Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default after market sattelite navigation

i have been checking out sattelite navigation (aftermarket) there are so many and looking at reviews on a particular model , one review praised it up another said it had bugs in it , reading street names etc, the one i was looking at was a Navman s90i, any info would be good or recomendation for another type .
cheers mik

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I have a Mio 520. I reckon its great at 438 bucks (bought Aug 07). Has BT, text 2 speech. Everything that I would want really.

Some people have said its crap but I reckon its great.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Check this thread out, it has a few recommendations from myself and others.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11226611

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are you using it for? personal, deliveries, etc?
and where are you using it? off road in remote areas, or built up city suburbia?

navmans are fantastic but i hate any interface besides the garmin ones... but im biased

navman and garmin are giving you latest updates as well (2009), garmin to anyone who purchased after 1st may, navman im not sure, tomtom i dont care what they do LOL

again i would entirely favour geting the garmin Nuvi 760 instead

easier to use interface by a million times
text to speech (reads out street names)
FM transmitter (use car speakers instead)
Bluetooth handsfree (from demo-ing in the shop garmins seem more compatible with phones then any other brand and heaps easier to setup too... f'n hate the tomtom setup)
garmin cashback (free money)
garmin quality (ive sold 30 Nuvi 310's alone and about 60-70 GPS units in garmin alone and ive had 3 come back, 1 was user error who thought of deleting everything on the gps for the upgrade, 2 had faulty antennas)
since the swap from GME to Garmin australasia you will wait a long time on the phone, its the only bad thing to say about them

S90i
text to speech
Navpix - take pictures of places and you can navigate back to it later... ie your house and it store info on where you are (only 2mp so its only convenient for holiday snaps if your cameras battery is dead)
other features identical to Nuvi 760 basically just a camera on top

navman have a 40min wait to a 1 man call centre, i garuntee youll get the same person if you call at 9am and 4pm, i always do.... the S50 had dramas where almost every single one came back, S90i arent something that sells everyday but every customer loves theres

have a play with them all that your interested in, check places that you visit frequently i know a few places that have been there for ages arent on any GPS
and roads do change in real life compared to the maps - i cant change it WHEREIS does

theres not alot of margin in anything GPS but haggle, i think in a while new models or updated models are being released, garmin are making waterproof Nuvi GPS's for use on water and car and i think navman were revising some models, tomtom have already released most of their updated models.... means old ones should be cheap

good luck and buy a garmin :P

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i have been checking out sattelite navigation (aftermarket) there are so many and looking at reviews on a particular model , one review praised it up another said it had bugs in it , reading street names etc, the one i was looking at was a Navman s90i, any info would be good or recomendation for another type .
cheers mik

I've been using a Tom Tom OneXL for teh past 5 months and it's the best money i've spent in ages...very reliable and practical...Recommended
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
what are you using it for? personal, deliveries, etc?
and where are you using it? off road in remote areas, or built up city suburbia?

navmans are fantastic but i hate any interface besides the garmin ones... but im biased

navman and garmin are giving you latest updates as well (2009), garmin to anyone who purchased after 1st may, navman im not sure, tomtom i dont care what they do LOL

again i would entirely favour geting the garmin Nuvi 760 instead

easier to use interface by a million times
text to speech (reads out street names)
FM transmitter (use car speakers instead)
Bluetooth handsfree (from demo-ing in the shop garmins seem more compatible with phones then any other brand and heaps easier to setup too... f'n hate the tomtom setup)
garmin cashback (free money)
garmin quality (ive sold 30 Nuvi 310's alone and about 60-70 GPS units in garmin alone and ive had 3 come back, 1 was user error who thought of deleting everything on the gps for the upgrade, 2 had faulty antennas)
since the swap from GME to Garmin australasia you will wait a long time on the phone, its the only bad thing to say about them

S90i
text to speech
Navpix - take pictures of places and you can navigate back to it later... ie your house and it store info on where you are (only 2mp so its only convenient for holiday snaps if your cameras battery is dead)
other features identical to Nuvi 760 basically just a camera on top

navman have a 40min wait to a 1 man call centre, i garuntee youll get the same person if you call at 9am and 4pm, i always do.... the S50 had dramas where almost every single one came back, S90i arent something that sells everyday but every customer loves theres

have a play with them all that your interested in, check places that you visit frequently i know a few places that have been there for ages arent on any GPS
and roads do change in real life compared to the maps - i cant change it WHEREIS does

