Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
351Fordgrunt
351 Cleveland

Exclamation Ford Focus 2003 Engine Stalls??

Hello my partner seems to be having issues with her 03 focus lx sedan, it just dies. Completely stalling and stopping even at 100km/h. It seems to happen on hot days but has only done this 3 to 4 times. The worst part is we have paid FORD $200 to fix this problem (car meant to under warranty not if cleaning fuel system though??)but all they could say is that was one of the cleanist fuel systems they have seen. I have read some where else that ford recalled these models(unsure if they did in oz though) problem being the fuel delivery module i think, which for some reason close's which in turn stalls the car . My biggest problem is my partner nearly got rear ended when this has happened so it is a big safety issue too. No one can seem to fix it and I don't like throwing the $$$ away for nothing. If anyone can help or has any advice that would be great.
CHEERS

351Fordgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

From memory there was a TSB out for this which involved an ECU update. Have they done that?
Old 24-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
FRA
Mr Focus

There is no warranty by Ford, you shouldn't of had to pay Ford 1 cent
It maybe a ECU problem or some other engine part
How many Km do you have on it?
Hope you find out the problem so that you can get your Focus back on the road again
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #4
351Fordgrunt
351 Cleveland

I Do seem to recall a ecu update at about 30000km, the car has 60000km on the clock. Here is the information I found out about fuel delivery module.
2000 FORD FOCUS FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Recall Date: 11/19/2003

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.

Consequence:
THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected: 671000

Notes: FORD FOCUS 03N01

Thanks heaps for your replys I should have also mentioned that the car amazingly fixes itself, but it has been quite warm (30+ degrees)the days it has problems.
Old 24-03-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I wonder if it has anything to do with the emergency fuel shut off valve?

Is that TSB above for Australia? I certainly have never received any notification from Ford
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that would be American because we don't say gasoline here. It could be the emergency fuel shut off valve. Hope you find out what is wrong with it

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
351Fordgrunt
351 Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Fordgrunt
I Do seem to recall a ecu update at about 30000km, the car has 60000km on the clock. Here is the information I found out about fuel delivery module.
2000 FORD FOCUS FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Recall Date: 11/19/2003

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.

Consequence:
THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Potential Units Affected: 671000

Notes: FORD FOCUS 03N01

Thanks heaps for your replys I should have also mentioned that the car amazingly fixes itself, but it has been quite warm (30+ degrees)the days it has problems.
The article is from u.s.a but the car displays the problems above!!
And it drove fine again this morning!! Cool change came only 20 degrees