bolt in ;).

I owned a later model GS300 same thing but with lexus badge and no turbo.. they are ok but dont expect it to handle better than a BA/BF XR6, having said that they are like 12 years old so for what they are they are exceptional value.

Quote:
Most likely well built but no real saftey items on the car plus the inline 6 Toyota mtr is the least reliable in the Toyota camp.
WHAT? how is that so?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
GTP 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
: What?

Mate, go on any supra forum (don't know any off hand) even hardtuned.net or skylinesaustralia.com. You're less likely to get told fairytales...
Has your friend thought about a Chaser? About the same money and a lot nicer (IMO).
I was moreso refering to the Lexus GS-300 if that helps.

Oh and if I was looking for legit information the last place I would look is a forum.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

supra forums is ok in my book, like on this site they have some very clued up guys.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
loosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
I was moreso refering to the Lexus GS-300 if that helps.

Oh and if I was looking for legit information the last place I would look is a forum.
Pretty sure this topic is moreso refering to aristos.

Why wouldn't you look at a forum? Generally that's where enthusiasts go to share information on their preference in car. I suggested jap orientated forums because he's less likely to get people with an agenda misinforming him.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 AM   #18
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I have been playing with JDM imports for quite a few years now and have driven a few Aristo's. They're basically a Japanese version of the original Lexus GS300. The twin-turbo's go well but are VERY thirsty. There was an AWD V8 as Road_Warrior mentioned but they are a slug and also very thirsty. The V8 model was never that popular here.

The better car for your mate if he's looking at JDM 'ricer' stuff is the JZX100/JZX101 Toyota Chaser/Cresta/MarkII. (1996-2001) They are a newer car for starters. They came in 2.5L twin-turbo as well as 3.0L non-turbo. They also had good safety features like stability control & traction control, brake assist as well as airbags in the sides of the seats etc.

Another good choice is a Y34 Nissan Gloria/Cedric. They went from 1999-2004 . They are also RWD and come with a 3.0L V6 turbo engine (VQ30DET) and are a very nice car to drive. They are quite economical and also have heaps of safety features like the Chaser (eg traction control, stability control. airbags in the seats etc.)
I regularly get to drive a 2000 model Cedric and always enjoy driving it. They certainly go well too. Plus, they're a lot cheaper to buy than the Toyota's.

If your mate can be convinced to stay with Ford though, the XR6 would be a better choice than any of the above and would certainly be my choice if finances etc weren't an issue. Going from a BF XR6 to an Aristo is certainly a step backwards too. The newest one of those that can be imported is 1997. They're getting old now. :P
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #19
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VERY quick with only minor mods. Nice VIP car.

Plus toyota engineering and toyota build quality.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
pgauke

Check out jdmstyletuning forums heaps of great info there....
pgauke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post