theres not alot of margin in anything GPS but haggle, i think in a while new models or updated models are being released, garmin are making waterproof Nuvi GPS's for use on water and car and i think navman were revising some models, tomtom have already released most of their updated models.... means old ones should be cheap

good luck and buy a garmin :P
I have orderd the Garmin Nuvi 760 as a dealer fit with my new XR ute. Biggest advantage for me is being able to download UK and US maps for when I travel OS with work. It will also enable me (I hope) to use blue tooth mobile phone in rental cars overseas.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Garmins are absolute RUBBISH. I am yet to sell one that hasnt come back within a month with a broken screen or some other issue.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Tom Tom here...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the reply`s very much, just want one for getting around the suburbs of melbourne mostly, i think i`ll have a wander around and try out these these ones you`ve recomended, a nice easey to use one would be great for technology challenged ex trucky .
cheers mik.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #10
Matty4
Banana

TomTom GO720 FTW!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

TomTom GO910 here 20 gb Hdd in it
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to be a pain i just thought of something, my little brother had mobile phone gps set up , when we tried it some time ago, it worked ok ..........until we deviated off the route it was trying to send us, it pretty much seemed to have trouble redoing an alternative route, is this something that any of these popular brands are likely to have a problem with?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
smally289
growing up is optional

Ive had a Navman S50 for a couple of months and it seems to cope with route changes quite well. It has to be set up right, depending on your preferred style. The S50 (and others too I suspect) have asetting for quickest route/shortest distance and another setting for major highway use against secondary roads. Altering these 2 will give you different routes. It took me a while to get this sorted, now its great!
I chose the Navman over the Tomtom for 2 reasons, the Navman had bluetooth for my phone and has a better windscreen mount. The Tomtom mount seemed a bit flimsy to me and came off the glass too easily.
Other models may have different features, I was comparing the S50 to the OneXL
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another TomTom fan here. Highly recommended. Overseas maps are great and about the cheapest too. A bit more user friendly than some other brands too.

PS. Don't leave them set to walking routes, then get back in the car and try and follow those. Why I did this overseas when a simple look out the windscreen would have shown it was probably not the best road to take (or even a road at all) is anyones guess. You hear about people doing stupid things like that - never for a minute thought I would be one of them. Must have been because I was upside down in another hemisphere. Makes for a great vid my wife took. Will have to put that on You Tube one day as a lesson not to blindly trust your GPS, especially when you program it wrong.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
sorry to be a pain i just thought of something, my little brother had mobile phone gps set up , when we tried it some time ago, it worked ok ..........until we deviated off the route it was trying to send us, it pretty much seemed to have trouble redoing an alternative route, is this something that any of these popular brands are likely to have a problem with?
All of them have a re-route feature, Navman's is called "Back on Track" which basically re-routes you if you miss a turn or make a wrong one etc. Its fairly quick - I actually used my S30 in Melbourne yesterday and it only took it about 10 seconds to work out where I was after I turned too early.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #16
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Use a TomTom OneXL when I go on longer trips, I found it really easy to use, my Mum who had never used any GPS and isn't overly good with much in the way of technology, was able to use it VERY easily also. Never seems to have a problem re-calculating a route.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1`m still weighing up options, had a look at some reviews, it seems the biggest complaint is incorrect maps, and is common to most brands some worse than other`s, i have one more question(sorry), Tom Tom on one model has map share feature,anyone know how does this work? i`m guessing after you paid for the gps, there is a link on the net where owners can make corrections to maps and can be down loaded, thanks again
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Check out the Uniden 8365 , , , red light camera, and Bluetooth, and It will play a video file without stopping and starting, ,

$199 ! - RRP - $539
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
scooby

Wife has a TomTom, unreliable crap, I don't know what all the fuss is about.
I recently bought a Mio. Great so far, simple to use and reliable.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
henry_ford
order taker

Because mazda does not have a "factory sat nav" i have sold stacks of non genuine sat nav's. ( i sell mazda's for AMR Mazda in Petersham sydney)
The best products i have seen are the Navman ones. i have no experiance with garmin however we used to push Tom Tom.
Navman s50 with bluetooth is the current givaway of choice.
So a plug for them, very easy to use and look ace.
henry_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I bought a Navman S30, and it's been good so far.

The only thing that annoys me is that you have to accept the Safety Agreement everytime you switch it on.

I know it's to stop you suing them if you have an accident, and that they need to cater to the lowest common denominator, but it gets very annoying, very fast.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Tom Tom all the way

Never had an issue with her
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post